• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Hillbilly Elegy - 7/10
I enjoyed this movie, although it dragged slightly in parts. Based on the story of a boy with family in the rural Appalachian country of Kentucky growing up with his hillbilly folks.

Hail Caeser - I enjoyed this movie a lot more knowing it was a Josh Brolin film and not expecting a George Clooney film. I enjoyed it the first time, but was expecting something different. Knowing what was coming, it just fit together so well. It really is a perfect film.

Appropriate Adult, 8/10; Streaming on Brit Box and staring Dominic West as Fred West (no relation) who along with his wife Rose were probably Britain's most prolific serial killers. A husband and wife so depraved they sexually abused and murdered their own child. The movie is more about the "appropriate adult", Jane Leach (a social worker) assigned to Fred West. Leach strikes up an odd relationship with Fred and earns some trust, enough for him to confide some details not given to the investigating detectives. Fred, as intellectually stunted as he was, was a cunning and deviously clever psycho and was toying with Leach's emotions and getting inside her head, writing her letters and trying to keep in contact even after her assignment was ended. As always with these dramatization of real events, some artistic license is taken.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. I don't care that it's another superhero/MCU movie, I just loved this so much. The death of Chadwick Boseman may have actually been the making of this. the other characters get much more to do.

Yesterday, 8/10; A Danny Boyle directed movie about a struggling musician Jack, who gets into an accident while out cycling and wakes up in hospital and the world is a little bit different. It appears that The Beatles never existed. The story is part "butterfly effect", love story and comedy with a Beatles music backdrop. Jack starts performing Beatles songs and rises up in popularity and catches the attention of Ed Sheeran causing his star to rise further. It's a fun, entertaining movie with some clever jokes, like Oasis don't exist either.

Yesterday, 8/10; A Danny Boyle directed movie about a struggling musician Jack, who gets into an accident while out cycling and wakes up in hospital and the world is a little bit different. It appears that The Beatles never existed. The story is part "butterfly effect", love story and comedy with a Beatles music backdrop. Jack starts performing Beatles songs and rises up in popularity and catches the attention of Ed Sheeran causing his star to rise further. It's a fun, entertaining movie with some clever jokes, like Oasis don't exist either.
I agree. This seems like an odd concept and could easily have failed but the movie was quite enjoyable and hits all the right targets.

Honk For Jesus, Save Your Soul

A mockumentary of a husband and wife megachurch leaders whose church closes after a scandal and their efforts to re-establish themselves in the community. A display of the greed and hypocrisy that goes along with such endeavors.

I give it a 7.5, much of that from the powerful acting performances, especially by Regina Hall, the "First Lady" of the church.

Available on Peacock Premium.

Jurassic World Dominion

They got the whole, entire band back together for this one. While they've incorporated the characters from the later films, the last half of the movie is basically a rehash of the original Jurassic Park. Worth a watch but not great.

BTW, Sam Neill still looks pretty good but he moves like an old man in this movie. May be time for him to hang up his skates on action movies.

So they can make dinosaurs live again, but they can't make a real person move naturally?

Control, 6/10; Streaming on Kanopy, this 2007 movie tell the story of Joy Division front man Ian Curtis who committed suicide at the age of 23 in 1980. This movie is based on the book written by Curtis' widow. The movie is underwhelming but the performance of the lead actor who plays Curtis is very good. He looks a lot like Curtis and in the scenes where he is performing he nails the Curtis quirks perfectly.

Jerry and Marge Go Large - 8/10

A documedy based on Massachusetts man who noticed a glitch in the lottery that allowed him to guarantee a win and to use the winnings to help revitalize their small town. Bryan Cranston and Annette Benning are perfect in the lead roles. Available on Netflix

LA Confidential - Yeah, you've seen it. One thing I noticed about this film, is that Russell Crowe hits his character out of the park in this movie. Everything is really good in this film, but Crowe seems to rise to perfection. To me, he so believably Bud White to the point that he isn't Crowe on the screen, which is incredible given there is no makeup involved at all. For the life of me, I have no idea why Basinger got an Oscar for this film, she's good, but her role seemed too limited, even for "supporting". 4 of 4

The Imitation Game
4/10

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Alan Turing, who wants to fuck Colossus. The tragedy is that he forgot to build it a butt.

Nope
5/10

It was okay. I'm not mad that I spent $5.99 to rent it. It was one of those movies that had a lot of intriguing elements that just never come together in a very interesting way. Some good ideas that just fizzled out.

Brandon Perea's character was wholly unnecessary. Cut that entire character out, have the main characters do a little more work, and it would shaved some of the long run time down.

Although it was less than it could have been, it was a decent watch overall.
I actually like it better than you did. I'd give it a 7.

Unfinished Song, 5/10; Stars Terence Stamp, Vanessa Redgrave, Christopher Eccleston in a rather boring story about an grumpy old bloke that gets involved with his terminally ill wife's choir which is entered in a competition. There are one or two amusing scenes but overall the movie is rather twee and forgettable.

Jerry and Marge Go Large - 8/10

A documedy based on Massachusetts man who noticed a glitch in the lottery that allowed him to guarantee a win and to use the winnings to help revitalize their small town. Bryan Cranston and Annette Benning are perfect in the lead roles. Available on Netflix
I read about how they did it, buying mass quantities of tickets after un-won jackpot money was "rolled down" to lower tiers of winners. Interesting story about finding and legally exploiting a loophole.

Jungle Cruise

We introduce the Rock's character by having him tell bad jokes.

A little girl says to her mother, "Make him stop."

The Rock says, "Nobody can stop me."

This, for me, was the high point of the movie.

I quit about halfway thru.

I like the actors. I just don't see the appeal of this movie.

Jerry and Marge Go Large, 4/10; A story about a married couple in Michigan who found a way to vastly improve their odds of winning a weird lottery legally. It stars Bryan Cranston and Anette Bening as the couple who set up a syndicate of lottery players who "invest" in the scheme. It's based on a true story and the movie seems to be reasonably accurate. Jerry and Marge made a very good return playing this very particular lottery game. But the movie isn't very entertaining and quickly forgotten.

Jerry and Marge Go Large, 4/10; A story about a married couple in Michigan who found a way to vastly improve their odds of winning a weird lottery legally. It stars Bryan Cranston and Anette Bening as the couple who set up a syndicate of lottery players who "invest" in the scheme. It's based on a true story and the movie seems to be reasonably accurate. Jerry and Marge made a very good return playing this very particular lottery game. But the movie isn't very entertaining and quickly forgotten.
They were featured on 60 Minutes a few years back. It was an interesting segment...to bad it didn't translate into a interesting movie.

Back
Top Bottom