• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is god?

God is the imaginary answer to all our questions...
Yeah. And we all know that questions aren't fish hooks for the imagination.

Hot girls in fish nets? Funny- Bella the kitty just started mewling at me when I said that.

Mostly, God is an excuse either for not taking responsibility or for not thinking.

Determinism is another excuse for not taking responsibility. Is it not the general view among atheists here that there is no freewill and that therefore human beings are not truly responsible for their actions?

Do you believe that individuals are wholly responsible for their actions?

As for 'not thinking', that's just silly. We have thousands of years and megavolumes upon megavolumes of literature written by quite thoughtful people who believed in God, and by thoughtful people who didn't. I'd venture to suggest that the God idea has been the catalyst for more thought than just about any other topic, except perhaps Death.

But a lot of that isn't original thought, it was just rationalizing.
Like Pascal's Wager. Doesn't help you figure which god is real, but it does let you rationalize the fact that you believe in _A_ god, letting you think you're one up on those silly atheists.

But a lot of that isn't original thought, it was just rationalizing.
Like Pascal's Wager. Doesn't help you figure which god is real, but it does let you rationalize the fact that you believe in _A_ god, letting you think you're one up on those silly atheists.

How would you define 'original thought'?

The little girl who the other day ran back across the railway and snatched two babies whom she saw in danger, “crashing them down,” as a bystander said, “between herself” and the safe platform, giving herself to certain death under the advancing engine but saving the babes without a scratch. She was a greater preacher of righteousness and of the ways of God than all the fathers of the Church who ever were born to write. - Florence Nightingale.

Mostly, God is an excuse either for not taking responsibility or for not thinking.

Determinism is another excuse for not taking responsibility. Is it not the general view among atheists here that there is no freewill and that therefore human beings are not truly responsible for their actions?

No, that's not the case at all. Why would you think that?

No, that's not the case at all. Why would you think that?

Because I have taken part in dozens of threads about free will and determinism within this community and have found that there are many who claim that people do not have free will and are not responsible (not legally-wise so much as metaphysically-wise) for their actions. ie: individuals do not in the strictest sense choose their actions, nor do they have causative power. Perhaps DBT and fromderinside will back me up on this? We shall see...:joy:

Someone that people talk about in the 3rd person while they wait patiently for the people to stop babbling so that they can teach the right way to live.

Seems like a lot of children get caught on certain concepts and don't want to focus on anything else for a while (when we were children, my brother refused to eat anything but PB sammiches for about a year).

AthenaAwakened;

What is god?

The creator of the universe and life.

Do you mean Brahma?
What's with the hindU Brah Ma, the Xian A Bra Ham, and the Muslim I Bra Him?

One covers (brah ma- hides the nature of your creator), one is a nice reward, and the Muslim version reminds me of Deniro in Meet the Fockers, and I'm not sure that any wants to see me in a bra, except as an SNL skit.

Kharakov;

The same God hears all our prayers, despite our differences

Kharakov;

And you know this how?

It makes far more sense than the hindU Brah Ma, the Xian A Bra Ham, and the Muslim I Bra Him?
I asked how do you know, as in, can you offer any evidence for your interpretation. I already know you would prefer this interpretation.

The problem is, there are Christains who state, with scriptural references, that the Catholics are going to hell because they pray to saints within their Christain pantheon. The evangelicals are sure that prayer is worship, and Heaven is only for those who worship Jesus.
They are certainly not going to say there's biblical support for God hearing prayers that are sent to completely extra-pantheon characters like other gods.

So. How do you know your interpretation is correct, and not a heresy that will send people to hell in the fullness of time?

Kharakov;

And you know this how?

It makes far more sense than the hindU Brah Ma, the Xian A Bra Ham, and the Muslim I Bra Him?
I asked how do you know, as in, can you offer any evidence for your interpretation. I already know you would prefer this interpretation.

The problem is, there are Christains who state, with scriptural references, that the Catholics are going to hell because they pray to saints within their Christain pantheon. The evangelicals are sure that prayer is worship, and Heaven is only for those who worship Jesus.
They are certainly not going to say there's biblical support for God hearing prayers that are sent to completely extra-pantheon characters like other gods.

So. How do you know your interpretation is correct, and not a heresy that will send people to hell in the fullness of time?

Because I prefer a bra ham, I'll jump in the Hera Sea with Aphrodite.

What's a "fullness of time"?

Back
Top Bottom