• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Zombieland: Double Tap, 7/10; Stars Woody Harleson and Jesse Eisenberg. A group of four survivors of the zombie apocalypse are holed up in the White House pretty much bored with each other and getting on each others nerves. Two of the group leave, a girl named Wichita and a younger girl Little Rock. Wichita returns a short time later with news that Little Rock took off with a hippy from Berkeley. This prompts the rest of the group to go out into Zombieland and get their friend back. Plenty of action and wisecracks in equal measure. Low brow entertainment and quite enjoyable.

I watched The Fly, for about the third time. Made in 1986 and starring the great Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis. A scientist is turned into a fly after an experiment with teleportation goes wrong. A good SF film from that era. 7/10

Finally made it to see the Star Wars finale (?). It was good. Not great, but really well made. Not groundbreaking, but the production values were very good. It did everything it had to do - including redeeming the series from the disappointing previous installment - and it wrapped everything up with a few well-done nods to the fans. I have a few beefs, though...

"Suddenly, there's a surprise fleet." Twice. So, Palpatine has been building a secret fleet of star destroyers on a secret planet for decades and didn't launch them when they were completed and ready for battle, instead holding off until the very last minute (which he knows didn't work the last time)? And the rest of the galaxy were afraid to go toe to toe with the First Order, but when Lando comes to them and says "we're going to attack this fleet that makes the First Order look like peanuts" they're suddenly all in?

I like the fact that they gave Leia/Carrie a proper send-off (again fixing the mistake of Last Jedi), but sat through the first couple minutes of credits waiting for something...anything...for Peter Mayhew. Nope. I also thought the "oh and Leia also trained as a Jedi and had a light saber" thing was a stretch and kinda forced.

And having recently re-watched the first (and only good) season of Heroes, I was disappointed that Matt Parkman was killed off.

Overall, though, good. 7/10.

I watched The Fly, for about the third time. Made in 1986 and starring the great Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis. A scientist is turned into a fly after an experiment with teleportation goes wrong. A good SF film from that era. 7/10

Didn't see that one, but this one has stuck with me.

the fly.jpg

Pavarotti

A documentary on the life of opera superstar Luciano Pavarotti. Directed by Ron Howard. Tells the story of his life from childhood to opera star to worldwide superstar to his scandalous affair and finally his death. Filled with anecdotes from friends, family, business associates, and other stars he performed with. Chock filled with some of the most beautiful music ever put on film. I was struck by how, when he wasn't performing, he was almost always smiling.

The docu, of course ends with Pavarotti's total earth-shattering performance of the Nessun Dorma from Turandot.

Highly recommended. 10/10

Shown on Showtime.

Didn't see that one, but this one has stuck with me.

View attachment 25629

I'm intrigued, and loved Vincent Price. I'll attempt to find and watch it on YouTube.

Finally made it to see the Star Wars finale (?). It was good. Not great, but really well made. Not groundbreaking, but the production values were very good. It did everything it had to do - including redeeming the series from the disappointing previous installment - and it wrapped everything up with a few well-done nods to the fans. I have a few beefs, though...

"Suddenly, there's a surprise fleet." Twice. So, Palpatine has been building a secret fleet of star destroyers on a secret planet for decades and didn't launch them when they were completed and ready for battle, instead holding off until the very last minute (which he knows didn't work the last time)? And the rest of the galaxy were afraid to go toe to toe with the First Order, but when Lando comes to them and says "we're going to attack this fleet that makes the First Order look like peanuts" they're suddenly all in?

I like the fact that they gave Leia/Carrie a proper send-off (again fixing the mistake of Last Jedi), but sat through the first couple minutes of credits waiting for something...anything...for Peter Mayhew. Nope. I also thought the "oh and Leia also trained as a Jedi and had a light saber" thing was a stretch and kinda forced.

And having recently re-watched the first (and only good) season of Heroes, I was disappointed that Matt Parkman was killed off.

Overall, though, good. 7/10.

The best I can say about it is that it wasn't bad. And I can only say that by forcing myself to concentrate on how good the film looked, and ignore the incomprehensibly terrible plot and pacing. It does the exact same thing that JJ Abrams did with his first installment of the trilogy, it steals the entire plot from the movie in the same position in the first trilogy, and makes it worse. This is just Return of the Jedi rehashed, with plot points thrown at a wall without a care for whether or not they even stick. The Last Jedi was the best film of this trilogy, and it was not a very good film either. I am glad they have finally concluded the Skywalker saga, enough damage has been done. Now they need to put the people behind The Mandalorian in charge of the franchise, and see if they can't right the ship.

Now they need to put the people behind The Mandalorian in charge of the franchise, and see if they can't right the ship.

Give it a minute. That's just like their previous plan to put the people behind Game of Thrones in charge of the franchise because of how good that one was.

7 Days In Entebbe, 6/10; Stars Rosamund Pike in the true story of the hijacking of an Air France plane and the rescue mission on Entebbe airport in Uganda in 1976. The movie fails to deliver the tension and action needed to make it beyond a 6/10 but it does a decent job of laying out the historical events that took place. It should have gone further and shown the ramifications of the operation on Africa. Plus, there was some fluff dance piece that was interspersed throughout the final scene which was a bit annoying.

Diego Maradona, 7/10; HBO documentary about the Argentinian soccer legend, Maradona. An interesting look at Maradona's turbulent life and career using never before seen footage of him at home and with family. There is some great footage of him playing and training. He is quite a character.

7 Days In Entebbe, 6/10; Stars Rosamund Pike in the true story of the hijacking of an Air France plane and the rescue mission on Entebbe airport in Uganda in 1976. The movie fails to deliver the tension and action needed to make it beyond a 6/10 but it does a decent job of laying out the historical events that took place. It should have gone further and shown the ramifications of the operation on Africa. Plus, there was some fluff dance piece that was interspersed throughout the final scene which was a bit annoying.

Diego Maradona, 7/10; HBO documentary about the Argentinian soccer legend, Maradona. An interesting look at Maradona's turbulent life and career using never before seen footage of him at home and with family. There is some great footage of him playing and training. He is quite a character.

They erected a statue of the great man in Napoli whom he guided to a premiership in the Italian football A league many moons ago now.

The Star Wars Trilogy (VII to IX) made over $4 billion and is approaching $5 billion. On a budget less than 1/5 that, I'm pretty certain Disney will consider that a wild success.

What I found odd was a couple people I know had liked the newest two movies, but then after the final, they soured on the entire trilogy.

The Simpsons captured the issue when media analysts were trying to figure out what kids wanted for a cartoon show.
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqk_fN0NRgg[/YOUTUBE]

Star Wars suffers the same problem.

The Star Wars Trilogy (VII to IX) made over $4 billion and is approaching $5 billion. On a budget less than 1/5 that, I'm pretty certain Disney will consider that a wild success.

What I found odd was a couple people I know had liked the newest two movies, but then after the final, they soured on the entire trilogy.

I would probably fit into that category. I found the first two movies in the trilogy passable, with the second being the better movie of the two. After the final episode, I think the entire trilogy was a waste, though I still think The Last Jedi was the best of the three. So, my problem is mostly with JJ Abrams, and here is why:

When The Force Awakens came out I was excited. We were getting a new Star Wars film that continued the original trilogy, and we could forget about the prequel trilogy, because they had learned from that mistake. To some degree they had, the tone was different, and they approached it from the angle of trying to the same things that made the original trilogy great. Unfortunately, it was still executed poorly plot wise. It was a rehash of A New Hope, with a McGuffin hunt running through the entire thing. Most fans were not thrilled with either the rehash, or the McGuffin hunt, they were what we complained about the most. The Last Jedi then went off and did it's own thing, remaining barely connected to the events that happened in the previous movie. It had gotten a little better, and I had hopes that the final movie would right the ship. But when I got to the theater I was presented with a fucking rehash of Return of the Jedi with a fucking McGuffin hunt running through the entire thing. In both cases the McGuffin hunt was entirely unnecessary. The McGuffin hunt in The Last Jedi was bad enough, but at least it did not introduce major plot holes. The Rise of Skywalker McGuffin hunt did just that.

Spoiler:

Our heroes needed a key to find the planet where the Emperor set up his new base of operations. There were only two keys made, Kylo Ren found the first one and used it to get there himself. Yet, when our heroes finally arrive, there is a massive fleet of Star Destroyers there that would have taken millions, if not billions, of people to construct and crew. How did they get there? Why didn't they need a key? The keys were freaking old, as old as Rey, and had been apparently lost for some time, yet some of the First Order officers that we met in the previous movies were even there, with no key necessary for them. At least in The Force Awakens there was no indication that anyone else had been able to locate Luke without having to find the McGuffin, not so in this case. That is a plot hole of a size that you can fly a fleet of Star Destroyers through, and sadly it was not the only plot hole in the movie.

The Simpsons captured the issue when media analysts were trying to figure out what kids wanted for a cartoon show.
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqk_fN0NRgg[/YOUTUBE]

Star Wars suffers the same problem.

It's not like they didn't have years to hear about the problems fans had with The Force Awakens, and make sure they did not repeat those mistakes. It seems much more like Abrams said, "Oh so you didn't like the stupid shit I did in The Force Awakens, well strap yourselves in, because I am dialing that shit up to 11 this time around."

And that is why my answer to this trilogy is a simple "Fuck you, JJ Abrams."

The Prequel was trapped by the Original Trilogy. The Triologuel had absolutely nothing to hold it back. It seemed to operate like Star Trek Voyager a bit. The universe is the limit... and all we got were Borg! But it made billions in profits, because people (unlike me), still paid to see it in the theater, where as I waited for the Rifftrax commentary to come out first.

The Lincoln Lawyer. Highly rated court room drama with brilliant acting by all concerned.......................................

In THE LINCOLN LAWYER, Mick Haller (Matthew McConaughey) is a slick L.A. criminal-defense attorney who, lacking a proper office, conducts most of his business from the safety of his chauffeured Lincoln Town Car. His clients include bikers with drug charges, prostitutes, and even hardened criminals, so he's surprised when his bail bondsman pal Val (John Leguizamo) tells him to meet with a swanky real-estate agent named Louis Roulet (Ryan Phillippe). Louis has been arrested for a violent sexual assault and, for some unknown reason, wants Haller to represent him, even though he has enough money to hire a top-tier attorney. As Mick and his colleague, private investigator Frank Levin (William H. Macy), begin to dig around, they realize that Louis is hiding something -- and Haller's former client roster holds the key to the secret.

9/10

St.Vincent 8/10 Bill Murray tackles a more complicated role and does a great job. Liked this movie even though I hate most of the elements in it. But in the end I think it was the acting that save it.

Surbacon. 9/10 Beautifully made movie with attention to detail beyond normal. Lots of twist right from the beginning. Moral of story...kids are resilient.

Star Trek Generations - I've liked this movie more in the past, but it gets a bit boring mid-way through these days, by the time the two hit the Nexus, I'm done watching. And if time doesn't exist in the Nexus, shouldn't Kirk have had all of his fun already, so it isn't much of a sacrifice to leave? And is the guy so desperate to get to the Nexus, that he was once not willing to hurt a fly, but kill over 200 million people now?

Also, Data and his emotion chip is just annoying now. Don't ask me why.

2.5 of 4
The Lincoln Lawyer. Highly rated court room drama with brilliant acting by all concerned.......................................
In THE LINCOLN LAWYER, Mick Haller (Matthew McConaughey) is a slick L.A. criminal-defense attorney who, lacking a proper office, conducts most of his business from the safety of his chauffeured Lincoln Town Car. His clients include bikers with drug charges, prostitutes, and even hardened criminals, so he's surprised when his bail bondsman pal Val (John Leguizamo) tells him to meet with a swanky real-estate agent named Louis Roulet (Ryan Phillippe). Louis has been arrested for a violent sexual assault and, for some unknown reason, wants Haller to represent him, even though he has enough money to hire a top-tier attorney. As Mick and his colleague, private investigator Frank Levin (William H. Macy), begin to dig around, they realize that Louis is hiding something -- and Haller's former client roster holds the key to the secret.

9/10

I liked this movie when I saw it. I can't member almost a single thing about it now, which is quite unusual.

Widows

A professional robbery crew's robbery of $2 million from a chicago mob boss goes terribly wrong and the robbers and the money all go up in a fiery hail of police bullets. Now the mob boss wants the wives of the robbers to pay him back, giving them 30 days to do so. They come up with a plan to steal $5 million, give the mob boss his 2 mil back and live large on the rest.

Some twists and turns and unexplained outcomes. Not great acting, Viola Davis seems to be playing every other character I've ever seen her play before.

An interesting story that didn't pan out as well on the screen.

6/10

Aladdin (live action) - Was there something in Smith’s contract that said no one else with charisma could be in the film? Also, Smith can’t sing and that detracted.

I saw the live Broadway musical. The story is very weak, but the talent of everyone was superb. The casting seemed a bit dull which when added to a very weak story just sinks the boat.

Add to that, the special effects are supposed to feel real, but it just seemed to put scenes inside a closet.

1.5 of 4

A Perfect Murder the 1998 version with Michael Douglas and the still delicious Gwyneth Paltrow. A business man becomes aware of his wife's adultery, he pays her lover, a former conmam, to help commit the perfect murder and inherit her personal fortune.

It's not as good as the original, but still riveting viewing.

8/10

Back
Top Bottom