• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What precedent will prosecuting a former president set?

but why the fuck was Obongo never impeached?
^ That has to be the nagging question of all time. How the FUCK could that know nothing pretender get away with all that stuff and not be impeached? This has to be driving every conscientious patriot crazy.
First he stole the 2008 election, and fucked the entire economy, increased crime and let in every illegal he could for four years. So bad and everybody knew it. ... that's why he had to steal the 2012 election ... and just because Romney, just like that McCain coward, didn't have the cojones to mount an armed attack on the Capitol to prevent that illegal certification, we had another four years of wrecked economy, more wars and bringing America down.
Trump changed all that, and for one brief shining moment (after he fired Mike Flynn and before everyone else got fired, arrested and otherwise witch-hunted down) America was greater than ever before. So let's elect the guy whose palace was just raided by the FBI after a judge found probable cause to believe that evidence of a crime would be found there. Which proves that the FBI is just a tool of Hunter Biden, and once again the Democrats are trying to rig the election. But we're going to rise up, right?
At least that all is what I'm told.
That's fucking right. It's what THEY have been telling us all this time and libtards just don't listen.

I caught a few minutes of Faux Noise. They are already lying that this is an illegal Democratic witch hunt.
And the Secret Service is in on it!

Seriously, there's a detail at the property even though Trump wasn't there. So the Secret Service were the ones who let the FBI in.

Shit, as the saying goes, just got real.

I caught a few minutes of Faux Noise. They are already lying that this is an illegal Democratic witch hunt.

Seriously, there's a detail at the property even though Trump wasn't there. So the Secret Service were the ones who let the FBI in.

I doubt that they had a choice about letting them in with Trump not there. They are sworn to protect against threats to the ex-President's life, not against (entirely legal) threats of prosecution. That said, a number of right-wingers are expressing outrage over the number agents who participated in the raid. Maybe they wanted to overwhelmingly outnumber the Secret Service just in case?

I doubt that they had a choice about letting them in with Trump not there. They are sworn to protect against threats to the ex-President's life, not against (entirely legal) threats of prosecution. That said, a number of right-wingers are expressing outrage over the number agents who participated in the raid. Maybe they wanted to overwhelmingly outnumber the Secret Service just in case?
My understanding is that they served notice of the raid. Given that Trump still has SS protection, it was the only safe way to conduct the raid: Trump's detail knew they were coming. Interesting though to learn whether he tried to destroy evidence or whether the timing was specifically when he wouldn't be there....

The FBI raided former President Donald Trump’s Florida resort and home, Mar-A-Lago, he said Monday night.
“These are dark times for our Nation, as my beautiful home, Mar-A-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, raided, and occupied by a large group of FBI agents,” Trump said in a statement. “Nothing like this has ever happened to a President of the United States before.”
The circumstances of the raid are unclear, but the Justice Department has been ramping up its investigations into the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol and Trump’s efforts to remain in power after he lost the 2020 presidential election to Joe Biden.

Prosecutors have also reportedly homed in on Trump’s efforts to stay in power through widespread, and false, claims of voter fraud, as well as an effort to install slates of fake electors in battleground states that would circumvent the will of the people. The Washington Post reported last month that prosecutors had asked witnesses before grand juries detailed questions about meetings Trump held after his November, 2020 election loss and what instructions he gave his attorneys regarding the fake electors plan.

Too soon?
1660045241028.png

ETA: I'm quoting myself here, not Cheerful Charlie. I've never figured out how to remove layers of quotes with this software.
[Quoting fixed]
That said, a number of right-wingers are expressing outrage over the number agents who participated in the raid. Maybe they wanted to overwhelmingly outnumber the Secret Service just in case?
After further consideration, I believe that the large number of FBI agents were to show overwhelming force to the Trump supporters who gathered and have a history of attacking law enforcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FBI raided former President Donald Trump’s Florida resort and home, Mar-A-Lago, he said Monday night.
“These are dark times for our Nation, as my beautiful home, Mar-A-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, raided, and occupied by a large group of FBI agents,” Trump said in a statement. “Nothing like this has ever happened to a President of the United States before.”
The circumstances of the raid are unclear, but the Justice Department has been ramping up its investigations into the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol and Trump’s efforts to remain in power after he lost the 2020 presidential election to Joe Biden.

Prosecutors have also reportedly homed in on Trump’s efforts to stay in power through widespread, and false, claims of voter fraud, as well as an effort to install slates of fake electors in battleground states that would circumvent the will of the people. The Washington Post reported last month that prosecutors had asked witnesses before grand juries detailed questions about meetings Trump held after his November, 2020 election loss and what instructions he gave his attorneys regarding the fake electors plan.

Too soon?
View attachment 39780
Probably.

Yet...as many commentators (including former federal prosecutors and FBI folks I've seen in the last half day) have said...this is pretty fucking devastating. I'm paraphrasing of course, but based on my highly scientific analysis of (or just watching videos) the situation, it's like this...

If you have some evidence that a crime has been committed sitting in your house, the FBI can get it in a few ways. One, they can do a "no knock" raid, bust down your door, and take it while you sit on the curb outside your house in zip ties.

The polite way is to send a subpoena to your team of lawyers and let them gather up the documents (and maybe misplace a few) and bring them in months down the road.

Or they're not quite "we need to break down the door," but are also "no way we trust these motherfuckers" and they go with option 3, which is obtain a search warrant and take the stuff when you're not home.

They went with option 3 for this. Now, a long time ago I talked to a prosecutor with a 100 percent conviction rate. Someone asked how he got that stellar record, and his answer was very simple. He never prosecuted a case he wasn't 100 percent sure he wouldn't win. Garland (the guy who terrified McConnell so much he kept him off the Senate floor for almost a year) seems to be this kind of prosecutor. So an extremely cautious federal prosecutor who doesn't lift a finger unless he's 100 percent sure teamed up with a probably-Trump-appointed federal judge and an "I've gone through a few of these and I think this is the one" Trump-appointed FBI director to say "let's send a medium shit-ton of agents to Florida and pack up some boxes of evidence."

The weight of "are you really sure you want to do this?" is pressing down on the DOJ, the FBI, the Secret Service (who let them in to the building) and the impossibly milquetoast Biden administration and yet...and yet...they still did the "Thing Which Thou Shalt Not Do" and go after a former President.

What I'm saying is that in the words of Will Smith and Martin Lawrence from that movie...shit just got real.

They definitely have something. I'm of the opinion that even the dumbest judge on the planet would know that before granting a search warrant like that one he/she needs to individually cover every particle that makes up their ass.

Too soon?
View attachment 39780
Yes... way too soon. This isn't it.

Yeah, they're all the same. Blah, blah, blah. :rolleyes:
No they aren't all the same.... Carter, Truman, and Eisenhower (even JFK) were much different. Examples of the past having integrity not found anywhere today. That is the difference.

Today's criminal mafia we call federal government serving in Washington DC simply can not credibly provide justice for the other criminals serving in Washington. And that is the point, the whole point, and nothing but the point.
Because Liz Cheney and AOC are exactly the same as Mitch, Kevin, Boebert, MTG....

They definitely have something. I'm of the opinion that even the dumbest judge on the planet would know that before granting a search warrant like that one he/she needs to individually cover every particle that makes up their ass.
This shouldn't be a big deal but it is to people who deify The Orange. They already pulled fifteen boxes of documents months ago and figured there are probably more. The Orange doesn't have special privileges. Anyone who thinks this is the case and sensationalizes things needs to take a smart pill. Yes, the Magats will go ape shit. Let them.

"Q-tards" That's awesome. :):)

This shouldn't be a big deal but it is to people who deify The Orange. They already pulled fifteen boxes of documents months ago and figured there are probably more. The Orange doesn't have special privileges. Anyone who thinks this is the case and sensationalizes things needs to take a smart pill. Yes, the Magats will go ape shit. Let them.

"Q-tards" That's awesome. :):)

I dunno about that "shouldn't be a big deal". Personally, I believe It should have always been the case from the start that no one is above the law. However, as a result of history (ya know, the one where former presidents aren't held accountable for anything), this raid is a big deal.

Edit: Not for Trump, for the country. Because the next Republican President will just pardon him.

This sure puts a prescient but pressing dent in the precedent president precedent.

Lock him down, G-men! Lock him down. But make sure you hurt him in the pocketbook first. He doesn't care about bad publicity.

A perspective.

Today Joe Kennedy would have went to jail, he was a Trump of his time. He was obsessed with first seeing himself as president and then his sons. He covered up a number of things for JFK.Today JFK wolud be taken apart by the media. JFK rubbed elbows with mobsters.

JFK may well have stolen the election due to his father.

Trump carries it to an extreme but it is hardly new in DC politics.

A special prosecutor should have been appointed.

This sure puts a prescient but pressing dent in the precedent president precedent.

Lock him down, G-men! Lock him down. But make sure you hurt him in the pocketbook first. He doesn't care about bad publicity.
You should get a bassist and a rap gig.

Call yourself Ivory Tower.
Tom

Trump took the 5th at his scheduled deposition in the NY civil investigation. I believe that while that cannot be used against you in a criminal case, it can be used in a civil case. And he has already tried to deflect from his earlier
Donald Trump said:
If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?
From the article:
CNN said:
In his statement Wednesday, Trump said, “Now I know the answer to that question” and decried James’ investigation.
Sure, Donnie.

Trump took the 5th at his scheduled deposition in the NY civil investigation. I believe that while that cannot be used against you in a criminal case, it can be used in a civil case. And he has already tried to deflect from his earlier
Donald Trump said:
If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?
From the article:
CNN said:
In his statement Wednesday, Trump said, “Now I know the answer to that question” and decried James’ investigation.
Sure, Donnie.
If Trump runs again I'd like to see an opposoition comercial where the vdieo of his saying that is shown followed by his taking the 5th.

Back
Top Bottom