• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

I never heard of the series until now so I started watching the pilot last night. It clips along pretty quickly getting the premise straightened out and it is quite interesting. It's a little bit unsettling that the female characters are supposed to be <18 years old and major hot. I'm a lecherous old perv ! I'm not sure I will stick with it though, it's headed towards a Lord of The Flies meets Logan's Run type deal.

I've now burned through season one and I'm a bit into season two. Season two is way better than season one. And a lot more like Logan's Run. A lot more. But no more Lord of the Flies. Which I love. So I'm just eating up by the spoonful. I'm so happy I found this series. It's extremely obvious how the budget went up by orders of magnitude for the second series. The new sets are many and intricate.

I watched the second installment last night. It's a decent show brimming with lots of ideas probably culled from a myriad of shows before it. I got the sense of Logan's Run, Lord of the Flies, Lost and Survivor. There is plenty scope for story lines and sub plots.

I'll tell you what's unsettling. I'm 40. Last year I started seeing a girl who's 18 years old. Yeah, I know. It creeps me out too. But she did the work seducing me, and who am I to deny an inexperienced teenager some mature manly fun? Anyhoo. What's unsettling is that she looks exactly like Clarke (the main character and leader of the 100). She even has the same mannerisms and nervous smile when she's insecure.

You lucky bastard ! :D

I'll tell you what's unsettling. I'm 40. Last year I started seeing a girl who's 18 years old. Yeah, I know. It creeps me out too. But she did the work seducing me, and who am I to deny an inexperienced teenager some mature manly fun? Anyhoo. What's unsettling is that she looks exactly like Clarke (the main character and leader of the 100). She even has the same mannerisms and nervous smile when she's insecure.

Ya, good work managing to find a way to work that into the conversation, dude. :p

I saw the first season of BBC's Broadchurch which was very good and so, I happily sat down to watch the first episode of the 2nd season last night.

Hmmmm.

It appears in order to watch the 2nd season, we really have to be interested in the terrible, petty, selfish, vindictive people we met in the first season.

Uh, no. I was interested in our two co-stars. And there are their stories there too, but not if I have to sit through an hour of subplots of the miserable people of the town.

Not sure it's going to hold my attention this season.

Still plodding through DS9 here; now onto season 4, the start of the best part of the entire show (IMO). The show does seem to veer from really good episodes to really bad ones, or perhaps from typical "DS9" episodes (Way of the Warrior) to those that could easily be found in other trek versions (the Visitor).

I saw the first season of BBC's Broadchurch which was very good and so, I happily sat down to watch the first episode of the 2nd season last night.

Hmmmm.

It appears in order to watch the 2nd season, we really have to be interested in the terrible, petty, selfish, vindictive people we met in the first season.

Uh, no. I was interested in our two co-stars. And there are their stories there too, but not if I have to sit through an hour of subplots of the miserable people of the town.

Not sure it's going to hold my attention this season.

I too enjoyed season one. I was going to get season two but can't quite figure out what Amazon is making available to download. Nor will I spend much time trying to figure out their latest scheme.

They are repeating Game of Thrones from the beginning here, so I figured I would see what all the fuss is about, and watched episode 1.

I have been avoiding it because I enjoyed the books, and figured it was likely not to live up to my expectations.

I think it is very well done; but nevertheless, I was right. :(

If I had seen it without having read the books, I reckon I might have really enjoyed it; instead it is just OK. I will probably watch the rest anyway. It is visually spectacular enough to be worth it, and I have to do something while I wait for GRRM to get his finger out and finish the next book.

They are repeating Game of Thrones from the beginning here, so I figured I would see what all the fuss is about, and watched episode 1.

I have been avoiding it because I enjoyed the books, and figured it was likely not to live up to my expectations.

If I had seen it without having read the books, I reckon I might have really enjoyed it; instead it is just OK. I will probably watch the rest anyway. It is visually spectacular enough to be worth it, and I have to do something while I wait for GRRM to get his finger out and finish the next book.

