• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Two of my favorite shows from the late 70s are on Tubi now. Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rogers. The former was worthy of a gritty reboot, and I'd love it if someone would do a modern version of the latter. Just with less spandex...

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzYr9dlFWs[/YOUTUBE]

Two of my favorite shows from the late 70s are on Tubi now. Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rogers. The former was worthy of a gritty reboot, and I'd love it if someone would do a modern version of the latter. Just with less spandex...

Yea, I really loved Battlestar Galactica. Couldn't believe when it was cancelled! The reboot was great

Yea, I really loved Battlestar Galactica. Couldn't believe when it was cancelled! The reboot until the writers strike was great
FIFY

SEASON 5 OF RICK AND MORTY!!!

BIATCHES

It was worth the wait. Pure gold as usual. Mr. Nimbus is my new favourite character.

I'd love it if someone would do a modern version of the latter. Just with less spandex...

Erin Grey in spandex was the only reason I ever watched Buck Rogers.

Oh come on. There were so many other good reasons! Like...um...Pamela Hensley in a bikini. Markie Post in spandex. Uh...other guest stars in spandex!

Okay, seriously...back in the day I read the source material for Buck Rogers. Philip Francis Nowlan's "Armageddon 2419." Pulp science fiction, but it had some interesting stuff in there. For example, the evil empire (the Hans) had a society where people would get all their information and entertainment in big, flat screens in their homes. Not only that, but they could use those screens to order any number of products, have them delivered to their door, and the money would be electronically withdrawn from their accounts. What a crazy view of how the future would be, huh?

Schmigadoon

I had no intention of watching so much as one episode of this, whatever it is. But it came down to this or getting up and being productive so I gave it a try. It's really not so bad. Only three episodes so far but I'll give it a provisional 7/10. I can say it's the second best musical I've ever seen.

What We Do In The Shadows 7/10

It is so stupid, but funny, that it draws you in and keep watching. I missed part of the pilot so I don't know the full setup, but it is filmed kind of like a documentary crew following a group of vampires in Staten Island. They are weird and quite a bit out of touch. One of them is an 'energy vampire' who is not affected by sunlight, and feeds off of emotions of frustration and boredom which he is very good at inflicting on others. And there is the human familiar, a servant who hopes to be turned into a vampire as a reward for his long service, but is pretty much taken for granted. Quite an impressive list of guest stars have appeared in it as well. Season three is supposed to be out in september, can't wait to see it after how season two ended.

Loki

So finished Episode Six of Loki which starts off where Endgame leaves him, a benefactor of an angry stairs maddened Hulk. It shares a bit with Wandavision in that it has its own timeline style, setting feels like the 60s/70s. A bunch of twists and turns. The trouble I have with Loki is he just rarely ever grows. Being the God of Mischief in several movies, I start getting a Game of Thrones feel that "I shouldn't get too comfortable" with this character, because the head is likely to fall off, or in Loki's case, you just keep waiting for the inevitable. As a series, it feels bit under the other two series which had viable completions where as Loki appears to continue. There is good humor here and there (especially there... and when you get to it, you'll know what I'm talk about). Very enjoyable.

3.5 of 4

For All Mankind! Love the show. 10/10. Just finished season 1. One of my favorite shows of all time. It's on Apple TV

(I've done this before, but after watching a lot of TV for months, I have to do it again.)

Anyway, I saw this show, and there were some really cool people in it, I mean people who could beat the crap out of anybody! There was this dude, he was awesome! He beat the living daylights out of this one guy, and then beat the crap out of another guy, and it didn't hurt his hand at all! He was pounding them! And then, there was this other scene, where these guys were in an alley, and they had guns, but this other guy, he came in and beat the living shit out of both of them! He kept hitting them in the face, whack, whack, for like a minute! He must have pounded them twenty times! And the dudes never bled! Or raised their arms to protect themselves! It's like, they just kept taking it and taking it and taking it, without bleeding!

Holy Christ what entertainment!

**Sorry, I'm just completely sick of the violence on TV...

Last edited:
(I've done this before, but after watching a lot of TV for months, I have to do it again.)

Anyway, I saw this show, and there were some really cool people in it, I mean people who could beat the crap out of anybody! There was this dude, he was awesome! He beat the living daylights out of this one guy, and then beat the crap out of another guy, and it didn't hurt his hand at all! He was pounding them! And then, there was this other scene, where these guys were in an alley, and they had guns, but this other guy, he came in and beat the living shit out of both of them! He kept hitting them in the face, whack, whack, for like a minute! He must have pounded them twenty times! And the dudes never bled! Or raised their arms to protect themselves! It's like, they just kept taking it and taking it and taking it, without bleeding!

Holy Christ what entertainment!

**Sorry, I'm just completely sick of the violence on TV...
Reminds me of Daredevil. The guy who is haunted by Catholicism dogma and refuses to kill people, but will bludgeon his enemies with seriously intense brain trauma.

My wife was channel surfing the other day and landed on an episode of Little House on the Prairie, which captured our attention. Now I'm pretty much obsessed with the show. I only watched bits and pieces of it when it originally aired so now we're watching it from the start since our cable package, fortunately, includes Peacock.

I don't know exactly what it is about the show, but something about it is absolutely appealing today. It might be the fact that it's so much more "wholesome" than modern TV fare, it might be a longing for the simpler, though difficult, times it portrays.

My wife was channel surfing the other day and landed on an episode of Little House on the Prairie, which captured our attention. Now I'm pretty much obsessed with the show. I only watched bits and pieces of it when it originally aired so now we're watching it from the start since our cable package, fortunately, includes Peacock.

I don't know exactly what it is about the show, but something about it is absolutely appealing today. It might be the fact that it's so much more "wholesome" than modern TV fare, it might be a longing for the simpler, though difficult, times it portrays.

It could come down to the fact that no-one ever has a damn cellphone.

I think modern film and TV programs are plagued by an over-reliance on cellphones. I've been watching 24, with Keifer Sutherland. I'd wager more than half the dialogue happens on the phone.

It could come down to the fact that no-one ever has a cellphone.

I think modern film and TV programs are plagued by an over-reliance on cellphones. I've been watching 24, with Keifer Sutherland. I'd wager more than half the dialogue happens on the phone.

I once thought about how many episodes of Seinfeld just couldn’t exist if they had had cell phones.

It could come down to the fact that no-one ever has a damn cellphone.

That's an odd example of "modern film and TV". The air date of the first episode of 24 is closer to the last episode of Little House on the Prairie, than it is to today. And the use of cell phones is crucial for the concept, what else is Jack Bauer going to do when driving the traffic-free streets of Los Angeles from terrorist A to terrorist B? If there is a show where phones are used justifiably, it's 24.

What really grinds my gears is that now the lazy network tv writers have given up on phones entirely. The characters just have invisible ear pieces that they use to talk to each other.

I'd never heard of American Crime Story until Stephen Colbert interviewed one of the stars recently. I decided to start Season 1 without even knowing what the crime story would be.

It was O.J. Simpson's murder trial. When that trial was carried live on U.S. TV, I was isolated in rural Thailand raising a baby and building a house. But eventually I did read 3 or 4 books about the trial.

The acting in ACS Season 1 is excellent; the story is riveting. I've not finished, but I'm very afraid O.J. will be acquitted. :( Watching the show infuriates me! I feel like Johnny Cochrane should be disbarred. (How much of the story is true? Did Johnny Cochrane really whisper "nigger" at the black prosecutor during an argument?) How in tarnation did the DA permit the defense to doctor up Simpson's home (with photos of Cochrane's children!?!) and parade the jurors through it?

The ease with which jurors were gulled was disheartening: I thought of posting these remarks in one of the Political threads. :)

I love LH as a child.

Back
Top Bottom