• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Now just finished plowing through the first two seasons of DS9. I do remember some of it, other episodes not. Good in parts, but I have this nagging feeling of wondering why I found this quite so engaging first time around 20 years ago. Perhaps I have watched too much else since then, with or without story arcs (I like story arcs). The soapy parts I have tried to avoid. I can see why they grate so much with traditional ST fans. A few episodes I skipped because I knew they were very crap: I'm not intending to watch "Meridian" again. Aside from that, not many really good episodes, and it is kind of tedious waiting for the "real enemy" to show up.
Not fair to judge Season One's as such. It takes time to get things rolling.

As far as DS9 fatigue... you have likely seen bigger and better things since then. But back when DS9 was on, it was one of only a couple shows like it at the moment.

Legend of Korra season 4 (and final)

Nice one, no letdown from the first 3 seasons for me.
I could nitpick here and there about some plot points gone over too fast or some "heel face turn" characters redeemed a little too easily, but remembering this was supposed to be a kid's cartoon, well, it really "does the thing".
Bonus point for (spoiler alert)

Korra and Asami being bi-sexual

That's some fresh air for kid's cartoons!

Finished Season Three of Homeland. Pretty good stuff. Has a couple of issues in the plot, otherwise, thoroughly entertaining. Really does keep you in suspense.

I'm three episodes in to season 3 of House of Cards.

At the end of season 2, I thought "man, they're gonna have to work really hard to top that."

So far, they haven't.

I mean, I'm sure they worked hard, but there's something lacking and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I think it is that I just don't buy Frank Underwood as President, and it was a mistake to elevate him to the White House at the end of the last season. Part of his appeal is that he's a schemer who never fully achieves his goals. He was always clawing his way upwards and clinging to the little bits of power he was able to grab, but now that he's in the Oval Office...it just doesn't sit right.

I'm three episodes in to season 3 of House of Cards.

At the end of season 2, I thought "man, they're gonna have to work really hard to top that."

So far, they haven't.

I mean, I'm sure they worked hard, but there's something lacking and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I think it is that I just don't buy Frank Underwood as President, and it was a mistake to elevate him to the White House at the end of the last season. Part of his appeal is that he's a schemer who never fully achieves his goals. He was always clawing his way upwards and clinging to the little bits of power he was able to grab, but now that he's in the Oval Office...it just doesn't sit right.

I only made it through one episode of House of Cards. They broke the "show, don't tell" rule too much for me to enjoy it.

Anyone seen the TV Series "Vikings"? Should I bother?

It depends. I'm a history nerd. I tend to get a nervous twitch in my eye when "historical" dramas rape history for the viewers enjoyment. For this one I was spazzing out as if I had cerebral palsy. It makes zero pretence to be in the least historical. All they do is use names that are associated with Vikings and hope nobody notices how none of it fits together. The series is about as historically accurate as the Lord of the Rings is an accurate portrayal of medieval Europe. It has so little respect for history that I wonder why they even bothered pretending? Why call it "Vikings" at all? Why not "LARPing in boats"? Or why not "the Grim's fairy tales do Scandinavia"?

If blond guys with washboard stomachs give you a hard-on then by all means... go for it. But there's precious little else of value in this train wreck of a series. The story is preposterous, as well as boring. The acting is crap. The dialogue is idiotic. At least the fight scenes are entertaining.

I'm aware that being of Viking ancestry I was spoon fed genuine Viking history in school, and therefore certain things might be obviously stupid to me in a way that they might not be for somebody less familiar with real Viking history. They couldn't even get the clothes or the gear right. It's not hard. Why not make just the tiniest little bit of effort? For obvious reasons I was really excited about this coming out. It's my history. Or rather... I hoped it would be. This TV series isn't. I'm still waiting for a decent show dramatising real Viking history. Real Viking history is actually cool and exciting. There's a virtually endless treasure trove of awesome... real... stuff to pick and chose from.

While I wait for something actually worth seeing I'm going to re-watch "When the Raven Flies" for the millionth time. If you're into Vikings... this film is pure gold. It's like Viking Rambo, but historically accurate. And looky looky what I found. The entire film is available on Youtube. Odin saw in his infinite grace to grant us this film on the Internet. Thank you Odin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOi3ic3LYHM

The only people I've met who love Vikings all end their statement with "...he's so hot... omygawd.... sexy." And use that as the only reason to watch the show. I think that sums up all that show has to offer.

I have been watching That 70s Show on Netflix. I am liking it alot. I have heard that the final season is terrible.

The only people I've met who love Vikings all end their statement with "...he's so hot... omygawd.... sexy." And use that as the only reason to watch the show. I think that sums up all that show has to offer.

Hm. The people you talked to have given a fair review of the show. I watched up to the episode where the Norsemen raid a Christian commune or whatever. Did not watch past that episode.

The 100 (8/10)

A post-apocalyptic sci-fi mix of Mad Max and Lord of the Flies. After a nuclear war what remains of humanity lives on an over-crowded and often malfunctioning space station orbiting Earth (awaiting the radiation levels to drop). By necessity they need to regularly kill off people due to limited resources on-board. So life is pretty cheap and punishment for any minor crime is death. They send down a bunch of kids in their late teens (who would have been executed anyway) as a kind of canaries in a mine, to see if the surface still is radioactive. This is the first such attempt since humanity fled 100 years ago. It's a great set-up in order to have a show with hot and cool teenagers. And it feels believable and reasonable. There's also story in parallel on-board the space-station which is somewhat entertaining.

The acting is good. The story is great. Dialogue serviceable. And the settings is awesome. The space station is really cool. I love shows in space where the space ship isn't perfectly white and gleaming. This is a run-down shit-bag, and you can tell. It's got a distinct USSR vibe to it. Planet Earth is also really well made, with the predictable horrendous mutations of flora and fauna on the planet. But still not completely bizarre. Sure, they're pushing believable. But I was prepared for Charlie-and-the-Chocolate-Factory-weird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_(TV_series)

I'm just a third in of the first season. I'm a complete sucker to this one now.

The 100 (8/10)

A post-apocalyptic sci-fi mix of Mad Max and Lord of the Flies. After a nuclear war what remains of humanity lives on an over-crowded and often malfunctioning space station orbiting Earth (awaiting the radiation levels to drop). By necessity they need to regularly kill off people due to limited resources on-board. So life is pretty cheap and punishment for any minor crime is death. They send down a bunch of kids in their late teens (who would have been executed anyway) as a kind of canaries in a mine, to see if the surface still is radioactive. This is the first such attempt since humanity fled 100 years ago. It's a great set-up in order to have a show with hot and cool teenagers. And it feels believable and reasonable. There's also story in parallel on-board the space-station which is somewhat entertaining.

The acting is good. The story is great. Dialogue serviceable. And the settings is awesome. The space station is really cool. I love shows in space where the space ship isn't perfectly white and gleaming. This is a run-down shit-bag, and you can tell. It's got a distinct USSR vibe to it. Planet Earth is also really well made, with the predictable horrendous mutations of flora and fauna on the planet. But still not completely bizarre. Sure, they're pushing believable. But I was prepared for Charlie-and-the-Chocolate-Factory-weird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_(TV_series)

I'm just a third in of the first season. I'm a complete sucker to this one now.

Sounds like my kind of show. Where are you watching it? Since it is a CW series, I am guessing season 1 is up on Netflix?

I agree, it sounds like a fun show.

And yes, Season One is available on Netflix streaming.

Sounds like my kind of show. Where are you watching it? Since it is a CW series, I am guessing season 1 is up on Netflix?

Just some random Russian illegal streaming site I found when googling. But it's with Swedish subtitles. I'm sure it's available elsewhere without being "enhanced" by Swedishness.

dreamfilmhd.com

I haven't watched non-pirated media since the mid 90'ies. So I'm completely at a loss how to find anything the legal route. I'm not saying you can't. I just haven't put any effort into figuring out how it works. I just numb my sense of pirate shame with a bottle of rum and continue watching.

Just some random Russian illegal streaming site I found when googling. But it's with Swedish subtitles. I'm sure it's available elsewhere without being "enhanced" by Swedishness.

dreamfilmhd.com

I haven't watched non-pirated media since the mid 90'ies. So I'm completely at a loss how to find anything the legal route. I'm not saying you can't. I just haven't put any effort into figuring out how it works. I just numb my sense of pirate shame with a bottle of rum and continue watching.

FYI, I checked the Netflix instant que, and season 1 is indeed up for streaming (without added Swedishness). I think I will start in on it this weekend.

dreamfilmhd.com

FYI, I checked the Netflix instant que, and season 1 is indeed up for streaming (without added Swedishness). I think I will start in on it this weekend.

Now I'm almost done with season 1. It's still awesome. Actually gets better.

I never heard of the series until now so I started watching the pilot last night. It clips along pretty quickly getting the premise straightened out and it is quite interesting. It's a little bit unsettling that the female characters are supposed to be <18 years old and major hot. I'm a lecherous old perv ! I'm not sure I will stick with it though, it's headed towards a Lord of The Flies meets Logan's Run type deal.

I never heard of the series until now so I started watching the pilot last night. It clips along pretty quickly getting the premise straightened out and it is quite interesting. It's a little bit unsettling that the female characters are supposed to be <18 years old and major hot. I'm a lecherous old perv ! I'm not sure I will stick with it though, it's headed towards a Lord of The Flies meets Logan's Run type deal.

I've now burned through season one and I'm a bit into season two. Season two is way better than season one. And a lot more like Logan's Run. A lot more. But no more Lord of the Flies. Which I love. So I'm just eating up by the spoonful. I'm so happy I found this series. It's extremely obvious how the budget went up by orders of magnitude for the second series. The new sets are many and intricate.

I'll tell you what's unsettling. I'm 40. Last year I started seeing a girl who's 18 years old. Yeah, I know. It creeps me out too. But she did the work seducing me, and who am I to deny an inexperienced teenager some mature manly fun? Anyhoo. What's unsettling is that she looks exactly like Clarke (the main character and leader of the 100). She even has the same mannerisms and nervous smile when she's insecure.

Back
Top Bottom