• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What will be Trump's conditions of probation?

Felon in possession, straight to jail. There should be no probation. Sentence seems to be up to 15 years with a three year minimum if it's actual possession. (Yes, the law makes sense. There is "constructive possession" which simply requires the gun to be at his place or otherwise obtainable by the felon and there is "actual possession" which refers to it being on his person or where he could pick it up. The latter has the minimum, the former does not.)

And even if he beats the New York conviction that doesn't change the fact that he had constructive possession of a firearm as a felon. Florida will probably have to replace DeathSantis with someone more sane to get that prosecuted, though.
Isn't that the same thing the real President's son was just convicted of?
Is it ok to end a question with a preposition?
Could he keep it if it was rendered inoperable?
Very, very different crime.

Hunter Biden was convicted of not admitting to drug use on the background check. It's a moronic law, you can't have a gun if you use drugs. Strangely, though, it only applies to the illegal stuff. You can be loopy on morphine and not be prohibited but a joint once in a while and you are. Totally moronic law, the jury should have nullified.

I had another thought after making my previous post:

Where exactly is felon in possession committed?

When I wrote post #32 I was thinking the offense was committed where the gun is: Florida. Or is it committed where he is? New York? Or perhaps both? Or is it not a crime until he enters Florida?

As for "rendered inoperative"--I don't think so. At a minimum it would require demilling to normal standards (which AFIAK requires the receiver to be chopped into three parts--the stunt some protestors have done of taking a torch and whacking off the barrel of a rifle does not count as destroying it and in fact is very illegal as the result is a NFA-regulated weapon), but I think the law also applies to firearm parts.
I don't disagree that the law is moronic but Hunter was not convicted because he failed to disclose that he smoked a joint now and then. He had a (recent, if not current) history of using some pretty bad stuff. And while I don't really agree with the law as written, there is no way that Hunter Biden should ever be in possession of any kind of firearm or weapon. Nor should Trump for somewhat different reasons.

there is no way that Hunter Biden should ever be in possession of any kind of firearm or weapon. Nor should Trump for somewhat different reasons.
Nor should the vast majority of people who are in possession of firearms.
YMMV, but I have no idea why.

there is no way that Hunter Biden should ever be in possession of any kind of firearm or weapon. Nor should Trump for somewhat different reasons.
Nor should the vast majority of people who are in possession of firearms.
YMMV, but I have no idea why.
You are not wrong.

Some cases are more egregious than others.

I don't disagree that the law is moronic but Hunter was not convicted because he failed to disclose that he smoked a joint now and then. He had a (recent, if not current) history of using some pretty bad stuff. And while I don't really agree with the law as written, there is no way that Hunter Biden should ever be in possession of any kind of firearm or weapon. Nor should Trump for somewhat different reasons.
To me it doesn't matter what drugs he was doing--and his only gun offense was lying on that form. The two do not mix, but I don't see recreational drug use as incompatible with firearms, any more than recreational alcohol use is.

To me it doesn't matter what drugs he was doing--and his only gun offense was lying on that form. The two do not mix, but I don't see recreational drug use as incompatible with firearms, any more than recreational alcohol use is.
I would argue that recreational alcohol use does not mix with firearms use. Now, it is completely possible to have a drink or three now and then or have some recreational drugs now and then and not handle firearms. 100%. But I read the police blotter of my small community and there are virtually no arrests made that do NOT involve drugs and/or alcohol to an intoxicating level. Basically, if you aren't safe to drive, you definitely are not safe to handle or be in physical possession of a firearm (vs having one in a gun safe).

I would argue that recreational alcohol use does not mix with firearms use. Now, it is completely possible to have a drink or three now and then or have some recreational drugs now and then and not handle firearms. 100%. But I read the police blotter of my small community and there are virtually no arrests made that do NOT involve drugs and/or alcohol to an intoxicating level. Basically, if you aren't safe to drive, you definitely are not safe to handle or be in physical possession of a firearm (vs having one in a gun safe).
Fully agree.

One or the other, don't mix them.

But you can do recreational drugs the same as you can do recreational alcohol.

Fully agree.

One or the other, don't mix them.

But you can do recreational drugs the same as you can do recreational alcohol.
Sure. Not necessarily more safely, though. For yourself or others.

I don’t understand why the 2nd amendment folks aren’t all over this. The bad things you can do with a gun are already illegal so how is it ok with them that you can’t even possess a gun while on drugs? This seems antithetical to all pro-gun rights arguments.

I can only assume since there’s no uproar from them that they are just hyperpartisans and don’t actually believe their fundamentals. The same kind of hypocrisy we see in the religious.

I don’t understand why the 2nd amendment folks aren’t all over this. The bad things you can do with a gun are already illegal so how is it ok with them that you can’t even possess a gun while on drugs? This seems antithetical to all pro-gun rights arguments.

I can only assume since there’s no uproar from them that they are just hyperpartisans and don’t actually believe their fundamentals. The same kind of hypocrisy we see in the religious.
Drugs are bad. That's how they justify it. Everyone knows that drug users are all dangerous criminals. Now, that is written tongue in cheek but a family member has serious drug and alcohol issues and thankfully, AFAIK has never had possession of any firearm. That said, he has assaulted 3 family members and I am grateful for the fact that there was no firearm involved.

Of course there is a huge difference between someone who smokes a bit of pot now and then or uses edibles VS someone who snorts coke or uses meth or plant food or whatever is the coolest most dangerous thing they can get their hands on.

Back
Top Bottom