• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Red State

8/10

It's about a crazy gun nut church out to punish homosexuals and sinners, kidnapping three teenagers and keeping the captive. The plot synopsis sounds like something from a boring Lifetime movie, but don't be fooled: it's written and directed by Kevin Smith so trust me, it will have a twist ending. (My only regret is that it could have been even twistier.)

Due Date starring Zack Galifianakis [who is brilliant in this role] and Robert Downey Jr as the serious sidekick. An expectant father is forced to hitch a ride with an aspiring actor on a cross country road trip. [2010]

In similar vein as the John Candy Steve Martin movie Plane, Trains and Automobile I rate both these films a high of 8/10

I saw "Grand Budapest Hotel" and absolutely hated it. It is without a doubt the most pretentious example of a pretentious genre. It is so pretentious that within 2 minutes of the start, the film declares its writer a 'national treasure' worthy of being read by awestruck youths in the shadow of the author's cenotaph. Sadly, the pretentiousness does not decline from there.

Like most movies of this genre, it is beautifully shot, with superb sets, art direction, and costumes. It is an informative film in that it establishes once and for all that these things cannot carry a movie. It is a 'dramedy,' in that it is not funny enough to be a comedy, and lacks the emotional weight of a drama. All characters and events are robbed of any weight by the sheer number of silly, contrived flourishes. It, of course, is wistful. Wist permeates the film, like most of the films like it. So much wist. Not every goddamn movie needs to be about how it sucks to get old and how things used to be better in the good old days, when rich aristocrats were supported by hives of servants, and vast business enterprises reaped huge profits from catering to wealthy, idle hypochondriacs. Indeed, that is a definite analogy to the film itself, who's modern malaise is analogous to the folks who were into spa culture of the 19th century.

Also, ridiculously padded. At 1 hr 47, it seemed much longer than it needed to be, with nearly every sequence going much longer than they needed to, only for the non-payoff of one of the characters finally losing his temper and yelling 'get on with it.' Not to director, if your lousy pacing is the punchline, it probably isn't funny. Any tension the movie may have had is robbed by these overlong, self-indulgent sequences.

Oh god, I can't tell you how much I hated this movie. 1/10 /10

I watched The History of The Eagles over the weekend.

A lot of stuff I knew...like the fact that the band grew out of Linda Rondstadt's band, that Jackson Browne was an early friend and collaborator, and that it was country star Travis Tritt who eventually brought them back together after their breakup.

A lot of stuff I didn't know...like the fact that Bob Seger took Glenn Frey under his wing early on, and that they hired Timothy Schmidt without even playing with him first.

The movie was a bit long, but well done overall. The Eagles were a great band, but after watching this I don't think I'd want to hang out with them. Well except maybe Joe Walsh.

Didn't Joe Walsh go solo for a period of time?

Joe Walsh was actually a solo artist after he left the James Gang, and before he joined the Eagles, and went solo again after the Eagles split (just like most of the rest of the band). His hit "Rocky Mountain Way" was recorded during the time he went solo between the James Gang, and the Eagles.

Deep Rising

brain off 8/10.
Brain on 2/10

Makes no sense. The monster is well made a jumpy. Good movie for date night if you want an excuse to snuggle

Wallace and Gromit - Curse of the Were Rabbit

Halloween time, so it is customary to watch this film that takes a knock on many monster films. Movies don't get better than this for me. It hits a homerun for adults and children alike. A really good cast, this Oscar winning feature is a must see.

4 of 4

Deep Rising

brain off 8/10.
Brain on 2/10

Makes no sense. The monster is well made a jumpy. Good movie for date night if you want an excuse to snuggle

Absolutely one of my all-time favorite B-movies.

Love it. I watch it often.

The Sea Hawk

9.5/10

This swashbuckling, romantic adventure was the type of film that was Errol Flynn's bread-and-butter, and it's just a hairs-breadth behind The Adventures of Robin Hood as Flynn's best film. Flynn is at his charismatic best as the lead character, modeled loosely on Sir Francis Drake. Brenda Marshall is a radiant leading lady, while Henry Daniell plays a suitably oily villain who, of course, obligingly loses the big duel with Flynn in the final reel. Claude Rains does a nice job in a more sympathetic role than his Prince John in Robin Hood. The action scenes are quite exciting, even today, and everything happens to the accompaniment of one of Erich Wolfgang Korngold's finest scores.

Since it's Halloween one of the local TV networks decided to repeat the often repeated Friday The 13th. [2009] A group discover a boarded up Camp Crystal Lake ehere they encounter Jason and his deadly intentions. There were many imitations of this flick which itself is no masterpiece of horror. 5.5/10

Book of Life - 9/10 - The imagery was phenomenal, just a joy to watch. The story was cute and captivating with typical kid moral but overall I loved this movie. It also motivated my 12 year old daughter to actually look up and study much of the history and traditions behind the Day of the Dead celebration. It will definitely be one of my holiday favorites going forward.

Dragon Day 8/10

So what happens when we tell China fuck you, we ain't paying it back?

Real good story, very imaginative. A low budget film but I didn't mind. The movie is a conspiracy theorist's wet-dream but I'm thinking many here might find it enjoyable.
I had to pick it up at the local rental store. It's not available from Amazon.

Rewatched Dead Alive by Peter Jackson and it is still an awesome low budget movie

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
6/10
Jim Carrey pretty much carries this movie
And if you like his style and comedy then you should do alright with this movie
If you don't then this porbably won't be for you
I still found it funny enough and enjoyed a stroll down memory lane (I used to watch this movie when I was a kid)

Addams Family Values
6/10
So pretty much everything involving Christina Ricci in this movie is awesome
The best performance, the best lines and the best jokes are all hers
The other plotline.....not quite as strong
If they had just done the B plot more this movie could have been great
But the weaker plot kinda holds this back a bit

Key Largo (1948)

Bogart plays a noble man with a moment's weakness. Bacall is pretty. Barrymore is cranky.

But Edward G Robinson rules the movie. Even within the restraints of the era, Robinson is oily, perverse and repulsive.

Great close-ups of that pasty, flabby face of his.

7/10

Key Largo (1948)

Bogart plays a noble man with a moment's weakness. Bacall is pretty. Barrymore is cranky.

But Edward G Robinson rules the movie. Even within the restraints of the era, Robinson is oily, perverse and repulsive.

Great close-ups of that pasty, flabby face of his.

7/10

"Rocko? Johnny Rocko?"

Great movie.

Addams Family Values
6/10
So pretty much everything involving Christina Ricci in this movie is awesome
The best performance, the best lines and the best jokes are all hers
The other plotline.....not quite as strong
If they had just done the B plot more this movie could have been great
But the weaker plot kinda holds this back a bit

Gomez [toasting]: To love.
Morticia: To passion.
Gomez: To pain.
Morticia: Tonight.

Cowboys And Aliens The title doesn't give this film much credit where credit is due. I quite enjoyed it, besides I can watch Harrison Ford in anything. Can a bunch of cowboys defeat a vastly superior technology? Watch the film and find out. 7/5/10

Drums Along the Mohawk

7.5/10

John Ford's first film in color--and lovely, Oscar-nominated Technicolor it is--is sort of an 18th century Western. Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert are the brave young settler couple trying to survive the hazards of life in the Mohawk Valley during the Revolutionary War, with plenty of help from Ford regulars like Ward Bond, Arthur Shields, Russell Simpson, and of course Francis Ford. Although not really among the director's classics, it's one of Ford's most sentimental films, with some very powerful and visually striking scenes.

Lucky Them 1/10

One point because I didn't turn it off.
I waited and waited for this movie to have a point. Nope. None to be found. I thought surely there is something here. It almost seems like it is intentionally bad as to make a point. Well, it's lost on me. All I got out of it was a flick trying very hard to be cool.
Want to see Toni Collette scrunch her nose? Watch this movie. Want to see Thomas Hayden Church doing whatever it is he does? Again, watch this movie. At least you were somewhat funny in Sideways. You suck here. And wait til you see who gets the role of Matthew Smith. Oh perfect.
Like watching two hours of Friends.

Back
Top Bottom