• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

I really got into this one.

I kept thinking I had it figured out, and then something surprising would happen, then I'd figure out the new situation, etc.

Very good performances by John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

9/10

The Martian - A movie about a guy who is stranded on a planet after a massive wind storm on a planet with very low air pressure was going to decimate the crew and ship. A bit formulaic and the plot is rarely ever in doubt. But it stars Matt Damon, who is perhaps the most likable guy on the screen since Spencer Tracey. Lots of science, and for Hollywood it was pretty accurate, a bunch was fictional, but overall, Hollywood Accurate.

Though if something radioactive is warm enough to warm an area, isn't it going to cook you?

3 of 4

Unfinished Business, 1/10; Stars Vince Vaughn as a sales/deal broker who goes it alone after a spat with his boss. How this pile of crap got released will mystify you. Utter garbage.

The Martian - A movie about a guy who is stranded on a planet after a massive wind storm on a planet with very low air pressure was going to decimate the crew and ship. A bit formulaic and the plot is rarely ever in doubt. But it stars Matt Damon, who is perhaps the most likable guy on the screen since Spencer Tracey. Lots of science, and for Hollywood it was pretty accurate, a bunch was fictional, but overall, Hollywood Accurate.

Though if something radioactive is warm enough to warm an area, isn't it going to cook you?

3 of 4

Not at all. A fire would also warm an area, and won't cook you - unless you are stupid enough to crawl into it.

An RTG emits energy as heat. The ionising radiation is all contained inside the unit, and it can't get out unless you open it up. It's safer than a fire - and has the benefits of needing no oxygen and lasting for decades without refuelling.

Radioactivity isn't magic 'kill people stuff'; it behaves in accordance with physical law. The usual isotope in an RTG is 238Pu; Plutonium-238 has a half-life of 87.7 years, power density of about 0.54 watts per gram, and is almost exclusively an alpha emitter, with exceptionally low gamma and neutron radiation levels.

The aluminium outer casing of a 238Pu RTG is easily enough to shield the radioactive components. Indeed, even if it leaked, the radioisotope would need to be inhaled or ingested to be dangerous (although it would be very dangerous if it was). 'Don't eat or breathe Plutonium dust' is the simple safety rule, and is analogous with 'don't stick your hand in the flame' if using fire. All energy sources are dangerous if you are unwary or reckless.

Efficiency is pretty poor with RTGs; an RTG with an electrical output in the 500W range would generate over 5kW of heat, making it an excellent space heater. (In both senses of the word 'space').

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

I really got into this one.

I kept thinking I had it figured out, and then something surprising would happen, then I'd figure out the new situation, etc.

Very good performances by John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

9/10
Oh, that trailer looks good. I do love me some John Goodman. I can't wait for it to stream.

chronicles of the ghostly tribe (2015) 4/10

I really wanted to like this. It's a kind of Chinese Indiana Jones. Just the fact that it's a high budget action adventure not put out by Hollywood is bonus points from me. Just because it's something different. It has the right energy to it. But ultimately doesn't deliver. There's no shortage of amazing scenes and cool effects. The problem that it moves too fast. So the story doesn't make any sense. They could have cut all dialogue from it and it would have worked just as well.

I did like that it's a Chinese communist propaganda piece put out by the Chinese government. Of the only reason that it's something different than Hollywood.

The Big Sleep (1946 version)

10/10

You'll find this one on almost any list of "classics of film noir." However, it's really a little outside the noir mainstream, because of a strong undercurrent of comedy that keeps making itself felt. It is still a classic, with a great Bogart-Bacall romance and a terrific supporting cast that includes, just to name a few, Dorothy Malone's one-scene wonder of a bookstore clerk, John Ridgely as the urbane gambling boss, Bob Steele as his gunsel, Louis Jean Heydt as the "half-smart" Joe Brody and Sonia Darrin as his wannabe femme fatale girl, and Elisha Cook, Jr., as a "harmless little guy" who, as Cook characters inevitably did back then, ends up dead.

