• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Where is Bernie Goetz when you need him?

IIRC, the dispatcher was disciplined for not passing that info along.

You recall correctly.

Passing along information like that is a requirement of the dispatcher's job. Failing to pass along information like that is grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.

To get back on topic, a second BART robber has been arrested.
Teen suspect in BART train takeover arrested after chase
These arrests are coming along very slowly, and the first suspect they arrested was apparently released for some unknown reason. This second robber was only arrested because he was involved in another robbery. He also led police on a chase with a stolen car.
Given his repeat offender status, I hope they try this one as an adult.
On a more general note ...
BART robberies climb 45% over last year, figures show
This is a problem that goes well beyond this one incident (or "prank" as crime apologists on here call it)

or, the call when into the cops indicating it wa sa toy gun and the kid was just being a nuisance with it.
or, the gun was not illegally modified so that it appeared like a real gun (bright orange tip in place and clearly visible).
or, maybe those cops were just better trained... but there are a lot of possibilities besides the race or geography of those involved.

The caller didn't know it was a toy, just suspected it. Information like that isn't going to be passed along to the cops.
She was suspended! We live in the real world, not your Bubble.

The caller didn't know it was a toy, just suspected it. Information like that isn't going to be passed along to the cops.
She was suspended! We live in the real world, not your Bubble.

LP already hand waved this away with another baseless assertion earlier "They throw people out for no reason just as PR moves!"

Yes, why hobble armed police officers with relevant information? Completely unnecessary when dealing with blacks. Just like how unnecessary it is to select officers who are emotionally stable or adequately trained. Or of sound mind and judgement. What's another dead black kid?

No--the issue is speculation vs apparently solid information. They try to pass on only the facts. The caller had no evidence the gun was fake.

Yes, why hobble armed police officers with relevant information? Completely unnecessary when dealing with blacks. Just like how unnecessary it is to select officers who are emotionally stable or adequately trained. Or of sound mind and judgement. What's another dead black kid?

No--the issue is speculation vs apparently solid information. They try to pass on only the facts. The caller had no evidence the gun was fake.

Earth to Loren: Please be reminded that the dispatcher in fact did not do her job properly and was suspended for it.

The fact that the dispatcher failed to pass on was that the caller thought the 'gun' was a toy. Not the actual status of whatever the 12 year old had in his hand: what the caller said.

You are so caught up on your own prejudiced assumptions about the whole case that you are unable to actually acquaint yourself with the facts of what happened leading up to the shooting of an unarmed child by police officers who did not even take the time to discover if they had driven up on the right 'suspect,' much less whether the 'suspect' was armed. Again, no shots fired until the police fired them. Video showed multiple people passing right on by Tamir Rice without displaying a tiny bit of fear or concern because they saw him as a child playing with a toy.

Earth to Loren: Please be reminded that the dispatcher in fact did not do her job properly and was suspended for it.

The fact that the dispatcher failed to pass on was that the caller thought the 'gun' was a toy. Not the actual status of whatever the 12 year old had in his hand: what the caller said.

You are so caught up on your own prejudiced assumptions about the whole case that you are unable to actually acquaint yourself with the facts of what happened leading up to the shooting of an unarmed child by police officers who did not even take the time to discover if they had driven up on the right 'suspect,' much less whether the 'suspect' was armed. Again, no shots fired until the police fired them. Video showed multiple people passing right on by Tamir Rice without displaying a tiny bit of fear or concern because they saw him as a child playing with a toy.
I was talking to a person in our office about this case and they thought the kid deserved it, then I explained a few things, like the officers arriving like a bull, blurting incomprehensible instructions from their bullhorn, the kid didn't actually brandish anything (if you see the video). Then take into context what the kid is thinking. He knows he doesn't have a gun. He knows pulling out a fake gun on a police officer is a real dumb idea. Then add in the bonus, the heartless officers didn't attend to him while he was left there bleeding to death. And finally, the officer that fired was let go by the Independence police for lacking maturity to be an officer.

The person looked more into it and changed their mind. I will say, the kid was dumb for waving around a fake gun in a park (while the police weren't there), but jebus! How many white and black kids have both played with fake guns?

As a side note, now this is officially history, it doesn't get reported anymore. But Cleveland recently said the shooting was officially by the book. They are still looking into the 911 dispatcher some more. She was suspended 8 days already.

The caller had no evidence that gun was real. So, according to your standards, the dispatcher should have not said anything about a gun.

or, the call when into the cops indicating it wa sa toy gun and the kid was just being a nuisance with it.
or, the gun was not illegally modified so that it appeared like a real gun (bright orange tip in place and clearly visible).
or, maybe those cops were just better trained... but there are a lot of possibilities besides the race or geography of those involved.
This is the second time you have injected racism in to my post when I didn't even suggest such a thing. All I stated was that the cop was unqualified to be a cop based on another Police Dept's conclusion about him. The race of the victim and shooter was not even mentioned in my post. So please stop with that.

I wasn't attributing racism to you... I was attributing racism to the police. I thought (and after a quick look again, know) that was quite clear.

Let me ask you a question: Let's (Purely for the sake of argument) assume that the gun was real. So what? How do the officers know the guy isn't considering suicide? Does that not even cross your mind for a second? Maybe he was waiting for someone to kill him, but the police got their first in which case, shooting him is unnecessary. Maybe he found it and is trying to give it back to whomever it belongs to. Unlikely? Maybe. But you don't know that for sure.

Point being, there's no reason for the cops to shoot first and ask questions later. At all. Period. Full stop. End of sentence.

I didn't present those three alternative interpretations as a conclusive full set of all possibilities... why would you think so? Sure, we can add your examples to that list.. which would be an infinitely long one if the intent is to capture the whole universe of possibilities. The (obvious) point is that there is more than one possible explanation.. so three is adequate for that point, no?

Let me ask you a question: Let's (Purely for the sake of argument) assume that the gun was real. So what? How do the officers know the guy isn't considering suicide? Does that not even cross your mind for a second? Maybe he was waiting for someone to kill him, but the police got their first in which case, shooting him is unnecessary. Maybe he found it and is trying to give it back to whomever it belongs to. Unlikely? Maybe. But you don't know that for sure.

Point being, there's no reason for the cops to shoot first and ask questions later. At all. Period. Full stop. End of sentence.

I didn't present those three alternative interpretations as a conclusive full set of all possibilities... why would you think so? Sure, we can add your examples to that list.. which would be an infinitely long one if the intent is to capture the whole universe of possibilities. The (obvious) point is that there is more than one possible explanation.. so three is adequate for that point, no?

Then I misunderstood you. Sorry.

The caller had no evidence that gun was real. So, according to your standards, the dispatcher should have not said anything about a gun.

Exactly. The report to the police should have been (by Loren's standards) "Kid playing in the park" and that's it

This is pretty amusing. They write a public memo that says they're not going to show the video because it shows a bunch of black kids robbing BART, and they don't want to promote stereotypes. Hasn't your memo done exactly that? :confused2:

This is pretty amusing. They write a public memo that says they're not going to show the video because it shows a bunch of black kids robbing BART, and they don't want to promote stereotypes. Hasn't your memo done exactly that? :confused2:

Political correctness is the war on noticing.

Back
Top Bottom