• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Finally watching Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 fully since they've begun work on a Season 3 that s supposedly twice the length in episodes. It's still frickin creepy, which I like, and I learned more about the complex history, complicated house and leadership issues and so yeah., not bad.

7/10

The downside, of course, is that, like Game of Thrones, if you happen to become attached to any character they may well not last an episode, or maybe it'll go for a seaon and then they get killed, leading to prolly all of them never reaching much more than their 30s, if that.

I'm up to episode 9 of season 2 of Luke Cage. They still emphasize characters over action, and it still feels like the right way to go with Luke Cage.

The discussion about racism is more direct and less metaphorical. They even bring up colorism a few times.

Far and away the best action sequences is a bar fight that exists to serve the story, and not just to have another action sequence.

Misty is understandably feeling sorry for herself about losing an arm while she and Colleen (her martial arts instructor and friend at this point) are drinking in a bar. Colleen points out that Misty is a capable person and that with or without both arms she can therefore cause changes in the world.

Misty gets accosted by an overly persistent suitor who seems to imply that her missing arm maker her an easier target. She loses it and ends up in a fight against him and all his friends. Despite having only one arm, she holds her own, and Colleen just sits there watching the whole thing instead of getting involved. Colleen enters the fight only when someone sneaks up behind Misty with a makeshift weapon and in very little time, the bar thugs are all on the floor.

Colleen's point is made, and Misty's character arc progresses.

We also get a nice little tease for Daughters of the Dragon if Netflix ever wants to go in that direction.

Too early to render any judgment, but so far I would say that season 2 is not quite as good as the first half of season 1, but a huge improvement over the second half of season 1. So far there is no evidence of the mid-season nosedive that plagued the first season, so they seem to have taken the criticism of fans.

Brockmire season 1: 8/10
Brockmire season 2: 3/10

season 1 is amazing if you consider a vulgar, crass, cynical, dour show that is extremely well written and well acted to be a breathe of fresh air and a refreshing change up to the run-of-the-mill milquetoast TV moral landscape.
i broke down in hysterical laughter at several points, the dialogue is great and the delivery fantastic - and somehow the show manages to make a lot of points about small town culture, american culture at large, marriage, sexual identity, the economy, and all of these things... but casually, kind of in the background. it's quite well done.

season 2 is a massive nose-dive from there, partly because it stops the looser "introduction" feel to the first season and also because it stumbles into being a more normal show with banal standard morality all around it and the same boring tedious shit every other show in existence churns out, with a "crank but loveable" lead.
huge disappointment given how awesome every single episode of season 1 is, that by halfway through season 2 i was bored of the entire show and only powered through to the end for the principle.

Luke Cage, season 2
8.5/10

Overall, one of the better Marvel Netflix seasons we've seen. It seems that the show runner really took to heart the criticisms people made of season one.

There was no mid-season giant left turn that got rid of an interesting villain.

Both villains remained complicated. Bushmaster in particular was sympathetic. Mariah's daughter may or may not go bad in a future season. Some of what I expected to happen did, but then again some things that I was expecting didn't, and there was a twist at the end that I didn't see coming.

It took a while for Misty to get her arm, and during that time, they did a good job of explaining some of the issues amputees have to deal with, from the emotional pain of losing a body part to frustrations they have with the way people treat them.

When she finally got her robot arm, it was from Rand Industries instead of Tony Stark, and so far it has no special weapons built into it like the one in the comic books. It's just an arm that works and allows her to do martial arts with both arms again, and she can throw punches with it that land a little harder, and it allows her to block blows from superpowered opponents.

Danny showed up. I'll talk more about him below outside of this hidden section. They established their bond and he spouted Asian monk crap like in the comic books, but he and Luke didn't start Heroes for Hire. That was a shock.

The twist at the end was that Luke inherited Harlem's Paradise. Further, in the power vacuum created when Mariah Dillard went to jail, he had to broker a peace deal with other organized crime groups. It's heavily implied that that peace deal combined with being in charge of Harlem's Paradise might lead him down the path to becoming a gangster instead of a hero, but they also left hints in place that that will not happen.

