• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Where is evolution taking us?

rousseau

Contributor
Life evolves therefore life on earth is still evolving. So that raises a few questions:

1) In what ways are humans now evolving?
2) In what ways do you think humans are going to evolve?
3) In what ways will other life on earth evolve?

I heard an interesting theory via Dawkins in The Ancestor's Tale where he predicted that eventually humans go extinct, and rodents become the predominant line on earth, with all types of lines of rodents.

I like the time-travel cartoon where future humans are much the same as us, but with a device in their penis to puncture holes in condoms.

We will continue to evolve to adapt to diseases. Other than diseases, sexual selection is the only thing selecting alleles so far as I know.

I read a sci-fi short story quite a while ago that addressed this question. In this story human intelligence had progressively declined to the point that most of the human race were basically idiots only capable of menial tasks, eating, and reproducing. The small percentage of humans still mentally astute worked at producing and distributing food and maintaining the cities to provide food and shelter for the rest. I took the story as a comment that we have reached the point that natural selection no longer weeds out the stupid, weak, and infirm.

I read a sci-fi short story quite a while ago that addressed this question. In this story human intelligence had progressively declined to the point that most of the human race were basically idiots only capable of eating and reproducing. The small percentage of humans still mentally astute worked at producing and distributing food and maintaining the cities to provide food and shelter for the rest. I took the story as a comment that we have reached the point that natural selection no longer weeds out the stupid, weak, and infirm.

What's more is that being capable of having kids but deciding not to is usually a product of intelligence. So intelligent people are more likely to forgo children by choice, meaning intelligence in some cases is likely to be selected against.

Those being born are usually born to parents who don't see outside of the evolutionary matrix, making it infinitely likely that the trend continues.

I took the story as a comment that we have reached the point that natural selection no longer weeds out the stupid, weak, and infirm.
What's more is that being capable of having kids but deciding not to is usually a product of intelligence.
Well, if we're talking about Marching Morons, there was also the element of two isolated gene pools. The intelligentsia, when they did choose to breed, bred with the intelligentsia, breeding for intelligence. The rest of the 98% of the race bred with anyone except those who could spell evolution the same way twice in a row. So the two groups evolved in opoposite directions.

Humans no longer have to fight (as hard) for the reproduction of their genes. I would argue that any organism that evolves self-consciousness will eventually find itself in a similar situation. What that means is anyone's guess, but presumably we may be in the middle of stretch that doesn't lend itself to big phenotypic changes being fixed in the population.

Evolution is taking us nowhere right now since we as a species overall have accesses to more resources than we need provided by our discoveries and inventions. Ultimately, the environment will determine wither we goeth. From my modest viewpoint I see us driving ourselves extinct primarily by inventing products that kill necessary species within us for survival. We may have already done that to ourselves.

Evolution is taking us nowhere right now
That can't be true, for a given value of 'evolution.'
Every time medical advances change a genetic trait from lethal to an inconvenience, it's no longer selected against and the frequency of that DNA trait is going to increase in following generations.

I read a sci-fi short story quite a while ago that addressed this question. In this story human intelligence had progressively declined to the point that most of the human race were basically idiots only capable of menial tasks, eating, and reproducing. The small percentage of humans still mentally astute worked at producing and distributing food and maintaining the cities to provide food and shelter for the rest. I took the story as a comment that we have reached the point that natural selection no longer weeds out the stupid, weak, and infirm.

So you're going to answer a science question with... science fiction? And science fiction that sounds like a libertarian fantasy at that?

Yeesh.

That can't be true, for a given value of 'evolution.'
Every time medical advances change a genetic trait from lethal to an inconvenience, it's no longer selected against and the frequency of that DNA trait is going to increase in following generations.

I agree with your analysis, but, that approach can't give us a clue as to where evolution is taking us.

Sometimes evolution wanders. Sometimes significant changes in the product of evolution takes us/it somewhere. Overall, in a sense that better and more capable is better, evolution is taking us toward more complicated more capable outcomes. Humans as what appears to be the ultimate product of evolution on hearth has developed a species that for the moment is overall free from wont, from environmental limitations of essential resources. so I say we are currently going nowhere.

Within that thread I believe evolution will wind up taking us to extinction by way of our developing techniques for eliminating necessary on-board species from our genosphere.

So you're going to answer a science question with... science fiction? And science fiction that sounds like a libertarian fantasy at that?

Yeesh.

If this outcome were remotely plausible, it would imply that, right now, Homo Sapiens would be spending most of their brain-power and intelligence on providing for teeming cities of Pan Troglodytes. In reality, Humans are numbered in their billions, while Chimpanzees are endangered.

A putative future speciation event, with selection both for and against intelligence, would presumably produce an intelligent post-human animal that was as selfish and disinterested in the less intelligent post-human species as we are disinterested in the fate of the other apes. If the less intelligent ones don't like that, their revolution will no doubt be as effective as a revolution of Chimpanzees with rocks would be against our current, well armed, Human race. Being able to tear a man in half with your bare hands does you know good if you are gunned down from a kilometre away. But all of this is fantasy - it might make a good parable, but it isn't a realistic prospect for our future.

More plausibly, given that gene mixing in current human populations is higher than ever (due to the availability of rapid transport, which reduces geographic separation); and given that there seems to be some barrier to further increases in intelligence, through freedom of reproductive choice, and the greater uptake of that freedom by the intelligent, there may be little increase in intelligence beyond our current level. Equally, given the disadvantages inherent in reduced intelligence in a technological world, there is little pressure for reduced intelligence. An equlibrium somewhere around the status quo for intelligence seems fairly likely. Large movements in either direction are, perhaps, less favoured.

On the other hand, while not having kids is an intelligent choice today, it would not necessarily be so in a world with a smaller population - and population is likely to fall in the next few centuries, once it stabilises in the middle of this one. The invention of reliable, safe and effective contraception in our generation has totally changed the game; it is far too soon to say how evolution will be affected by this, but anything that has a dramatic effect on reproduction will surely have an impact if it is sustained for the long term. In ten thousand years, our descendants may well be quite different from what we are today, simply because of the invention of the contraceptive pill. How those differences will manifest can only be speculation at this early stage.

We are in the first few generations of the first species on the planet to have intellectual, rather than hormonal or emotional, control of our reproduction.

tumblr_m54o725f0W1r24edto2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m54o725f0W1r24edto10_r3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m54o725f0W1r24edto12_r3_1280.jpg

Life evolves therefore life on earth is still evolving. So that raises a few questions:

Individual populations are evolving in different ways depending on their environment, including other human beings nearby.

If a behavior "works" in the sense of having children who have children all those genes for that behavior are favored. Personal reproduction is sometimes not possible. In those cases genes for caring for the tribes children -- brothers, sisters, cousins, nephews, nieces -- are favored.
Toward just good enough. Toward the minimum necessary to have children who have children in the then-current physical and social environment.
That depends on what catastrophic environmental change comes next. A local environmental change which nevertheless covers all of a given species' range may severely reduce a species' population. Sometimes all the way.

If it is a new Ice Age then those whose offspring survive better in the cold will be favored.
If a Hot Age then those those whose offspring survive better in the heat will be favored.

Whatever survives will be adapted to then-current conditions. If their species did not have sufficient variability so that there were survivors of their kind in the local environment they went extinct there. For 99% of the species that was the case.

That depends entirely on what kind of evolution you are asking about. Unlike pretty much every other critter out there, our use of tool infrastructure enables us to adapt individually and laterally. In that way, if idiots manage to reproduce without respect to whether it is a good idea, we can do something about that: either force higher quality offspring onto them, prevent access to resources for non-constructive humans, or leaving the idiocracy enough rope to hang itself while the rest of us GTFO, to come back when the coast is clear.

The difference in performance between mentally astute and the stupid, weak and infirm is actually a small degree. When we consider how many of Europe's greatest minds never returned from a WW1 battlefield, it appears that brilliance was not much of an advantage.

Evolution is good at forming a body to better adapt to it's environment, or to be able to live in varied environments. It's not much good at choosing talented painters or musicians.

Yes and no. *IF* the current situation continues for long enough this would happen. (Think H. G. Wells, The Time Machine.) However, it won't happen. Our current tech level is not sustainable, either we advance to one that is or we collapse. If we advance I can't imagine it not also including the tech to modify genetics--we won't be relying on chance for genetics anymore. If we don't advance we collapse and the morons can no longer survive.

Originally posted by rousseau:

Humans have evolved to the point where we have become an influence on the process of evolution itself by means of our numbers, our activities and our interventions.

We will continue to adapt to an accelerating rate of change, in part the result of our own curiosity and interventions, as well as cyclical changes that we do not yet fully comprehend all of the mechanisms behind.

Other species shall likewise have to adapt to accelerated changes wrought by nature as well as loss of habitat as a result of human activity. The rate of extinctions of species will not abate as we are destroying life at a level that we do not even deign to notice yet these organisms support all. Many animals farmed for food may also lose out in the competition for resources while species which are amenable to our bidding and vanity will continue to thrive as substitute extended family for many.

I think that humanity will merge with technology at some point in the future (if technology doesn't take over).

Back
Top Bottom