• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Pale Rider. Clunk Eastwood in his comfort zone. [along with his Dirty Harry cop persona] Actually an excellent Western. A mystery man arrives at a remote western town which is run by an evil prospecting outfit that wants to take over a small communities land.

Come to think of it. I can't remember ever watching a bad Clint Eastwood movie ever.

This. 8/10

Queue up "The Gauntlet". What a crapfest.

Or Paint your wagon.

"I talk to the trees,
That's why they put me away..."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn8YubD01sk[/youtube]

Oh yea, I'd forgotten about those duds. Especially Paint Your Wagon when he starts to sing. My gawd, what a terrible experience that was! That's as far as I got into that stinker!

It was a couple days ago, but my computer was kaput so I wasn't able to tell you about Silence, a Martin Scorsese film that came out a few years ago and pretty much bombed. According to IMDB it made back about half of it's budget worldwide. It's a pretty straightforward story. Two 17th Century Jesuit priests (Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver) undertake a mission to Japan to find out what happened to another priest (Liam Neeson) who went there to spread the word 'o god.

Rumor has it that he "went native" and abandoned his faith, and given what's seen in the beginning of the film, that's a possibility. When the two protagonists arrive in Japan, they find a small community of converts who (rightly) fear for their lives, but are happy to have the "padres" lead them to Jesus. The authorities have banned Christianity under penalty of torture/death, and the priests spend the second act hiding and ministering to the desperate faithful. It goes about as well as you'd expect.

Of course, being Scorsese, it is an incredibly well-made film. He's lauded as one of the great directors of our time with good reason. Everything about the movie - cinematography, performances, direction - is top notch. My only problem with the film is that it comes down a little too much on the side of the priests and portrays them a bit too heroically. The Japanese prosecutor is given a chance to explain why he's so adamant about persecuting them, but the ending (which I won't reveal) is not very satisfying for this cranky old unbeliever.

Still, as a piece of film making, it is very good.

7/10

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqrgxZLd_gE[/YOUTUBE]

I happened to just catch the last half hour of Furious 7. I barely remember the first F&F movie, wasn't impressed and never watched another. Have they all gotten this over-the-top ridiculous?

I happened to just catch the last half hour of Furious 7. I barely remember the first F&F movie, wasn't impressed and never watched another. Have they all gotten this over-the-top ridiculous?

Yup

Birds of Prey 8/10

DC seems to have finally struck the right tone, at least for Harley Quinn, with Birds of Prey. It is just the right blend of dark comedy, craziness, and kick-ass action. I have to admit that at first I wasn't sure if the choice of having Harley narrate the entire movie was going to work out, as it seemed to be putting the movie in the position of telling rather than showing, and I think that is a valid critique for the first few minutes as they are bridging the gap between Suicide Squad and this movie. For fans of the comics, there are a lot of easter eggs thrown in to those first few minutes, but it might not be as engaging for those who only know Margot Robbie's Harley. Once that is over, and the movie settles into its own storyline, any problem viewers might have the with the expository nature of the intro should be left far behind. Other than that, there are a few places where the movie jumps around in time without giving the viewer much notice, but it is only a few days here and there at most, so it doesn't serve to sow confusion in the way that The Witcher does.

Now, if DC can avoid forcing every movie after this to strike the exact same tone, they may be on the way to righting the ship.

Doctor Sleep 9/10

A sequel to The Shining. The little psychic boy is all grown up. Life hasn't been good to him, but he is trying to put it back together. Enter into his life a very strong psychic girl, and a pack of creatures? psychic vampires? people that feed on the powers of psychics. Loved this film a lot. The girl playing the young psychic, this is only her second film and she was great! Smart and strong, no classic damsel in distress here.

Birds of Prey - 8/10

The movie should really be called Harley Quinn - Featuring the Birds of Prey. The basic premise is that the Joker dumped her and now, without his protection, all the people whom she fucked over with her crazy declare open season on her and chase her around the city. One of them captures her and agrees to put off killing her for a day if she can get him this MacGuffin he's been looking for - and hi-jinks ensue. This puts her in contact with the other ladies in the Birds of Prey and they end up teaming up and bashing a bunch of people in the face in an entertaining manner.

Robbie knocks it out of the park in this role and is just hilarious. She gives the character a Deadpool-ish vibe without completely breaking the fourth wall and becoming a Dealpool ripoff. The other Birds of Prey are really good too, especially the Huntress. The action scenes are well done, the plot is tight and moves forward well and it's just plain fun to watch.