For example, the Biggy Smalls painting that was always used as a symbol of someone seeking power among the criminal underground was removed by Luke once he took over. That painting is now replaced by a picture of Mohammed Ali. I was expecting this show to end with the founding of Heroes for Hire, but instead it ended with us asking if Luke will become a mob boss of some kind.

One nice thing about the scenes with Danny is that the Marvel-Netflix people clearly heard the complaints made about him. There was some tweaking done to the character, which was explained away with some hand-waving, but the character is definitely less annoying now, and a bit more like the comic book. I especially liked when Luke and Danny were bonding over old school hip hop.

All in all, season 2 was a lot better than season 1.

If you liked the first half of season 1, but lost interest once Cottonmouth went away, you'll love season 2.

Kiss Me First on Netflix, season 1, 7/10

Good performances. Kept me engaged, often on the edge of my seat. At first seemed kind of dumb but quickly got better. The actress in the starring role has an amazing presence. The story was interesting and not too predictable. The few times where the technology was explained, it was the kind of nonsense that makes actual technical people roll their eyes, but that didn't take anything away from it, at least for me. Also, I should take off another point for the title. They were really stupid to not call it Shadowfax.

Luke Cage, season 2
8.5/10

Overall, one of the better Marvel Netflix seasons we've seen. It seems that the show runner really took to heart the criticisms people made of season one.

Both villains remained complicated. Bushmaster in particular was sympathetic. Mariah's daughter may or may not go bad in a future season. Some of what I expected to happen did, but then again some things that I was expecting didn't, and there was a twist at the end that I didn't see coming.

It took a while for Misty to get her arm, and during that time, they did a good job of explaining some of the issues amputees have to deal with, from the emotional pain of losing a body part to frustrations they have with the way people treat them.

When she finally got her robot arm, it was from Rand Industries instead of Tony Stark, and so far it has no special weapons built into it like the one in the comic books. It's just an arm that works and allows her to do martial arts with both arms again, and she can throw punches with it that land a little harder, and it allows her to block blows from superpowered opponents.

Danny showed up. I'll talk more about him below outside of this hidden section. They established their bond and he spouted Asian monk crap like in the comic books, but he and Luke didn't start Heroes for Hire. That was a shock.

The twist at the end was that Luke inherited Harlem's Paradise. Further, in the power vacuum created when Mariah Dillard went to jail, he had to broker a peace deal with other organized crime groups. It's heavily implied that that peace deal combined with being in charge of Harlem's Paradise might lead him down the path to becoming a gangster instead of a hero, but they also left hints in place that that will not happen.

For example, the Biggy Smalls painting that was always used as a symbol of someone seeking power among the criminal underground was removed by Luke once he took over. That painting is now replaced by a picture of Mohammed Ali. I was expecting this show to end with the founding of Heroes for Hire, but instead it ended with us asking if Luke will become a mob boss of some kind.

One nice thing about the scenes with Danny is that the Marvel-Netflix people clearly heard the complaints made about him. There was some tweaking done to the character, which was explained away with some hand-waving, but the character is definitely less annoying now, and a bit more like the comic book. I especially liked when Luke and Danny were bonding over old school hip hop.

If you liked the first half of season 1, but lost interest once Cottonmouth went away, you'll love season 2.

I basically agree. In the first season, the show seemed to be walking a tightrope trying to be "black" enough, but not blackspoilation. Occasionally it felt like watching a documentary on Black History Month. And there was the issue of pacing, when Cottonmouth got whacked and was replaced by an inferior villain. The second season is much more consistent and laid back... Luke cracks some jokes and even breaks the fourth wall. The drawback is that while the show is consistently good, and you can get a pretty good idea what the rest of it is by watching 2-3 first episodes, there aren't really any big plot twists either. The plot just goes back and forth like a ping pong game until the conclusion where people start dying (and not that dramatically either).

As for the Heroes for Hire angle, the guest appearances by Danny and Colleen are just one-off episodes, and felt a little forced. "Hey look, it's Iron Fist and the ninja girl from that other show!" their relationships don't develop much, and they're forgotten by the next episode. It's a shame. I wouldn't mind if they gave Iron Fist another chance after the somewhat lackluster show of his and the subsequent dumpster fire that the Defenders was, but sadly I think it's not likely to happen. As for Luke Cage being a "hero for hire", they do reference it a lot, but...

