• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Pulp Fiction - Film consisting of outrageous content that somehow, by the ending, fits like a glove. This film isn't for everyone and I could have lived without the drug involvement, but otherwise, this film proves, "You can do Blazing Saddles again"... if you are good enough.

Wakanda Forever - A film about loss and coping with loss, particularly as an agnostic/atheist. This film is a lot better than some give it credit for.

The Sting - A really good film about a con. Brilliantly written and well acted. How in the heck it won 7 Oscars, though, seems a bit much. Granted, most of them were minor ones. Thank goodness Lemmon won best actor for Save the Tiger.

The Bridge 2006
A documentary about jumpers off the Golden Gate.
Mostly interviews with Family, friends and jumpers.
Interspersed with long distance footage (from the shore) of people walking along the railing, looking over the railing, etc.
But they were at it long enough to film 5 jumpers climb over the railing and jump; 2 rescues; and one person change their mind and climb back to the safe side.
I always assumed people jumped at night. But these were during the day.
If you are depressed, don't watch this.
I won't rate it, skipped through most of the interviews.

The Beekeeper: as much as I might typically enjoy Jason Statham kicking ass, I couldn't really get into this. I didn't finish the movie, because I just kind of stopped caring what would happen.

The Fly (1986)

I rewatched this one for the umpteenth time to see if it still holds up. It does. This time what I noticed the most is that there isn't an ounce of fat in the movie. Every scene advances the plot and the expository dialogue is minimal yet pointed. Overall, the film does a great job of showing and not telling.

There are a couple of dated scenes, but they detract very little from the movie.

Horror Scale: 9/10
Non-horror Scale: 7/10

The Fly (1986)

I rewatched this one for the umpteenth time to see if it still holds up. It does. This time what I noticed the most is that there isn't an ounce of fat in the movie. Every scene advances the plot and the expository dialogue is minimal yet pointed. Overall, the film does a great job of showing and not telling.

There are a couple of dated scenes, but they detract very little from the movie.

Horror Scale: 9/10
Non-horror Scale: 7/10
And includes the great movie line "Be afraid. Be very afraid."

Talk to Me

It's about a demonic hand thingy, where, if you say just a couple of magic words, demons appear and potentially possess the sayer of the words. Horror ensues.

There's lots of background missing on the hand thingy (who, where, what, when, why). The movie just kind of skips over that, likely hoping for a sequel to reveal that part.

However, it still manages to be entertaining. The young actors, and the entire cast for that matter is pretty damn good, and the special effects are exceptional. It also establishes a really good, creepy atmosphere, and it's well paced.

Horror film scale: 6.5/10
Non-horror scale: 6.5/10

The identical ratings are a result of it being a solid watch regardless of genre.

Titane

This is an odd and uncomfortable watch.

It's easy to spoil, so I won't get into any details, except to say this: don't ever have sex with a car.

Anyway, it's an artsy kind of film that is the complete opposite of irritating movies that spoon feed the viewer and hit them over the head with its themes. It's obscure to the point of aggravation. Also, the pacing is painful. The opening scene wastes no time, the second scene keeps that pace, and the third scene reminded me of a frenetically paced Taratino flick.

The rest is a painful, often perplexing, although sometimes intriguing slog. Cutting a good 20-30 minutes would've helped this film immensely. However, even had the movie been cut down to an acceptable run time, the payoff at the end isn't worth watching everything that came before it.

It's very different and has more artistic merit than most films, so that bumps up my ratings.

Horror Scale: 7/10
Non-Horror Scale: 5/10

2010: The Year We Make Contact.

The sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Of course, it can't hold a candle to Kubrick's masterpiece, but it is actually a pretty good movie, and (IIRC) a good adaptation of the book. The film is a product of it's time - with a sub-plot about a conflict between the US and the Soviet Union ramping up as the Russian space ship heads out to Jupiter - but the cast is great, the acting is solid, and somehow Helen Mirren is in there and not the center of attention for the entire film.

And there's some other oddities, like why Dr. Chandra is a white guy rather than an Indian, but overall it is a decent film.

Altitude
Not impressive.

An airliner is hijacked because a macguffin's aboard. The dialog, acting, and plot weren't memorable, so what I mostly remember is the fights.

The fights suggest a rationalization like this: "Our hero is played by someone un-athletic, and we haven't budgeted a stand-in, so let's toss an out-of-focus camera around. Then, when our hero is still standing when the camera calms down and regains focus, the audience will understand that she won the fight."

One fight went like this: A villain put her fingers on a guy's head. She didn't stress or strain; she just put her fingers on him. The guy then turned his head a bit, and the Foley cart made a neck-breaking noise.

Back
Top Bottom