• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

I have recently binged on Vikings

I know some people have felt let down by the historical accuracy of the show, especially given the involvement of the History Channel but I don't care, it's really entertaining. Plus the History Channel stopped having much to do with real history long ago.

Solid 7.5/10.

Coupling (UK) - Started Season One again. I don't think there has ever been a comedy that can withstand so many repeat viewings. An absolute comic classic!

I just finished the second (and last) season of The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

After watching the first season, I thought "wow, that's so over the top and ridiculous, there's absolutely no way that they could top...oh...wait. They just did."

I don't "laugh out loud" at too many things. This was one of them.

8/10

Coupling (UK) - Started Season One again. I don't think there has ever been a comedy that can withstand so many repeat viewings. An absolute comic classic!

You should watch the US version. It will completely ruin the series for you and then you can spend your time watching something new.

You should watch the US version. It will completely ruin the series for you and then you can spend your time watching something new.
Did it even last long enough to be considered a "series"? *poofs to Wiki*

The show had 11 episodes filmed, but they only showed 4. When it originally came out I didn't even think of watching it, knowing the US would mess it up big time.

Now on at a decent time
I can finally see more na na na na na na na nna na na BATMAAAAAAAAAAN!:love:

Also they finally put the Daily Show back on

Did it even last long enough to be considered a "series"? *poofs to Wiki*

The show had 11 episodes filmed, but they only showed 4. When it originally came out I didn't even think of watching it, knowing the US would mess it up big time.

Ya, I wanted to do that, but one of my friends from high school was one of the main actors, so I felt obligated. It was terrible.

Esp. the Spiderman ep.

If ever there was proof of differing national senses of humour it's the fact that the US can make brilliant original comedy but consistently stuff up every time they try to remake comedy from another country.

Are the remakes because they don't like to pay royalties or are they tweaking so as not to expose US citizens to different ideas?

Esp. the Spiderman ep.

If ever there was proof of differing national senses of humour it's the fact that the US can make brilliant original comedy but consistently stuff up every time they try to remake comedy from another country.

Are the remakes because they don't like to pay royalties or are they tweaking so as not to expose US citizens to different ideas?

They're entertainment executives. They genuinely believe they are improving the product and making it more popular with American audiences. I think they're wrong, of course, but that's probably why I'm not paid a bloated salary.

Esp. the Spiderman ep.

There have been very good transitions as well, though. The Office -> The Office / Hustle -> Leverage (which I actually enjoy the US version more, though the UK version is sleeker) / Downton Abbey -> Downton Abbey (it is like they just showed the original UK series in the US ;)).

But then you have Men Behaving Badly, Coupling. Dog help us all if they try Doctor Who! :eek:

Esp. the Spiderman ep.

There have been very good transitions as well, though. The Office -> The Office / Hustle -> Leverage (which I actually enjoy the US version more, though the UK version is sleeker) / Downton Abbey -> Downton Abbey (it is like they just showed the original UK series in the US ;)).

But then you have Men Behaving Badly, Coupling. Dog help us all if they try Doctor Who! :eek:

The horror of a US Doctor Who remake pales in comparison to the utterly terrifying prospect of a US cloned Peep Show.

That said you are right about some of the transitions being quite good, I have really enjoyed the Spacey House of Cards

Dog help us all if they try Doctor Who! :eek:

They already tried that, back in 1996. The television movie featuring Paul McGann as the 9th Doctor was intended to be a pilot for an American version of the series, though it was filmed in Canada.

Esp. the Spiderman ep.

I haven't seen Leverage, but will keep an eye out.

I will forever bear a grudge for what they did to Wilfred.

Red Dwarf (barf). Prime Suspect transferred well, as you would expect from a police show.

Dog help us all if they try Doctor Who! :eek:

They already tried that, back in 1996. The television movie featuring Paul McGann as the 9th Doctor was intended to be a pilot for an American version of the series, though it was filmed in Canada.
Wasn't that also the idea behind the Peter Cushing movies?
A more international appeal of the material through the movies?

Band of Brothers - Four episodes into this show for this first time. It really is a remarkable job, how they put that whole thing together. It helps to explain why HBO costs as much as it does. That must have cost a fortune.

Funny thing, whenever I watch war movies, I always think of the prologue in Slaughterhouse Five and I ask myself, "Is this portraying the war or celebrating it?" I think they could have portrayed it a little better. An entire episode in the plane towards Normandy could have been quite intense. 4 of 4

Real Humans. I think it's Swedish. Quite interesting, but I think I've found it towards the end of its run. :(

Band of Brothers - Four episodes into this show for this first time. It really is a remarkable job, how they put that whole thing together. It helps to explain why HBO costs as much as it does. That must have cost a fortune.

Funny thing, whenever I watch war movies, I always think of the prologue in Slaughterhouse Five and I ask myself, "Is this portraying the war or celebrating it?" I think they could have portrayed it a little better. An entire episode in the plane towards Normandy could have been quite intense. 4 of 4

That's an interesting observation. I think there are a few times in the series where you get the feeling that it is celebrating the war - but it is usually in the context of emphasising the leadership qualities of an individual, the resilience of the soldiers or their camaraderie. The series really is so focused around the men in Easy Company that I felt that most of instances of celebration ended up being their own - though I agree that the producers did walk a fine line at times. War is still portrayed as it was, including retreats, pointless deaths, incompetence and excesses. I thoroughly agree that it is an amazing show - one of the best ever.

I found it interesting that The Pacific was so bad in comparison. Somehow removing the focus on a single unit and having a few main characters against the backdrop of the Pacific theatre just didn't work.

Hannibal - Season 1 (2013)

I like the "sophisticated" horror theme. I really like the interactions among the characters.

After watching this first season, I would really like to give it a top rating. But I have the same problem with Hannibal that I have with the US version of House of Cards.

Like Frank Underwood, Hannibal Lecter seems to have near-supernatural evil powers. I know that eventually he'll be caught, but it just seems to exceed my willing-suspension-of-disbelief by just a little.

If he were less of a super villain, I'd give Hannibal a 9 out of 10, just because it's so engrossing.

But I've got to subtract 0.5 for the over-the-top plotlines.

9/10

:)

That's an interesting observation. I think there are a few times in the series where you get the feeling that it is celebrating the war - but it is usually in the context of emphasising the leadership qualities of an individual, the resilience of the soldiers or their camaraderie. The series really is so focused around the men in Easy Company that I felt that most of instances of celebration ended up being their own - though I agree that the producers did walk a fine line at times. War is still portrayed as it was, including retreats, pointless deaths, incompetence and excesses. I thoroughly agree that it is an amazing show - one of the best ever.
Nearly at the end. They are doing a real good job at telling multiple stories. There is a the overall WWII arc, but the episodes typically center around individual characters and what they are facing. A good job at giving unrecognized perspectives.

Back
Top Bottom