• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

It's ridiculous. It's insane. It's Weird! And it's pretty damn funny.

7/10

About every 5 years I watch V for Vendetta.

Last night I was able to introduce a friend to it.

Narrowly missed having to watch johnny Mnemonic.

Grumpy Cat Xmas - *sigh* I suppose it was a mixed blessing that the freezers ice maker was frozen up and I had an excuse to step out... oftenly. This Lifetime... whatever you want to call it... was a typical useless film that inserted the viral sensation Grumpy Cat to make it a viral 'success'. My daughter liked it. And the film seemed odd at points, sometimes becoming self aware of itself. And then had odd banter exchange between the two goons / rock musicians arguing about Gary Cherone's contribution to Van Halen?

This film screams Rifftrax, but it always would suggest as such. It is produced better than A Talking Cat?! however, that is a low bar. Filmed almost exclusively at a mall after hours And includes probably not the guy from The Fugitive they asked casting to sign for the film.

It does contain two or three smirking moments, maybe a couple other pieces of bewilderment. However, that won't manage to help people deal with this ridiculous piece of garbage revolving around the theft of a typical dog being sold for $1 million.

0.5 of 4

Die Hard, 10/10; A great action movie starring Bruce Willis at the top of his game. Also stars the wonderful Alan Rickman.
My favorite Christmas movie!

"Welcome to the party, pal!"
What are some other good Christmas movies? Not the smarmy heartstrings puller schlock.

Christmas Vacation

Office Christmas Party

Home Alone

Others?

Die Hard, 10/10; A great action movie starring Bruce Willis at the top of his game. Also stars the wonderful Alan Rickman.

What are some other good Christmas movies? Not the smarmy heartstrings puller schlock.

Christmas Vacation

Office Christmas Party

Home Alone

Others?
Batman Returns was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Had a crappy VHS tape and used to watch it every Christmas, multiple times.

Rare Exports.

Is Gremlins 2 a Christmas movie? Wikipedia plot summary says it's set near Christmas but I'm not sure I recall any particular christmassy things about it. A fun family movie regardless.

RRR. I don't know whether to give this movie a 0 or a 10. "Over the top" is an understatement. This extreme bromance melted my face for three hours. It is a story of unapologetic toxic masculinity complete with violence, rescuing a damsel, and an unlimited buffet of ripped chests, explosions, and the deadly sexy glares of men pushed to the point of slow motion unleashing of their inner Hulk on some sadistic colonialist oppressors. (Spoiler alert! The colonialist oppressors totally deserved it.) The two main characters, both heroes, alternate between unbreakable brodude friendship and trying to kill each other, often in a dance off situation. Edit: I realize that what I call toxic masculinity is not seen as such by the filmmakers and the place/culture they come from.

I honestly don't know what to think of this movie, but I recommend watching in one sitting on your biggest screen with your best speakers/headphones. It's like the greatest bad movie I've ever seen or the worst great film. I think it all washes out to greatness of some kind, just not any kind I've ever seen. Edit: and it has received some awards and nominations.

Christmas Vacation

Office Christmas Party

Home Alone

Others?
A Christmas Story

Violent Night has been added to my Christmas lineup

Christmas Vacation

Office Christmas Party

Home Alone

Others?

Movies I can rewatch are few. None of them have a Christmas theme. I would just watch old favorites.

Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire, Master and Commander, Barfly, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Band of Brothers.

Though Barfly always had a Christmas vibe to me. Might be the abject loneliness of the movie.

There are some really good Christmas movies I watch with the family. Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost In New York. Elf, Christmas With The Kranks and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. And of course Die Hard.

RRR. I don't know whether to give this movie a 0 or a 10. "Over the top" is an understatement. This extreme bromance melted my face for three hours. It is a story of unapologetic toxic masculinity complete with violence, rescuing a damsel, and an unlimited buffet of ripped chests, explosions, and the deadly sexy glares of men pushed to the point of slow motion unleashing of their inner Hulk on some sadistic colonialist oppressors. (Spoiler alert! The colonialist oppressors totally deserved it.) The two main characters, both heroes, alternate between unbreakable brodude friendship and trying to kill each other, often in a dance off situation. Edit: I realize that what I call toxic masculinity is not seen as such by the filmmakers and the place/culture they come from.

I honestly don't know what to think of this movie, but I recommend watching in one sitting on your biggest screen with your best speakers/headphones. It's like the greatest bad movie I've ever seen or the worst great film. I think it all washes out to greatness of some kind, just not any kind I've ever seen. Edit: and it has received some awards and nominations.
I thought it was a pirate movie.

Christmas Vacation

Office Christmas Party

Home Alone

Others?
Batman Returns was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Had a crappy VHS tape and used to watch it every Christmas, multiple times.

Rare Exports.

Is Gremlins 2 a Christmas movie? Wikipedia plot summary says it's set near Christmas but I'm not sure I recall any particular christmassy things about it. A fun family movie regardless.
Both Gremlins movies are set near Christmas. The first one more ostensibly so.

We watched "Undercover Brother", the other day, which we've already seen way too many times. Although this movie would be harshly criticized by those who are overly sensitive about satirical comedy, it's one of the funniest movies from the early oughts imo. It satirizes every Black and White racial stereotype, sexual stereotypes, as well as all types of actions movies, including martial arts and space movies. It reminds me of some of Mel Brooks movies, although Brooks didn't make it. And, some overly sensitive people would be bothered by Chappelle being one of the characters. But if you aren't offended by satirical comedy and you enjoy silly, comedy, this movie will make you laugh. I'm just glad that I'm not easily offended or I'd miss out on a lot of comedy, especially some from years ago.

Smile
6.5/10

Good tension, tried and true premise, and mostly well executed. It does go on a little too long in an okay, we get it kind of way, but overall it's a solid horror movie. That's usually not saying much, but you could do a lot worse if you're in the mood for a scary movie.

Smile
6.5/10

Good tension, tried and true premise, and mostly well executed. It does go on a little too long in an okay, we get it kind of way, but overall it's a solid horror movie. That's usually not saying much, but you could do a lot worse if you're in the mood for a scary movie.
The commercials look extremely creepy.

Bless the Beasts & Children (1971), 8/10
A story about a group of misift boys who escape their "cowboy" summer camp in the middle of the night to free a buffalo herd that they had seen getting slaughtered (i.e "thinning the herd") by a bunch of rednecks in an earlier camp field trip. Lots of adventures on their little excursion, along with flashbacks to their conflicts with their parents. Stars Billy Mumy of Lost in Space fame ("Danger, Will Robinson!) as a long haired little punk who can pick locks and hot wire cars. Lots of scenes with the boys running around in their tighty-whities that likely wouldn't fly today. I last saw this movie (edited for TV) back in late '70's, and we read the novel for a 7th grade reading assignment. Definitely worth a watch. Free on Tubi.

The Father.

You're never entirely sure if he's being gaslighted or if he's losing it. I vote for option A, which makes it a little scarier.

Nicely done. 4/5

Back
Top Bottom