• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Aliens (Extended Version) -10/10 I know I've seen this movie lots of times but nothing much beats it for intensity and sheer memorability ("get away from her, you bitch!" and "let's rock!") Ever since I saw the extended version I don't think I watched the theatrical version (which I went to see in 1986). Fascinating to see pre-CGI effects. One of those sequels really worth seeing. Love the guns!

Cantinflas 8/10

Charming Bio-pic about Mexican comic actor Mario "Cantinflas" Mereno. I will admit having no idea who he was before watching the movie, but I was entertained and enjoyed the story of his life. The movie switches back and forth between 1955 Los Angeles and producer Mike Todds' attempt to recruit talent and secure funding for the movie "Around the World in 80 Days" (which would go on to win best picture) and 1930's Mexico as Mereno tries to to find his place. Eventually their two paths intertwine and the movie nears its climax. The Mexican scenes are in Spanish with subtitles, the LA scenes are in English. Great date-night flick. I don't know how accurate it was, but It was entertaining and not overly sentimental.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) 4/10

I really wanted to like this one, and maybe i'm at fault for judging the actions of the main (earthling) characters by modern standards, but I thought the response to handling of a UFO landing in the nations' capital was completely and laughably unrealistic. It seemed to play out more like a Twilight Zone knock-off rather than a movie. And in the end it was just an overly preachy, pro-religious "so what". Klaatu wags his finger at the earthlings and zips off back to space... big deal.

I watched 2 and 1/3 movies yesterday.

I Am.

The director behind such movies as "Ace Ventura," "Liar, Liar," and "Patch Adams" among others has an epiphany after a serious bike accident. He abandons all the trappings of Hollywood success and takes a small film crew to interview various people to find the answer to the questions "what is wrong with our world" and "what can we do about it?" Philosophers, scientists, and notables like Desmond Tutu and Noam Chomsky are on the bill.

A bit pretentious (he starts by asking everyone if they've heard of Ace Ventura), filled with a bit of woo (almost turned it off at the repetition of the "we only use 10 percent of our brain" thing), but otherwise entertaining. Not exactly a deep dive into the questions, it makes the case that humans are inherently cooperative creatures, and the problems stem from the sort of person the director once was...a self-absorbed ego-driven rich guy striving to become even richer.

It was okay. 5/10

Radio Free Albemuth.

Adapted from a Philip K. Dick story! So either the story was not that good, or the adaptation was a hatchet job. Set in an alternate 1980s America where fascism is taking hold, the main character is contacted in his dreams by an alien intelligence, which begins to direct his life. His wife and best friend at first go along, but as the demands from the aliens lead him to foment resistance against the government, his life begins to fall apart and the security services begin to close in.

According to IMDB, the film was in development hell for a long time, finally got made in 2007, then sat in post production hell for a long time, and it shows. The movie looks like an overly long episode of some Sci Fi Channel show (from before they became "SyFy" and started in on the low budget camp movie thing). Cheap special effects, cheesy music, and honestly the best acting performance was from Alanis Morrissette.

Disappointing. 3.5/10

Hard to Be a God

The summary from IMDB:

A group of scientists is sent to the planet Arkanar to help the local civilization, which is in the Medieval phase of its own history, to find the right path to progress. Their task is a difficult one: they cannot interfere violently and in no case can they kill. The scientist Rumata tries to save the local intellectuals from their punishment and cannot avoid taking a position. As if the question were: what would you do in God's place?

Oh, and it is 3 hours long, black and white, and in Russian. I thought "well this could be a rewarding challenge!"

I only got through the 1st hour. Slogged through the 1st hour, I should say. Just as the characters on screen slogged through the mud and muck of a planet that is apparently perpetually under rain or fog or both. Populated by toothless peasants who revel in shit and insults. The "scientists" are not much better, though they have horses and shit-covered armor. The main character (if you can spot him among the horde) seems to be drunk all the time, and I finally stopped waiting for him to do something. For anything interesting to happen. Nope! Turned it off after some more shit-slinging and a huge donkey penis. Seriously.

0/10.

Paranorman 6/10

I've had this sitting on my hard-drive since 2012 (when the film was new). It was clever. Didn't do much with the cleverness though. It was cute. But not cute enough. Funny. But not funny enough. What I liked about it was the artistic style. But that was about it.
Did you see Frankenweenie?

I have that movie.

One of my favorites.

Yes, the response is wierd.

But it's not pro-religious, or at least not entirely. As I recall from a documentary, the people behind the movie were more pro-United Nations/one-world government types. They thought it was the only way to prevent nuclear war. Remember, this is 6 years post-Hiroshima/Nagasaki. But of course, there are the similarities between Klaatu and Jesus. And Klaatu does appear to believe in some spirit or something.

I like the simplicity of the story, and what you might see as preachiness I interpreted as "We aren't kidding. Straighten up or else." That wasn't just finger-wagging. That was a real threat.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) 4/10

I really wanted to like this one, and maybe i'm at fault for judging the actions of the main (earthling) characters by modern standards, but I thought the response to handling of a UFO landing in the nations' capital was completely and laughably unrealistic. It seemed to play out more like a Twilight Zone knock-off rather than a movie. And in the end it was just an overly preachy, pro-religious "so what". Klaatu wags his finger at the earthlings and zips off back to space... big deal.

Ant-Man

Yesterday was 2 dollar Tuesday at the discount theater. Two bucks for admission, two bucks for a small popcorn, and two bucks for a small drink. It was all worth it.

The movie itself felt like it was assembled out of parts. Down and out guy just trying to be the best dad for his daughter. Reclusive genius trying to relive former glory. Evil corporation trying to dominate the world. Regular guy gets propositioned by superhero life. He's out. Then he's in. CGI ensues. There's a Stan Lee cameo. Wacky sidekicks. Moments of levity among the destruction. Hero saves the day. Credits roll. Audience is treated to teaser for next Marvel movie/franchise.

It was entertaining enough...for two dollars.

Submarine - a good film about teenagers somewhere around Abertawe/Swansea. I would rate it very highly indeed if any of the actors could articulate adequately

Julius Caesar (1953 version)

8.5/10

When I read this play in the 8th grade it was my first exposure to Shakespeare, and I remember our lit teacher dragging the whole class off to see this film version at a local revival house. It's a well-done adaptation on the whole, although it loses some steam in the final two acts. James Mason is a good Brutus, although he seems a bit too subdued at times, while John Gielgud is an excellent Cassius, and Edmond O'Brien is effective as a blunt-spoken, edgy Casca. Marlon Brando's casting as Antony was controversial back in the day--he was still known as "the mumbler"--but he contributes a crackling Funeral Oration.

So I also saw "the Wolf of Wall Street." 5/10

I agree that it is too long and too underwhelming. I can't help but feel that I spent three hours watching a movie I've already seen a hundred times. Charismatic man commits crimes, outsmarts opposition, gets money, divorces first wife, marries glamorous second wife, lives large, does lots of drugs, gets investigated by a bland and patient law enforcement officer, tries to hide money, someone fucks up, then someone squeals, he gets caught, sent to prison, but mildly upbeat ending. Seen it before. I found the first part interesting, because it covered wall street culture, which was informative. Standards of production high throughout.

The Equalizer, 7/10: Starring the always excellent Denzel Washington as an ex commando do gooder looking out for the down trodden and victimized. He unwittingly steps on the toes of a very well connected Russian mob operation and has to straighten these guys out using cunning, intimidation and violence. Some good action sequences and high drama although the end of the movie was a bit longer than necessary I thought and the lighting was often too dark to really get an idea as to what was happening. But all in all a decent movie.

A River Between Us
I went to OTI in 1970-1972.
The farmer/Indian thing was strong.Water. The Klamath river may be the best example of people doing the right thing for all.
8/10

The Martian

No discount theater today! I had a pair of free passes so it was off to the multiplex. $4.50 for a medium drink? But hey for an extra 75 cents you can get a large with free refills! Like you're gonna need more than 42 ounces of Diet Coke to get you through a 2 hour movie. But I digress...

Movie was good. Really good. Obviously they had to skimp on some of the science, but they at least tried to keep it as accurate as possible unlike some recent space movies ( *cough* Gravity). Cast was good, acting solid, and Sean Bean didn't die a horrible death for a change.

8/10

Spy (2015)

The comedy was not consistent. A lot of it relied on Melissa McCarthy cursing and acting real bad ass.

I had a few good laughs.

My impression from the trailer was that this was about someone who fell into the job and bumbled their way through.

It's a little different than that.

I'd be willing to see it again in a few years.

6.6/10

The Martian 7/10

It was good, it was heartwarming, and for a change science is the good guy instead of something evil. I probably won't be buying it when it comes out on disk, but it is worth seeing on the big screen.

The Lady in Black

This movie stars Daniel Radcliffe, who does a pretty good job of not being Harry Potter. That's always and probably will continue to be a danger for him. Anyway...

It's about a lawyer sent to investigate the will of a recently deceased person in a creepy little England town. Eventually he winds up at a big creepy house where creepy things happen. I don't want to go into it anymore than that because this is a good movie you should see if you haven't already.

There is some gore, but the strength of the film is in its ability to use shadow and camera angles that make you wonder if you actually just saw something, or if it just a shadow. It does an excellent job of putting you into the actor's perspective.

Anyway, I'm lazy so that's the end of this review. But if you like horror and suspense, you'll like this movie.

7.5/10

Spectre - 8.5/10 - highly enjoyable Bond movie, lots of action, some a little like remixed versions of things seen before, but still fun. Good to see a certain villain with a fluffy white cat again. Pulls most of the strings of the previous few movies together quite nicely.

The Two Faces of January

9/10

A superior thriller adapted from Patricia Highsmith's novel of the same title, and the directorial debut of screen writer Hossein amini (Drive, etc.). Don't expect a Hollywood-style, action-packed film--this is a film in the style of European directors like Claude Chabrol. Do expect great performances from the core cast members--Oscar Isaac, Viggo Mortenson, and Kirsten Dunst--along with plenty of suspense as the relationships among their characters get ever more edgy as the film progresses.

The Two Faces of January

9/10

A superior thriller adapted from Patricia Highsmith's novel of the same title, and the directorial debut of screen writer Hossein amini (Drive, etc.). Don't expect a Hollywood-style, action-packed film--this is a film in the style of European directors like Claude Chabrol. Do expect great performances from the core cast members--Oscar Isaac, Viggo Mortenson, and Kirsten Dunst--along with plenty of suspense as the relationships among their characters get ever more edgy as the film progresses.

Not to mention the locations, which makes it worthwhile viewing regardless of anything else.

Back
Top Bottom