• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

When you break it down: is atheism unappealing?

rousseau

Contributor
I'm going to preface this thread with the fact that these comments aren't an attack on atheism. Whenever something looking like a critique of atheism is presented at this forum, we seem to get a few defensive responses. So to be clear this thread isn't intended to promote religiosity by any means. It's just a quick thought experiment for your consideration.

A few months ago I was reading a title called The Sociobiological Imagination which discussed, in part, why the field of Sociology was hesitant to integrate hard evolutionary theory into it's own theories. I found the answer interesting, and I think it is very relevant to why religiosity survives in our world:

The argument went something like this:

Acceptance of evolutionary theory
  • The world and your life is intrinsically meaningless other than what you assign to it
  • Anything negative that happens to you is primarily random and indifferent
  • Your well-being is entirely up to you, and if you fail it's because you failed / aren't skilled enough
  • When you die you will cease to exist. When your friends die they will cease to exist
Belief in God
  • Everything you see and feel was designed / has purpose
  • Anything negative that happens to you happened for a reason and can be justified
  • Your well-being is in someone else's hands, and failure is ok
  • You'll never lose your life or friends and family
Although a little more nuanced, that was it in a nutshell. Between the two worldviews it's obvious which one would appeal to more people. So as Atheists, we're all obviously invested in the lack of God because it appeals to us, but when you break the problem down to it's basic elements we're trying to sell the religious a bit of a shithole. Their religion shields them from what is a cruel and indifferent world, they do not want to accept materialism because it isn't much of a cakewalk.

There IS a flipside, at least IME.
If there is a God, evolution is that God's greatest creation. The sheer power and elegance of the process leaves me wonderstruck, even as its simplicity humbles me.
It was nice being in bed this morning. I wanted to stay there with the cat purring on my legs, but the horse needed to be fed. I was glad I got up when I went to see him; the greeting was warm and pleasant. Amazing how such diverse species can exist in physical and emotional symbiosis. My apologies to someone else's God, if He feels left out. But tough shit.

There IS a flipside, at least IME.
If there is a God, evolution is that God's greatest creation. The sheer power and elegance of the process leaves me wonderstruck, even as its simplicity humbles me.
It was nice being in bed this morning. I wanted to stay there with the cat purring on my legs, but the horse needed to be fed. I was glad I got up when I went to see him; the greeting was warm and pleasant. Amazing how such diverse species can exist in physical and emotional symbiosis. My apologies to someone else's God, if He feels left out. But tough shit.

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.

This line felt relevant.

I absolutely love the materialist worldview, but also expect a long, secure, and prosperous life.

My stock response is atheism is not monolithic in what atheists do believe.

Religion is not the only path to finding meaning.

Organized atheism provides community and meaning just like organized religion.

I think when it comes to evolution, sociology, and culture it can open a can of worms of political correctness.

Why does it matter what's appealing? What's important, if your goal is to improve your life and those of your family and friends, is to not be wildly wrong about how to achieve your goal.

If you are wildly wrong, then you could waste your one and only life preparing for an afterlife that doesn't exist. That would be a total disaster.

It would be really lovely if someone were looking out for me, helping me through the bad times and making sure that those bad times were few and far between. But wishing won't make it so.

Atheists might well see that the world sucks, and that could be depressing. But the first step to a solution is to admit that there's a problem.

Simply saying "The world doesn't suck, it's all a oerfect and benevolent plan, and I just haven't the ability to understand how useful and important this suckiness is to the bigger picture" might make you feel a teeny bit less awful, but it not only fixes nothing, it actively entrenches whatever was making life suck to begin with, because it discourages any attempt to change anything.

Why does it matter what's appealing? What's important, if your goal is to improve your life and those of your family and friends, is to not be wildly wrong about how to achieve your goal.

If you are wildly wrong, then you could waste your one and only life preparing for an afterlife that doesn't exist. That would be a total disaster.

It would be really lovely if someone were looking out for me, helping me through the bad times and making sure that those bad times were few and far between. But wishing won't make it so.

Atheists might well see that the world sucks, and that could be depressing. But the first step to a solution is to admit that there's a problem.

Simply saying "The world doesn't suck, it's all a oerfect and benevolent plan, and I just haven't the ability to understand how useful and important this suckiness is to the bigger picture" might make you feel a teeny bit less awful, but it not only fixes nothing, it actively entrenches whatever was making life suck to begin with, because it discourages any attempt to change anything.

If your goal is to improve your life, do you think faith might sometimes provide the resilience and optimism in the face of adversity, so one can persevere in tackling their real problems?

