• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The Hundred-Foot Journey, 5/10; Stars Helen Mirren, usually worth watching. The story kicks off about a displaced family from India who's fate takes them to France (via England) and the family open an Indian restaurant across the street (100 feet) from Helen Mirren's Michelin star restaurant. A less than friendly rivalry ensues between the proprietors but all ends well when Helen discovers the chef at her competitor knows a thing or two about cooking and takes him under her wing. A pretty bland feel good movie that was too long and some dopey scenes in it.

And no, Helen did not get her kit off. She's in her 60's FFS you pervs !
Do women in their 60's no longer get their 'kits' off? Just curious.

The Hundred-Foot Journey, 5/10; Stars Helen Mirren, usually worth watching. The story kicks off about a displaced family from India who's fate takes them to France (via England) and the family open an Indian restaurant across the street (100 feet) from Helen Mirren's Michelin star restaurant. A less than friendly rivalry ensues between the proprietors but all ends well when Helen discovers the chef at her competitor knows a thing or two about cooking and takes him under her wing. A pretty bland feel good movie that was too long and some dopey scenes in it.

And no, Helen did not get her kit off. She's in her 60's FFS you pervs !
Do women in their 60's no longer get their 'kits' off? Just curious.
women in the 60s are by and large not desirable by the majority of the media-consuming public to SEE "get their kits off", so it's less about whether it happens and more about whether a statistically significant portion of the viewing audience wants to watch it happen.

The Revenant

Great visuals, gripping soundtrack, good performances, and a simple story well-told. However...

Leonardo Dicaprio was absolutely the wrong actor for the lead. I was never convinced that he was actually the character he was playing, I just kept thinking "that's Leo trying to win an Oscar." Tom Hardy, on the other hand, was effortless in his portrayal to the point where I no longer remembered it was Tom Hardy (the best any actor can hope for).

7.5/10

Imitation game

The Imitation Game 7/10

Drama about the life of Alan Turing. He supplied the biggest leap in what was later to become computers. He built the first modern electronic computer that actually worked. So, cool dude. Did it pretty much alone and in secret. The British government forced him to keep it a secret until his death.

A cool detail about computers is that Turing first designed the computer just to solve a single maths problem. One of Hilbert's problems. This isn't mentioned in the film. But I like that there was no ambition to make money out of any of this. He never cared about money at all. He was just a maths nerd who was happy about fiddling with his things. He actually failed in solving the Hilbert problem. Funny how history works sometimes.

Goosebumps. 9/10. Bit nostalgic for me because I use to read them. Maybe not the greatest plot even for a kid film but I still thought it was very entertaining.

Beauty and the beast. 10/10 Never really got how good this film was when I was young now I realize how brilliant it is.

Jurassic world. 8/10 A bit daft at times but very entertaining in my opinion.

Lucy 7/10 Ridiculous plot but entertaining.

The Three Musketeers (1921 version)

9.5/10

This is the Douglas Fairbanks version. Like several other adaptations of the Dumas novel, it is actually based on the first half of the book, sometimes known by the title of "The Queen's Diamonds." It still holds up very well today--it's more adeptly paced than some of Fairbanks' other swashbucklers, and unlike many other Dumas adaptations, it does not neglect the political intriguing that was central to the source novel (among Musketeer films, only the Richard Lester films of 1973-74 equal Fairbanks in this regard).

American Hustle
It just tried too hard in so many ways, starting with Christian Bale's obviously fake gut. It takes place in the late 70s, but it tries to hard to remind us at every turn that "hey, this is the 70s!" People wear their wardrobe not like it is just the stuff they own, but as something to remind us constantly of the period. And then here comes the music! Yes, we get it. 70s. You don't have to have a slow-motion scene playing a song from the era at regular intervals in order to remind us that your movie is set in the 70s.

The cast is talented (Bale, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Renner, and De Niro cameo) but the performances? Adams was good. Renner was stellar. He really made you believe he was a corrupt yet well-meaning politician. Bale tried to lose himself in his character, but it didn't quite work.

Meh. 5/10

A Trip to the Moon 5/10

There's no two ways about it. It's a shit film. At least it's short. It has that going for it. The only reason to see it is that it's the world's first science fiction movie (1902) which is awesome. Scenes make no sense and it's often hard to understand why people are doing stuff. If it wasn't for the name you'd never figure out wtf it's all about. Which admittedly isn't a lot. A couple of guys go to the moon. My favourite bit is the blacksmith in the second scene in the foreground just hammering away at the anvil. There's zero attempt to make it look like he's actually doing shit. He's in the foreground so you look. Also, the whole bit on the return to Earth is a bit skimmed over IMHO. If they don't need a canon to travel through space then why did they need one to leave Earth? Is Earth below the Moon? Is that how it works?

It is very pretty though. The scenography is kick-ass and I'd love to see a modern film (b-movie) use that kind of scenery. Cool effect. It has a great overall look to it. Copyright to it expired almost 50 years ago, so it's freely available. See it for it's historical value. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrdVdKlxUk

A Trip to the Moon 5/10

There's no two ways about it. It's a shit film. At least it's short. It has that going for it. The only reason to see it is that it's the world's first science fiction movie (1902) which is awesome. Scenes make no sense and it's often hard to understand why people are doing stuff. If it wasn't for the name you'd never figure out wtf it's all about. Which admittedly isn't a lot. A couple of guys go to the moon. My favourite bit is the blacksmith in the second scene in the foreground just hammering away at the anvil. There's zero attempt to make it look like he's actually doing shit. He's in the foreground so you look. Also, the whole bit on the return to Earth is a bit skimmed over IMHO. If they don't need a canon to travel through space then why did they need one to leave Earth? Is Earth below the Moon? Is that how it works?

It is very pretty though. The scenography is kick-ass and I'd love to see a modern film (b-movie) use that kind of scenery. Cool effect. It has a great overall look to it. Copyright to it expired almost 50 years ago, so it's freely available. See it for it's historical value. Enjoy.

You shouldn't expect too much from the first ever science fiction movie.

The sequel is better.

Spoiler:

Vader is Luke and Leia's father.

The hateful eight - over the top violence, interesting dialogue. 7/10

I always felt the greatest part of Tarantino movies was the dialogue. He's a master at creating tension through simple dialogue.

I watched the first half of this months ago, and finally got around to finishing...

Electric Boogaloo - The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

Wow. If you're like me, and have a soft spot in your heart for low budget B-movies from the 70s and 80s, this is the documentary you've been waiting for. Do you remember the names Sybil Danning, Michael Dudikoff, and Sylvia Kristel? Watch this movie. Cannon Films made some seriously schlocky movies over the course of a couple decades and this doc lays out how they managed to do it...unscrupulous business practices!

They were hucksters...con men...just shy of being criminals. But they managed to get their movies made.

9/10

The hateful eight - over the top violence, interesting dialogue. 7/10

I always felt the greatest part of Tarantino movies was the dialogue. He's a master at creating tension through simple dialogue.

The set has been criticized because most of the events take place in one room, but I think it works well enough. A study in human nature in an over the top Hollywood way, perhaps, but considering human nature, not so exaggerated after all.

A Trip to the Moon 5/10

I love that umbrellas seem to be the equipment of choice for those astronauts. Also, I envy their equanimity in being able to go to sleep a minute after their landing on the Moon.

The Hobbit (all three movies, extended versions...) - 7.5/10

Well I really liked "unexpected journey", but after that things went downhill. The whole thing is good to watch, but not on a par with the LOTR adaptation. What struck me was that I couldn't remember much of it, despite the last movie only coming out just over a year ago. Is it really that unmemorable? The other problem was that so often the CGI and green-screen work was just too obvious in places: the comparison with the real-world effects of Star Wars VII is glaring. Regarding the issue of Tauriel and Legolas, I'd say the action scenes they were in were good, the rest I don't want to talk about.

Okay if you've got some hours to kill. But I'd always watch LOTR if there was a choice between the two adaptations.

Zombie Massacre 2: Reich of the Dead

It's very similar to Zombie Massacre 1. Oh, you haven't heard of it. I'm not surprised. It's a b-movie. Acting is a joke. The story and action is slooooooow. There's very little tension at all. Zombie effects aren't even any good. I only watched it because I'm a sucker for anything with Nazis and zombies. Unless you have this particular fetisch I recommend staying far away. I can't think of any other reason to see this garbage. It's not even so bad it's good.

I watched the first half of this months ago, and finally got around to finishing...

Electric Boogaloo - The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

Wow. If you're like me, and have a soft spot in your heart for low budget B-movies from the 70s and 80s, this is the documentary you've been waiting for. Do you remember the names Sybil Danning, Michael Dudikoff, and Sylvia Kristel? Watch this movie. Cannon Films made some seriously schlocky movies over the course of a couple decades and this doc lays out how they managed to do it...unscrupulous business practices!

They were hucksters...con men...just shy of being criminals. But they managed to get their movies made.

9/10

That documentary made me sad. I grew up on Canon movies. I loved them all. Even the shit ones. It makes me sad to realize that the films were only about exploiting people, crew, actors and writers. It's like the outraged moralists of the 80'ies were proved right. I hate that.

But boy did Deanna Troi have a rockin' bod'.

The English Patient

8/10

I don't know if this was truly the Best Picture of 1996, one of nine Oscars it took home. It is a good romantic drama with some very powerful scenes, and Juliette Binoche (who won Best Supporting Actress) is terrific. However, it's also uneven (the Italian segments are more compelling than those set in Africa), and the pace plods a good deal of the time. Fargo, among others, might have been a worthier Best Picture winner.

The English Patient

8/10

I don't know if this was truly the Best Picture of 1996, one of nine Oscars it took home. It is a good romantic drama with some very powerful scenes, and Juliette Binoche (who won Best Supporting Actress) is terrific. However, it's also uneven (the Italian segments are more compelling than those set in Africa), and the pace plods a good deal of the time. Fargo, among others, might have been a worthier Best Picture winner.

Isn't Oscar wins mostly just a measurement of how much violins are in the movie? I've never used the Oscars as a reason to see a movie. I must admit that I have not seen this film. I have seen Fargo. Which pretty much proves my point.

Back
Top Bottom