• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

If you are enjoying it even a little so far, I would stick with it. I do think it gets better as the season moves on. But your mileage may vary.

okay - are y'all with me that demogorgan was 11's unconscious rage? that she and the monster were one and the same?

I'm not sure why that needs to be in spoiler tags, it's just a theory. While I think it is obvious that 11 had a connection to the Demogorgon, I don't think that it was her, or emerged from her psyche. I got the impression that it already existed when she first contacted the Upside-Down, but they somehow connected psychically at that point.

Stranger Things, 7/10; I have completed season one and I think that's enough for me. I know there is a season two coming out but this genre is not my cup of tea so I will not be watching it. Season one was ok, it had a lot of good stuff and I hope the young actors in it stay successful, they really made the series worth watching.

Legion

Not going to rate it until I watch a whole episode, but from the few minutes I watched, this looks very promising.

For those not familiar, Legion is a mutant (Marvel) who is both very powerful and insane. Powerful enough to make his delusions reality, so neither the audience nor the main character actually knows what is real. From what I saw so far, the show is perfectly comfortable leaving the audience as confused as the main character.

Watched the whole first episode of Legion. Solid 9/10.

Because David has superpowers, the whole "unreliable narrator" thing goes to entirely new and disturbing places, and the show's creators are perfectly OK with keeping you confused, and damnit if the crazy doesn't feel just like the peculiar crazy of a Seinkiewicz comic book (small miracle that they pulled that off).

Because David has superpowers, the whole "unreliable narrator" thing goes to entirely new and disturbing places, and the show's creators are perfectly OK with keeping you confused, and damnit if the crazy doesn't feel just like the peculiar crazy of a Seinkiewicz comic book (small miracle that they pulled that off).
The NPR mentioned the confusion (didn't speak poorly of it, but noted it was difficult to tell what was happening), but it is nice to know that is the point. I'll probably need to give this a go.

The NPR mentioned the confusion (didn't speak poorly of it, but noted it was difficult to tell what was happening), but it is nice to know that is the point. I'll probably need to give this a go.

If it's anything like the comic books, most of what you see will be inside his head, and some of the most disturbing things will be the real stuff (such as the fate of Lenny in the first episode). Trust nothing. Anything can be a delusion, but delusions can become real.

Major spoilers this video of you haven't seen episode one of Legion yet:

This isn't technically a spoiler because it's just an observation about the source material: one or more of the characters you meet might not be real people. Consider yourself warned. ;)

It's possible that one or more people you meet in the show are just alternate personalities inside his head. For example remember when he kissed Sydney and they swapped places? If she is a personality in his head, them that could be a metaphor for her taking over.

In fact, in the show you watched one real person due and become a voice in his head (he does that sometimes). Remember Lenny?

For the record, if you watched the above video, I was not smart enough to make the possible connection between Sydney and Cindy.

I can't wait for more. I hope they don't explain too much. This is more fun when I'm confused.

Masters of Sex Season 4 8.5/10

After a bit of a rough season 3, I was hesitant to buy season 4 but it's a four day weekend and it's this or chores so, season 4 it is. Very good. Much improved. The story is fresh and creative. Nothing forced. Nothing that strains credibility. Just finished episode 6. I needed a break after that one, time to recover.
Okay. I'm going back in.

The Last Alaskans 8/10

A "reality" show on Animal Planet and Discovery about several families that spend their winters in very remote cabins in the Alaskan Arctic refuge.
I put "reality in quotes because it is actual reality unlike every other "reality" show that manufactures drama with editing, planned crises, and coached dialogue. They just pretty much turn the camera on and follow these folks around and let them talk. They are interesting people, with several who spent most of their adult lives in the bush and even raised kids there. They spend Summers in town to make $, but they hunt all their meat and live in cabins they made from scratch.

There are 6 non-native families permitted to live in the entire 20 million acre refuge and they are each about 100 miles apart from each other. There are no roads or even trials going to their cabins, so they have to boat or fly in on small planes. In 1980, Carter put a moratorium on new settlers there, and the people already there have permits that expire when their kids die. This show is 35 years later. So, its 2 older couples who raised their now grown kids there, a younger couple who inherited it, and an older guy whose wife didn't want to live out there, so she left him about 20 years ago.

It's different from documentaries about native people's in the bush, because these are peopl raised in modern civilization (one guy came from New Jersey in his 20s back in 1975) and learned how to survive out there largely on their own. Plus, there is no community around them, just isolated families or in the somewhat sad case of Bob, one guy by himself.

The Last Alaskans 8/10

A "reality" show on Animal Planet and Discovery about several families that spend their winters in very remote cabins in the Alaskan Arctic refuge.
I put "reality in quotes because it is actual reality unlike every other "reality" show that manufactures drama with editing, planned crises, and coached dialogue. They just pretty much turn the camera on and follow these folks around and let them talk. They are interesting people, with several who spent most of their adult lives in the bush and even raised kids there. They spend Summers in town to make $, but they hunt all their meat and live in cabins they made from scratch.

There are 6 non-native families permitted to live in the entire 20 million acre refuge and they are each about 100 miles apart from each other. There are no roads or even trials going to their cabins, so they have to boat or fly in on small planes. In 1980, Carter put a moratorium on new settlers there, and the people already there have permits that expire when their kids die. This show is 35 years later. So, its 2 older couples who raised their now grown kids there, a younger couple who inherited it, and an older guy whose wife didn't want to live out there, so she left him about 20 years ago.

