• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What are you reading?

The Martian by Andy Weir

Astronaut accidentally left behind on Mars. Fights to survive until the next mission comes along.

Not great literature, and too technical for my puny brain, but I just kept reading it because I wanted to know what happened.

I thought that it was the technical content that made the book interesting, the physics of survival in the harsh Martian environment.

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.

Worth reading if you would like a different perspective on the success and failure of governments.

That is, of course, if you are not already Machiavellian...muahahahahahaaaa...

Currently reading Blood Cross by Faith Hunter, and so far it is a solid tale with Shapeshifters, Witches and Vampires in a modern setting

Plowing my way through the complete works of HP Lovecraft - In the midst of the "The Mountains of Madness" right now. Got a handful of stories left to go.

Just finished the "Empire Trilogy" by Raymond E Feist and Janny Wurts.

Patchily good but otherwise quite a slog to read, to the point of being overlong. As for the main character - oh, does she ever make a mistake? There's quite a bit of political maneuvering here, but it's no rival for Game of Thrones. Cersei would eat her for breakfast.

The Rosie Project, by Graeme Simsion.

We're reading it aloud, and laughing a lot.

The Whipping Star, by Frank Herbert.

"A dazzling NEW book from the author of 'Dune'" ... It was a Nel edition, sold in New Zealand for $1.35 to one B. Nash, probably about 42 years ago.

The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails

http://www.amazon.com/The-Christian-Delusion-Faith-Fails/dp/1616141689/

Only on the second chapter right now. It purports to be a bit more academic than the usual atheist book, and the authors are mostly academics, but it's clearly intended for mass consumption. The book goes into the sort of details a lot of other atheists books don't cover: such as the reason religion exists in the first place, and it addresses a lot of specific arguments used by Christians (particularly evangelicals).

Finished Tales of Old Japan (1871) - Lord Redesdale. Interesting descriptions of ceremony, culture and psychology.

Starting Appaloosa- Robert B. Parker. (Watched the video recently)

Back
Top Bottom