• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Crazy Rich Asians

Romcoms are so not my kind of movie, but since it made so much money, I figured it was worth a watch. What I liked about it the most were the cultural aspects, and the unexpected quirky bits of comedy here and there. What I liked least was the predictability. In a Romcom, the moment one person says to their SO, "I want you to meet my family," you know exactly how it's going to go. Still, it was better than most films of the genre... but good god it sure does drip with cheese at times too. So much so that had it not been so far into the film, I would've turned it off.

5/10

Grumpy Old Men the original. 1993 starring the great Jack Lemon and Walter Matthao.

Two old men, who have lived next door to each other for years vie for the same affections of their new neighbor. I think this movie could have been much better than it was when one considers the very good cast. It's not a laugh out loud movie in the sense of a comedy.

But I can think of much worse ways to spend around 90 minutes. 6.5/10

Sicario

You ever watch one of those movies that's about that one "by the book" cop who makes a difference?

Yeah...well...this ain't one of them.

Emily Blunt plays the titular character who gets recruited into a team bringing the fight to the drug cartels, but they're anything but "by the book." She's really good. Josh Brolin is really good. Benicio Del Toro is...typecast. The movie is really tight. It clocks in at 2 hours but feels like 90 minutes. The action scenes are efficient and not over the top like a lot of films in the drug war genre.

It is also set in locations I know very well. El Paso. Juarez. Chandler Arizona. They really got El Paso and Juarez right. Chandler? Not so much.

7/10

Game Night - 5/10

Remember that old Bill Murray movie about people in a live action game where actors pretending to be criminals are chasing them as part of a play and then some real criminals started chasing them and all the players thought that this was part of the game? Remember how you were thinking that this movie should be redone but without Bill Murray and without as much comedy? I don't remember thinking that either, but apparently the people in charge of this movie did.

I kind of want to add to that paragraph, but there's not really anything else to say about the film.

Game Night - 5/10

Remember that old Bill Murray movie about people in a live action game where actors pretending to be criminals are chasing them as part of a play and then some real criminals started chasing them and all the players thought that this was part of the game? Remember how you were thinking that this movie should be redone but without Bill Murray and without as much comedy? I don't remember thinking that either, but apparently the people in charge of this movie did.

I kind of want to add to that paragraph, but there's not really anything else to say about the film.

I never saw the Bill Murry film. I don't even know the name of it.

I thought Game Night had some very funny parts. Rachel McAdams is always a treat.

I thought Game Night had some very funny parts. Rachel McAdams is always a treat.

It's called The Man Who Knew Too Little. Watch it and then re-watch Game Night so that you can see the stark comparison.

It's called The Man Who Knew Too Little. Watch it and then re-watch Game Night so that you can see the stark comparison.
The Man Who Knew Too Little just screams "this has to be a shit movie", but it isn't. It is thoroughly enjoyable. And I have no idea why.

Crazy Rich Asians

Romcoms are so not my kind of movie, but since it made so much money, I figured it was worth a watch. What I liked about it the most were the cultural aspects, and the unexpected quirky bits of comedy here and there. What I liked least was the predictability. In a Romcom, the moment one person says to their SO, "I want you to meet my family," you know exactly how it's going to go. Still, it was better than most films of the genre... but good god it sure does drip with cheese at times too. So much so that had it not been so far into the film, I would've turned it off.

5/10

You gave it 5 out of ten stars even though it doesn't star white people?

Wow, when did you become a freedom-hating Social Justice Warrior?

Out of Sight, 2/10; Stars George Clooney, Jennifer Lopez. It was fucking painful. I only watched because J-Lo was in it (there's always room for J-Lo) and there was only one brief scene where she was down to her underwear in this two hour slog. I was gypped. The plot was based around a home burglary hatched while Clooney was in prison for bank robbery but was so fucking dumb it was annoying. This movie had pretty good reviews but it was utter shit.

Crazy Rich Asians

5/10

You gave it 5 out of ten stars even though it doesn't star white people?

Wow, when did you become a freedom-hating Social Justice Warrior?

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

I got off work early and it's raining here so I watched two movies today (so nice).

