• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Dr Zhivago (1965) 2/10

It's about a USSR general who interviews a woman who was orphaned as a child, to figure out if she in fact is his niece. The entire film is a series of flashbacks.

How this has such a high rating defies all reason. I understand why so many people want to like it, since it's an anti-communist book and film released at the height of the cold war. So the rating must be pure politics, because the film sucks.

Paper thin, melodramatic, larger than life characters. They're all soap opera characters. Nobody acts believably. All the communists are super evil except the Bolshevik general from the frame story. Dr Zhivago is a complete and total saint... always. A flawless man. That is boring to watch. And apart from being a super hero he is also a super smart poet. I rolled my eyes way too many times in this film.

Whenever something interesting is set up, it never goes anywhere. They just do random shit. At one point they're coming to their country house and find that it's been expropriated by the government. So they don't move in. Instead they find a cottage near by. Ok, fine. But later they simply move into the big house... and nothing happens. What was the point of that whole section? Nothing is explained. The over-the-top score only exists to tell the audience how they're supposed to feel in each scene. In case the viewer is a complete moron.

The frame is stupid. It starts off with the general trying to convince a woman that she's his niece and she doesn't think so. At the end of the movie she still remembers nothing. The entire film is just the general telling the story without it waking any memories in the woman. It ends with them agreeing on nothing. He offers to take care of her as if she is his niece. She rejects the offer and walks off. The frame is a non-event. It makes the entire movie pointless. Nothing happened, for three fucking hours. Give me my minutes back.

It does make a point of that revolutions are messy which favours the opportunistic, rather than idealistic. Which I guess is interesting. But not really news, and hardly enough to keep me intersted for three fucking hours!!! Nothing that happens in the film matters in any way. It's just a long list of, first this happened, and then this happend, and then that happened.

I've read somewhere that the characters aren't supposed to be people. They only exist as mouthpieces for the author's Kantian philosophy. Which would make the film make sense. But it would also make the film boring. Just read a book on Kant instead. A much better use of your time.

The CIA paid for it's publication, circulation and smuggled the book into Russia. It was intended to be used as a weapon of propaganda. But it's dumb ass. The story is about a very wealthy and noble family, and that the revolution was bad for them. How is that going to convince the regular Joe in Russia that communism is bad? I don't get it. I think the film needs to be seen in context. Once the cold war died this film's value died with it.

It's only redeeming quality is the cinematography. But even so. There's plenty of films that blow this out of the water.

Edit: It has also recieved critisisms about being factually incorrect. It gets the history wrong. So it has virtually zero educational value. It's a pure propaganda piece. So stupid.

If you can believe Tolstoy and Solzhenitzen and Edward Rutherfurd and a few other Russian authors (not to imply that Edward Rutherfurd is a Russian author, he isn't), there is a fatalistic streak in most of the various people who fell under the USSR umbrella which makes them prone to giving in to the people wielding power, to following anyone who will tell them what to do. I can believe that the CIa fostered this as a propaganda tool, but maybe not that that was the reason it was written.

There is an awful lot of literature in many, many languages that isn't about driving on to the next plot point. Often it is to get the reader/viewer to ask themselves "Why?" and think about it at some length.

Years since I have either seen the film or read the book but I remember that the answers to "Why?" in each case, when I finally figured it out, threw new light on the characters.

The book was good and the film isn't as bad as you suggest, IMO.

Last edited:
Frankenweenie (2012)

A Tim Burton movie. Uses stop-motion animation.

Story of a boy who brings his dead dog back to life.

Light comedy.

OK. Not great.

6/10

Dr Zhivago (1965) 2/10

It's about a USSR general who interviews a woman who was orphaned as a child, to figure out if she in fact is his niece. The entire film is a series of flashbacks.

How this has such a high rating defies all reason. I understand why so many people want to like it, since it's an anti-communist book and film released at the height of the cold war. So the rating must be pure politics, because the film sucks.

Paper thin, melodramatic, larger than life characters. They're all soap opera characters. Nobody acts believably. All the communists are super evil except the Bolshevik general from the frame story. Dr Zhivago is a complete and total saint... always. A flawless man. That is boring to watch. And apart from being a super hero he is also a super smart poet. I rolled my eyes way too many times in this film.

