• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Civil War, 5/10; Stars Kirsten Dunst (and her husband Jesse Plemons also makes an appearance) as a reporter making her way to the Whitehouse during some sort of USA civil war/coup/secession shenanigans. Her and her team have to cross the USA covering the "civil war" and capture the violence going on as two factions go at it, federal army and rebel militants. Despite the scenes that have some action, the movie is ponderous and quite boring. There is some tension brought to the fore when a couple of the team fall into the hands of militants but other than that, the movie was ho-hum.

I assumed the scenario was that, as per a long-held Democratic fantasy, Texas turned blue, thus making it impossible to electorally challenge the Party. It is easy to imagine a conservative uprising were that to occur.
I thought something along the same lines, and I suppose they could've done a different alliance e.g. the west coast and the northeast, but the movie still works really well. There's a hint that it's left against right during one scene, at least that's what I gleaned from it, but it does an excellent job of not being preachy, which is a pet peeve of mine. I don't want to be pandered to, even by my own side.

Longlegs

There was a big buildup for this one, so that horror film community was excited about it.

It was okay and establishes a good atmosphere, but rather than being naturally creepy, it was trying way too hard, which made a lot of it feel forced and therefore inauthentic. It was like the filmmakers watched Silence of the Lambs and then tried to combine it with Frailty (an excellent film). It has its good points, but I did too much eye rolling and groaning to recommend it.

If you like horror, it's better than most horror movies, but considering that most horror movies suck, that's not saying much.

5/10

Longlegs

There was a big buildup for this one, so that horror film community was excited about it.

It was okay and establishes a good atmosphere, but rather than being naturally creepy, it was trying way too hard, which made a lot of it feel forced and therefore inauthentic. It was like the filmmakers watched Silence of the Lambs and then tried to combine it with Frailty (an excellent film). It has its good points, but I did too much eye rolling and groaning to recommend it.

If you like horror, it's better than most horror movies, but considering that most horror movies suck, that's not saying much.

5/10
I watched the trailer on YT. Most of the comments were quite positive about the movie.

Longlegs

5/10
I watched the trailer on YT. Most of the comments were quite positive about the movie.
My educated guess on this is that the horror crowd will praise any horror movie that is above absolutely terrible.

Horror is my go-to. I've loved it since I was a kid. When I'm looking for something to watch, I look for horror. That's how I know that most horror films are just bad movies, regardless of genre. Thus, when a movie like Longlegs comes along that's a solid cut above most other horror flicks, it's like getting a reasonably decent hotdog after having nothing to eat but meal worms for the last 6 months.

7 Psychopaths.
Never saw it before. I like that kind of story telling.
Walken's I don't want to bit was classic.
7.5/10

Back
Top Bottom