• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Pearl.
8/10

This one is a really good combo of drama and horror. Good story, good actors, well written, and beautifully shot, this movie rightfully draws the ire of horror fans towards awards committees who very rarely take horror seriously.

It's the prequel to X, but I haven't seen X yet---and you don't need to see it to enjoy Pearl. It's one of those movies with a lot of subtext so you can see something new or different on rewatch.

Highly recommended.

The Northman
7.5/10

It's a great looking film that was made with a lot of care. All the actors are great.
It's a viking-epic version of Hamlet, and it doesn't flinch or shy away from the controversies contained therein. And it's clear that the writers, costume designers, etc. all did their homework on this one. While it's not supposed to be a historical piece, the filmmakers took great care in taking history into account.
I also liked that it's a movie-movie. There's something different about films made solely with the cinema in mind and those that are planned for streaming release right away. I didn't see this one in a theater but I wish I would've.

See it if you already haven't.

Wakanda Forever - With Thanos gone, the next phase of Marvel is still setting itself up. A character skipping in and out here and there in the Disney+ series comes out and that continues to grow that branch of the story. Again, I'm ignorant of the comic books, so all of this is new to me.

Generally enjoyed the film, but was under the impression that T'Challa actually trained to be the Black Panther and didn't get all those skills simply by drinking some Purplesaurus Rex. Definitely different having nearly zero whiteness involved in the film. So, there will be a lot of alt-right wokeness about the story.

The "villain" was portrayed well, in my opinion. The story presented a decent backdrop explaining their actions, though it did contain the typical number of holes we come to expect from super hero movies. Also, the work on the DNA model was possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

3 of 4

The Drop, 7/10; Stars Tom Hardy as Bob and James Gandolfini as Marv in a crime drama. The plot revolves around a seedy bar where Chechen gangsters operate a gambling racket. The bar is robbed one night by a couple of robbers. The Chechen gangsters are quite upset by this and order Bob and Marv to get the money back. Bob has rescued an abused Pitbull puppy and the puppy's psycho owner wants it back. The plot is pretty straight forward apart from the Pitbull but the action is slow and the dialogue is often stilted.

Wakanda Forever - With Thanos gone, the next phase of Marvel is still setting itself up. A character skipping in and out here and there in the Disney+ series comes out and that continues to grow that branch of the story. Again, I'm ignorant of the comic books, so all of this is new to me.

Generally enjoyed the film, but was under the impression that T'Challa actually trained to be the Black Panther and didn't get all those skills simply by drinking some Purplesaurus Rex. Definitely different having nearly zero whiteness involved in the film. So, there will be a lot of alt-right wokeness about the story.

The "villain" was portrayed well, in my opinion. The story presented a decent backdrop explaining their actions, though it did contain the typical number of holes we come to expect from super hero movies. Also, the work on the DNA model was possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

3 of 4
Thought the tribute to Boseman at the beginning was done very well. Shuri did have some training, but is more of a scientists, so will rely on the boost from the drink much more than T'Challa did. I'm sure Okoye can get her trained up if she takes the time.

This is also setting up for the Ironheart (Riri Williams) series later this year, and a Wakanda series in the future that will probably center on Okoye.

Yea, just about every super hero comic or movie has a hole of "why didn't you call [x] to help with that?"

3 of 4
Thought the tribute to Boseman at the beginning was done very well. Shuri did have some training, but is more of a scientists, so will rely on the boost from the drink much more than T'Challa did. I'm sure Okoye can get her trained up if she takes the time.
I'm fine with the super strength. It is the gymnastics (and generalized fighting knowledge) that seemed a bit quick to skill.
This is also setting up for the Ironheart (Riri Williams) series later this year, and a Wakanda series in the future that will probably center on Okoye.
I have no idea what any of that is. Look forward to it. :D

I have no idea what any of that is. Look forward to it. :D

Ironheart was the MIT girl who built the suit of armor, and vibranium detector. A super genius who built her own iron man style armor. She gets a 6 episode series later this year.

There is a Wakanda series also in the making. No details, but I'm guessing it will star Okoye, the general who was kicked out for loosing the princess (Shuri) in Boston, but got the blue armor near the end.

I've been reading Marvel comics for about 35 years now (mostly X-Men) so if you have questions I can try to help. :peaceful:

Burn After Reading, 8/10; Released in 2008 and stars George Clooney, Frances McDormand, Brad Pitt, John Malkovich and a slew of well known faces. A Coen brothers movie that has offbeat characters whose lives intersect in rather comical circumstances with very serious consequences. This is a clever, funny movie, well worth a watch.

Arbitrage, 4/10; Stars Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Tim Roth. A wealthy hedge fund manager (Gere) is temporarily using fraudulent means to sell a fund. Under pressure to get the sale done before the fraud come to light he desperately tries to keep his shit together and close the deal as time is running out. He is also having an affair. While out driving with his lover he crashes his car and his lover is killed. He tries to cover this up but a tenacious detective (Roth) is on to him. It's all rather formulaic as the net tightens around his scam and cover up. The ending is terrible and Tim Roth hams it up in a weird accent.

Elvis, 7/10; The 2022 biopic of Elvis Presley as viewed from his manager Colonel Tom Parker, played by Tom Hanks. On the whole, this movie is pretty good but it is very long and I didn't enjoy the first hour because of the way the movie was edited. Lots of short snippets spliced together at quite a fast pace. The movie covers a fair bit about Parker's rise from running carnival promotions to snagging the business manager role of one of most successful solo recording artists in the world. The movie doesn't really go into much detail about the complexities of the Parker/Presley business relationship or much about the demise of Parker after Presley's death. If you are a Presley fan then you will really enjoy it but it is still very entertaining watch even if you are not.

Top Gun: Maverick
7/10
Fun to watch, certainly more realistic than the first, which didn't bother to acknowledge the existence of g-forces. Most of the fighter pilot (excuse me, "aviator") stuff was utter bullshit; just don't watch it with someone who is or was a fighter jock (as I did for TG #1). Glad they included Val Kilmer.

I would have rated it higher if:
they had included George Lucas in the screenplay credits. It's "A New Hope" with F-18s.

Neds, 7/10; A bit of an arthouse movie about an intelligent schoolboy, John McGill living in a rough part of Glasgow, Scotland. John finishes primary school and is getting ready for his move to start high school. The neighborhood is infested with various youth gangs and John's brother Benny is a respected member of one of them. The movie follows John's downward spiral from a nice, quiet, very intelligent youth to vicious, violent thug. The movie has some very good moments and themes in it but the ending is just weird which spoiled it for me.

Death On The Nile, 7/10; An impressive cast takes on this well known Agatha Christie detective story. Directed by Kenneth Branagh the film is well crafted and Branagh takes on the lead role as Hercule Poirot. The movies takes its time developing the many characters and setting the scene for when the murder of Linnet (played by the gorgeous Gal Gadot :love:) occurs. There are many suspects for the crime and Poirot pieces things together before locking all the suspects into one room and laying out the evidence and revealing who murdered Linnet. It is a very entertaining, old fashioned "who done it" murder mystery with a fantastic cast, well worth a watch.

The Forgotten Battle, 8/10; A WWII drama released in 2022 follows the lead up to Battle of the Scheldt in the Netherlands. Apparently this event played an important part of the allied victory over Nazi Germany. The movie has a great storyline, is well directed and has plenty action and drama as the Dutch resistance try to provide vitally important military information from occupied Netherlands to commanders of the allied troops.

The Good Nurse, 6/10; Streaming on Netflix this 2022 crime drama stars Eddie Redmayne as serial killer nurse Charlie Cullen. The movie is based on the true story about Cullen killing off patients and hospital administrators failing to face up to their worst fears. The movie starts off pretty good but drags on for an unnecessarily long time and becomes a bit of a chore to watch. It's a scary thought that Cullen is possibly responsible for scores of deaths of patients he was in charge of. In the end he was found guilty of killing 13 but he has admitted to at least 39 or more.

We Have A Ghost 8/10

Netflix comedy movie. Family moves to an old house. Younger son, who is not getting along with his father, records a ghost in the house. The kid befriends the ghost, while his father sees the video going viral, and starts working out how to make money off of this sudden fame. The ghost can't speak, and has no memories of his life, making it hard to figure out who he is. Oh, and a CIA ghost hunter program is pulled out of mothballs since they now have a verified ghost to hunt.

I enjoyed the film. David Harbor (Stranger Things, Black Widow, Violent Night) does a great job making me laugh while playing a ghost with practically no lines.

All Quiet On The Western Front, 8/10; Released in 2022 and streaming on Netflix this WWI epic brings the horrors of war up close. The story revolves around a small group of German idealist youths joining the army and getting sent to the front lines to fight. They get a rude awakening to say the least. Excellent cinematography sets the scene for bloody battle scenes and drama. Well worth a watch.

The Stranger, 4/10; Streaming on Netflix this Australian production covers the story of the biggest Australian undercover police operation to nail the killer of 13 year old David Morcombe. Mark is an under cover cop in the operation trying to gain the trust of suspect Henry in the hope that Henry will give the police a confession. For the most part this movie is incredibly boring, relying on low lighting and synth music to set scenes and create tension. It doesn't create tension at all, it's just boring. There is a lot of whispered and muffled dialogue when coupled with the Australian accent makes it impossible to understand what is being said. CC is a must. This movie may appeal to a certain audience but it was not for me.

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. ??/10. Xfinity is offering this movie for free for a few days via Showtime streaming. It won a lot of Academy Awards and is pretty highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes. So, I started watching it last night to see what all the hubbub is about. Got about 40 minutes in and its not really doing much for me. I nodded off a little. I noticed there is still more that 2 hours to go, and I'm not sure if its worth going on. Has anyone watched this, and if so, should I stick it out? It started off a bit on the "wokey" side, but that has tempered a bit as it has progressed. :) I'm at the part right after where the IRS agent gets assaulted.

Back
Top Bottom