It's different from documentaries about native people's in the bush, because these are peopl raised in modern civilization (one guy came from New Jersey in his 20s back in 1975) and learned how to survive out there largely on their own. Plus, there is no community around them, just isolated families or in the somewhat sad case of Bob, one guy by himself.

Sounds boring. What have they got to talk about?

A Certain Scientific Railgun 7/10

Eh, slice of life involving middle school girls. Whatever. At least it has elements of an action show blended in to make it feel different, so it's not as boring as I expected. Might as well start watching the second season and holy fuck this got dark! What the actual fuck?

So, yeah, big twist in the second season and the whole thing gets super dark and bleak with thousands of clones offering themselves up for... eh, better not spoil it.

I now see that I should have watched A Certain Magical Index first (Magical Index, season 1, railgun s1, magical index s2, railgun s2) as both shows involve the same plot and the same events viewed from different angles. Maybe I'll go back and watch Railgun again after watching Magical Index. Normally, a sudden large left turn like this in a series makes me mad, but in this case it was an improvement. Got 8 or so episodes left of Railgun. Might change my appraisal after that, but so far it's not the greatest thing ever but much better than I was expecting.

75610.jpg

The Walking Dead

Started rewatching this on Netflix after having given it up a few years ago. I'm two seasons into it now and the first season was as good as I remember, but the second season was really slow and dull a lot of the time. It wasn't as bad binge watching it as it was having to wait a week inbetween each episode of the plodding plotline, but still a step down from the beginning.

There are very good parts, but it's also very inconsistent.

A Certain Scientific Railgun 7/10

Eh, slice of life involving middle school girls. Whatever. At least it has elements of an action show blended in to make it feel different, so it's not as boring as I expected. Might as well start watching the second season and holy fuck this got dark! What the actual fuck?

So, yeah, big twist in the second season and the whole thing gets super dark and bleak with thousands of clones offering themselves up for... eh, better not spoil it.

I now see that I should have watched A Certain Magical Index first (Magical Index, season 1, railgun s1, magical index s2, railgun s2) as both shows involve the same plot and the same events viewed from different angles. Maybe I'll go back and watch Railgun again after watching Magical Index. Normally, a sudden large left turn like this in a series makes me mad, but in this case it was an improvement. Got 8 or so episodes left of Railgun. Might change my appraisal after that, but so far it's not the greatest thing ever but much better than I was expecting.

75610.jpg

Finished it. The super-dark plot line resolved all too quickly, then it went back to the kiddie stuff. Downgrading rating to 6/10.

Right now I'm watching a Korean drama T show called "It Ok, That's Love", which deals with several forms of mental illness and treatment and family dynamics. It's quite well done and such a refreshing change to see real stories brought into a fictional setting that it should really be done in every country at least once. I'd rate it a 9, since it has realistic characterizations an situations and some of the music in the backdrop is well matched too. The acting is well done, no one is overly dramatizing any of the illnesses, nor are they ignoring symptomatology. There's one couple, a psychiatrist and a fiction writer, where the writer turns out to have pschyzophrenia and there's the hindsight scenes for each of the surrounding characters when they realize e was hallucinating a yun man he was trying to help and his delusions of heroism and grandeur are beginning to negatively effect him with injury and dangerous situations he puts himself in.

I'd highly recommend it, but it's only in English sub and in Korean.

Curse of Oak Island - The show is always on, so it is hard to miss it. The best parts are when they really want you to stay tuned after the commercial to find out that they haven't found shit... again *changes channel*. If you like watching people waste a lot of money looking for nothing and trying to look professional about it, this could work, but otherwise, it is 22 minutes of commercials wrapped around failure.

0 of 4

Imposters, 4/10 The show revolves around a guy that was happily married to the girl of his dreams. Then one day, she is gone, taking all his money with her. She leaves him a video saying she is gone and he won't find her. He doesn't understand that he is the mark in a very, very elaborate con perpetrated by a ruthless con artist team. He is paid a visit by another guy who was conned in the same way and they team up to track her down. It's pretty dumb and will likely not get renewed. I like that Brian Benben is in it and Susan Sarandon is due an appearance soon.

Just completed second season of whitechapel. First modern redo of Jack the ripper then redo of a gang family from the fifties and sixties. Unrealistic, but interesting in manipulations of situations to arrive at desired ends.

Besides the lead and sergeant are among my favorites from Silk . Lead seems a bit typed though. Too self confiden,t too crooked, and was too screwed up. The sergeant player? He's typed as a grudged but incisive dude in both. Both player's quirks distrust of dawn and alcohol controlled compulsion disorder do the job of introducing comic relief without using a dedicated character. You can find the series on Hulu.

The Walking Dead

Started rewatching this on Netflix after having given it up a few years ago. I'm two seasons into it now and the first season was as good as I remember, but the second season was really slow and dull a lot of the time. It wasn't as bad binge watching it as it was having to wait a week inbetween each episode of the plodding plotline, but still a step down from the beginning.

There are very good parts, but it's also very inconsistent.

That's funny. I've always thought the first season was hands-down the worst.

Powerless 8/10

Superhero comedy set in the DC universe following a bunch of normal people living alongside superheroes and supervillains. Some clever moments and satire along with a lot of silliness. I like it so far.

Back
Top Bottom