Rampage

This movie was inspired by a video game of the 1980s. I did not have any expectations, but it was surprisingly good. Not good as in it's a great movie, but good in that it delivers exactly what it promises: monsters destroying stuff, monsters fighting army men, and even monsters fighting monsters. And it does it all without being excessively stupid. Of course you have to suspend disbelief, and the movie does demand that, but it's fun enough that it doesn't distract from being quite entertaining.

6.5/10

Tomb Raider (2018)
If they could've combined the feel of this movie with the sets and look of the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies, it would've been a winner. However, they didn't. It wasn't terrible, and there was some entertaining action sequences, but the move gets bogged down in hokey-ness and lame coincidences that just scream lazy writing. This was an attempt to restart the franchise and I don't know that this effort was enough of a kicker to do it.

Alicia Vikander is a much better Lara Croft than Jolie was though. Where Jolie's character was badass from the outset and basically a superhero, Vikander's Croft is grittier, more vulnerable, and for lack of a better way to put it, earns the role (if that makes sense). While this film left a lot to be desired, I hope they make a sequel and improve on this attempted reboot.

4.5/10

That's why I thought that first one should've either been last or fit somewhere in between.

First and last are what is remembered. Generally you put your best story first, and second best last, and then shuffle the best of what remains thruout the book or film.

Best first, perhaps, because it allows you to think, "I'm watching a good film," as you continue watching.

Delta Force. The best thing about this awful film is that Lee Marvin was in it. A Chuck Norris vehicle for action movies is obvious. They made sequels so it means it got bums on seats which is the main thing. 4/10

Passengers 7/10

I think this is a sorely underrated little sci-fi gem. I knew it had been critically savaged but gave it a whirl anyway and thoroughly enjoyed the time spent watching it. My only quibble is the action scenes towards the end as they try to fix the ship feel a little out of place with the general feel of the film and felt kind of rushed. Also the final scene was a bit hokey. But the majority of the film explored the terrible situation the characters found themselves in and the consequences of the actions they take in response to that situation.

Passengers 7/10

I think this is a sorely underrated little sci-fi gem. I knew it had been critically savaged but gave it a whirl anyway and thoroughly enjoyed the time spent watching it. My only quibble is the action scenes towards the end as they try to fix the ship feel a little out of place with the general feel of the film and felt kind of rushed. Also the final scene was a bit hokey. But the majority of the film explored the terrible situation the characters found themselves in and the consequences of the actions they take in response to that situation.

Phew! I thought I was the only one who enjoyed that film. Agree with the 7/10 rating you gave it.

Passengers 7/10

Phew! I thought I was the only one who enjoyed that film. Agree with the 7/10 rating you gave it.

Same here. By the time I got around to watching it, having read how terrible it was, I was expecting a "I turned it off at the 30 minute mark" experience. Instead, I found it to be an interesting exploration of ethics, which caused me to put myself in Chris Pratt's character's shoes. I like to think I would have eventually offed myself or be resigned to living out my life as a spaceman hermit. However, no one can say for certain what they would do, which allows the viewer to sympathize with Pratt's predicament, even though what he did was objectively wrong.

It wasn't a perfect movie, and the last 5 minutes were really hokey, but it doesn't ruin the film.

Passengers 7/10

Same here. By the time I got around to watching it, having read how terrible it was, I was expecting a "I turned it off at the 30 minute mark" experience. Instead, I found it to be an interesting exploration of ethics, which caused me to put myself in Chris Pratt's character's shoes. I like to think I would have eventually offed myself or be resigned to living out my life as a spaceman hermit. However, no one can say for certain what they would do, which allows the viewer to sympathize with Pratt's predicament, even though what he did was objectively wrong.

It wasn't a perfect movie, and the last 5 minutes were really hokey, but it doesn't ruin the film.

A reviewer pointed out that the movie would have had a very different feel if filmed from the victim's POV; more like a traditional psychological horror film. That element is there in the finished cut, but you're more inclined to feel sympathy for Pratt's character having met him first and knowing his motivations, than you would if the big lie were the mystery to be solved throughout the movie and shockingly revealed toward the end.

