• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What video game are you playing?

/mod

ETA: Cease the harassment and goading. If it continues, an infraction and suspension will ensue. Let it go.

Railroad Tycoon II. Love this game, though it seems a bit easy, granted, I've been Tycooning it since the original was out way back in the Tandy 1000 RL days.

I've connected Baltimore to Philly.

I built the Lake Shore Limited line, by the way to easiest way to connect Chicago to Albany is to connect NYC to Philly. It seems like the wrong direction, but it gets you the capital to build out.

I just finished connecting St. Paul with Seattle for gold. The irony was I picked the northern pass... yet ended up going central because there was crap to connect with up north as most of the resources were between Boise and Denver. *sigh* First world problems. The board of my company were a bunch of asshats. I connect the Midwest to the West Coast super quick and they are pissed my revenues aren't higher. Well yeah, I could have used capital to buy industry, but then I'm not connecting the West Coast to the Midwest you wankers! I do like how you can buy and influence how well an industry does. I don't like how all of a sudden after connecting produce to Des Moines for a $150,000, I get a message saying cities no longer accepting produce, go find a cannery or fuck yourself. :(

Southwest is next.

Just picked up Civ VI last week in the Steam Summer Sale.

While not as good as Civ IV, it's certainly a large step up from Civ V. Based on what I've seen from perusing internet forums about it, I think that my decision to wait at least a year after release to buy it was the correct one because the beta versions they first put out for user testing seemed to have some issues. It's more complex than previous versions and there's been a learning curve in getting the games going with all the new mechanics and everything, but I'm quite enjoying playing it.

While I grant that the AI is terrible at dealing with 1 unit per tile, I for one am glad to go without those stacks of doom.

On a related note, Genghis Khan has once again denounced me for being a warmonger. That shit never stops being funny.

While I grant that the AI is terrible at dealing with 1 unit per tile, I for one am glad to go without those stacks of doom.

The AI is a bit better at it in VI than in V, but it does still suck. I would just be impressed if they tweaked the AI so that when a civ declares war on me they have a substantial force moving into my territory on the next turn. The AI is always so piecemeal about invading that it is almost trivial to knock them back unless you are significantly behind on the tech tree.

On a related note, Genghis Khan has once again denounced me for being a warmonger. That shit never stops being funny.

My latest campaign was my third attempt on Prince with Kongo. Since Kongo cannot start a religion, the first two attempts obviously ended in another civ winning with a religious victory. I decided not to "cheat" by turning down the difficulty, or turning off the religious victory. Instead, I went with a larger map size (standard rather than small), and made sure I was on the continents map. Even at that, it was a close thing. At one point, Poland was just one civ and a few cities short of claiming the world for Catholicism, so I had to declare war on Jadwiga for the purpose of putting all of her religious units to the torch for heresy, since my civ was also under the sway of Catholicism and I could not engage them in theological combat. Fortunately, it worked, Roman Buddhism made a comeback, even managing to convert England before I ended with a science victory. I had actually been going for culture win, and I had all but the Romans in thrall to my culture, but I was still way to far behind with them to be comfortable in holding off on the space launches.

Railroad Tycoon II. Love this game, though it seems a bit easy, granted, I've been Tycooning it since the original was out way back in the Tandy 1000 RL days.

I built the Lake Shore Limited line, by the way to easiest way to connect Chicago to Albany is to connect NYC to Philly. It seems like the wrong direction, but it gets you the capital to build out.

I just finished connecting St. Paul with Seattle for gold. The irony was I picked the northern pass... yet ended up going central because there was crap to connect with up north as most of the resources were between Boise and Denver. *sigh* First world problems. The board of my company were a bunch of asshats. I connect the Midwest to the West Coast super quick and they are pissed my revenues aren't higher. Well yeah, I could have used capital to buy industry, but then I'm not connecting the West Coast to the Midwest you wankers! I do like how you can buy and influence how well an industry does. I don't like how all of a sudden after connecting produce to Des Moines for a $150,000, I get a message saying cities no longer accepting produce, go find a cannery or fuck yourself. :(

Southwest is next.

Minneapolis to Seattle, St. Louis to Sacramento, New Orleans to LA ... meh, that's the easy bit. Did it on my first attempt, moved on to the next scenario. As we say in Scotland, "a piece of piss".

No, what's bothering me these days is connecting Paris to Constantinople. By which I don't mean connecting Paris to Constantinople as such, but rather connecting Paris to Constantinople and carrying 24 loads between the two. And before 1889, of you please. I just can't do it! I had my fourth attempt at it this afternoon, and somehow I still can't get it right. Oh, well, if at first you don't succeed ... be a bit quicker about laying track between Bucharest and Belgrade, I suppose ...

Just bought all the Monkey Island games off GOG.

I had to stop. Man, they haven't aged well. I'd rather keep my nostalgia intact.

I had to stop. Man, they haven't aged well. I'd rather keep my nostalgia intact.