Whenever something interesting is set up, it never goes anywhere. They just do random shit. At one point they're coming to their country house and find that it's been expropriated by the government. So they don't move in. Instead they find a cottage near by. Ok, fine. But later they simply move into the big house... and nothing happens. What was the point of that whole section? Nothing is explained. The over-the-top score only exists to tell the audience how they're supposed to feel in each scene. In case the viewer is a complete moron.

The frame is stupid. It starts off with the general trying to convince a woman that she's his niece and she doesn't think so. At the end of the movie she still remembers nothing. The entire film is just the general telling the story without it waking any memories in the woman. It ends with them agreeing on nothing. He offers to take care of her as if she is his niece. She rejects the offer and walks off. The frame is a non-event. It makes the entire movie pointless. Nothing happened, for three fucking hours. Give me my minutes back.

It does make a point of that revolutions are messy which favours the opportunistic, rather than idealistic. Which I guess is interesting. But not really news, and hardly enough to keep me intersted for three fucking hours!!! Nothing that happens in the film matters in any way. It's just a long list of, first this happened, and then this happend, and then that happened.

I've read somewhere that the characters aren't supposed to be people. They only exist as mouthpieces for the author's Kantian philosophy. Which would make the film make sense. But it would also make the film boring. Just read a book on Kant instead. A much better use of your time.

The CIA paid for it's publication, circulation and smuggled the book into Russia. It was intended to be used as a weapon of propaganda. But it's dumb ass. The story is about a very wealthy and noble family, and that the revolution was bad for them. How is that going to convince the regular Joe in Russia that communism is bad? I don't get it. I think the film needs to be seen in context. Once the cold war died this film's value died with it.

It's only redeeming quality is the cinematography. But even so. There's plenty of films that blow this out of the water.

Edit: It has also recieved critisisms about being factually incorrect. It gets the history wrong. So it has virtually zero educational value. It's a pure propaganda piece. So stupid.

Isn't Dr.Zhivago fucking around on his wife? Isn't Julie Christie his mistress? I don't put such a man down in the "saint" category.

The Town

9/10

A very good urban crime drama from Ben Affleck (who directed, starred and co-wrote the script adapted from Chuck Hogan's source novel). Oscar nominee Jeremy Renner stands out in a very strong cast which also includes Rebecca Hall, Jon Hamm, Titus Welliver, a great Chris Cooper cameo and Blake Lively in her first adult role.

^^Anything Ben Affleck has anything to do with I steer right away from. His latest outburst against Sam Harris just confirmed to me that he is a first class moron! [and the most overrated actor in movie history]

Dr Zhivago (1965) 2/10

Isn't Dr.Zhivago fucking around on his wife? Isn't Julie Christie his mistress? I don't put such a man down in the "saint" category.

Maybe in sex phobic USA. But in Europe, if you want to be a real man, you at least need a hot mistress. The measure of a man comes down to his ability to have a mistress as well as taking care of his family and being a nice guy. Remember that he falls in love with Lara. That absolves him of any moral conflict. Just to make it super super super obvious of his genuine emotions for Lara he even dedicates a work of poetry to her. Nah... by European/Russian standards he does everything right and his affair is only more evidence of him being saintly as well a super manly man. And being a Russian book it's continental morals that inform the work.

Lara's husband Strelnikov abandons his wife (and child) for the revolutionary cause. He even says that he doesn't think about women at all any more = not a real man. Totally emasculated by communism.

So the moral aspect might be interesting in USA. But in Europe the story is just retarded and super obvious.

I can believe that the CIa fostered this as a propaganda tool, but maybe not that that was the reason it was written.

It wasn't. It was written in Russia, banned, smuggled out, translated and published by an Italian publisher, all without CIAs involvement. It wasn't until after all that the CIA stepped in to boost the spread of it. Most significantly, by printing it in it's original form and smuggling it back into Russia. The propaganda-wing of CIA was huge at this time. They had plenty of top name journalists on their pay rolls. I'm only well read on the CIA propaganda machinery for Sweden specifically. It wasn't that they leaned on journalists to promote American ideals. They simply just stopped paying journalists who published pieces critical of USA. And considering the sums involved, getting cut off hurt a lot. It was also nothing that was hidden. This wasn't any covert operation. It was all in the open. The CIA could also help journalists on their pay-rolls to get interviews with subjects that were otherwise hard to secure. Also... all in the open.

There is an awful lot of literature in many, many languages that isn't about driving on to the next plot point. Often it is to get the reader/viewer to ask themselves "Why?" and think about it at some length.

Years since I have either seen the film or read the book but I remember that the answers to "Why?" in each case, when I finally figured it out, threw new light on the characters.

The book was good and the film isn't as bad as you suggest, IMO.

I haven't read the book and I do suspect that the book is actually good. He did receive a Nobel prize for it. So it has to at least be well written. Apparently for employing novel techniques for re-introducing already known characters with different names in different ways, in order to give the reader a chance to have their preconceptions about people tested. With this in mind having the characters be pure stereotypes is interesting and fun. But this entire dimension is simply removed from the film, killing the point of it. But like I said, I've only read about the book. I haven't actually read it myself.

Also, I'd like to add more on the Dr Zhivago critique. The fact that Dr Zhivago is a poet doesn't make him a sensitive little flower or any less manly. Poetry lost most of it's status in the 20th century. Poetry books were still best sellers in the west in the 60'ies. Famous poets were superstars. Even among regular people. Everybody knew their names. People watching this film in the 60'ies would know this. They would also know that poetry in the beginning of the 20'th century had even higher status. Making a famous poet a super duper star. Of course only making Dr Zhivago even more a real manly man.

If you switch out "poet" for "rock star" you'll catch what his poet's status is trying to convey. This is Jim Morrison., 50 Cent or Tupac Shakur. So not only is he a medical doctor, a rock super star, intelligent, intellectual, handsome, who gets to bang all the hottest chicks but he's also humble. Not once. Not once does he whine or complain. He just does his duty and gets on with it. The Dr Zhivago character is designed to be a perfect man in every respect. The most desirable and enviable human being possible. Or impossible. This is the Grey character from 50 Shades of Grey. Or any man from a Harlequin novel. Just ridiculously perfect. If you pick any of the superheroes from any Marvel comic and they'll be more layered, deep and interesting characters than Dr Zhivago.

Last edited:
^^Anything Ben Affleck has anything to do with I steer right away from. His latest outburst against Sam Harris just confirmed to me that he is a first class moron! [and the most overrated actor in movie history]
Wait... Affleck an over-rated actor? Maybe overbilled, but over-rated? Is he even rated as a decent actor?

Comes across like Sarah Palin in the debate. If he doesn't completely suck, people are impressed.

Laura

9.5/10

This classic of film noir is a triumph of style, mood and strong casting over plot implausibilities. Otto Preminger and his cinematographer Joseph Lashelle supplied the visual style, while David Raskin's score set the mood. The cast features the beautiful, eternally desirable Gene Tierney as the title character, and as the men obsessed with her you have Clifton Webb as the bitter, urbanely cynical journalist, Dana Andrews as the unflappable, hard-boiled homicide detective, and Vincent Price, tall and handsome and dumb as a box of rocks. The ever-excellent Judith Anderson is also on board.

MUPPETS MOST WANTED (2014)

I wanted to like it, but after 30 minutes I realized I wasn't even smiling at the jokes.

Bleh.

4/10 until I gave up.

Lady in a Cage. I think for its time it was probably ok. The writer really didn't think highly of human nature.

I have no way of rating this. My expectations are all wrong for the time it was made.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0K97czqecQ[/YOUTUBE] A good adventure yarn. This is the original and best. 6.5/10

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0K97czqecQ[/YOUTUBE] A good adventure yarn. This is the original and best. 6.5/10

OMG! :) I saw this as a kid on TV and loved it. Made me get the ERB book to read and I loved that too.

I never did watch the follow up movie though.

