• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

That's typical for comedies. They are low earning, but low cost. Not every movie can be a blockbuster.

I watched Logan's Run yesterday, which has just been added to Amazon Prime.

I read the book when I was a kid, saw the movie, and even watched the TV show that followed. Loved the Sandman's guns, the skimpy clothing (Jenny Agutter...hello!) and the futuristic setting. I hadn't seen it in a long time.

Oh my goodness. We're so spoiled nowadays. Spoiled bloody rotten. Even the worst science fiction or superhero show is Shakespeare compared to Logan's Run. I tried to watch it with an eye towards the fact that the genre hadn't been yet revolutionized by Star Wars, but even by mid-70s standards it was bad. Bad acting. Bad writing. Bad music. Honestly the only saving grace was - again - Jenny Agutter...who looks strikingly similar to a yoga instructor I know in L.A.

I read the book when I was a kid, saw the movie, and even watched the TV show that followed. Loved the Sandman's guns, the skimpy clothing (Jenny Agutter...hello!) and the futuristic setting. I hadn't seen it in a long time.

Oh my goodness. We're so spoiled nowadays. Spoiled bloody rotten. Even the worst science fiction or superhero show is Shakespeare compared to Logan's Run. I tried to watch it with an eye towards the fact that the genre hadn't been yet revolutionized by Star Wars, but even by mid-70s standards it was bad. Bad acting. Bad writing. Bad music. Honestly the only saving grace was - again - Jenny Agutter...who looks strikingly similar to a yoga instructor I know in L.A.

Some things are better left fond memories. This is why I'll never again watch my favorite childhood sci-fi movie, Silent Running. More than just sci-fi, it was sci-fi for treehuggers. It would break my heart to sit through it today shaking my head and wishing it were over. No. The final scene with Dewey dutifully tending the last forest as the geodome drifted off into space is the fond memory that I will hold until the end of days.

Some things are better left fond memories. This is why I'll never again watch my favorite childhood sci-fi movie, Silent Running. More than just sci-fi, it was sci-fi for treehuggers. It would break my heart to sit through it today shaking my head and wishing it were over. No. The final scene with Dewey dutifully tending the last forest as the geodome drifted off into space is the fond memory that I will hold until the end of days.

I also have fond memories of that movie, and watched it again a couple years ago. It holds up much better than Logan's Run. Until the Joan Baez song kicks in, that is...

" Coming To America. Of all the Eddie Murphy movies, this is most likely the worst in my very humble opinion. Made in 1998 during Murphy's golden era. [as far as the box office is concerned ]

But the laughs are few and even Murphy himself, who never takes himself seriously seemed distracted in this lemon. I had to switch it off after about 30 minutes of what must be pure torture for any film fan. Luckily I was chatting to friends on Messenger during this stinker.

1.2/10

Silent Running holds up. It's still a great movie.

Here's a nice behind the scenes

https://youtu.be/9xtsNdLj1F4

Some things just don't age well.

For me, it was the original Star Wars trilogy.

I think Logan's run is still awesome. I've probably watched it over a hundred times. Will never get old. Same deal with Flash Gordon. Or the Black Hole. Pure gold. I love 70'ies sci-fi. Because filmmakers could take chances then

Dagon 10/10

Rewatched this for the twentieth time. Realized why I love it so much.

Major spoiler:

it's a horror movie where the bad guys win in the end.

Lovecraftian horror classic from the 90'ies. All the tentacles you'd ever want

Watched Jason Bourne last night. The cast of Matt Damon and Tommy Lee Jones make this a must see movie. Most times sequels are nothing like the originals, but in this case this is everything as good as the first of the franchise.

A very slick action thriller. Rated 7/10

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - 6/10

Fairly entertaining, but it would have been nice for it to have been a movie on its own as opposed to being a two hour commercial to set up the next movie. The main plot line of the guy running around the city rounding up his escaped magical beasts was really good, but that kept getting interrupted for the less good B storyline of spending twenty minutes on a trailer for the second installment. Then that kept getting interrupted for the completely daft C storyline about the muggles (it's weird that spellcheck sees that as a valid word) the evil wizard is trying to start a war against.

They did not do a good job of merging all the various things they were going for together and that made the entire thing muddled and choppy. If they'd cut a half hour off of the runtime and focused on the main plot with only a scene or two to set up the continuity, it would have been a much stronger film.

Also, the twist at the end was really kind of random and doesn't particularly make sense unless you're up to date on the minutiae of Harry Potter lore and know what they were going for with that. I got it because I'm a big enough Harry Potter nerd but my wife was watching it with me and had no idea what that was all about.

I think Logan's run is still awesome. I've probably watched it over a hundred times. Will never get old. Same deal with Flash Gordon. Or the Black Hole. Pure gold. I love 70'ies sci-fi. Because filmmakers could take chances then
Awesome? Eh, I think you must love the nostalgia. Not just the effects but Peter Ustinov's over-acting has become wince-inducing. What's strange in seeing it again was I remember finding the effects very convincing in the theater as a kid. But, now... Yikes. So "seventies"!

I was just a little kid in the early 70's but I remember the buzz about how awesome the effects in this and that movie were. (Logan's Run, Planets of the Apes series, et al).

I think LR got the award for visual effects, among others. And then the very next year it was Star Wars that won them. Wow, the huge change from just one year to the next.

Now I'm wondering why 2001: Space Odyssey hadn't had more impact.. How did the toyish animation and just placing some cheap props around in recognizable architecture continue after it? Apparently it took Star Wars to say "Hey here's the new standard in effects you all must aspire to".

Awesome? Eh, I think you must love the nostalgia. Not just the effects but Peter Ustinov's over-acting has become wince-inducing. What's strange in seeing it again was I remember finding the effects very convincing in the theater as a kid. But, now... Yikes. So "seventies"!

I was just a little kid in the early 70's but I remember the buzz about how awesome the effects in this and that movie were. (Logan's Run, Planets of the Apes series, et al).

I think LR got the award for visual effects, among others. And then the very next year it was Star Wars that won them. Wow, the huge change from just one year to the next.

Now I'm wondering why 2001: Space Odyssey hadn't had more impact.. How did the toyish animation and just placing some cheap props around in recognizable architecture continue after it? Apparently it took Star Wars to say "Hey here's the new standard in effects you all must aspire to".

I don't think I'm nostalgic at all. I just like the darkness of 70'ies sci-fi. I have no problem with b-movies or shitty effects. It's the overall feel of it that I care the most about

You can't judge an old movie for its special effects.

In fact, I would argue that we shouldn't judge modern movies on their special effects, but we definitely shouldn't judge older movies by their special effects. Heck, in the 1980s, I loved Dr. Who because of the bizarre combination of bad special effects and reasonably good writing, not in spite of it.

I remember Logan's Run being awful, but not because of the special effects. Character development, plot, themes, acting, directing, etc., should be important. Good special effects only have value in distracting you from a movie that gets all those other bits wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps the best example of this is the shark in Jaws.

The animatronic shark was terrible, even by the special effects standards of the day.

Thus, Spielberg was forced to show the shark less and focus more on people reacting to the shark, which actually improved the movie and made the shark far more terrifying.

Speaking of sharks. A Rotten Tomatoes nominee Sharknado has to be among the worst of the worse. The bimbo Tara Reid is surely the worst actor of the decade. 1/10.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

This is a Netflix anthology film of six stories about the old west. It is weird, funny, intense, tragic, and something I'll have to watch again in order to fully appreciate. In short, I thought it was great. The only criticism I have is that the first tale is a poor setup for the rest because it's so dissimilar to the other five. It may have been better as the final chapter, or even as comic relief following what I thought was the most gut wrenching story. I'm being vague because I don't want to give anything away. But it's a really good movie to watch by yourself, and then enjoy it all over again with someone else.

8.5/10

Great effects can't save a terrible story, but a great story can be forgiven for terrible effects. Black Hole is still my favorite sci-fi film of my childhood because it was the story that sucked me in, not the laser beams. I think the story of Logan's Run was exceptional so can forgive the lackluster portions of the film

Speaking of sharks. A Rotten Tomatoes nominee Sharknado has to be among the worst of the worse. The bimbo Tara Reid is surely the worst actor of the decade. 1/10.

Yeah, but it stars white people. Doesn't that automatically make it a good movie? You know, like the prequel trilogy or Ghostbusters II.

Back
Top Bottom