• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What’s next for the GOP?

I had more respect for Hillary than for the people and apparatus that was supporting her through the primaries. Contrary to her sloganeering, her tacticians never took any high road.
I voted for her because I knew that her opponent was a career criminal conman. I am still at a loss as to why everyone didn’t know that in 2016, and even more so today. It’s kinda inescapable to anyone with more than two brain cells and a spirochete.

He was an alpha male bully, and some people gravitate to that. Just didn't know tens of millions of other people could hold their nose that well. In the end, it paid off, they got three SCOTUS justices to the bench, which will leave a scare on America for a while, but that is what they wanted.

A significant number of people never forgave Hillary for being a woman at all. And that's not necessarily something you admit to a pollster.... especially if you are a political "liberal".

I suppose that's probably true, depending on what you consider "significant". I'm guessing that number is really tiny, if you leave out the people uninclined to vote Democrats at all. I could be wrong, but I don't think I know any and I know a lot of "Liberals", whatever that means these days.
She seemed, to me, to lose far more support amongst "Liberals" because she wasn't as leftist as Bernie Sanders. She didn't even qualify as a liberal to me.

Being to the left of Raphael "Ted" Cruz isn't what I mean by liberal. Although, frankly, that word has been so abused I don't see it as having much meaning any more.
Tom

That is why I self identify as Progressive instead og Liberal. Liberal means nothing any more. Forvexample, in Australia the Liberal Party are the conservatives.

She seemed, to me, to lose far more support amongst "Liberals" because she wasn't as leftist as Bernie Sanders. She didn't even qualify as a liberal to me.
That was certainly my objection. But it didn't cost her my vote.

Me either.
It's kinda what got her my vote.

I didn't like a lot about her. But I believed that she could and would accomplish more of Bernie Sanders agenda than he could have done.
Tom

I can’t comment on the polls and Hillary’s lead. But I will comment that a large percentage of voters never forgave Hillary for forgiving Bill. So they didn’t vote for her. Did the polls miss that? Don’t know.
Hillary lost due to dirty tricks in the New York DOJ orchestrated by Rudy G. The DOJ reopened the Hillary email investigation shortly before the election, forcing James Comey to make a public announcement of it, even though they had the evidence used to reopen the investigation for months. And then nothing came out of that new investigation.

That was certainly my objection. But it didn't cost her my vote.

Me either.
It's kinda what got her my vote.

I didn't like a lot about her. But I believed that she could and would accomplish more of Bernie Sanders agenda than he could have done.
Tom
If the last couple of years have taught us anything, it's that a Democrat we don't particularly think was a good choice (whether it be age, or not being "left" enough, or personal life) is better because competency and experience matters.

I also did not care for Hillary, but she knew how the system worked, and could get shit done. Biden was pretty far down my list as well, but he's got decades of experience in the system, and it shows. He's getting shit done because he knows how to get shit done in the federal government.

The GOP? They've been - for all intents and purposes - running on their lack of competence for decades. Trump's selling point was that he was a "successful businessman." Government is not a business. Bush Jr's selling point was that he was a successful businessman (he wasn't), and government is not a business. Mittens the Pander Bear Romney ran on being a successful businessman. Government is not a business.

The GOP (circling back to the thread title) is in many ways sabotaging their future because they can't let go of this idea that "we suck at governing, please give us control of government" is a winning strategy. This used to not be the way. When I was growing up, the Republican Party was "we're better at governing because (insert policy and approach to governing here) is a better way." That all changed with Reagan and his "government isn't the solution to your problems, government IS the problem" bullshit.

Nowadays they're all but running on "put us in charge of this thing so we can destroy it." The Democrats are doing a little better based on competency. Simply put, "they know how to government."

Reactions: SLD
If they can't hold enough power in the states to give them influence in Congress, then the big donor money will dry up.
Yup. Money is a chickenshit. It normally runs away at the first sign of trouble. But now, it has let a bloated demagogue get “too big to fail”, and when the money is finally forced to abandon ship, it’s going to hurt a lot. Even small donations, which skyrocketed after the first indictment, have flatlined since. Now the reckoning draws nigh, and Cheato is down to only 33% of the electorate with which to hold the money people hostage. At some point they’re going to figure they‘re throwing good money after bad, and pull the plug.
Well, we can’t forget the ( very illegal) money from foreign countries that purposely fund dysfunctional, destructive candidates and political positions. They’ll keep going until that cow is dry and then move on to the next. Hell, they already are cultivating their next useful idiots.

Seems to me he could be put in pre-trial detention. I understand the Fulton County Jail is a real hell hole. They've actually had two inmates die from flea and bedbug infestation.
For a well-known germaphobe like Trump, jail would be hell on earth. Am I dreaming, or did I read somewhere that he uses each tube of toothpaste once, and then discards it? (I googled that detail but couldn't find it.) And instead of "the biggest slice of chocolate cake you ever saw in your life" he'd have a plate of institutional beans. Maybe 'hamberders' on Friday. Damn, it'll never happen. But if it does, I'll chip in to get him a subscription to The Watchtower. He can share it with his cellmates (who I hope come from, you know, the shithole countries.)

Latest poll should worry the GOP a bit. And scare America a lot!

article said:
Trump is the top choice for his party’s nomination at the traditional Labor Day start to a more engaged campaign season, ahead of his nearest rival by more than 30 percentage points (52% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independent voters support him, compared with 18% behind Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis). And Trump is broadly seen as best able to handle a wide range of issues.
As bad as that looks, that wasn't the issue. This is.
article said:
More than 4 in 10 in the potential GOP primary electorate say they have definitely decided to support him for the nomination (43% are definite Trump backers, 20% are firmly behind another candidate, and 37% have no first choice or say they could change their minds).
Now, keep in mind this is a little misleading as primaries are state to state, not base don national polls. However, over 40% of GOP primary voters (presumably?) say they are all-in on Trump. When dealing with a large primary field... again... 40+% is a really good place to be with definite votes. Just 10% more and he is comfortably over 50%. Who is out there in this field that can garner the 57% remaining?

Seems to me he could be put in pre-trial detention. I understand the Fulton County Jail is a real hell hole. They've actually had two inmates die from flea and bedbug infestation.
For a well-known germaphobe like Trump, jail would be hell on earth. Am I dreaming, or did I read somewhere that he uses each tube of toothpaste once, and then discards it? (I googled that detail but couldn't find it.)
Wow.. just the mental image of Trump brushing his teeth creeps me out.

For a well-known germaphobe like Trump, jail would be hell on earth. Am I dreaming, or did I read somewhere that he uses each tube of toothpaste once, and then discards it? (I googled that detail but couldn't find it.)
I always pictured him lying back in a chair and having a person brush and floss for him.

I always pictured him lying back in a chair and having a person brush and floss for him.
I thought a bird would pick them clean, as plovers do for crocodiles.

I thought a bird would pick them clean, as plovers do for crocodiles.
Why do you hate birds, HB?

Back
Top Bottom