Fun trivia. The books were written specifically to be made into a TV series. They're written as if they are a template for a TV script. So the TV series is whar RR Martin had in mind right from the beginning.

Fun trivia. The books were written specifically to be made into a TV series. They're written as if they are a template for a TV script. So the TV series is whar RR Martin had in mind right from the beginning.

That makes sense.

But my imagination is better than HBO.

Ya, good work managing to find a way to work that into the conversation, dude. :p

Just finished season two. It's way better than season one, and the latest news is that season three has been financed. But no release date yet. This is the best thing that has happened television in ages. Easily among my top favourite series ever. So excited for what's in stall for season three. They have an excellent set up for it... whatever it is that happens. This series has everything I love. Especially the ambiguous morality, ie not-really-good-guys-and-not-really-bad-guys. Yes, right now I'm a gushing fan-boy.

The Mrs and I have binged watched The 100 on Netflix. Both seasons in a bit over a week... We only have the second part of the Season 2 finale to view. It has some great ideas although some tired cliches, too. I thought I'd give it an 7.5/10.

Like a lot of folks, we thought the second season was much better. What really pisses me off is the way that the writers play to teen angst so much, even when the characters are facing some super time sensitive emergency. Before running off to save themselves or the world two characters will almost always stop for a sentimental, romantic, or otherwise melodramatic chit-chat, or long, longing looks and pseudo-profundity. Drives me nuts.

Mary and I keep talking about how we should write our own sci-fi show mocking all the schlock in shows we otherwise really like. There will now definitely be a scene when an ex-couple volunteer for a Significant Mission That Must Be Done Now to Buy Time for the Others to Escape only to stop and discuss their relationship, at which point another character freaks out at them for endangering everyone, zaps them with a phaser, who then runs away shouting that the aliens will stop to torture the ex-lovers, and the others can flee. Afterwards she is given a medal for clear thinking.

The Mrs and I have binged watched The 100 on Netflix. Both seasons in a bit over a week... We only have the second part of the Season 2 finale to view. It has some great ideas although some tired cliches, too. I thought I'd give it an 7.5/10.

Like a lot of folks, we thought the second season was much better. What really pisses me off is the way that the writers play to teen angst so much, even when the characters are facing some super time sensitive emergency. Before running off to save themselves or the world two characters will almost always stop for a sentimental, romantic, or otherwise melodramatic chit-chat, or long, longing looks and pseudo-profundity. Drives me nuts.

Mary and I keep talking about how we should write our own sci-fi show mocking all the schlock in shows we otherwise really like. There will now definitely be a scene when an ex-couple volunteer for a Significant Mission That Must Be Done Now to Buy Time for the Others to Escape only to stop and discuss their relationship, at which point another character freaks out at them for endangering everyone, zaps them with a phaser, who then runs away shouting that the aliens will stop to torture the ex-lovers, and the others can flee. Afterwards she is given a medal for clear thinking.

You forgot the a-leader-of-one-of-the-factions-always-has-a-stupid-idea-that-disagrees-with-consensus-and-threatens-the-safety-of-everyone-by-going-for-it-in-spite-of-everyone-trying-to-stop-them. It never failed. Far too often the stupid leader would be out of character during these moments. Otherwise they'd be totally reasonable, but just at these critical moments they went full retard just for the sake of heightened drama. But then again... it's drama. Instead of being annoyed by it, I'm impressed how they manage to squeeze out every possible moment of drama out of this. There's layers and layers of tension going on all the time in every direction. It's well written.

I don't mind that the show is obviously targeted at teenagers. And it's hysterically funny that the big bad ass and wise warrior hero, leader of them all, and who gains the trust and respect of both Groundlings, Sky people and Mountain Men is Clarke, a small teenage girl. That's part of what I love about The 100. I think it's a good mix of retarded and clever. There's a clear feminist (and probably lesbian) subtext. I don't mind at all. I love it. But it always cracks me up how a skinny and frail little book worm girl manages to outwit and dominate fully grown muscle bound adult men who have done nothing their entire lives but train for war... on their own home turf. Anyhoo... I don't mind at all. Just fun fun fun.

Oh yeah, the
a-leader-of-one-of-the-factions-always-has-a-stupid-idea-that-disagrees-with-consensus-and-threatens-the-safety-of-everyone-by-going-for-it-in-spite-of-everyone-trying-to-stop-them.
is a zappin' with a phaser too.
I get that the show is aimed at teenagers, and I'm glad the makers aren't busy looking for happy endings or have a silly notion of the hero in a white hat. The child suicide, mercy killings etc. are pretty gritty. I was kind of hoping the surviving kids would tell the recently landed grownups to go procreate themselves when they start asserting their authority in such a heavy handed way. How much 'one crime and you're executed" or "cattle prodded" can a population take before they start saying enough is enough? Still, it is a great show, and I'm glad I started watching it.

Oh yeah, the
a-leader-of-one-of-the-factions-always-has-a-stupid-idea-that-disagrees-with-consensus-and-threatens-the-safety-of-everyone-by-going-for-it-in-spite-of-everyone-trying-to-stop-them.
is a zappin' with a phaser too.
I get that the show is aimed at teenagers, and I'm glad the makers aren't busy looking for happy endings or have a silly notion of the hero in a white hat. The child suicide, mercy killings etc. are pretty gritty. I was kind of hoping the surviving kids would tell the recently landed grownups to go procreate themselves when they start asserting their authority in such a heavy handed way. How much 'one crime and you're executed" or "cattle prodded" can a population take before they start saying enough is enough? Still, it is a great show, and I'm glad I started watching it.

Literature aimed at young kids and teenagers is often extremely brutal. It's a common misconception among adults that books aimed at kids is superficial or avoid dark subjects. The most popular children's books often wallow in it. The kids love the melodramatic shit, and on-the-nose rape and murder. It's the other way around. It's literature aimed at adults that often shy away from the heavy subjects, or if they do they try bringing in it in subtle ways. I don't know how much children's literature you read, but I think this is standard teenage fare.

I don't read much kid's literature at all. This is a bit of a wake up. I guess should have been more aware since Hunger Games. I guess I'm just not with it anymore. Alas. And there hasn't been ANY rock and roll since the Stones released "It's Only Rock and Roll".

And get the heck off my lawn!

Literature aimed at young kids and teenagers is often extremely brutal. It's a common misconception among adults that books aimed at kids is superficial or avoid dark subjects. The most popular children's books often wallow in it. The kids love the melodramatic shit, and on-the-nose rape and murder. It's the other way around. It's literature aimed at adults that often shy away from the heavy subjects, or if they do they try bringing in it in subtle ways. I don't know how much children's literature you read, but I think this is standard teenage fare.

Literature aimed at teenagers also tends to be tedious.

How many coming of age/trial by fire/becoming a woman-man/parental hangups/sexual maturation can you read about before it becomes trite?

Literature aimed at teenagers also tends to be tedious.

How many coming of age/trial by fire/becoming a woman-man/parental hangups/sexual maturation can you read about before it becomes trite?

Hmm... these kinds of stories have been going strong since the ancient Greeks. Probably many tens of thousands of years before that in oral history. So I'm going with never. Even adult literature feature the same kinds of stories, but with added dimensions to keep us from falling asleep. But it's fundamentally the same story arcs.

True Detective 10/10. It's got everything; philosophy, family drama, sex, mass murderer, alcoholic philandering cop, paedophile voodoo sex cult and hilbillys. It really milks all the Deep South Redneck tropes. Acting is superb and delivered by Woody Harrelson and and Matthew McConaughey. They've got a fantastic love/hate partnership.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeepSouth

The only thing it doesn't have is a good title. That's the worst damn title ever conceived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Detective_(TV_series)

Edit: How to I write a spoiler tag?

Ascension 1/10

A bunch of people are stuck on a generational ship that journeys through the stars away from Earth. It's cool that it was launched in the 1960'ies. So the spaceship has a nice retro feel to it. And now they're in on generation three, so it deals with all the drama of being stuck on a ship against ones will. The show is built around a murder investigation.

I won't give away the twist. But it sucks. Dumbest idea for a show ever. Nothing is well done or thought through. It's just stupid idea after stupid idea. Ok, it's a little cool that it's basically a 60'ies time-capsule complete with dysfunctional 60'ies gender roles. But there the fun ends. Not even the sets are well made.

All the super hot babes who seem to exist for no reason other than to have sex with the hot guys? I mean... ok... I get it. In the 60'ies women were housewives, and men of status didn't have wives who worked. But this is a damn spaceship with 600 people on board! It's just stupid. What are they supposed to do all day? Decorate their cabin? The lower levels are populated by in-bred slack-jawed red-neck yokels. While the upper deck are filled with square-jawed jocks. If they could pick and chose 600 of the best people for this critical mission why pick retards at all? It makes no sense. The acting is atrocious. But the dialogue is idiotic. I can imagine it's hard to deliver crap lines like that and make it work. As far as believability, even within this universe's own rules they set up nothing makes any sense. It's just dumb. Not even the murder investigation is interesting.

I think it's unclear what they're trying to do, say or why. It just left me confused and bored. Give me my minutes back.

WARNING!
DO NOT WATCH!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_(miniseries)

Last edited:
The 100 - 7/10

It's a century after a nuclear war made the planet uninhabitable and the survivors of humanity are stuck up in a space station which is going to run out of oxygen in a few months. They send 100 teenaged convicts down to the Earth (they explain why in the show but, honestly, it doesn't make much more sense when there's a rationale attached to it) to see if it's survivable now. They go all Lord of the Flies while the people up on the space station quickly realize that maybe they should have sent down a walkie talkie or something with them so they can see if they're dying of radiation poisoning because they gave them advanced biometric scanners that monitor everything about their health but don't have speakers or anything.

It's silly with a bunch of nonsensical drudge, but surprisingly entertaining.

Ascension 1/10

A bunch of people are stuck on a generational ship that journeys through the stars away from Earth. It's cool that it was launched in the 1960'ies. So the spaceship has a nice retro feel to it. And now they're in on generation three, so it deals with all the drama of being stuck on a ship against ones will. The show is built around a murder investigation.

I won't give away the twist. But it sucks. Dumbest idea for a show ever. Nothing is well done or thought through. It's just stupid idea after stupid idea. Ok, it's a little cool that it's basically a 60'ies time-capsule complete with dysfunctional 60'ies gender roles. But there the fun ends. Not even the sets are well made.

All the super hot babes who seem to exist for no reason other than to have sex with the hot guys? I mean... ok... I get it. In the 60'ies women were housewives, and men of status didn't have wives who worked. But this is a damn spaceship with 600 people on board! It's just stupid. What are they supposed to do all day? Decorate their cabin? The lower levels are populated by in-bred slack-jawed red-neck yokels. While the upper deck are filled with square-jawed jocks. If they could pick and chose 600 of the best people for this critical mission why pick retards at all? It makes no sense. The acting is atrocious. But the dialogue is idiotic. I can imagine it's hard to deliver crap lines like that and make it work. As far as believability, even within this universe's own rules they set up nothing makes any sense. It's just dumb. Not even the murder investigation is interesting.

I think it's unclear what they're trying to do, say or why. It just left me confused and bored. Give me my minutes back.

WARNING!
DO NOT WATCH!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_(miniseries)

People who are the best and brightest often have kids who don't measure up.

A friend is going to marry into a fractious family, so he was glad the kids of his SO were soon going to be shipped off to college. Since his SO and her ex were both doctors it never occurred to him that the kids would be underachievers. But guess what? Yes, they are. They do the minimum to get passing grades and right now with their GPAs no college in the country will touch them.

Back
Top Bottom