We Were Soldiers

8/10

A good and gritty war film set in the early days of the Vietnam war, and probably the one really good film starring Mel Gibson to come out in the last 15 years or so. It's based on a similarly titled book by retired General Hal Moore (played in the film by Gibson) and war correspondent Joseph Galloway (Barry Pepper). Both Moore (then a light colonel) and Galloway were present at the opening stages of the Battle of Ia Drang valley depicted in the film, one as the commander of the American forces, the other covering the battle. A strong supporting cast features Madeleine Stowe as an army wife who would have been at home in John Ford's films, Greg Kinnear as a crack chopper pilot, and above all Sam Elliott as absolutely the most hard-boiled sergeant in cinema history.

The only film I liked that starred Mel Gibson was a great drama titled Forever Young or at least there was a song out with that title. I watched it years ago but when a film remains in your memory banks for a while it must've impressed. It's about a love lost and then found decades later.

Lone Star

10/10

I watched this again tonight as a sort of in memoriam to Elizabeth Pena, who died earlier this week. John Sayles' best film is a "hyperlink movie" with several intersecting storylines; virtually every story concerns people who have to come to terms, in some way, with their own pasts. The story of schoolteacher Pilar (Pena) and local sheriff Sam (Chris Cooper) rekindling their lost love isn't the biggest one in the narrative, but it's the emotional heart of the film. The cast is terrific from top to bottom; besides Pena and Cooper there are excellent performances from, among others, Kris Kristofferson, Joe Morton, Ron Canada, Clifton James, Miriam Colon and Matthew McConaughey. Even small roles are well cast--Frances McDormand has a terrific cameo that I have always seen as the exclamation point to her Best Actress turn that same year in Fargo, while a talented but little-known actress named Vanessa Martinez plays Pilar as a teenager in a few flashbacks. Amazingly, this film got only a single Oscar nomination--for Sayles himself for his original screenplay. This one is not to be missed.

Riddick

8/10

A scifi/fantasy action flick that's closer to first Riddick movie Pitch Black in concentrating on a small group of mercenaries on a planet with alien monsters. What detracts a bit from my personal enjoyment is the implausible ecology of the planet (how do the predators survive, if the only other life forms on the planet seem to be grass and a few prairie dogs. And what are the dogs supposed to eat?) and the bit over the top macho sexism of the protagonist. The female lead, who is supposed to be a lesbian, falls immediately for Riddick when he kills a man and says he'll go "balls deep" in her. Riiiight.

Lone Star

10/10

I watched this again tonight as a sort of in memoriam to Elizabeth Pena, who died earlier this week. John Sayles' best film is a "hyperlink movie" with several intersecting storylines; virtually every story concerns people who have to come to terms, in some way, with their own pasts. The story of schoolteacher Pilar (Pena) and local sheriff Sam (Chris Cooper) rekindling their lost love isn't the biggest one in the narrative, but it's the emotional heart of the film. The cast is terrific from top to bottom; besides Pena and Cooper there are excellent performances from, among others, Kris Kristofferson, Joe Morton, Ron Canada, Clifton James, Miriam Colon and Matthew McConaughey. Even small roles are well cast--Frances McDormand has a terrific cameo that I have always seen as the exclamation point to her Best Actress turn that same year in Fargo, while a talented but little-known actress named Vanessa Martinez plays Pilar as a teenager in a few flashbacks. Amazingly, this film got only a single Oscar nomination--for Sayles himself for his original screenplay. This one is not to be missed.

Excellent movie, I agree 100%.

It also (heavy duty SPOILER and SQUICK warning!!!)

made you reconsider incest being OK between consenting, well-informed adults. Or it did me anyway.

Riddick

8/10

A scifi/fantasy action flick that's closer to first Riddick movie Pitch Black in concentrating on a small group of mercenaries on a planet with alien monsters. What detracts a bit from my personal enjoyment is the implausible ecology of the planet (how do the predators survive, if the only other life forms on the planet seem to be grass and a few prairie dogs. And what are the dogs supposed to eat?) and the bit over the top macho sexism of the protagonist. The female lead, who is supposed to be a lesbian, falls immediately for Riddick when he kills a man and says he'll go "balls deep" in her. Riiiight.

Urgggghhh. OK, I was originally sorry I missed this in theaters, now, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom