• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Mad Max: Fury Road
10/10

One of the best movies I've seen in a while. The key is the sociological commentary on how tyrants rule and retain their power, via religion and monopoly over key resources. But at the same time, the world is winding down. I don't want to spoil the whole movie but the action there, while impeccable, is still merely a vehicle for the story telling and the world building.

Special review for DrZoidberg:

2/10 - It doesn't have any gay or BDSM undertones that you crave. Sorry to disappoint.

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

6/10

Like the first in the series, this one is largely for the kids, but has some intermittent entertainment value for adults as long as you aren't in too demanding a mood. It's not really a 6/10 movie, except for the fact that Amy Adams automatically adds at least one point to the score of any movie she has a sizable part in.
Good ole Amy Adams. The female Matt Damon, a star who doesn't appear as a star on the screen. A natural actor.

And she played Amelia Earhart as a joke. Pushy female, trying to jump on the guy nearest to her. It was insulting to Amelia.

10/10

One of the best movies I've seen in a while. The key is the sociological commentary on how tyrants rule and retain their power, via religion and monopoly over key resources. But at the same time, the world is winding down. I don't want to spoil the whole movie but the action there, while impeccable, is still merely a vehicle for the story telling and the world building.

2/10 - It doesn't have any gay or BDSM undertones that you crave. Sorry to disappoint.

Dr. Zoidberg mistakenly assumes all the gay love and BDSM of Road Warrior was a positive thing. No, it was there to show how depraved the gang was.

That the 2015 version lacks that negativity is a good thing.

And I"m excited to see this movie now that I've heard nothing but good things about it.

10/10

Yes, but it presents patriarchy as something that is evil, while the people you are supposed to identify with are from a matriarchy, therefore the movie is a politically correct feminazi attack on men and part of the brutal persecution men must endure at the hands of wimmen. Why won't feminazis stop persecuting us just for the crime of being born male? Why? [/conservolibertarian]

I´m afraid Mad Max will only be an action movie. Is it?
in the same way that die hard is just an action movie or terminator 2 is just a sci-fi movie... yes, technically it's an action movie, but it's so well done that it's a transcendent example of the genre.

So far all I´ve seen is that it is. I would find that tragic and sad and I would walk out. Possibly while composing a hate mail to Miller accusing him of destroying what was best of my childhood. Yes. Strong opinions.
there's a lot of subtext in the film, some of it blatant and some of it stuff that you can find easily if you want to see it - about social structure, and about cult mentality, and about trying to find something better in a world gone to shit.
it's a truly remarkable film, IMO.

Good ole Amy Adams. The female Matt Damon, a star who doesn't appear as a star on the screen. A natural actor.

And she played Amelia Earhart as a joke. Pushy female, trying to jump on the guy nearest to her. It was insulting to Amelia.

Similar comments could be made about the portrayal of virtually any of the historical figures in the Night at the Museum films, which is why I specified that it's best to be in a non-demanding mood when you watch them. :)

Now tonight's movie:

Blood Work

4/10

I had a very unfavorable impression of this adaptation of Michael Connelly's novel when I saw it back in 2002; I decided to re-watch it and see if I was being too harsh. I wasn't. I could make many criticisms of this one, but two giant problems stick out like a set of sore thumbs: 1) Screenwriter Brian Helgeland, who has done some excellent work adapting crime novels to film (L.A. Confidential, Mystic River), made a mess of things by changing the identity of the killer, and blending him with another character from the book in a ham-fisted way. 2) The romance that develops between the two lead characters is rendered completely unbelievable by the casting of Clint Eastwood, on the high side of 70, as the forty-something male lead character who falls in love with a woman in her early thirties (I have no idea if this was decided on by the studio or by the film's producer-director, one Clint Eastwood). Give this one a miss.

Similar comments could be made about the portrayal of virtually any of the historical figures in the Night at the Museum films, which is why I specified that it's best to be in a non-demanding mood when you watch them. :)

The only other 'love' interest I've seen in the movies is Teddy Roosevelt for Sacagawea. And they were both very discreet.

The Verdict - Early 80s film about a washed up lawyer faced with taking on an expensive law firm representing a huge client. Completely never before done plot! I actually haven't seen many films with Paul Newman, in fact The Sting may have been the only one, so I was interested in watching this film just for that. The plot was cliche, the swerves were cliche, and the ending was predictable, but it was still an enjoyable movie. 2.5 of 4

The Gambler (2014) 9/10

I really like this movie. I've hesitated watching it due to the poor reviews. It has been compared to a 1974 version starring James Caan. I've stared watching it for comparisons sake (I'm half way through.), but while they are based on the same story, they are presented quite differently. The 1974 version seems pretty straight forward while the 2014 version is presented as Mark Wahlberg searching for purpose. John Goodman has a nice little speech toward the end of the movie on this: Beyond purpose, it's about being able to say fuck you.