The only real problem is that while it works great as a self-contained movie, it kind of ignores the larger DC Universe which should apparently be happening around it. For instance, the main bad guy's goal is to become the top crime lord in Gotham ... whom one would assume is currently the Joker. However, he's clearly terrified of the Joker which is why he didn't dare do anything to Harley while that would mean crossing him, but he's trying to control the crime in Gotham ... which would kind of mean crossing the Joker? It might not for some kind of reason, but the glaring lack of any such reason being referenced was a glaring lack that kind of hung over things. Speaking of glaring lacks, there were a bunch of criminals shooting up Gotham and running around the streets being bad guys and one would expect a certain response to occur to that. It wasn't there and nobody ever mentioned why. I get that DC is not making a bunch of films that just happen on their own and don't particularly worry about the interconnectedness of the universe, which is fine and is working well for them, but things like Shazam and Aquaman that happen in different places can ignore it however they choose, but this one is a Batman villain operating in the middle of Gotham City and they kind of needed a few more lines about why none of the other stuff matters in this plot.

My wife said it's not doing well at the box office. Suicide Squad is the only comic book movie she's ever liked so she's paying a little attention to how BOP is accepted.

My wife said it's not doing well at the box office. Suicide Squad is the only comic book movie she's ever liked so she's paying a little attention to how BOP is accepted.

Seems to be doing fine. It cost about $80 million to make and has already pulled in over $80 million so it turned a profit the first week. It's a lesser known franchise, so it's not going to do the big superhero numbers, but it seems to be doing well for what it is.

Seems to be doing fine. It cost about $80 million to make and has already pulled in over $80 million so it turned a profit the first week. It's a lesser known franchise, so it's not going to do the big superhero numbers, but it seems to be doing well for what it is.

They have to share that $80 million. They need around double that to break even, maybe more.

I've read that they don't consider a movie profitable until it's made four times the cost of making it. Because, as a for instance, the cost of making the film doesn't include the cost of advertising it.

But if they made up the cost in the first week, they should make up four times the cost before long.

Lucy 2014 Missed this one, just watched it. Scarlett Johnson, Morgan Freeman. Just enough science to make the fiction work. Then it takes off. 8/10. Ignore the implausible movement by the gangsters and their firearms. The rest is cool.

A movie you can watch in just under 12 minutes. I came across this channel a little over a year ago. Short films. Short science fiction films. They're not all great, but some of them are very good.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv8kOzRZK8g[/YOUTUBE]

Something or other about a school reunion. American Reunion. Old friends return to their hometown, after a more than a decade to attend their high school reunion. Having decided to spend the weekend together.

5/10

Lucy 2014 Missed this one, just watched it. Scarlett Johnson, Morgan Freeman. Just enough science to make the fiction work. Then it takes off. 8/10. Ignore the implausible movement by the gangsters and their firearms. The rest is cool.
Yeah La Femme Nikita... I mean The Fifth Element... I mean Lucy was pretty good.

I was going to say, it'd be nice if Besson had a different protagonist, but remembered he did Leon and created The Transporter guy.

Fargo for the third or fourth time. Starring the much underrated William H Macy.

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Fargo_(film)
Fargo (film) - Wikipedia
Fargo is a 1996 black comedy thriller film written and produced by Joel and Ethan Coen and solely directed by Joel Coen. Frances McDormand stars as Marge Gunderson, a pregnant Minnesota police chief investigating roadside homicides that ensue after a desperate car salesman (William H. Macy] arranges for the kidnapping of his wife so he can hold her for a million dollar ransom. Thing's go from bad to worse when the plan falls flat as a pizza.

At least...9/10

Fast And Furious - Hobbs And Shaw

The first F&F movie I've actually enjoyed. Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham join forces to save the world from a deadly virus a mad organization personified by Idris Elba wants to release upon the world. Johnson and Statham's characters hate each other and their rivalry fuels a lot of humor and downright funny scenes. Some of the action is a little over the top but much less than the totally impossible that you usually see in an F&F movie. Overall I give it a 7.5/10.

Is this possibly one of the best ever of the Bond movies, along with Dr No?

from Russia With Love. [1963] starring the best Bond of them all Sean Connery.

James is ordered to steal a Soviet decoding device from the Russian Embassy in Istanbul.

9/10. 8.5/10 for the latter.

No Country for old Men: 8/10 An oldie from 2007, but now a classic. Great performances and unusual ending. Worth a 2nd watch or maybe a 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom