• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Exceptional Beings (2023)
Exceptionally pretentious, exceptionally boring.
Starts with a bogus premise, That the gods made a pact to remain myths, unseen, to protect humanity from the burden of striving for godhood (or something).
Bogus because most of humanity believes the myths are reality. Never thought they were myths (unless they are someone else's myths). Only recently recognized as myths, and only by some.
'Exceptional Beings' takes it's 'Don't-look-behind-the-curtan' premise too seriously. It is no fun. Poorly acted, cheap, stupid FX. Too much pretentious dialog. (well, they are gods, so maybe that fits).
In short: Not entertaining at all. 2/10

A Prayer Before Dawn, 4/10; Stars Joe Cole (Peaky Blinders) in the story of Liverpool boxer Bill Moore who is sent to a Thai prison. There is no back story to the main character Billy Moore, the movie opens with his apartment being raided by police and he is in possession of drugs and a gun. He is sentenced to three years in a filthy, overcrowded, extremely violent and corrupt Thai prison. Surrounded by violent gangsters and equally violent prison guards Billy resorts to using hardcore drugs to escape the brutal conditions. In order to get slightly better conditions he joins the prison Muay Thai/boxing club and starts training to compete. This is not an entertaining film and was quite a chore to watch. The themes are brutal and dark. There isn't a lot of dialogue and what there is is in Thai so you won't understand it. Joe Cole's performance is top tier and filming is pretty good but this movie is for the buffs.

Last edited:
The Fall Guy

The story of a stuntman being set up to be the "fall guy" for a murder committed by a huge Hollywood action star.

It's not going to win any rewards but it was a fun movie to watch. 7.5/10.

God Bless America, 6/10; Streaming on Kanopy, this is a Bobcat Goldthwait black comedy production. A bit like Natural Born Killers and Falling Down. A middle manager type divorcee gets fired from his job for dubious reasons, starts to seethe at the bullshit American culture, useless celebrities, reality tv shows, bad mannered and entitled louts. Joined by a quirky teenage girl they both embark on a killing spree culminating in going out in a blaze of glory on live tv at the grand finale of an American Idol type tv show that he hates. Some funny bits and pieces but this could have been done as an extended SNL live sketch.

Freaks V.S. the Reich (2021) Italian, subtitled. AKA Freaks Out
4 circus freaks are captured by Nazis in WWII Rome.
They kick ass. Well made. I saw it on Tubi. 8/10

trailer

Freaks V.S. the Reich (2021) Italian, subtitled. AKA Freaks Out
4 circus freaks are captured by Nazis in WWII Rome.
They kick ass. Well made. I saw it on Tubi. 8/10

trailer
Interesting reviews on RT:

“Like a Del Toro-esque carnival of the macabre filtered through the greasy lens of a VHS bargain bin exploitation B-movie, it’s so far over the top, it might as well have been filmed from space.”

Ken Burns Ben Franklin.
Great as are all his firms.
I did not know about his son William.
A Brit till the end!
9/10

Proximity on Prime. -10/10

Seems like a B movie, which I try to be nice to in my judgments of them because that's how people get experience in filmaking, acting, anything related. So they don't necessarily have to be great.

But this one is so bad, y'all. And then there the kicker at the end that just plummets the stupidity. You'll break your orbital sockets from eye rolling so hard. The wanking motion is a safer alternative.

Anyway, tired, unoriginal, trite, tropey, uninspired. It's a mediocre version of the most hackneyed bits of alien abduction lore.

I kept thinking it would get better, that there will be a clever twist, but nope. Almost quit watching from boredom and I'm so glad I didn't because
Not that anyone would give a shit if this movie's "clever twist" was spoiled for them. But anyway, the aliens are good aliens and they're only visiting humans for one reason. They terrorize their way into the house where the stupid white people were hanging out. One of them had been waiting for this moment all his life and I guess that is how they gloss over the "translation machine" he made that miraculously understands the aliens' clicks and burps.

So anyhoo, the alien species scienced their asses off until they learned everything there was to know about the universe. And yet, they were still so unfulfilled!!!!11!! So they came to earth to find one single man who they said was "connected to the universe's origins" or some shit. Nobody cares. Anyway, the man was Jesus. How they would know about an Earth myth is anyone's guess. The movie doesn't give a shit if it's obvious and stupid. Doesn't matter. Because Jesus.

Anyway, all the humans were in awe. Some might have had tears in their eyes. I don't know. Who cares?

The only thing this movie is good for is to show that religion ruins everything, even already ruined movies.

Not a movie seen but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Denis Villenueve of The Arrival, Bladerunner 2049, and the new Dune movies has announced he's starting work on making AC Clarke's Rendezvous With Rama into a movie.

I know it's not one of Clarke's best novels but I've been waiting for it to be made into a movie since I was a teen.

Civil War

My expectations for this movie were rock bottom. California and Texas are allies? Sure fuckin' thing. The summary sounded like a "both sides" line of bullshit.

But instead, it turned out to be a damn good movie. The alliances don't really matter. Instead, photo journalists cover the ongoing war in all its brutality just like they would any other war, so the focus isn't on politics at all. Instead it provides a pretty credible assessment of what any war within the U.S. would look like.

I suppose I could nitpick things like how this all happened in the first place, but again, it doesn't really matter. It's well written, acted, and filmed.

8/10

I assumed the scenario was that, as per a long-held Democratic fantasy, Texas turned blue, thus making it impossible to electorally challenge the Party. It is easy to imagine a conservative uprising were that to occur.

Proximity on Prime. -10/10
Didn't see it. But I want to ask, Why is there so much christian science-fiction? Christians don't understand science and they don't recognize fiction when they read it. So their attempts always come out stupid.
starting work on making AC Clarke's Rendezvous With Rama into a movie.
How far along are they? I heard about this 2 years ago, have they actually started filming yet?

How far along are they? I heard about this 2 years ago, have they actually started filming yet?
Nope. Still working on the script. probably be another year if not two before it hits the bigs screen.

Hitman 7.5

This is a dramedy based on a true character: a professor who moonlights with the police as a fake hitman to capture people hiring killers. Its set in New Orleans.

On Netflix.

Hitman 7.5

This is a dramedy based on a true character: a professor who moonlights with the police as a fake hitman to capture people hiring killers. Its set in New Orleans.

On Netflix.

I watched it too.

I'm not facile with numerical ratings, so I'll just say this: It's good enough that I happily watched the whole thing. It's not good enough to watch again or recommend to other people.

Nope. Still working on the script. probably be another year if not two before it hits the bigs screen.
That should read "Biggs Crean", after J. Bigglesworth Crean III, who in 1896 invented the silver lenticular screen onto which movies were projected.

Probably.

Back
Top Bottom