• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What music are you listening to right now? (Warning: Lotsa videos)

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
37 years ago, Live Aid and people of a certain age still talk about the Queen set as being the best live performance ever seen;

And David Bowie at the top of his game;

thebeave

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

My older brother used to play the 45 of this song (Goin' up the Country) by Canned Heat back in the late '60's. I always thought Canned Heat wrote it. Surprised to find out its been around almost 100 years now!

ETA: Here is the Canned Heat version for comparison:

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen
This song has been stuck in my head for a few days. I played it more than a few times in my country radio career. Hard to believe it's 30 years old.

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Now, here is one gospel bluegrass song I actually like. I can't think of any other religious song that I like at all with or without regard to the meaning of the lyrics. I've always loved singing it. It's fun for my voice to sing. I love it in spite of the religious meaning. I never really cared about the meaning even back when I was serious about being a Christian. I never had any experience of joy or anything else in regard to looking forward to an afterlife and I can't recall a time when I was even interested in afterlife doctrine. I cared about being right in my religious beliefs here and now, a mindset that actually led me into critical thinking and the irreligious AF you see before you.

Anyway, all that to say that I love singing this song and I love hearing other people sing it, particularly female voices.

Here's a particularly nice one by some very talented kids:

And of course, I was especially blown away by this one by two of my most favorite ladygirl voices, Gillian Welch and Alison Krauss. This is more or less my gold standard for this song:

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
In the midst of a white girl/woman binge - singers, songwriters, covers, originals.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
ONJ was one of my idols growing up, but I liked the 70s stuff and didn't really like her 80s stuff.

And oh my god, in looking for a video or two of her 70s music, I see that the news just broke that she died! Very sad to hear. :sad:

A couple of my favorites:

Top Bottom