If your goal is to improve your life, do you think faith might sometimes provide the resilience and optimism in the face of adversity, so one can persevere in tackling their real problems?
Me?

No.

But that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Absolutely. I call that pretending, suspending disbelief or belief, whichever fits. It takes many forms but pretending is escapism and we know it can have seriously great benefits. Watch a movie where the monster bad guys get theirs in the end. It's a typical movie plot, create a monster then slay the monster, sometimes violently and brutally and with great satisfaction. But it's just a movie.

Religion is escapism for many people. Maybe they know it and maybe they don't.

I think when it comes to evolution, sociology, and culture it can open a can of worms of political correctness.

No disagreement there. The argument wasn't so much that Atheism is never appealing, or valueless in of itself. It was that it's internal logic isn't appealing to many people, which is why we see so many people gravitate to religious answers.

If someone does find atheism appealing, that's fine.

No disagreement there. The argument wasn't so much that Atheism is never appealing, or valueless in of itself. It was that it's internal logic isn't appealing to many people, which is why we see so many people gravitate to religious answers.

That is odd. It seems to assume that atheism is some sort of organized belief system like Christianity or Hinduism. Atheism is not a belief system. Atheism is just the lack of belief in gods. Like my lack of belief in the Loch Ness monster, the lack of belief does not guide my reasoning but is one result of reasoning.

That is odd. It seems to assume that atheism is some sort of organized belief system like Christianity or Hinduism. Atheism is not a belief system. Atheism is just the lack of belief in gods. Like my lack of belief in the Loch Ness monster, the lack of belief does not guide my reasoning but is one result of reasoning.

Not an organized belief system, but it typically does come with a cascade of corollaries.

Atheism is a lack of belief in god claims. It is statement of fact about our personal reality. It is not meant to be appealing or bring comfort or serve as a guide to life. Any more than gravity or the germ theory of disease or the water heater in your home is meant to do any of those things. It is inappropriate to attribute any meaning or characteristics to atheism other than a statement of skepticism regarding certain claims.

If you want to find meaning, go read a book, take a class on a subject you would like to learn more about, listen to music, make friends and have discussions with them. Because atheism is not a replacement for any of those things.

Not an organized belief system, but it typically does come with a cascade of corollaries.
Really? What corollaries? I can think of none other than an absence of belief in claims of divine actions. It could be correctly said that not believing in miracles would lead one to different conclusions than someone who relied on miracles to explain reality... but that is very different than 'corollaries'.

Between the two worldviews it's obvious which one would appeal to more people. So as Atheists, we're all obviously invested in the lack of God because it appeals to us,
I'm an atheist because I see no good reason to believe that gods exist. Atheism does not appeal to me, any more than my lack of belief in the tooth fairy appeals to me. I am not invested in my skepticism, it is simply how I think. If convincing evidence were provided to demonstrate that gods exist, I would likely change my mind.

but when you break the problem down to it's basic elements we're trying to sell the religious a bit of a shithole. Their religion shields them from what is a cruel and indifferent world, they do not want to accept materialism because it isn't much of a cakewalk.
I prefer to know the truth. Whether that truth makes me feel good or not. The world can be cruel and indifferent if you see it that way. I don't. I see the world as full of wonder, and I am grateful that I have the opportunity to live in it and experience it and learn more about it.

Atheism is a lack of belief in god claims. It is statement of fact about our personal reality. It is not meant to be appealing or bring comfort or serve as a guide to life. Any more than gravity or the germ theory of disease or the water heater in your home is meant to do any of those things. It is inappropriate to attribute any meaning or characteristics to atheism other than a statement of skepticism regarding certain claims.

If you want to find meaning, go read a book, take a class on a subject you would like to learn more about, listen to music, make friends and have discussions with them. Because atheism is not a replacement for any of those things.

Really? What corollaries? I can think of none other than an absence of belief in claims of divine actions. It could be correctly said that not believing in miracles would lead one to different conclusions than someone who relied on miracles to explain reality... but that is very different than 'corollaries'.

From a religious perspective, you can't dissociate atheism from materialism and science, which also aren't an ontology in of themselves, but represent a very different way of viewing the world. I used the word 'atheism' in the thread title, but perhaps I should have used the word 'materialism'. To the religious, it's a package deal that many don't want to accept.

You can call these things neutral 'facts', but to many people they clearly have very real connotations and implications.

From a religious perspective, you can't dissociate atheism from materialism and science, which also aren't an ontology in of themselves, but represent a very different way of viewing the world. I used the word 'atheism' in the thread title, but perhaps I should have used the word 'materialism'. To the religious, it's a package deal that many don't want to accept.

You can call these things neutral 'facts', but to many people they clearly have very real connotations and implications.
Well, one of my hopes in taking a slightly more critical-rather-than-skeptical materialist view of these discussions is to see if there are materialist terms that say the same things as religious terms, but allow the materialist to tease out the conflations and the supernatural claims and to treat the real mechanisms and processes being recognized like mature, rational, and oftentimes cleverly engineering, adults.

As much as I talk about what would be allowed, likely, or unimportant in the simulation case I very much do my best to also see material mechanisms behind the "supernatural" because I find the simulation case implausible in the absence of solid evidence.

Even so, we can recognize that we will be survived of our memories by others. In their stories and minds, we will be in some heaven or hell, their empathetic version of us.

This will in turn influence how our stories are told (or are forgotten) by those who survive us, and whether empathy towards our lives creates in others an empathetic reproduction of some part of ourselves in them, but either as a villain to oppose, or as some thing to emulate unto replication, or with any other useful intent.

It pays in fact to see replication and reproduction as more than a simple act of biological division: the described process can happen across widely disparate people. I do not expect that this act of empathetic replication must even terminate across boundaries of species or even boundaries of whole life processes. Rather, I expect empathetic reproduction is entirely possible by Silicon based minds of carbon chemistries, and visa versa.

To lack empathy is then to shut oneself off from this process with relation to those one lacks empathy for. It is to deny not just community but immortality of thought forms through empathetic reproduction.

Even so, some of that empathy places the learned thought-form in a very confined place where it gets no agency. Regardless of what you want to call it, the thought of it is rather hell-like.

So, there's also that.

So there are definitely reasons, if only for empathy towards the memory of you in others, and the effects those memories have and the elements of your personality they will retain, that you live a decent life: so that people will want to be like you, rather than use you as an example of who not to be like or of behavior they only learned the model of which as an idea to defeat.

This is, to me, a suitable reason to not be a bastard even if my immediate experience merely ends at my death.

Even so, it also stands out as a reason to tell a story, write a book, and perhaps allow some of my thought forms to be reborn not as a villain but as a person to emulate.

But moreover, regardless of how you judge the above, it is apparent to me that this is not exactly how the religious understand the concepts of afterlife. I would rather expect some dim or perhaps clear but later or even immediately corrupted understanding of that to have metamorphosed into the "supernatural" religious concepts that are in the common understanding, a truth viewed only through a dim and clouded lens.

The problem here is that when you can convince people that heaven and the afterlife isn't a metaphorical understanding for the memories and empathetic reproductions of your thought-forms among the living but a place some material piece of you detaches from your body, and transitions to through some manner of spatial transit or a host universe reproduction in perfect form then, you can convince people to do some crazy shit like sacrifice the whole planet to a doomsday cult's desire for an apocalypse.

I would much rather use some "spiritual" language, but elucidate the material explanation in the margins, footnotes, or even the fore-matter.

perhaps I should have used the word 'materialism'
Or naturalism maybe? Some naturalists have embraced "spirituality" in the sense of making a point of reveling in nature's wonder. They don't treat the human response to "the facts" as a side-note that gets mentioned in passing on rare occasion, like you're likely to see in the context of atheists telling about science.

If either materialism or naturalism are a hard sell, maybe it's the focus on how it's not religion. IOW, in a context like the one here, there'll be an emphasis on what's NOT there in nature. So the effect of this repeated emphasis makes it look like nature's a lot of lack.

(Or all the science lectures make nature, and atheists, seem boring.)

Last edited:

Religious peoples misconceptions of what atheism is, is a very different discussion than what atheists actually are.

perhaps I should have used the word 'materialism'
Or naturalism maybe? Some naturalists have embraced "spirituality" in the sense of making a point of reveling in nature's wonder. They don't treat the human response to "the facts" as a side-note that gets mentioned in passing on rare occasion, like you're likely to see in the context of atheists telling about science.

If either materialism or naturalism are a hard sell, maybe it's the focus on how it's not religion. IOW, in a context like the one here, there'll be an emphasis on what's NOT there in nature. So the effect of this repeated emphasis makes it look like nature's a lot of lack.

(Or all the science lectures make nature, and atheists, seem boring.)

I've half-seriously thought about writing a book on naturalistic spirituality, but then I'd end up wasting a few years of my life, and nobody would read it.

Maybe the issue is that charismatic spiritual leaders are usually nuts.

Back
Top Bottom