• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Hawaii 5-0 (the new one)
2 / 10

I'm giving it two stars because the acting isn't bad, the action sequences are well-choreographed, etc.

And yes, on a personal level, the original show was culturally important to me because it was a milestone that presented Asian characters as something other than the usual racial caricature.

But I could barely stomach one fucking episode of that fucking show. The whole thing played like some kind of goddamned Gestapo fantasy. Is this what cop shows are like now? No wonder our nation is turning into a fucking police state. Fuck.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand: 9/10: Well I bailed on "The 100" in favor of something a bit more grown up. I'm not ashamed to say it, the heaving bosoms and gratuitous boobies won me over to Spartacus. I watched this series when it first aired on Starz back in 2010 and really enjoyed it. Andy Whitfield who played Spartacus died in 2011. A real tragedy and a reminder of how fleeting life is. He was excellent in this role.

Ascension 1/10

A bunch of people are stuck on a generational ship that journeys through the stars away from Earth. It's cool that it was launched in the 1960'ies. So the spaceship has a nice retro feel to it. And now they're in on generation three, so it deals with all the drama of being stuck on a ship against ones will. The show is built around a murder investigation.

I won't give away the twist. But it sucks. Dumbest idea for a show ever. Nothing is well done or thought through. It's just stupid idea after stupid idea. Ok, it's a little cool that it's basically a 60'ies time-capsule complete with dysfunctional 60'ies gender roles. But there the fun ends. Not even the sets are well made.

All the super hot babes who seem to exist for no reason other than to have sex with the hot guys? I mean... ok... I get it. In the 60'ies women were housewives, and men of status didn't have wives who worked. But this is a damn spaceship with 600 people on board! It's just stupid. What are they supposed to do all day? Decorate their cabin? The lower levels are populated by in-bred slack-jawed red-neck yokels. While the upper deck are filled with square-jawed jocks. If they could pick and chose 600 of the best people for this critical mission why pick retards at all? It makes no sense. The acting is atrocious. But the dialogue is idiotic. I can imagine it's hard to deliver crap lines like that and make it work. As far as believability, even within this universe's own rules they set up nothing makes any sense. It's just dumb. Not even the murder investigation is interesting.

I think it's unclear what they're trying to do, say or why. It just left me confused and bored. Give me my minutes back.

WARNING!
DO NOT WATCH!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_(miniseries)

People who are the best and brightest often have kids who don't measure up.

A friend is going to marry into a fractious family, so he was glad the kids of his SO were soon going to be shipped off to college. Since his SO and her ex were both doctors it never occurred to him that the kids would be underachievers. But guess what? Yes, they are. They do the minimum to get passing grades and right now with their GPAs no college in the country will touch them.

If that's the message it doesn't explain why the upper level people are such perfect dream boats. The explanation I've seen is that it's camp. Ok, I can buy that. But then the rest doesn't fit. They'te aiming for a Blade Runner feel. That doesn't work with camp imho

Spartacus: Blood and Sand: 9/10: Well I bailed on "The 100" in favor of something a bit more grown up. I'm not ashamed to say it, the heaving bosoms and gratuitous boobies won me over to Spartacus. .

Some of us watch it only for the lofty intellectualism.

Andy Whitfield who played Spartacus died in 2011. A real tragedy and a reminder of how fleeting life is. He was excellent in this role.

But seriously, I find the preciousness of life is something the show conveys well.

People who are the best and brightest often have kids who don't measure up.

A friend is going to marry into a fractious family, so he was glad the kids of his SO were soon going to be shipped off to college. Since his SO and her ex were both doctors it never occurred to him that the kids would be underachievers. But guess what? Yes, they are. They do the minimum to get passing grades and right now with their GPAs no college in the country will touch them.

If that's the message it doesn't explain why the upper level people are such perfect dream boats. The explanation I've seen is that it's camp. Ok, I can buy that. But then the rest doesn't fit. They'te aiming for a Blade Runner feel. That doesn't work with camp imho

I never got the impression they were going for a Blade Runner feel at all.

Sci-fi film noir. Watch a bunch of Bogart movies and I think you'll see it. It's not that they were trying to be Blade Runner. But both Blade Runner and Ascenscion IMHO are drawing from the same estethic feel. It's dark, gloomy and melodramatic. For Blade Runner it works. Ascenscion, not so much

House of Cards - Season 3 7/10

Binge watched most of this today. Still a great show - my flatmates find it too slow but I enjoy it. A couple of moments where the characters acted against their character, so to speak, for the sake of the plot. I hate it when shows do this (Breaking Bad anyone) so that's why I haven't given it a higher rating.

About to try 'The last man on Earth' and 'Better Call Saul'

There is such a glut of decent shows out at the moment, it's getting ridiculous, Walking Dead, HOC, Vikings and GOT soon. Hard good things about better call saul so maybe add that to the list too.

Now we just need a really good SF show like Battlestar Galactica (other than the ending of course). I've tried a few recently but the only one that's managed to hold my interest past a few episodes was Continuum and even that was a real stretch.

Sci-fi film noir. Watch a bunch of Bogart movies and I think you'll see it. It's not that they were trying to be Blade Runner. But both Blade Runner and Ascenscion IMHO are drawing from the same estethic feel. It's dark, gloomy and melodramatic. For Blade Runner it works. Ascenscion, not so much

Never got a dark gloomy feel at all. I felt it was more like the soap operas of the 1950s - Peyton Place. Bright, sunny, positive, everything right with the world, while scandal and ambition bubble underneath.

Never got a dark gloomy feel at all. I felt it was more like the soap operas of the 1950s - Peyton Place. Bright, sunny, positive, everything right with the world, while scandal and ambition bubble underneath.

BTW, I never saw the 1950s soap operas either, but Peyton Place in particular has entered the pop culture lexicon as a hypocritical place, one looking peaceful and upstanding but actually filled with gossip, back-stabbing and double-crosses.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

The pilot episode.

Doesn't seem fresh or original. A little quirky, but it's still a single woman with an extravagent gay friend and wierd landlord. Seems trite.

4/10

But it's a pilot episode, so I'll watch at least one more.

Nearing the end of Season One for Boardwalk Empire. A pretty enjoyable show. I find it interesting how they can make you want to cheer on for one corrupt asshole over another. Sadly Amazon Prime only has Season One.

Nearing the end of Season One for Boardwalk Empire. A pretty enjoyable show. I find it interesting how they can make you want to cheer on for one corrupt asshole over another. Sadly Amazon Prime only has Season One.

I've got all five seasons in my library. It's consistent. Doesn't drop off in quality if you're thinking about paying for it. I particularly like Stephen Graham as Al Capone. I don't mind paying for some TV series if there's a chance I'll watch it again sometime in the future. Boardwalk Empire stands a good chance of that.
I used to curl up with Deadwood and The Wire during the holidays. Two series I had no problem watching a second and third time.

Marco Polo 10/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2189461/

The Borgias meets Hidden Dragon. I may be biased to my boundless love for anything featuring Mongols/Khanate Empire. It does use a lot of martial arts Far Eastern exoticism, which in 2014 does count as racism. At least in a realistic TV series like this one. That aside. It didn't bother me enough. I liked it. The acting is top notch. The actor playing Kublai Khan is awesome. Benedict Wong. I've never heard of him before. I should have, since he's so good. But I guess acting opportunities for fat Chinese guys is tough. Also good is the guy playing his son Jingim (a princely fuck up). Who does a good job of playing a prince who's not quite up to the task.

In the tradition of great period piece drama (Rome, The Tudors, Boardwalk Empire, The Borgias) it features historically significant people performing period accurate activities, loads of gratuitous nudity and actually makes an effort to show and explain cultural interesting things about it's period. As well as the obvious, showing us them doing all the stuff they were famous for. Apart from the laughably stupid Kung Fu stunt fights it does a good job describing the period and life at court. It shows us both the Chinese court (Song dynasty) and contrasts it with the Mongolian court (Kublai Khan). In popular culture we have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to the super cool Mongols and their quite different culture. Which is a shame. So I'm happy as Larry about this series. Another favourite empire is the Timurid Empire. But interest in that still seems pretty dead.

This should not be confused with more cartoonish series like Vikings, Mary Queen of Scots, Spartacus. Marco Polo aims for realism (except in the fight scenes). So I hope this keeps going for a while.

House of Cards (season 3)

Last season Frank Underwood was an unstoppable super-villain. It was fun to watch but not very realistic.

This season he's very vulnerable. There are cracks in the facade. Still fun to watch. So many evil bastards. 7.5/10

House of Cards (season 3)

Last season Frank Underwood was an unstoppable super-villain. It was fun to watch but not very realistic.

This season he's very vulnerable. There are cracks in the facade. Still fun to watch. So many evil bastards. 7.5/10

I just wrapped up this latest season. Compared to the first two, it was underwhelming.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 10/10

34259l.jpg

Just finished re-watching this (both seasons), which I haven't done in a long time. Fuck, but this is my favorite science fiction show of all time, not just my favorite anime. While the Battlestar Galactica remake was on the air, it briefly became my favorite, but the weak ending of that show put it back in second place.

To me, what makes good science fiction good are the ideas being discussed, both directly and metaphorically. It's the reason I prefer Star Trek over Star Wars. GitS:SAC packs in far more ideas into two seasons than a Star Trek series can juggle in seven, and it's interesting and relevant stuff. There's sociopolitical issues like the relationship between governments, corporations, and the populace. Militaries having too much influence over the government, governments taking too many liberties with liberty in police practices. The central theme (from which the series gets its name) postulates bizarre changes in the nature of groupthink once people augment their brains with mass-produced items. Various commentaries on the possible effects of technology on social structures and social mores. Of course there is also a lot on the nature of sentience, which the franchise is kind of famous for. What is sentience? What is the relationship between memory and self-awareness and/or identity? What is the changing role of external memory in human development once external memory involves computers hard-wired into our brains? How do we actually define self-awareness and self-identity once the line starts to blur between increasingly cyberized humans and increasingly-intelligent machines? What is the relationship between our bodies/physical appearance and self-identity? There are even some of Baudrillard's ideas tossed into the mix somewhere. The more times I watch it, the more ideas I learn to see in between the lines.

Despite tossing so many ideas around, the pace never bogs down, the action is genuinely thrilling, and the symbols never get in the way of old-fashioned storytelling (which is mostly of the conspiracy-oriented police procedural variety).

The characters are interesting and have distinct personalities, motives, and understandable reasons for the way they behave. The main character questions her own humanity. Her second in command is madly in love with her, the feelings are not mutual, and both of them are too damn macho to ever talk about their feelings openly. The cynical sniper turns out to be the most idealistic of the lot. The ex-cop is charming, decent, relatable and adorkable. The main character's girlfriend (she's sex-positive and bisexual) is even more innocent, good-natured, and adorkable than the cop. The hacker runs a questionable business on the side (and may use it as a front for goodness knows what kind of scams). The ex-mobster is actually a pretty decent and dedicated cop, but is a shameless and sleazy womanizer. The gruff chief seems to be a cliche until you find out he's an incredibly devious and conniving politician who pulls all the wrong strings for all the right reasons, and probably throws himself into his work to avoid thinking about personal problems. The Tachikomas (mini-spider tanks) serve as the source of discussion about machines that are starting to get too clever for their own good, and are both adorable and heroic. For all that you emotionally identify with these characters, get sad when they're hurt and laugh at their personality quirks, they're the ones who are abusing power over their fellow citizens and doing things that no one in a democratically elected government should do, and the writers are smart enough not to make any of those questions easy to answer for the viewer.

It's pretty hard sci-fi with none of the nutty spirituality or bad science that so frequently characterizes so much American and Japanese science fiction. It's so rare to find any hard sci-fi on television or in movies these days, much less really good hard sci-fi.

Yeah, I know. GitS:SAC was specifically made for Western audiences and I know a lot of American/Western anime fans poo-poo it for that reason, but fuck those snobs. I really love this show. If you generally don't care for anime, this one may appeal to you.

I just watched the pilot episode of The Riches, a series from 2007-8 starring Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver as grifters who pose as a wealthy family in the aftermath of an unfortunate accident which has left the real people dead.

I like Izzard as a comic, like Driver as an actor, but these characters are so vile, the premise (and execution) is barely believable, and I dread where the sub-plot (they've stolen the life savings of their "family" of gypsies as well) is going.

That said, I'm probably going to watch it all the way to the end.

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

Not much new in this for anybody who is reasonably well-read on the Co$, especially thos who've read the book of the same name. Some interesting interviews though, particularly with Sylvia "Spanky" Taylor, formerly JohnTravolta's "handler", who hadn't said much since leaving the "church" in the 1980s.

For anybody new to the Co$ story, though, this documentary is an excellent primer on the cult's history and methods, and surely a warning to anybody considering joining it.

9/10

Back
Top Bottom