• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

7. Things that will not stop you from running around like an action hero: getting knifed; getting shot; getting dosed with enough tranquilizer to drop a two ton armored dinosaur; molten rock through your shoulder; being trapped on a ship without food or medical supplies for days; getting skewered through the leg by a dinosaur claw easily the size of a human femur. Is this movie a Marvel crossover? Was Owen Brady bit by a radioactive dilophosaur between movies?
Movies are a bit like Professional Wrestling. When I was a kid, a DDT would win the match. Today, it takes two tornado DDT from the upper rafters to pin someone. In the movies these days, explosions, falls and flings from great distances, being split open by a lightsaber are somewhat inconveniences more than actually something that could most likely kill you. Be like Hans Gruber getting back up after his tumble from the Tower and needing to be killed for realz.

That is one thing I liked in the Hawkeye series on Disney+. It actually shows some consequences for all the heroics. He has a hearing aid, due to all the explosions he experienced in the Avengers movies. He gets first aid supplies for various cuts and other injuries, uses frozen food bags as ice packs. Still not very realistic, but it at least shows some of the results of his adventures.

7. Things that will not stop you from running around like an action hero: getting knifed; getting shot; getting dosed with enough tranquilizer to drop a two ton armored dinosaur; molten rock through your shoulder; being trapped on a ship without food or medical supplies for days; getting skewered through the leg by a dinosaur claw easily the size of a human femur. Is this movie a Marvel crossover? Was Owen Brady bit by a radioactive dilophosaur between movies?
Movies are a bit like Professional Wrestling. When I was a kid, a DDT would win the match. Today, it takes two tornado DDT from the upper rafters to pin someone. In the movies these days, explosions, falls and flings from great distances, being split open by a lightsaber are somewhat inconveniences more than actually something that could most likely kill you. Be like Hans Gruber getting back up after his tumble from the Tower and needing to be killed for realz.
Oh, I know! But as a long time fan of Michael Crichton, it's been interesting his "franchise" getting steadily Marvelized over time. In the original book, Ian Malcolm died from an infected bite wound, more than a day after it happened, in part due to his ineffective attempt at manufacturing a tourniquet for it and likely also morphine overdose; his next to last line is him begging a student to give him more of the stuff. Quite a pathetic end. Hammond dies from tripping over a damn log, falling down a small hill, and getting cornered by tiny opportunistic procompsagnathus. Gennaro, you get the distinct sense, only survived because the author needed one of the villains to live long enough to get lectured to at the end of the story.

These days, you could swap the main characters out for any films' action hero and they would actually make more sense! Superman: Dino Island. "You've got me? Who's got you?"

True. I like that idea Superman: Dino Island, could breath some fresh breath into the failing DC Comic Universe. :D

Meanwhile Die Hard also involved him walking on glass, cutting himself, being in the bathroom dealing with it. Movie today, "oww" while walking through glass and that'd be it. The main character would be running 3:30 miles five minutes later. The Hawkeye reference is good because in Avengers, he crashes through a thick glass window and appears hurt by it. I think it is the only time I've seen a character negatively impacted by crashing through a thick window.

True. I like that idea Superman: Dino Island, could breath some fresh breath into the failing DC Comic Universe. :D

Meanwhile Die Hard also involved him walking on glass, cutting himself, being in the bathroom dealing with it. Movie today, "oww" while walking through glass and that'd be it. The main character would be running 3:30 miles five minutes later. The Hawkeye reference is good because in Avengers, he crashes through a thick glass window and appears hurt by it. I think it is the only time I've seen a character negatively impacted by crashing through a thick window.
I'm trying but failing to remember the name of an Indie film I saw back in college years, in which the down and out protagonist decides to break into someone's house while she's out by punching through the glass of the front door and going for the knob, with only some Hollywoood styke wrapped cloth for hand protection. This turns out to be a terrible, terrible idea, and he winds up in the ER on the other side of an epic jump cut.

Mio On The Shore (7/10)

Watched on Amazon last night and I enjoyed it. Quiet, deliberately paced story of a young Japanese woman from the country who is sent to live in Tokyo after her grandmother falls ill. I love the cinematography, the way the camera renders the neighborhood and the interiors, and the interactions of the people. Very understated and powerful, very Japanese. I spent an hour and a half immersed in the film and would recommend it.

Turning Red 4/5

Loved it! Why don't we make more movies for kids that actually address the issues they can expect to encounter in their lives? There's plenty of kaiju madness to keep the film interesting up to the last frame, but the underlying moral is still obvious enough for a preteen to get. And I honestly can't think of a lot of recent movies that do address puberty and its effect on family relationships directly, despite the considerable prevalence of "coming of age" movies that treat social development as though it were absent from questions of one's actual body. Kudos to Pixar for their bravery in pushing through with this project, especially under the aegis of Disney. Cancellation or severe muddling must have been hanging over their project from the start, had any of the execs involved realized what the movie was actually about.

Also, fun to see Toronto getting demolished for once! Why should New York, San Francisco and Vancouver-in-disguise always have all the fun?

Dead Man's Shoes, 7/10; Released in 2004 and starring Paddy Considine as an ex British Paratrooper returning to his small hometown seeking revenge on the gangsters that abused his mentally disabled brother. There are some good, tense scenes in this independent movie but overall it's just a bit too far fetched and odd to be believable. For example, the drug dealing gangsters driving around in a Citroën 2CV that looks like a clown car. Gary Stretch (former boxing champion) and Paddy Considine were excellent and the rest of the cast were fine.

I've been diving back into the rabbit hole that is "Dust" while killing time at work. I watched CTRL-Z tonight. The channel is a mixed bag, but this one - clocking in at just 21 minutes - is one of the many good ones. Simple. Funny. Sweet. With some unintended consequences.

The Battle at Lake Changjin

3/5

This one is interesting because it's a Hollywood style big budget blockbuster where the commies are the good guys and the Americans kick-the-dog evil.

It's refreshing for a change. It's also a stark reminder how easy it is to make engaging propaganda that effortlessly slides into the brain, in spite of being complete nonsense.

Mao talking about paper tigers is a paper thin portrayal.

Even though it is interesting I dislike Hollywood style films. So the rating is on par. The special effects are impressive.

I've been diving back into the rabbit hole that is "Dust" while killing time at work. I watched CTRL-Z tonight. The channel is a mixed bag, but this one - clocking in at just 21 minutes - is one of the many good ones. Simple. Funny. Sweet. With some unintended consequences.
Pretty decent, 7/10.

The Wanderers, 6/10; a cult classic from 1979 starring Ken Wahl as the leader of an Italian American street gang known as the Wanderers in 1960s Bronx. An adaptation of a book which I suspect is better than the movie but was reasonably entertaining as it covered some interesting themes and had a good soundtrack. Friendships and loyalties are put to the test as gang leader Richie tries to form a coalition of gangs to face down another neighborhood gang. Some odd scenes like the game of strip poker are a bit baffling but quite funny. Oh, and don’t fuck with the baldies!

Avatar: The Way of Water trailer - sigh. Not exactly a day one watch. Felt like it could have been outtakes from the first movie.

Multiverse of Madness - Loved it! I don't go for spoilers so I didn't know who the villain was going to be. And it was great. Could partly feel for the villian even. Good fun for the price of a ticket.

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, 8/10; Available on Kanopy. Stars Hugo Weaving, Guy Pearce and Terrence Stamp. A really good movie, ahead of its time maybe as it deals with gay/trans themes. The story revolves around three very different characters who are drag queen cabaret performers making their way from Sydney to Alice Springs by road for a gig. Released in 1994 this movie was very successful and critically acclaimed and it's easy to see why. It's hard to say who the stand out actor was in this but Guy Pearce and Terrence Stamp were particularly good.

Everything, Everywhere All at Once.

9/10 Interesting take on a multiverse theme. I like films that make you think, laugh and cry in the same sitting. This has all the components.

Top Gun: Maverick
Some huge plot holes, unrealistic military/operational sequences, but lots of fun anf worth seeing. Also, Jennifer Connelly is still the hottest woman on planet earth. 😊

Dr Strange: Not the best Marvel movie, a little disjointed storyline, but also fun and worth seeing.

Back
Top Bottom