I know exactly what you mean. Not for that game, specifically, but I recently went to https://www.ssega.com/ and played a few of my old favourites; came out having thought "wow, and I used to enjoy that?" much more than I ever thought possible. Which makes my current enjoyment of Railroad Tycoon II all the more impressive to me. One of the very few games I played 20 years ago that still has something that appeals to me.

Southwest is next.

Minneapolis to Seattle, St. Louis to Sacramento, New Orleans to LA ... meh, that's the easy bit. Did it on my first attempt, moved on to the next scenario. As we say in Scotland, "a piece of piss".

No, what's bothering me these days is connecting Paris to Constantinople. By which I don't mean connecting Paris to Constantinople as such, but rather connecting Paris to Constantinople and carrying 24 loads between the two. And before 1889, of you please. I just can't do it! I had my fourth attempt at it this afternoon, and somehow I still can't get it right. Oh, well, if at first you don't succeed ... be a bit quicker about laying track between Bucharest and Belgrade, I suppose ...

I’m way behind you. Just did the trans Canada railroad. Just got silver, shouldn’t have bought back all that stock. :(

Europe next.

I know exactly what you mean. Not for that game, specifically, but I recently went to https://www.ssega.com/ and played a few of my old favourites; came out having thought "wow, and I used to enjoy that?" much more than I ever thought possible. Which makes my current enjoyment of Railroad Tycoon II all the more impressive to me. One of the very few games I played 20 years ago that still has something that appeals to me.

Now I'm afraid of playing Fallout 1 or 2. I replayed those things endlessly back in the day. It was one of the earliest examples of a sandbox game that allowed multiple different solutions to most quests and a world that changed based on your actions and decisions. I'd hate to go back and find out that it didn't age well.

You know what has aged fairly well? Ratchet & Clank. The controls aren't as awesome, but they're still just as much fun.

Super Metroid

Got the SNES classic. Never had the SNES so this is my first time playing it.

Super Metroid

Got the SNES classic. Never had the SNES so this is my first time playing it.

One of my faves.

For me, it's currently Octopath Traveller for Switch. Put in...13 hours so far, and enjoying my time with it, since for pity's sake it's a well-done turn-based RPG for once. This one is much less like FF in terms of storyline, where everyone's tied in through a single strong story, and closer instead to the SaGa line - each character has their own quests and abilities to use - as well as their own character class for now, although it certainly looks like they'll be able to take on secondary classes as the game progresses.

FF9: 4/10

after the dumpster fire that was FF15 i felt some nostalgia for older RPGs and saw 7 and 9 were on the PSN store for like 6 bucks so grabbed them - i never cared for 9 back in the day, and in fact had a scratch on disc 3 so had never actually finished it.
going back and playing through it, i still don't like it much - i can't help but feel like with 6 and 7 they hit a sort of perfection in terms of story and gameplay and tone that they've never replicated.
i know with 9 they were trying to go back to a more light-hearted fantasy romp after the grim-dark of 8 but IMO they swung too far on that pendulum and the game ends up feeling like a proto kingdom hearts.
though it is awful nice to go back to the ATB turn-based system, that is sorely missed in this franchise.

Southwest is next.

I’m way behind you. Just did the trans Canada railroad. Just got silver, shouldn’t have bought back all that stock. :(

Europe next.

Europe had its challenges, as did India. It's Australia and China where it started to get really interesting. But that's all behind me now, and I finally got to the big one: Africa. Getting to know it like the back of my hand, having restarted so often because I just knew I wouldn't connect Cape Town to Cairo in time. It throws too much at you: wars, double- and triple-dip recessions, man-eating lions FFS! (Based on a true story, as it turns out. :eek: )

Oh, well. Try again tomorrow ...

Last edited:
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
It's more or less Assassin's Creed: LOTR, complete with stealth kills, hiding in bushes, and death from above. Fine if you like that sort of thing, which I do, fortunately, but all the same, it gets a bit samey: kill this uruk, then kill this uruk, and when you're done killing these uruk over here, there's some uruk over there we need you to kill. To compound the uniformity, the landscapes are basically all the same, too: mud-filled scarlands of Mordor, with a few broken walls here and there, but not much resembling any kind of structure to help with orientation. It's fun killing all those uruk and all, but once I'm done here (the game says I'm on 53% completion), it'll be a good while and a serious dollop of boredom before I decide it's time to replay.
6/10 just because I hate the uruk-hai, and it's fun finding creative ways of killing them for a while. 2/10 replay value.

I just downloaded and started paying my first ever cell phone video game. True Fear: Forsaken Souls.

I'm very picky so I'm pleasantly surprised that I like it, the music, the artwork, the atmosphere and even what little voice acting there is. The style is horror/puzzle and they seem easy, but then I chose easy in level cuz I'm rusty I think.

I don't know what I rate it yet cuz I've only just started but I like it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom