• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

I have a theory that the glowing fruit, and the visions of ancestors is the result of the Soul Stone being somewhere in the area. That would explain why Thanos is attacking Wakanda in the Avengers trailer.

Uh, vibranium?

Many alien technologies are dependent on vibranium. If aliens attack Wakanda, it's usually because they're after the vibranium.

Further, this is Thanos we're talking about. He could be attacking Wakanda simply because they're the most technologically advanced and therefore the greatest threat from a tactical perspective.

You don't really need a special reason for Thanos to attack Wakanda. I know everyone is concerned about the Soul stone, but I'm sure it will turn up eventually.

I got from the previews that Thanos already has the soul stone. When he comes through that portal, he's got two of them on his gauntlet - the space stone he gets from Loki earlier in the trailer and one other one.

Black Panther 3/10

I like the soundtrack. There wasn't a lot of imagination inspiring orchestra music. That would have been too cliché for this racially empowering movie. Gangsta rap was a good choice to use instead, because it has a healthy message for the millions of little panthers prowling around out there. Gangsta rap will help the little cubs learn how to treat women, respect authority and sell dangerous drugs responsibly. Gangsta rap apparently represents the entire black race now, so the long awaited black superhero (who gained his powers by ingesting a drug) deserves gangsta rap theme music.

Phuza i-Lean, smokin', you know poppin' Xanax
Ngiphaphazeke ngathi i-10 nil
You’re soul-searchin' if you’re lookin' for me
Somebody ngiph' indwangu netissue, I’m drippin'

Indeed. Kids shouldn't have too much trouble memorizing those lyrics. Outside, cocaine white, body look like Gentiles (Gentiles). Welcome to Wakanda. Yep, welcome to Wakanda, where black people can't just consume a normal superhero. They have to swallow ludicrously corrupt music and humiliating plots along with them. I feel pretty bad for the thousands of proud black people wearing traditional African garb, waiting to go in and see this movie. Their hearts must sink, when they have to discipline their children for singing the theme song, if they're responsible enough to do so. Oh the disappointment they must feel, when they analyze what is supposed to be a plot.

Black people are primitive and greedy of course, so one of the tribes in Wakanda is a gorilla-like people. They make gorilla sounds, beat their chests and act generally primitive and scary. Because black people totally want to be seen like that. The villain is a member of Panther's own community, looking to exploit one of the local resources and sell guns. Nice!

I have a theory that the glowing fruit, and the visions of ancestors is the result of the Soul Stone being somewhere in the area. That would explain why Thanos is attacking Wakanda in the Avengers trailer.

Uh, vibranium?

Many alien technologies are dependent on vibranium. If aliens attack Wakanda, it's usually because they're after the vibranium.

Further, this is Thanos we're talking about. He could be attacking Wakanda simply because they're the most technologically advanced and therefore the greatest threat from a tactical perspective.

You don't really need a special reason for Thanos to attack Wakanda. I know everyone is concerned about the Soul stone, but I'm sure it will turn up eventually.

I got from the previews that Thanos already has the soul stone. When he comes through that portal, he's got two of them on his gauntlet - the space stone he gets from Loki earlier in the trailer and one other one.
The other one seems to be the purple power stone, i.e. the Orb from Guardians of the Galaxy. Apparently Thanos got it back from Nova Corps offscreen somehow? Or maybe that's the seque they'll use to get Guardians to Earth in Infinity War.

The other one seems to be the purple power stone, i.e. the Orb from Guardians of the Galaxy. Apparently Thanos got it back from Nova Corps offscreen somehow? Or maybe that's the seque they'll use to get Guardians to Earth in Infinity War.

Good point. I forgot that one isn't on Earth and he'll need to go and pick it up from somewhere on the way. I also didn't notice the colour.

If he got that one, though, wouldn't it be quicker to go over to the Collector's place and pick up the red one on the way rather than coming all the way to Earth first? Then again, if he has the space stone then everywhere in the universe is just as close to him as every other place so it doesn't particularly matter.

Good point. I forgot that one isn't on Earth and he'll need to go and pick it up from somewhere on the way. I also didn't notice the colour.

If he got that one, though, wouldn't it be quicker to go over to the Collector's place and pick up the red one on the way rather than coming all the way to Earth first? Then again, if he has the space stone then everywhere in the universe is just as close to him as every other place so it doesn't particularly matter.

Does he know the collector has the red one?

Black Panther 3/10

I like the soundtrack. There wasn't a lot of imagination inspiring orchestra music. That would have been too cliché for this racially empowering movie. Gangsta rap was a good choice to use instead, because it has a healthy message for the millions of little panthers prowling around out there. Gangsta rap will help the little cubs learn how to treat women, respect authority and sell dangerous drugs responsibly. Gangsta rap apparently represents the entire black race now, so the long awaited black superhero (who gained his powers by ingesting a drug) deserves gangsta rap theme music.

Phuza i-Lean, smokin', you know poppin' Xanax
Ngiphaphazeke ngathi i-10 nil
You’re soul-searchin' if you’re lookin' for me
Somebody ngiph' indwangu netissue, I’m drippin'

Indeed. Kids shouldn't have too much trouble memorizing those lyrics. Outside, cocaine white, body look like Gentiles (Gentiles). Welcome to Wakanda. Yep, welcome to Wakanda, where black people can't just consume a normal superhero. They have to swallow ludicrously corrupt music and humiliating plots along with them. I feel pretty bad for the thousands of proud black people wearing traditional African garb, waiting to go in and see this movie. Their hearts must sink, when they have to discipline their children for singing the theme song, if they're responsible enough to do so. Oh the disappointment they must feel, when they analyze what is supposed to be a plot.

Black people are primitive and greedy of course, so one of the tribes in Wakanda is a gorilla-like people. They make gorilla sounds, beat their chests and act generally primitive and scary. Because black people totally want to be seen like that. The villain is a member of Panther's own community, looking to exploit one of the local resources and sell guns. Nice!

Aw, did you get triggered because one fucking movie didn't have white male protagonists?

Just imagine how you would feel if none of the movies had white male protagonists.

Do you need a safe space? Or perhaps a box of tissues? You seem pretty shook up and emotional.

Just imagine how you would feel if none of the movies had white male protagonists.

Just imagine how black people would feel if just one hero in black entertainment wasn't severely insulting to their race.

Do you need a safe space? Or perhaps a box of tissues? You seem pretty shook up and emotional.

Just another instance of the entertainment machine humiliating blacks and making things harder for them. No need to get emotional, because I am white. Black people are doomed and you seem to think I dislike them when I point out the fact. Typical.

The depthlessness of these people... they're clapping hands and saying yay when black people get some attention, when the attention is negative in many, many ways. People are stuck on what the movie is supposed to mean for black people and they aren't seeing what it Inexplicably says about them. The fact that a movie could "do" something for a race is insulting in itself. And a superhero movie at that. If people can't see it, maybe they deserve it.

Last edited:

Just imagine how black people would feel if just one hero in black entertainment wasn't severely insulting to their race.

Just another instance of the entertainment machine humiliating blacks and making things harder for them. No need to get emotional, because I am white. Black people are doomed and you seem to think I dislike them when I point out the fact. Typical.

Oh do tell us what you think would have made this movie better for "those people." I'm sure this will be fascinating.

It should be obvious what should have been left out. How about no gorilla tribe? Would the plot collapse without that part? What about robbing (drugs) from your own people? Selling guns? How about naming the first black superhero something other than the title of a violent revolutionary group that everyone hates? SO much disgusting stuff but the biggie, the thing you should be most upset about... the gangsta rap. Look up the lyrical content of the score's tracklist. Not good, Underseer.

I like the Black Panthers. Any separatist group is good by me, just let us have our own too.

For a good black superhero movie, there's always the Blade trilogy. "Some motherfuckers always trying to skate uphill".

It should be obvious what should have been left out. How about no gorilla tribe? Would the plot collapse without that part? What about robbing (drugs) from your own people? Selling guns? How about naming the first black superhero something other than the title of a violent revolutionary group that everyone hates? SO much disgusting stuff but the biggie, the thing you should be most upset about... the gangsta rap. Look up the lyrical content of the score's tracklist. Not good, Underseer.

There is no gorilla tribe. They changed it to the mountain tribe precisely because of the negative implications.

There was no drug deals. I don't even know where you're getting that from.

As for the guns, this was not what you make it out to be. They were talking about getting technically superior weapons into the hands of the oppressed to end oppression, and it was the villain trying to do that.

I think you just automatically associate gorillas and drugs and gun dealers with people of African descent. What movie did you even watch?

I just watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

I suspect whoever wrote that had met Jo. There is a VERY fierce child protection officer.

Lovely variation on the buddy movie. 8

I suspect whoever wrote that had met Jo. There is a VERY fierce child protection officer.

I saw that movie a few months back. It really is a great little film. I'm really trying hard to not saying something like, "The world would be a little bit better of a place if people watched movies like that the way they do Superhero flicks." Huh, I guess I just did.

black panther: 5/10

i'll admit that my view of this movie is probably somewhat tinted by the same gap between expectation and reality that tainted my view of wonder woman, but thankfully while wonder woman is a dumpster fire steaming pile of shit of a movie, black panther is simply a forgettably middle-tier marvel film, along with the likes of ant-man or dr. strange: it wasn't awful, because marvel doesn't seem to make bad movies, but the script was deeply flawed in ways that kept me distanced from just going along with the movie and enjoying it, and the end result was a passably "meh" film.

now granted i know i have a habit of reflexively hating on anything which the pop cultural zeitgeist heralds as amazing if i don't particularly love it, so i'm probably being a bit more down on it than i should be, but there were so many glaringly stupid issues with the screenplay that it just really bogged the whole thing down for me.
the diversity (both racial and gender) and representation (again both racial and gender) were cool to see on screen and well integrated (ie it was just... a movie with not-all-white and not-all-male characters, done well, without calling attention to itself) and that was definitely cool to see, but the plot certainly failed to hold up its end of things which is quite a shame.

Very good movie. Even an enjoyable trailer advising viewers to turn off their mobile phones. Heh-heh... :D
Guess what movie I was watching when mine went off. :eek:

black panther: 5/10

i'll admit that my view of this movie is probably somewhat tinted by the same gap between expectation and reality that tainted my view of wonder woman, but thankfully while wonder woman is a dumpster fire steaming pile of shit of a movie, black panther is simply a forgettably middle-tier marvel film, along with the likes of ant-man or dr. strange: it wasn't awful, because marvel doesn't seem to make bad movies, but the script was deeply flawed in ways that kept me distanced from just going along with the movie and enjoying it, and the end result was a passably "meh" film.

now granted i know i have a habit of reflexively hating on anything which the pop cultural zeitgeist heralds as amazing if i don't particularly love it, so i'm probably being a bit more down on it than i should be, but there were so many glaringly stupid issues with the screenplay that it just really bogged the whole thing down for me.
the diversity (both racial and gender) and representation (again both racial and gender) were cool to see on screen and well integrated (ie it was just... a movie with not-all-white and not-all-male characters, done well, without calling attention to itself) and that was definitely cool to see, but the plot certainly failed to hold up its end of things which is quite a shame.

What the hell problem did you have with Wonder Woman?

Yes, it had a weak third act, but so do most Marvel movies.

And Black Panther[ent]hellip[/ent]

Oh. I get it. Wonder Woman and Black Panther don't have white male protagonists and are therefore inferior. Got it.

I'm sorry you got triggered. Do you need a safe space?

What the hell problem did you have with Wonder Woman?

1. the characterization of her personality makes absolutely no sense - the lore says she was created by zeus in the olden gods times, which means she's at least 3-6 thousand years old.
so, either amazons are like highlanders who age to a certain point and then just stop, or else they have an elongated development cycle, in either case the implication is she's just chilling out vaguely training to be a warrior for like... let's say 4000 years, which seems a little excessive.
she's stupidly naive for someone that has been around for that long, even giving her the benefit of the doubt that it's an isolated island and she's never left it, in the movie they say the amazons occasionally go out and get some dick to replenish their numbers, so there's SOME interaction with the outside world and the island... you'd think just gossip from the warriors during that 4000 years she spent training, she's simply either a complete fucking idiot (to the point where she wouldn't be able to suddenly be a cognitively normal person functioning in modern society once she leaves the island) or her "teehee i don't things about the world" routine is a plot device used to make her 'cute' and is just terrible writing.

2. steve flies away from a german military camp in a fighter plane, is chased by planes and boats, and pops into the island - which means the island has to be somewhere vaguely near axis powers territory.
then, they sail away from the island and in the middle of the night come across a tug boat that tows them into london within, to be generous, a span of 10 hours.
that is literally geographically impossible... not to mention how stupid is the idea that an island just off the coast of *anywhere* that is covered in a shroud of perpetual storm hasn't been discovered by anyone prior to this.
this is a plot hole that the writers created, that didn't have to be there, by establishing shitty rules for how the island's cloaking mechanism works instead of it being something like "the island moves around by magic, it's not in physically the same place all the time"

3. as a humanoid created out of clay by a god to be a weapon against another god, raised for thousands of years by warriors who go out of their way to deny her exposure to anything non-amazon, how am i supposed to believe or buy into her as a character with anything resembling relatable motivations or emotions? the movie goes "okay so she's a clay golem that's 4,000 years old.... but now because we want this to be a standard movie plot she's a totally normal 20-something human" and it's bullshit.

4. one of the thematic staples of wonder woman (and superman for that matter) has always been that they are not one of us, but they aspire to be because of the good they have seen in the world. this movie assumes this thematic element without ever actually establishing it within the narrative (man of steel has the same problem) because nothing in the script ever justifies or even shows an abbreviated example of her confronting the duality of man and deciding to embrace the good aspects of humanity and fight for them.

5. coming back to the issue of her not being human or even biological: what is her motivation in this movie? what's the emotional through-line that informs her behavior? why is she a people-loving hippie and not one of the hardasses who don't give a shit about the world?
we the audience know the answer because we know wonder woman, but the movie again just assumes this information instead of ever giving it within the narrative - which would have been fine with me if the movie had just skipped any kind of origin story entirely and gone with "fuck it, you all know who wonder woman is, here's a story about her in the DCEU" but it's all fucked up and muddled trying to give an origin without any actual origin.
this movie, and man of steel, are both narrative structures that say "that happened" and never "this is why that happened" or "this is how that happened", which robs any emotional resonance within the narrative of the film, leaving the audience to have to extrapolate from external sources.
(contrast this to the two most obvious marvel parallels and think about how well established steve rogers is as a character in his own right and as the persona of captain america within the first movie, or how thor's odd behavior is explained as being a combination of cultural differences to an alien race and his blithe ignorance and indifference to anything that isn't related to asgard)

Yes, it had a weak third act, but so do most Marvel movies.
i wouldn't consider that a script problem, that's really more of an issue endemic to superhero genre blockbuster movies, almost none of them know how to do a proper follow-through for the third act... that's not even on my list of gripes.

Oh. I get it. Wonder Woman and Black Panther don't have white male protagonists and are therefore inferior. Got it.
i've already tolerated you copy/pasting this spam bullshit you like to throw in people's faces around here a few weeks ago when we were discussing altered carbon, and i gave you a pass on it because i don't expect you to memorize the posting habits of every person here.... but seriously man, do you just have that crap on a macro and you use it any time you think a thing you like isn't liked by someone else?

get the actual fuck over yourself, and like i told you weeks ago: have some shred of an idea who you're talking to or the context of the discussion before pulling out your hobby horse, you're starting to moore/coulter up in this bitch by just being a quivering liberal vagina version of derec.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.

I don't even know how to describe how funny this movie is, but this song might help.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wCH4dSD7RQ[/YOUTUBE]

1. the characterization of her personality makes absolutely no sense - the lore says she was created by zeus in the olden gods times, which means she's at least 3-6 thousand years old.
so, either amazons are like highlanders who age to a certain point and then just stop, or else they have an elongated development cycle, in either case the implication is she's just chilling out vaguely training to be a warrior for like... let's say 4000 years, which seems a little excessive.
she's stupidly naive for someone that has been around for that long, even giving her the benefit of the doubt that it's an isolated island and she's never left it, in the movie they say the amazons occasionally go out and get some dick to replenish their numbers, so there's SOME interaction with the outside world and the island... you'd think just gossip from the warriors during that 4000 years she spent training, she's simply either a complete fucking idiot (to the point where she wouldn't be able to suddenly be a cognitively normal person functioning in modern society once she leaves the island) or her "teehee i don't things about the world" routine is a plot device used to make her 'cute' and is just terrible writing.

2. steve flies away from a german military camp in a fighter plane, is chased by planes and boats, and pops into the island - which means the island has to be somewhere vaguely near axis powers territory.
then, they sail away from the island and in the middle of the night come across a tug boat that tows them into london within, to be generous, a span of 10 hours.
that is literally geographically impossible... not to mention how stupid is the idea that an island just off the coast of *anywhere* that is covered in a shroud of perpetual storm hasn't been discovered by anyone prior to this.
this is a plot hole that the writers created, that didn't have to be there, by establishing shitty rules for how the island's cloaking mechanism works instead of it being something like "the island moves around by magic, it's not in physically the same place all the time"

3. as a humanoid created out of clay by a god to be a weapon against another god, raised for thousands of years by warriors who go out of their way to deny her exposure to anything non-amazon, how am i supposed to believe or buy into her as a character with anything resembling relatable motivations or emotions? the movie goes "okay so she's a clay golem that's 4,000 years old.... but now because we want this to be a standard movie plot she's a totally normal 20-something human" and it's bullshit.

4. one of the thematic staples of wonder woman (and superman for that matter) has always been that they are not one of us, but they aspire to be because of the good they have seen in the world. this movie assumes this thematic element without ever actually establishing it within the narrative (man of steel has the same problem) because nothing in the script ever justifies or even shows an abbreviated example of her confronting the duality of man and deciding to embrace the good aspects of humanity and fight for them.

5. coming back to the issue of her not being human or even biological: what is her motivation in this movie? what's the emotional through-line that informs her behavior? why is she a people-loving hippie and not one of the hardasses who don't give a shit about the world?
we the audience know the answer because we know wonder woman, but the movie again just assumes this information instead of ever giving it within the narrative - which would have been fine with me if the movie had just skipped any kind of origin story entirely and gone with "fuck it, you all know who wonder woman is, here's a story about her in the DCEU" but it's all fucked up and muddled trying to give an origin without any actual origin.
this movie, and man of steel, are both narrative structures that say "that happened" and never "this is why that happened" or "this is how that happened", which robs any emotional resonance within the narrative of the film, leaving the audience to have to extrapolate from external sources.
(contrast this to the two most obvious marvel parallels and think about how well established steve rogers is as a character in his own right and as the persona of captain america within the first movie, or how thor's odd behavior is explained as being a combination of cultural differences to an alien race and his blithe ignorance and indifference to anything that isn't related to asgard)

i wouldn't consider that a script problem, that's really more of an issue endemic to superhero genre blockbuster movies, almost none of them know how to do a proper follow-through for the third act... that's not even on my list of gripes.

i've already tolerated you copy/pasting this spam bullshit you like to throw in people's faces around here a few weeks ago when we were discussing altered carbon, and i gave you a pass on it because i don't expect you to memorize the posting habits of every person here.... but seriously man, do you just have that crap on a macro and you use it any time you think a thing you like isn't liked by someone else?

get the actual fuck over yourself, and like i told you weeks ago: have some shred of an idea who you're talking to or the context of the discussion before pulling out your hobby horse, you're starting to moore/coulter up in this bitch by just being a quivering liberal vagina version of derec.

If you dislike superhero movies in general, then fine, but both Wonder Woman and Black Panther are among the best superhero movies made.

I admit I didn't read all of your criticisms of Wonder Woman, but number one is categorically insane.

She lived on an island apart from the rest of the world, which she only read about. On the island she was pampered for being the only child and the daughter of the queen. What she knew about men and the rest of the world ("man's world") came only from books, and you find it unreasonable that she was naive?

When people give you reasons for why they hate something and the reasons don't make sense, it usually means they're not being honest about why they hate it.

And it's amusing that you are so offended by my use of "triggered" comments, given that the whole reason I do that is to show how shitty those "triggered" comments are. Bigots are the ones who normally use that term, and they're usually the biggest snowflakes.

Back
Top Bottom