• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Evil Dead Rise
?/10

I love this series of movies and the Ash vs. Evil Dead series too.

This one though? I don't know.

My TV is only a year old and everything looks great on it, but this movie looked awful. It was so dark that I frequently couldn't tell what the hell was happening; very irritating. But looking at video reviews of the movie, everything is actually pretty clear. So I don't know if it was my TV or the streaming quality or whatever.

Actual Movie Review:

The opening is tacked on, as is the closing, and both were completely unnecessary to the story.

The actual movie in between those parts is often slow, but made up for by great SFX, atmosphere, and solid cast performances. If there was CGI used in this movie, it was fantastic. I found it to be entertaining for the most part, but doesn't add anything that you haven't seen before in an Evil Dead movie. The 2013 remake was excellent, but this one, while earnest, is just okay; still way better than the average horror flick, but also somewhat disappointing.

But as mentioned above, I was consistently irritated at times due to the lighting, which really took me out of the movie. Thus, this one might've been a better experience had I seen it in a theater.

I'll give it a recommend if horror is your thing. If extreme gore is not your thing, then avoid this movie completely.

A Man Called Otto

4/10

I spent the first half hour trying to convince myself that it wasn’t Tom Hanks being a prick to everyone. It didn’t work. The film furiously pushed all the buttons: downsized out of a job, disabled wife, lost pregnancy, black neighbor, trans neighbor, immigrant neighbor, big bad realtor, social media influencer. Felt like I should have had a bingo card.

Antman - Quantumania

An enjoyable film, with some issues that require a substantial serving of salt. The big one being the whole macroscopic at the quantum level issue and all the suits. The villain was interesting. Modok was a bit of an issue too. Felt too forced. Sometimes it felt the movie was stuck between trying too hard to not take itself too seriously, but it wasn't as organic as with the Wombats.

For me 3.25 of 4, but honestly 2.25 of 4. I think this is a stepping stone movie that can be made better by what follows. I love the design they have for Antman who is a pretty ridiculous character, but to be fair, the film was lacking.

Antman - Quantumania

An enjoyable film, with some issues that require a substantial serving of salt. The big one being the whole macroscopic at the quantum level issue and all the suits. The villain was interesting. Modok was a bit of an issue too. Felt too forced. Sometimes it felt the movie was stuck between trying too hard to not take itself too seriously, but it wasn't as organic as with the Wombats.

For me 3.25 of 4, but honestly 2.25 of 4. I think this is a stepping stone movie that can be made better by what follows. I love the design they have for Antman who is a pretty ridiculous character, but to be fair, the film was lacking.
Watching it now. I hate Hope's haircut.

A Man Called Otto, 5/10; Stars Tom Hanks a Otto, a reluctant retiree who is fastidious about the HOA rules in his community. A recent widower who misses his wife, he makes plans to commit suicide. It's an ok movie but, slow and schmaltzy . Chicks will dig it.

I haven't seen that one but would love to talk to someone who had seen both that and the original, A Man Called Ove.

Ove is also a curmudgeon, but sympatico, and never schmaltz.

I'd give it 4/5 for its gentle humour and the subtlety of the reveals.

I haven't seen that one but would love to talk to someone who had seen both that and the original, A Man Called Ove.

I started to watch A Man Called Ove a few months ago, I got about 15 minutes in and bailed mainly because it was subtitled. I think both movies are based on the same book.

I started to watch A Man Called Ove a few months ago, I got about 15 minutes in and bailed mainly because it was subtitled. I think both movies are based on the same book.

One person's schmaltz is another's sentimentality. With some variations for societal differences, Otto and Ove are very much the same movie. It is an off-the-shelf kind of movie as hurtinbuckaroo states with so many oft-used ingredients baked in. Ove less so but then again perhaps this better reflects Swedish society. I don't know. While both movies do lack imagination with some of these typical devices, others I see as being put to good use reflecting US society and aid in dragging along the less open-minded as Hollywood likes to do.

The Tomorrow War
Future Earth is under attack from aliens and losing badly. So they go back in time to collect more fighters. One of them must contend with his past to protect the future.

6/10. I gave it an extra point for the twists and JK Simmons physique. He may be an old fart but he's definitely got some guns.

The Exception, 5/10; A WWII era drama, stars Jai Courtney, Lily James, Christopher Plummer and a very brief appearance from Eddie Marsan. Kaiser Wilhelm is living in exile in Nazi occupied Netherlands. A German officer, Brandt is assigned to head up the personal security of the former Kaiser. Brandt is instructed not to fraternize with the staff. He immediately starts shagging one of the maids, Mieke (Lily James). Meanwhile, there are a couple of allied forces spies operating in the vicinity and German security are closing in on them. Mieke is obviously one of the spies but Brandt tries to protect her when the Germans start to close in. It's a flat, steady paced movie that isn't particularly entertaining. There is a terrible scene where Lily James and Jai Courtney are both naked. The movie could have done without that, totally unnecessary.

10 Cloverfield Lane, 7/10; Basically a cast of three, John Goodman, John Gallagher Jr and Mary Elizabeth Winstead the movie takes place on a single set. The movie opens with Michelle packing up a suitcase and leaving a house and setting off down a rural road at night. She's driving along and suddenly her car leaves the road and rolls over several times. She wakes up in the bunker of a doomsday prepper Howard. She is chained to the wall and assumes she is a kidnap victim. Howard tells her there has been some kind of attack, Russians, Martians who knows. and the air outside is contaminated and she can't leave or she will die. There is also one other person in the Bunker, Emmitt, who kind of corroborates Howards story but Michelle remains skeptical and wants to escape. This was a pretty decent suspense, thriller, horror that worked well. Worth a watch.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - Man, in general, I have enjoyed the previous films post End Game. This one along with Dr. Strange were among the tops, and this one was just epic in size. Ridiculous emotional manipulation, and a particular name drop that got me to whoop in the theater. The last hour felt like ten days, and you are thinking it is about to end, but it just keeps riding on top of the wave. There were some typical action film plot holes, but overall, extremely enjoyable. Not for sensitive children!!!

3.5 of 4

Spartacus, 7/10; The 1960, Stanley Kubrick epic, remastered. A long list of stars including Tony Curtis, Peter Ustinov and Kirk Douglas in the lead role which is only fair since it was his movie. It has been a long time since I have seen this movie and it was not as good as I fondly remembered. It seems dated and a bit cheesy but never the less, it's still quite entertaining. I think these epics are best viewed on the big screen to appreciate the scope of the scenes. The acting performances are flawless and Peter Ustinov shines as Batiatus.

Low expectations going in and I was still unable to get past the 45 minute mark or so.

When a movie makes this much money, I tend to think there must be something to it. But nah, it's just a terrible movie with a ton of money and technology behind it. It may sound like I didn't give it much of a chance, but I wanted to shut this one down after just 15 minutes. The story is so unoriginal, so uninspired; the characters are cardboard cutouts. The dialogue is cringeworthy as well.

I really try to stay away from unsophisticated/simplistic quips, but this movie is truly yet another "The White man is here to save you" film and all the burnt out bullshit that goes with films of this type. With a smaller budget this flick is MST3K worthy. Hell, it might be worthy anyway.

2/10

Low expectations going in and I was still unable to get past the 45 minute mark or so.

When a movie makes this much money, I tend to think there must be something to it. But nah, it's just a terrible movie with a ton of money and technology behind it. It may sound like I didn't give it much of a chance, but I wanted to shut this one down after just 15 minutes. The story is so unoriginal, so uninspired; the characters are cardboard cutouts. The dialogue is cringeworthy as well.

I really try to stay away from unsophisticated/simplistic quips, but this movie is truly yet another "The White man is here to save you" film and all the burnt out bullshit that goes with films of this type. With a smaller budget this flick is MST3K worthy. Hell, it might be worthy anyway.

2/10
I got about 15 minutes in and the screen froze. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Watching Elton John's Farewell Concert At Dodgers Stadium.

Available on Hulu and Disney +.

His voice is certainly not what it used to be but actually seemed to get better as the concert progressed. No one can challenge his piano chops though. He walks around stage like the old man he is and the rest of the band are not far from the assisted living homes too. That said, it was a very fun concert to watch. So many of the crowd came in outlandish costumes like Elton used to wear, you never got tired of the crowd shots. One guy even proposed at the concert.

And he actually brought Bernie Taupin on stage to honor him.
9/10

2/10
*waiting for the Rifftrax*

Matrix Resurrections
1/10

The only saving grace of this piece of crud is that it makes Matrix 2 and 3 seem like decent movies in comparison. The first ninety minutes is just rehashing of the original, with repeated footage. The plot makes even less sense. It's all really meta and self-referential, and instead of any kind of philosophy, there's now Merovingian going on a tirade how movies used to be better and something about Mark Zuckerberg. The ending makes no sense. The beginning makes no sense. And the middle... ok you get the idea.

Wonder Woman 84
6/10
The sequel to Wonder Woman franchise got bad reviews for some reason, but it's really not any worse than the first one. A simple action movie, nothing special about it, but it's not bad, especially for young people who don't know any better. Reminds me a lot about dumb 80s movies that don't take themselves too seriously.

Dual
8/10

In the near future, if you are about to die, you can get yourself cloned first so your family and friends have someone to fill the empty space. The movie is about a woman, who finds out she has a terminal disease, and goes through the process of duplicating herself. But then she gets better, and by law, has to fight the clone to the death.

WW84 was too long, a movie that forgot it was a comic book movie. It takes itself too seriously and not seriously enough in about all the wrong ways. Wonder Woman (thanks to Gal Gadot's managing of the character) is about the only viable DC super hero at the moment. But the movies around her have been so silly. The whole premise of '84 was silly, the main villain was just annoying, the invocation of his son seemed so lazy and poorly written, the resolution was as ridiculous as the climatic villain act.

WW84 was too long, a movie that forgot it was a comic book movie. It takes itself too seriously and not seriously enough in about all the wrong ways. Wonder Woman (thanks to Gal Gadot's managing of the character) is about the only viable DC super hero at the moment. But the movies around her have been so silly. The whole premise of '84 was silly, the main villain was just annoying, the invocation of his son seemed so lazy and poorly written, the resolution was as ridiculous as the climatic villain act.
Well I'm too old to enjoy superhero movies, but I tried to watch it through the eyes of 10-year old me who thought Superman 3 was cool. And I do think WW84 is at least on par with the first WW movie. Silly plot, magic and gods, Gal Gadot posing in front of a green screen.

Back
Top Bottom