I too have no problem with 7/10 on Passengers. I was unable to suspend disbelief at the climax, where he's uninjured by the fusion reactor because he has a shield. (They almost did that scene better in Dragonslayer because Galen could have crouched a bit, lowering himself so one edge of the shield, a big dragon scale, was in the water, so then the flame wouldn't rush under the shield and vaporize him.)

I was unable to beat out Passengers. I don't remember why. That's not a complaint. A story's beat sheet isn't why we enjoy it. But I'm going to try it again now anyway, just to see if I have more luck:

1. Opening: If I remember correctly, we open with an image of a weirdly-sculpted rotating space ship, empty.

2. Intro: Colony ship to another system. Passengers in cold storage. Accident in a debris field. Jim wakes up all alone, too early, due to a glitch. For the rest of his life he'll be alone on this ship as it travels between stars. Other glitches are happening. Jim learns to work things well enough to get by, but he's alone, aside from Arthur, the automated bartender with a Genuine People Personality. Preston sees Aurora in cold storage, fixates, imprints.

3. Invitation: He finds a manual, realizes he could wake her up.

4. Debate: Will he wake her up? He goes back and forth, obsessing, telling Arthur all.

5. Acceptance: He wakes her up.

6. Fun: Jim and Aurora become friends, learn the ship, observe occasional glitches.

7. Unnamed pivot: Jim asks her on a date. "Took you long enough." They become lovers.

8. Games: In love, they continue learning about the ship, trying to wake the crew. Glitches seem more ominous. Because he's with Aurora, Jim gets better food and accommodations.

9. Midpoint: Arthur tells Aurora that Jim woke her up on purpose.

10. Bad Guys Close In: Aurora hates Jim now, but has to work with him anyway because the glitches are dangerous and getting worse. They find the hull breach and repair it. Crewman Gus wakes up sick. He's dying. The computer is failing; they're all gonna die.

11. All Is Lost Moment:

12. Dark Night of the Soul:

13. Re-Up:

14. Run-up:

15. Victory or Defeat: Aurora realizes she can't live alone on this ship any more than Jim could, so now, presumably, she'll be able to forgive him for waking her up; they can be in love again. They fix the computer and reboot the reactor. Aurora launches herself into space to recover Jim's body, risking all for love. She saves him, and then uses Gus's PIN to make the autodoc bring him back to life.

16. Aftermath: Jim figures out how, with Gus's PIN number, he can put Aurora back into cold storage so she can survive the trip. But she can't leave him alone, so, with Arthur the robot bartender, they live happily ever after until, you know, old age, death, and total isolation for whichever of them lives longer. Aurora continues her blog.

17. End: Flash forward to when the crew wakes up. Jim and Aurora are dead, but they've made the ship more homey and outdoorsy, and Aurora has continued her blog, so, in that sense, she's made her mark upon the world.

Notes:

a) Such exercises entertain me.

b) With the arguable exceptions of 1 and 17, the odd-numbered beats are pivots. They are momentary. So number 15 is wrong because it includes a number of different moments, which is understandable because I haven't been able to identify beats 11 and 13, which means that I don't know which of the various story lines is the main story, so I don't know which one to use as the victory.

c) Not all stories have all of these beats. So maybe that's why I don't identify beats 11 and 13?

d) The even-numbered beats are sequences rather than pivots. For instance, everything between beats 11 and 13 is beat 12.

e) When Jim fixes the autodoc to put Aurora back into cold storage, I want to call that Dark Night of the Soul. We're revealing character by showing how he behaves without hope. He'll lose the woman he loves, and he'll be back in his unbearable solitude, but he does this anyway because he loves her. But I don't see how to call this part of beat 12 when it comes after all of the various candidates for beat 15.

f) Oh, yes, spoiler alert.

Last edited:
A reviewer pointed out that the movie would have had a very different feel if filmed from the victim's POV; more like a traditional psychological horror film. That element is there in the finished cut, but you're more inclined to feel sympathy for Pratt's character having met him first and knowing his motivations, than you would if the big lie were the mystery to be solved throughout the movie and shockingly revealed toward the end.

Yes, one could argue that it's a remake of Beauty and the Beast.

Back
Top Bottom