• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What are you reading?

To go from the sublime to the less so, I just finished the most recent Rhys Bowen Royal Spyness mystery -- the conceit is that of an impoverished distant relation of the British Royal Family essentially solves mysteries at the behest of the Queen of England in the 1930s.

Rob

They could at least have paid a little attention. England had a King for all of the 1930s.

ijust had a lovely surprise. In the Time Traveller's Almanac I came across an Ursula leGuin short story I hadn't read before.

Picking up Mom Genes: Inside the Science of Our Ancient Maternal Instinct by Abigail Tucker. I started it back in May and then got side tracked with a lot of house projects and left this on the shelf...

I have a lot of stuff on my shelves I need to get to.

They could at least have paid a little attention. England had a King for all of the 1930s
Having a queen as monarch precludes the existence of a king; But not the other way around.

Wikipedia said:
Mary of Teck (Victoria Mary Augusta Louise Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes; 26 May 1867 – 24 March 1953) was Queen of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions, and Empress of India, from 6 May 1910 until 29 January 1936 as the wife of King-Emperor George V.

Wikipedia said:
Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon (4 August 1900 – 30 March 2002) was Queen of the United Kingdom and the Dominions from 11 December 1936 to 6 February 1952 as the wife of King George VI. She was the last Empress of India from her husband's accession as King-Emperor in 1936 until 15 August 1947, when the British Raj was dissolved. After her husband died, she was known as Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, to avoid confusion with her daughter, Queen Elizabeth II.

The only time in the 1930s when England did not have a queen was the brief reign of Edward VIII, between January and December of 1936.

African Religions: A Very Short Introduction

This is my first title in this series, I thought it'd be interesting seeing such a broad topic summed up concisely. I like it a lot, it's refreshing to read a title on Africa that's actually written by an African. Now I'm debating splurging on Nkrumah's Neo-Colonialism.

I'll have to go through the series list in this title and see if any others pique my interest. Way back when I considered the introduction on Marx, but still haven't gone there.

We might also have the Introduction to Racism kicking around from a former tenant. I can't recall if I got rid of it or not.

They could at least have paid a little attention. England had a King for all of the 1930s.
As Bilby noted, it also had a queen for the majority of the decade. She wasn't the reigning monarch, but Queen Mary -- who was the queen in question -- is the one being referred to in my brief summary.

Rob

Miss Benson’s Beetle. Reading with my book club. It’s a fun read.

Leviathan Falls - final book in The Expanse series. Had to get the ebook version because I couldn't wait for paperback to arrive in Australia (both Dymocks and Amazon said they were OOS, man I wish Borders was still around)

It's...okay. There really isn't anything surprising in the last book One thing I noticed was how prominent the "whedonesque sarcasm" is shown in so many characters. If anyone has checked to see what the original ending of Mass Effect was supposed to be, the finale was pretty obvious. It does tie everything up into a bow however. To put it on the spectrum of endings, it's not as terrible as Raymond E Feist Magician series but not as good as Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory ending. It lies pretty much in the middle.

Leviathan Falls - final book in The Expanse series. Had to get the ebook version because I couldn't wait for paperback to arrive in Australia (both Dymocks and Amazon said they were OOS, man I wish Borders was still around)

It's...okay. There really isn't anything surprising in the last book One thing I noticed was how prominent the "whedonesque sarcasm" is shown in so many characters. If anyone has checked to see what the original ending of Mass Effect was supposed to be, the finale was pretty obvious. It does tie everything up into a bow however. To put it on the spectrum of endings, it's not as terrible as Raymond E Feist Magician series but not as good as Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory ending. It lies pretty much in the middle.
Regarding the ultimate end of the book, I'm somewhere between it being an honest ending and it being a cheap ending or maybe an honest ending via cheap means? The resolution seemed "obvious" as in saw it coming (though more what not as much how), but I think they at least explained it decently. There are aspects I like, but other parts that felt forced or contrived.

Not too spoiler-ish, but some people read between lines better than others:

100 pages left I'm wondering how are they going to resolve this. They are running out of time. And the honest part for the authors is they solve a couple problems but not another, and that was fine.

I had the urge so bought a few new books. Emile Durkheim: Selected Writings edited and introduced by Anthony Giddens, and The Sociobiological Imagination by Mary Maxwell. I've only picked up the Durkheim title so far, but like it a lot. I also bit the bullet and ordered a new copy of Giddens' The Constitution of Society, which hasn't arrived yet. I was supposed to get a well priced copy from a local, but they couldn't find it.

I also pulled Nkrumah's Neo-Colonialism (for the second time) and a newer book on Neo-Colonialism from the library. Not as interested in these, but picking at them here and there.

I also picked up The Constitution of Society by Anthony Giddens from Weldon a few weeks ago. I've flipped through it and am not as impressed as I thought I'd be, but it's a decent book. So far I'm enjoying my Weber titles a bit more.

I feel a bit dim-witted for saying this now. After going through my Dictionary of Sociology, and reading Durkheim I'm ready for it. I think it's one of those titles that really demands a close read.

My friend's little brother accidentally wound up on a mailing list and has since received multiple copies of The Sign by Robert Van Kampen. Since I'm a masochist atheist I grabbed one of the copies (sadly it is missing the "beautiful, full-color end-times chart") and subjected myself to reading it over the past couple of weeks.

On the one hand, it provides a lot more clarity than I've seen from other sources (mostly internet nuts) about what some end times believers think is happening or will happen soon. Spoiler alert! The Antichrist will be a resurrected Adolf Hitler! On the other hand, it is extremely repetitive, citing the same pieces of scripture over and over and over again. It could probably have been 100 pages shorter and still communicated the same wacky information.

It's amusing to me that the author claims to be a strict literalist in his interpretation and that they spent a supposed 9,000 hours researching and ironing out apparent inconsistencies, but one of the biggest apparent discrepancies - namely, the "mysterious gap" between the 69th and 70th "week of Daniel" - is simply hand-waved away. It's hard for me to reconcile biblical calculus that predicts events occurring with claimed accuracy down to the day, and sometimes hour, with key date(s) being estimated as "between now and someday".

As an outsider, one might think that as believers encounter more and more mental gymnastics to support belief in biblical prophecy that this would lift the veil a little and reveal the underpinnings to be hackneyed bronze age mythology. However, it never ceases to amaze me how strong the cognitive dissonance can be when it comes to mainstream (or, in this case, fringe) religious beliefs.

I rate it 1 out of 10 and would not recommend it to anyone. The TLDR version is Hitler is coming back so make sure you don't dress immodestly in the meantime.

I've been relegated from the library due to Omicron so bought a few new ones recently:

The Adventures of Ibn Battuta by Ross Dunn
A New Interpretation of Chinese Taoist Philosophy by You-Sheng Li
Spirituality: A Very Short Introduction
The Philosophy of Law: A Very Short Introduction
The Class Structure of the Advanced Societies
by Anthony Giddens

I bought the first few to provide some lighter fare in between reading my new Giddens' titles, which are great but tough. I'm pretty much through Giddens' Constitution of Society now but did skim through the last few chapters. So will likely revisit. The above on class structure also looks fantastic, I'm looking forward to diving into it.

What's been interesting to me about reading Giddens' is how some of the ideas he notes that we're moving away from are so obviously wrong. Which I think speaks to where our collective understanding of the world actually is right now.

Nothing heavy. Going through the C.S.Forester, Horatio Hornblower adventures again. Otherwise Astronomy magazine when it arrives.

They are awesome! I reread them more often than the Master and Commander books, in part because there are fewer of them.

Just finished the complete science fiction short stories of Fredric Brown, as well as a collection of his mysteries. With short stories, Brown was a master of the twist ending. For instance, one of his stories involves a reporter undercover in an insane asylum, claiming to be Napoleon Bonaparte.

Twist: the guy actually IS Napoleon Bonaparte. It all makes sense in context.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom