• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Home (2009) 10/10 if you use your own sound track. 5/10 if you suffer through their stupid sound track.

A beautifully filmed documentary about our planet, evolution of life and the human impact on the planet. There's quite a lot of environmentalist alarmist bullshit. It always endlessly yammer on about the world's inequalities. And as usual they say that a quarter of the world's population lives in poverty and then film people who live in what's basically stone age conditions, and then pretend like that is representative of the world's poor people. As if Hans Rosling never happened. There are genuine problems in the world. It makes me sad to see alarmist environmentalists exaggerate and lie about the problems. I recommend watching it, but turn off the sound track for all the reasons I just mentioned. Play your own bombastic score instead. Some Michael Nyman, Ligeti, Aarto Pärt or Philip Glass. It'll make this film awesome. A reasonably scientifically schooled person will be able to figure out what is happening in each scene anyway. You don't need to have it explained.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014762/?ref_=nm_knf_i1

Home (2009) 10/10 if you use your own sound track. 5/10 if you suffer through their stupid sound track.

A beautifully filmed documentary about our planet, evolution of life and the human impact on the planet. There's quite a lot of environmentalist alarmist bullshit. It always endlessly yammer on about the world's inequalities. And as usual they say that a quarter of the world's population lives in poverty and then film people who live in what's basically stone age conditions, and then pretend like that is representative of the world's poor people. As if Hans Rosling never happened. There are genuine problems in the world. It makes me sad to see alarmist environmentalists exaggerate and lie about the problems. I recommend watching it, but turn off the sound track for all the reasons I just mentioned. Play your own bombastic score instead. Some Michael Nyman, Ligeti, Aarto Pärt or Philip Glass. It'll make this film awesome. A reasonably scientifically schooled person will be able to figure out what is happening in each scene anyway. You don't need to have it explained.

Are you kidding?

I wish most of the world's poor lived like those who live in stone age conditions. As long as there isn't a drought or other natural disaster, they aren't that bad off.

I watched a fair Clint Eastwood thriller last night for the third/fourth time. Tightrope with Genevieve Bujold. The usual serial killer who is a little too close to home for detective played by Eastwood.

Not as good as the Dirty Harry series of films but still rate a respectful 6/10 in my book.

Are you kidding?

I wish most of the world's poor lived like those who live in stone age conditions. As long as there isn't a drought or other natural disaster, they aren't that bad off.

If you're in a fertile and sparsely populated part of the world and a hunter gatherer life was sweet. But the sparsely populated regions today are the shitest areas to live in. That's why they're still sparsely populated. All the fertile areas are all taken and farmed extensively. These guys are all just scraping by. If you're a farmer on the stone age level your life was and is, total and complete shit. As a human, it's the shitest level of technology to be on. Why we transitioned from hunter gatherers to farmers is for complicated and interesting reasons (I won't get into here).

Most of the footage of poor people was Africa. There's a myth about the fertile soils of Africa. The truth is that Africa's soils are for the most part not particularly fertile. Not compared to most other places. For a vast array of geological reasons. Most of Africa is hard to live in regardless of your technological level. The infertility of the land will hit every level on the eat or be eaten hierachy of life. And that's why Africas farmers are so fucking poor and starving. If all else was equal, they'd still be in last place. The saddest fact about Africa is that their most fertile region is Ethiopia. The fact that this region of all of them managed to get hit by a devastating famine should tell you about the state of African soils. It's a no fun place to live in.

So Africa being poor is really nobody's fault. At least not if you're an atheist.

There's a myth about the fertile soils of Africa. The truth is that Africa's soils are for the most part not particularly fertile. Not compared to most other places.

References?

I tried Googling. But it's hard to find sources that aren't in excrutiating detail. Or technical papers. articles like this.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/soils/use/?cid=nrcs142p2_054024

Basically, sources of information you've got to be smarter than me to read and understand. I first heard it in a lecture series on African history. Also again in another lecture series on contemporary macro-economic problems. It could be a thing everybody who works with this stuff knows. As if it's so obvious why bother pointing it out. So just because I'm having trouble finding stuff on the net doesn't mean it's not true. I'm in IT. I've never lived further than a hundred meters from an espresso café. Wild flowers freak me out.

Noah - An indigestible mix of biblical fanfic and poor man midrash, though sometimes when it was convenient for the writers, it does follow the original text here and there (such as the duration and stuff). The only thing that gets you through the film is the potential to see Emma Watson naked. And when you think you finally get it, you are sorely disappointed.

I did learn a couple things because of this film. I was mistaken about the cursed ground. I thought that the ground today was still cursed as per the whole Fall thing. It wasn't. Apparently, it was much worse. In addition, I didn't know that Methuselah died the same year as the flood. Looked at the numbers, and Genesis 5 indicates it. It does not say he died in the flood, which would be kind of noteworthy. Other than that, my life was diminished for having seen the film.

1 of 4

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0K97czqecQ[/YOUTUBE] A good adventure yarn. This is the original and best. 6.5/10

Thanks for the heads up. I love 70'ies science fiction. Can't really explain it. But it's like it's educational theatre for the mentally challenged. There's always detailed explanations of the science and it's all totally preposterous, so one wonders why they bothered. Plots are super idiotic and cheesy. And everybody has bad hair. I love it. Special effects weren't too shoddy. I was prepared for a hell of a lot worse. This entire movie was pure gold.

Thanks

Man On Fire starring Denzel Washington as a bodyguard of a nine year old girl who gets kidnapped by Mexican mafia hoodlums while he is left for dead in a shoot-out. This pearler has an unexpected ending which will surprise many.

8.5/10

Are you kidding?

If you're in a fertile and sparsely populated part of the world and a hunter gatherer life was sweet. But the sparsely populated regions today are the shitest areas to live in. That's why they're still sparsely populated. All the fertile areas are all taken and farmed extensively. These guys are all just scraping by. If you're a farmer on the stone age level your life was and is, total and complete shit. As a human, it's the shitest level of technology to be on. Why we transitioned from hunter gatherers to farmers is for complicated and interesting reasons (I won't get into here).

Most of the footage of poor people was Africa. There's a myth about the fertile soils of Africa. The truth is that Africa's soils are for the most part not particularly fertile. Not compared to most other places. For a vast array of geological reasons. Most of Africa is hard to live in regardless of your technological level. The infertility of the land will hit every level on the eat or be eaten hierachy of life. And that's why Africas farmers are so fucking poor and starving. If all else was equal, they'd still be in last place. The saddest fact about Africa is that their most fertile region is Ethiopia. The fact that this region of all of them managed to get hit by a devastating famine should tell you about the state of African soils. It's a no fun place to live in.

So Africa being poor is really nobody's fault. At least not if you're an atheist.

Even in some of those shitty places, modern hunter-gatherers have more hours of leisure per week than those of us privileged to live in the modern world. A lot more leisure, in fact.

Even in some of those shitty places, modern hunter-gatherers have more hours of leisure per week than those of us privileged to live in the modern world. A lot more leisure, in fact.

They do...but they have nothing to fill those leisure hours. So they literally sit around and watch the grass grow.

On the Town

8/10

A lightweight but highly energetic and entertaining musical, adapted from the musical of the same title (although of Leonard Bernstein's score for the musical, only two songs and two dance numbers survived the transition to screen). Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Jules Munshin are the three Navy sailors with one day's leave in New York City, while the girls they hook up with are, respectively, Vera-Ellen, Betty Garrett and Ann Miller. Despite the two big names topping the cast, this is an ensemble piece, with all six main players getting moments to shine. Standout moments include Sinatra and Garrett's duet, "Come up to My Place," the "A Day in New York" ballet featuring Kelly and Vera-Ellen, and--my personal favorite--the "Prehistoric Man" number featuring Ann Miller doing one of her usual movie-stealing tap dance routines.

Weekend At Bernies Starring an assemble of unknowns at the time as this movie was made in 1989 and had several sequels. The plot is something along the lines of "what starts as a typical carefree holiday at the beach for two young insurance company employees turns into a few days of murder,mayhem, romance and hilarious misadventures. I rated this very highly as an original comedy flick. 8.5/10

Gone Girl, 8.2.

Fairly faithful adaptation of the novel. Rosamond Pike gives an eerily great performance, notably towards the end. There's really only one, perhaps two likable characters in this psychological thriller whose success points to a gaping hole in current film genres: psychological thriller .

Before Sunset

9/10

If you liked getting to know Celine (Julie Delpy) and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) as they got to know each other during a memorable night in Vienna in Before Sunrise, then you'll almost certainly enjoy this sequel, set nine years after the first film. Some people consider this one, with an Oscar-nominated script written by Delpy, Hawke and director Richard Linklater, to be even better than the first film. However, it is really essential to watch them in sequence, both to avoid spoilers and to understand the character development, so remember that Sunrise comes before Sunset.

A children's film because I had the grandchildren over last evening. Bingo about the adventures of an escaped circus dog who fears fire because of an incident when he was a pup. From been loved to been chased by crooks it's a great children's flick. 7/10

BIRDMAN or The Unexpected Virtue Of Ignorance (2014)

I was expecting a comedy.

While sometimes very funny, this movie was also dark and sometimes disturbing.

Suffers a little from excess length.

Good performances by all.

8.5/10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom