• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What precedent will prosecuting a former president set?

If Trump ever does go to trial, gets convicted, and sent to prison, the radical right hordes will start violent riots nation wide.

If Trump ever does go to trial, gets convicted, and sent to prison, the radical right hordes will start violent riots nation wide.
And?
Imagine BLM style protests, only a lot more heavy weapons.
Tom
We've seen that already. They failed in their objectives. They will again. Any honest public servant should refuse to let fear of a riot guide whether or not there is rule of law in this country. If they are already prepared to commit violent atrocities, I'd rather let them do so and then arrest them, than give up on democracy altogether just to spare their feelings. We've been placating these kinds of people since the Gingrich era, and not only has it not resulted in their disappearance from politics, they don't even appreciate the leniency. No matter how many times their asses are buttered, they continuing to act as though they are America's most persecuted minority, and preaching ever more open violence against their enemies.

We've seen that already. They failed in their objectives.
What are you talking about?

Jan6? You can't seriously think that's the best they can do.
Tom
Oh? If the recent investigations have shown us anything, it's that Jan 6, much like "Unite the Right", was the culmination of years of planning, huge investments of money, the Proud Boys being every bit as clever as they know how to be, and so forth. I don't see any evidence that these yahoos are capable of more serious and lasting actions. But if they are, I'd still prefer that battle to more decades of appeasement.

What it is currently doing is firing up the Trumpanzie base. Lot of people who should and maybe actually do know better are saying that this is all politically motivated and what happens in a banana republic. No: NOT investigating and prosecuting politicians who break laws is what a banana republic does.

Trump pleads the 5th

I think if this is his strategy of pleading the 5th - there has to be a damning amount of evidence for any kind of conviction.
The Orange wanted this to happen. The Orange wanted to be able to plead the fifth. The Orange wanted the investigations in Georgia and in New York. Lets remember that the DOJ didn't announce that it had searched The Orange's residence in Florida. The Orange made that announcement.

The Orange does these things to make money. The Orange ran for president so he could make money. He wants to stoke those GOP conspiracies so the griftees keep filling his pockets and he remains a force in politics. Really, this ain't rocket science. All those "dumb" things The Orange has done are done with the knowledge that he'll get richer for having done it.

If they're going to make anything of this raid, they'd better do so before the election. Or, more precisely, when the next congress is seated.

Best move as quickly as possible.
Why?

What can congress do to impede judicial action on Trump? The department of justice is in the executive branch, and we can trust that will be lead by adults for at least another 2 years... unless you are suggesting that someone will assassinate Biden and Harris to put a Republican Speaker in the oval office?

If you think this may influence the elections, as far as I can see, an expedited process only helps the Republicans. Dem leaning voters who see Trump fallen in defeat may be apathetic enough to not vote. I think all other scenarios involve just as many Dems leaners and Rep leaners to remain motivated to vote.

If they're going to make anything of this raid, they'd better do so before the election. Or, more precisely, when the next congress is seated.

I agree with Jason, the GOP would attempt to cover up the crimes of Trump if they took the House (and Senate?).

I agree with Jason, the GOP would attempt to cover up the crimes of Trump if they took the House (and Senate?).

That won’t happen until January if at all. Plenty of time to lock up Trump and his co-conspirators.

Looks like Little Orange Shitpants was violating the Espionage Act. Getting interesting.

Looks like Little Orange Shitpants was violating the Espionage Act. Getting interesting.
I might have put it down as if it was done by mistake if he had given up all the documents when originally asked for them. Instead, he gave them back fifteen boxes and obviously tried to hide twelve boxes. And then he lied about them.

You guys are just on a partisan witch-hunt. Every politician on both sides is just as bad, and you know it.

They all take money and gifts from lobbyists.

They all tell lies and distort the truth about their opponents when running for office.

They all sell top secret information about nuclear weapons to... hold on a second, ... Trump did WHAT??!

You guys are just on a partisan witch-hunt.

As well we might be. Artisan witches have been stealing our lunch money for years!

They all sell top secret information about nuclear weapons to... hold on a second, ... Trump did WHAT??!

Trump is presumed 100% innocent until the purchasers of American nuclear secrets file suit for price gouging.

The Jean Carroll Trump defamation trial has now been set for February 6. Attempts by Trump to countersue Carroll have been tossed out of court. A presidential candidate America can be proud of!

Back
Top Bottom