Mad Max: Fury Road 9/10

1b812e97b9c3f70203e8385f0867cbacdc09c9fc.gif

as a non-stop popcorn movie action thrill ride: 8.5/10
within the broad scope of film in general: maybe a 5/10
i saw mad max again this weekend with a different friend.
man, this is really a movie that exponentially grows on you.
i am retroactively ashamed of my original low score, this movie should be like 12/10 as an action movie and a solid 8 or 9 in the broad scope of film.

good god this movie is amazing, and it has hands down the best soundtrack of any movie that i have heard since the original Jurassic Park.
i actually bought a CD of the soundtrack just to own it because it's that good.

I saw The Transporter: aka Jason Statham really needs to take his own advice. 7/10. Enjoyable if you don't think too much about it.

Still Alice

An intelligent and ambitious woman develops early onset Alzheimer's.

The plot developed too quickly. I never felt a strong attachment to the characters, nor did I feel the strength of the bonds among the characters.

Nice movie, good acting, but I did not feel I was experiencing a new approach to the situation.

7/10

The Brothers Bloom

7.5/10

Rian Johnson's second feature is not as successful playing with caper/con artist film conventions as Brick was with those of film noir. At times the film is a little too eccentric for its own good, but it still has entertainment value. The cast is headlined by likable leads: Mark Ruffalo and Adrien Brody as the con-man brothers of the title and Rachel Weisz as their mark. Maximilian Schell (in his final film) and Robbie Coltrane are good in support, the talented and extremely underused Nora Zehetner (from Brick) shows up for a cameo, but the real scene-stealer is Rinko Kikuchi as the brothers' laconic sidekick/explosives expert.

I saw The Transporter: aka Jason Statham really needs to take his own advice. 7/10. Enjoyable if you don't think too much about it.

Agreed, very watchable movie.

28 Days Later, 8/10: Strong cast in this zombie type horror/thriller. A virus hits the UK that turns people into zombies and survivors try to find a safe place to flee to. A group of survivors come across a squad of soldiers holding out in an old mansion and things get tense as the commander has trouble keeping his flimsy authority over his subordinates. Directed by Danny Boyle, the movie is a nail biter at times.

Kung Fury 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RqpItxd8M

Kung Fu super cop travels back in time to kill Hitler with his Kung Fu powers. But takes a swing by the Viking age and picks up Viking babes, dinosaurs and the god Thor. Relentless action from start to finish. Plenty of idiotic 80´ies tropes. Does NOT take itself seriously at all. A master piece.

Enjoy.

edit: I especially enjoyed that David Hasselhof plays the voice to Kung Fury´s robot car. It´s called Hof. In an argument with the car the car tells Kung Fury not to hassle Hof. Brilliant.

Kung Fury 10/10

Kung Fu super cop travels back in time to kill Hitler with his Kung Fu powers. But takes a swing by the Viking age and picks up Viking babes, dinosaurs and the god Thor. Relentless action from start to finish. Plenty of idiotic 80´ies tropes. Does NOT take itself seriously at all. A master piece.

Enjoy.

edit: I especially enjoyed that David Hasselhof plays the voice to Kung Fury´s robot car. It´s called Hof. In an argument with the car the car tells Kung Fury not to hassle Hof. Brilliant.
heh i just watched this today as well, and it's the greatest thing i've seen this year that isn't mad max: fury road.
definite 10/10 from me as well for pure genre mashing balls-out insane hilarity.

Kung Fury 10/10

Enjoy.

Glorious! Absolutely glorious. 12/10.

Dragonslayer

7.5/10

This fantasy film was a bust at the box office back in 1981, but over time its strengths have become more apparent. Sir Ralph Richardson, in one of his final film roles, and Peter MacNicol, in his first, are very effective lead performers, as is the late Caitlin Clarke. The spfx are pretty good for the pre-CGI era. This one is not for the youngsters, though, due to its gory moments and some of its plot themes (you'd never believe it was co-produced by Disney).

I also give this one a bit of a bonus for the name of the dragon--Vermithrax Pejorative. Awesome.

Tomorrowland
6/10

Simplistic, heavy-handed message. Acting is so-so, shallow characterization, plot doesn't know exactly how it wants to resolve itself. Villain isn't very villainous, with no explanation as to why he became villainous. In fact, he seems to be very reasonable and perhaps a victim as well, yet the movie treats him as a bad guy. There is a complete lack of what and who he commands as a villain and how he did it.

Characters do illogical things.

The heroine isn't really one. She is touted as 'special' but you don't see it or get any explanation of why she is.

Apparently divination has been quantified.

The best character in the movie isn't even human.

Some parents were upset their kids were exposed to things beyond what they were expecting, but this is just the whining of parents who failed to read the PG rating warnings.

Very nice visuals though. Some nostalgic and fun. Weren't we all imagining this sort of future?

Back
Top Bottom