• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Last night I watched The Aliens. It is a show about a world where humanoid aliens are invading the borders of England and selling their hair because alien hair gets humans high. The epidemic is worse than crack in 1980s America. The atmosphere of the show is light and humorous but there is a good bit of violence. I don't usually like anything from England at all, not even my horse thieving ancestors, but The Aliens did make me crack a smile. Check it out?

Last night I watched The Aliens. It is a show about a world where humanoid aliens are invading the borders of England and selling their hair because alien hair gets humans high. The epidemic is worse than crack in 1980s America. The atmosphere of the show is light and humorous but there is a good bit of violence. I don't usually like anything from England at all, not even my horse thieving ancestors, but The Aliens did make me crack a smile. Check it out?

Where is it available for viewing?

Morran och Tobias (10/10)

Swedish comedy genius. I hope they translate it to English because it's one of the funniest things ever. It's basically a kind of Borat but featuring white trash. We laugh but it becomes clear that these are mentally handicapped people unable to take responsibility. It's both tragic and funny. Way more intelligently done than Trailer Park Boys. The painful to watch how they try to explain away substance abuse and well... just abuse in general.

I'm about four or five episodes in to season two of Daredevil. Not quite as good as the first season, but still damn good. Daredevil is always best when Matt is wrestling with difficult moral questions, and both Punisher and Elektra provide him plenty of that.

Just finished Daredevil season 2
10/10

Because why the hell not. It was captivating al the way through, I don't recall a lot of slow spots. In the first season, I didn't particularly like Kingpin, now he has a smaller part but still manages to be just as annoying. None of the new villains are quite as captivating as Purple Man in Jessica Jones, but that's forgivable... Daredevil is more action-based series anyway, and just seeing where the story takes them was enough to keep my eyes glued to my laptop for the weekend.

Also: probably the most violent marvel production so far.

Just finished Daredevil season 2
10/10

Because why the hell not. It was captivating al the way through, I don't recall a lot of slow spots. In the first season, I didn't particularly like Kingpin, now he has a smaller part but still manages to be just as annoying. None of the new villains are quite as captivating as Purple Man in Jessica Jones, but that's forgivable... Daredevil is more action-based series anyway, and just seeing where the story takes them was enough to keep my eyes glued to my laptop for the weekend.

Also: probably the most violent marvel production so far.

That fight sequence in the stairwell was even more brutal than the infamous hallway scene from the first season.

The Detectorists, 7/10; A charming British comedy/drama that follows the exploits of the Danebury Metal Detecting Club. The club has few members, seven I think and it consists of quirky characters that use metal detectors to try to find buried treasure/artifacts. Most of the time they find discarded ring pulls from cans and Matchbox cars. The comedy is subtle and wry so it's not a laugh a minute sit com but still very enjoyable.

Occupied 8/10

Norway goes green and tries to drag Europe along with it by stopping production of fossil fuels. Well, Europe takes exception and asks Russia if they'd be so kind as to convince Norway to reconsider. The story is weak but the plot is well developed. A very enjoyable first season.

The Heavy Water War 9/10

Excellent mini-series about slowing the Nazi's nuclear program during WWII. Story is centered on the sabotage of the heavy water production facility, Norsk Hydro.

I seem to miss the first few eps. of everything.

Got Doll's House from the library to remedy that and found there was an unaired pilot ep. :joy:

Just got the 3rd series of Borgen from the library. More :joy:

Just finished Daredevil season two. It improved much after the first few episodes.

Season one has an overarching theme about gentrification. Season two did not have such a theme, but rather continued the vigilante theme from season one. Both Punisher and Elektra made the vigilante question very difficult for Matt, with lots of moral grey, which is when Daredevil is best.

I still say it's not quite as good as season one, but still spectacular. 9/10

Can't wait for Luke Cage!

Mad Men. I'm part way through season 1 and it's OK. It's watchable but I'm just not getting the hype that it received. The characters are good, the acting is good but the constant smoking and drinking is a bit annoying after a while. I think there are more intriguing story lines further in but I'm wondering how they managed to get a season 2 made.

Danger 5: 77 what-the-shit's / 17 da-fuq-did-i-just-watch

this is a show on netflix.
it was made in australia, it's a campy parody/homage/send-up of a couple different genres, including italian spy thrillers from the 60s and 70s, low budget action movies from the 70s and early 80s, and in a weird way it felt like an homage of campy parody/send-up movies.

anyways, it's too disjointed and absolutely balls-out batshit insane to give it any sort of quality rating based on any sort of rational metric, but the first 2 episodes alone became my new standard for "what in the FUCK did i just watch!?" lunacy.
it's like... imagine if kung fury, sealab, and team america had a threesome and then shat out a baby with all of their DNA mingled together. the show is kind of like that.

sadly, the writing isn't that great, so past the novelty of the premise and the absolute lunacy of the execution it's not as clever or as funny as it needs to be in order to really transcend being a gimmick, but if you like nearly incomprehensible absurdist shows, this is worth a watch.

The Good Wife - 7/10

I was surprised by how much I liked this show. I thought it would be some girly thing about dealing with a cheating husband, but it's actually a very well written and acted legal and political drama.

The Good Wife - 7/10

I was surprised by how much I liked this show. I thought it would be some girly thing about dealing with a cheating husband, but it's actually a very well written and acted legal and political drama.

You know how I know you're gay?

The Good Wife - 7/10

Great show. The only show in 10 years that both my wife and I love!

Finally got around to finishing Breaking Bad. Season 4 felt a little slow at points, but Holy Cranston did they go all out in Season 5!!

The Good Wife - 7/10

You know how I know you're gay?

Is it because of the way I like putting my penis up other men's bums?

Back
Top Bottom