... the first guy who "hires" him dies before he can pay out, and the other guy he was supposed to get the money to dies too.

And then black mariah "hires" him, even though at the time she was broke and couldn't even hire a lawyer. She ditches him almost immediately anyway. And isn't it weird, that they call her the "black mariah" apparently because her skin is blacker than the average, when clearly, Mike Colter's skin tone is a lot darker? I guess pigmentation can change with age but still...

In summary, Mike Colter is the perfect fit to play the character and I really like the actor. And the same is true of the antagonist, Bushmaster. But Misty, Shades and Mariah aren't really that interesting. Except the new revelation from Shades.

Last edited:
GLOW (second season)

Finished watching it last night. What a good, solid show. I was worried that they'd ruined it over the first 4-5 episodes because of the way they wrote Mark Maron's character. He went from being a guy who is indeed an asshole, but with enough humor, edginess, and redeeming qualities to make him always interesting, to just outright asshole with no redeeming qualities. And they never bothered to give any hint as to why. But then it all came together and made for a satisfying second season. Hopefully there's a third, and hopefully it doesn't take another year to produce 10 episodes.

8/10

Should we have a separate thread for anime? Putting this there until then.

My Hero Acadamia
On the third season and very much enjoying it. A superhero story set in a world where about 80% of the people are just born with some kind of power (manifesting in teenage years). Most are nothing that great, but enough are significant enough to result in an elite academy to train licensed heroes. Only licensed heroes are allowed to use their powers on others. The main character loves heroes, and wants to be one just like the greatest hero All Might!.... unfortunately he is of the 20% without powers... A chance encounter lets him learn some of All Might's secrets, like his power is fading, and that his power was given to him. All Might is looking for someone to pass on his powers to, and sees the kid has the heart of a true hero, so starts training him and gives him a small fraction of his power. Overall a great series, and doesn't follow the same patterns of superhero movies in case you want something different.

Starblazers
Starting the second season. Now this is how a remake should be done. The ship designs are the same, character designs are pretty close to the original, but look so much better with modern animation techniques. All the original music and sound effects. The main story is the same, but they fix some of the plot holes of the original, and go off in interesting new directions. The only remake that I've seen done better is Voltron.

Luke Cage, season 2
8.5/10

I basically agree. In the first season, the show seemed to be walking a tightrope trying to be "black" enough, but not blackspoilation. Occasionally it felt like watching a documentary on Black History Month. And there was the issue of pacing, when Cottonmouth got whacked and was replaced by an inferior villain. The second season is much more consistent and laid back... Luke cracks some jokes and even breaks the fourth wall. The drawback is that while the show is consistently good, and you can get a pretty good idea what the rest of it is by watching 2-3 first episodes, there aren't really any big plot twists either. The plot just goes back and forth like a ping pong game until the conclusion where people start dying (and not that dramatically either).

As for the Heroes for Hire angle, the guest appearances by Danny and Colleen are just one-off episodes, and felt a little forced. "Hey look, it's Iron Fist and the ninja girl from that other show!" their relationships don't develop much, and they're forgotten by the next episode. It's a shame. I wouldn't mind if they gave Iron Fist another chance after the somewhat lackluster show of his and the subsequent dumpster fire that the Defenders was, but sadly I think it's not likely to happen. As for Luke Cage being a "hero for hire", they do reference it a lot, but...

... the first guy who "hires" him dies before he can pay out, and the other guy he was supposed to get the money to dies too.

And then black mariah "hires" him, even though at the time she was broke and couldn't even hire a lawyer. She ditches him almost immediately anyway. And isn't it weird, that they call her the "black mariah" apparently because her skin is blacker than the average, when clearly, Mike Colter's skin tone is a lot darker? I guess pigmentation can change with age but still...

In summary, Mike Colter is the perfect fit to play the character and I really like the actor. And the same is true of the antagonist, Bushmaster. But Misty, Shades and Mariah aren't really that interesting. Except the new revelation from Shades.

The Colleen cameo did involve some character development. Misty learned how much she could do even with one arm missing, which was exactly the kick in the ass she needed at that moment.

Danny probably affected Luke's character arc, but to be honest, I was too busy noticing how much less annoying this version of Danny is. Cheo Hodari should direct the next Iron Fist.

And there were some twists for me. I didn't expect[ent]hellip[/ent]

Luke to end up in a position where he might become corrupted by the very thing he is fighting.

I didn't expect Mariah's death.

I didn't expect Tilda to go bad in quite that way.

I didn't expect Misty to become precinct captain instead of quitting the force entirely. They certainly made it sound like they were going to follow the comic books, then wham!

Mariah got the nickname from cruel children. At the time sheet got the nickname, it would have been because she was darker than average, not because she was darker than Luke Cage.

I found it refreshing to have characters openly acknowledge colorism and its negative effects.

A lot of African-Americans feel that kind of debate should remain within their community because the issue is mostly an internal one (it's mostly about how black people treat each other), but because Hollywood promotes the idea that black women with lighter skin are more sexually attractive, white people have already been pulled into this debate whether they realize it or not.

Mariah got the nickname from cruel children. At the time sheet got the nickname, it would have been because she was darker than average, not because she was darker than Luke Cage.

I got that, but it's not plausible because the actress' skin tone is clearly not that dark. Unless she was in a school with albinos her name doesn't match her looks. But that's really a minor quibble. I guess they had to come up with something to explain how someone could get a nickname like "black mariah" in Harlem.

As for Colleen helping Misty with her character development... she was doing just fine without her. And besides, she got the robot arm just after that so it's not as if she really had to deal with being handicapped for that long. But don't get me wrong, I didn't mind the episode, just pointing out that it was indeed just one episode. We never hear from Colleen again afterwards, which was the real shame.

I got that, but it's not plausible because the actress' skin tone is clearly not that dark. Unless she was in a school with albinos her name doesn't match her looks. But that's really a minor quibble. I guess they had to come up with something to explain how someone could get a nickname like "black mariah" in Harlem.

As for Colleen helping Misty with her character development... she was doing just fine without her. And besides, she got the robot arm just after that so it's not as if she really had to deal with being handicapped for that long. But don't get me wrong, I didn't mind the episode, just pointing out that it was indeed just one episode. We never hear from Colleen again afterwards, which was the real shame.

Black Maria (pronounced homophonically with the character name) is a card game in which players try to avoid the queen of spades. It's also slang for a police van used to transport prisoners.

I would assume that the nickname would be founded in one or both of these references, rather than being a specific reference to skin tone.

So I started watching...

Under the Dome

...on Netflix. It's about a town that gets encased in a transparent dome. I'm just a few episodes in, but already it's completely unbelievable. They even make a point how he army is working to find a way to communicate with the townspeople, but that's utterly ridiculous... they can SEE each other, so setting up communications should be the first things they'd be able to do.

The problem with the show is that it focuses solely on the townspeople, when the really excitement is outside where no doubt Earth's smartest people would be figuring out ways to experiment with the dome and figure out ways to help out the townsfolk.

So I started watching...

Under the Dome

...on Netflix. It's about a town that gets encased in a transparent dome. I'm just a few episodes in, but already it's completely unbelievable. They even make a point how he army is working to find a way to communicate with the townspeople, but that's utterly ridiculous... they can SEE each other, so setting up communications should be the first things they'd be able to do.

The problem with the show is that it focuses solely on the townspeople, when the really excitement is outside where no doubt Earth's smartest people would be figuring out ways to experiment with the dome and figure out ways to help out the townsfolk.

I'm only halfway through second season, and this has to be the stupidest show I've seen in a while. It's like poor man's Lost, but makes even less sense. None of the characters make logical choices or seem to remember what happened to them the day before. They can't even decide if they want to get out of the dome or stay inside the dome. And the dome itself doesn't seem to be able to decide what it wants to do.

And nothing works the way it's supposed to. It's like the writers were completely oblivious as to how weather, windmills, the internet, temperatures, cars, clocks, wells, boats or anything functions.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure the tease was on purpose to see how much buzz it generates. Ditto for the new and improved version of Danny.

So I started watching...

Under the Dome

I'm only halfway through second season, and this has to be the stupidest show I've seen in a while. It's like poor man's Lost, but makes even less sense. None of the characters make logical choices or seem to remember what happened to them the day before. They can't even decide if they want to get out of the dome or stay inside the dome. And the dome itself doesn't seem to be able to decide what it wants to do.

And nothing works the way it's supposed to. It's like the writers were completely oblivious as to how weather, windmills, the internet, temperatures, cars, clocks, wells, boats or anything functions.

The whole premise appears to be a rip-off of James Follett's Pentworth trilogy, which was published between 2000 and 2001, some eight years before King's novel, and the basic concept of a mysterious dome cutting off a small town goes back at least as far as Clifford Simak's All Flesh is Grass (1965).

So I started watching...

Under the Dome

The whole premise appears to be a rip-off of James Follett's Pentworth trilogy, which was published between 2000 and 2001, some eight years before King's novel, and the basic concept of a mysterious dome cutting off a small town goes back at least as far as Clifford Simak's All Flesh is Grass (1965).
While I don't think Stephen King is such a great author, I'd still give him benefit of the doubt knowing that at least books have a beginning and an end, and the author isn't responsible for the tv adaption whose writers don't know where they are going from one week to the next. My criticism isn't about the premise, it's about how fucking idiotic and inconsistent every character in the show is. It's like the entire town is populated by people who, when facing a 15 minute power outage, would all be asking "so who do we eat first?"

Sure it's a valid concern that they'll run out of food. But in the episode where they say that they have enough food only for one week, the "solution" that the geniuses come up with is to kill 25% of the population with swine flu. Great. Now you have food for nine and a half days, everyone is sick, and you have rotting corpses everywhere.

So I started watching...

Under the Dome

I liked it. It's not hard sci-fi. It's just a fun thought experiment. What if... etc.

edit: I just saw they've made more seasons. I only saw season one. I liked that it ended without providing an answer. I can't imagine this one is possible to keep alive for more seasons. And I hope (the horror) that they haven't tried providing an explanation to the dome. That would just be dumb.

Cloak and Dagger
9/10

I know. We're only part way through season 1 and the review is probably premature, but I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

The pace is quite leisurely. We're halfway through season 1, and the pair barely understand what their powers are, how their powers can be used, and haven't started a romantic relationship yet. For me that's not an issue. I like the fact that it focuses on characters and their motivations rather than on their superduper powers.

My one beef is with the theme.

The original story was written because the comic book writer read a story about homeless teenage runaways and was disturbed by it. In the TV show, the theme of homeless teenage runaways is barely mentioned. Yes, Tandy is technically a homeless teenage runaway who lives in an abandoned church, but she frequently goes back to living with her mother, who will clearly take Tandy back anytime things get tough for Tandy, and that really undermines any possible exploration of that as a theme.

Also, one of the revenge motives of Cloak and Dagger in the comics was the fact that other homeless teenage runaways were being exploited, not just themselves. In the TV show, both got their powers and both were harmed long before Tandy became a homeless runaway. Further, the issue of homelessness could really be made to resonate with audiences given the recent troubles New Orleans has faced.

Anyway, other than dropping the ball on what should be a central theme (if not the central theme), it's one of the better superhero shows on TV.

While I don't think Stephen King is such a great author, I'd still give him benefit of the doubt knowing that at least books have a beginning and an end, and the author isn't responsible for the tv adaption whose writers don't know where they are going from one week to the next.....

While some people may go ga-ga over different authors, like my favorite authors Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke, none are writers of "the Great American Novel". Not exactly on par with the Iliad or Beowulf, but still a good read. Movie and TV adaptations of King's novels have been hit and miss, so you and I are agreed that the author isn't responsible for the adaptation.

In the case of "Under the Dome", I like the first season but then it faltered. Not unsual for many shows in their sophomore year. It would have been better as a mini-series adaptation of the novel.

As for shows my wife and I are watching: "American Woman" (pretty funny), "Dietland" (also funny but more satiric) and "unReal" (wildly satiric and very smart).

Back
Top Bottom