Pride and Prejudice and ZOMBIES

It looks like in the middle of producing a pretty sweet movie about the story they lost funding and said "hey what if we add zombies"

Anyone unfamiliar with the story would find it boring. Otherwise you'd love it. This movie is classic and I don't know why it isn't more popular. The zombies are perfect. The music is perfect. The characters are pretty good. The best part is the absolute hilarity in transitioning from a beautifully decorated and worded scene to zombie killing madness. When the zombie fun dies down they shift back into the original dialogue so smoothly it would make anyone laugh.

Lady Anne Darcy is played by Lena Headey aka Cersei Lannister from Game of Thrones. Archetypal character for her brand with little screen time but hey she alright. Funny thing is... Tywin Lannister aka Charles Dance has a small role in the movie as well. Half of the Lannister House is in this movie and there are zombies, I repeat - zombies. Lots of them

I didn't watch it today, but it has been awhile since I've been around these parts so...

Where To Invade Next

Michael Moore's latest. I admit to being biased. I like Mike. I've met the guy and talked to him for a bit - albeit a long time ago.

Anyway, this is kind of a return to form for him. It reminds me of his television shows (TV Nation and The Awful Truth) where he was less angry, and more funny. The premise is that he's "invading" other countries and "stealing" their ideas to make America a better place, and while he himself seems at times not 100 percent committed to his role as a "conqueror," he's clearly having fun. There's also a sweetness...almost a sentimentality...that pervades the movie. He's a big fat slob of an American who shows up on your doorstep, but he means well.

Mike kinda lost me during the Bush years with his obsession over that President and his seriousness, but he's got me back with this one.

7/10

The Book Thief 10/10

If you're in the mood for some tear-jerker WW2 drama I recommend this. And the tighest script I can remember ever seeing. I love a well written film with well written dialogue. This is a film with a multitude of interweaving subplots and themes and these are masterfully presented. Not a detail was out of place. I think this is a masterpiece. It's just so saturated with cleverness that it's hard to just pick out one thing.

This isn't about WW2. This isn't a history lesson. This is about how it feels to live in an oppressive society. It focuses on just a couple of aspects of it. But explores them fully. So it's not a big picture film. It's about details. It makes me want to read the book. I have a feeling that this is a pretty meta book that doesn't translate well to the screen.

Robocop (2014 remake)
4/10

A pointless PG-13 version of an R-rated classic, falls flat in almost every regard. Ok, I can get the business reasoning and there's no point fighting that: it's a well known franchise and an R-rating would mean less kids and makes it harder to get it shown in China and elsewhere in the world. But what they didn't necessarily have to get rid of was the over-the-top, almost satirical commentary. The world of the new Robocop is just plain bland in every regard, everything is clean and the world isn't that different from ours. I guess the plot is trying to make some point about drone warfare but it just doesn't take it far enough. Second, there was a promising attempt at genuine scifi with the notion that robots are faster, better and more efficient than humans in every regard, and that to achieve that in Robocop they actually had to trick the human part into thinking it's making the decisions when it's actually the robot. They they never went anywhere with that, which irks me. The entire movie could've been made about that premise alone.

And story-telling wise, while the ending mirrors somewhat the original, they managed to make it utterly boring. When in the original Robocop, the directives were incontrovertible and Robo couldn't shoot the old CEO dude until he was fired, this time around he just kind of forces himself to do so anyway with willpower. That's a cheap trick that shows lack of imagination. And that's not the only time in the movie where they resort to it.

The Phantom of the Opera - 2004 film - 10/10

The visuals and stage sets in the movie are amazing, as are the performances. Gerard Butler's "Phantom" is raw, scary, sensual, mesmerizing and touching all at the same time, which is particularly unsettling given that his character is a classic stalker/creeper dude.

I've seen the musical as stage performances as well, and never get tired of it.

The Phantom of the Opera - 2004 film - 10/10

The visuals and stage sets in the movie are amazing, as are the performances. Gerard Butler's "Phantom" is raw, scary, sensual, mesmerizing and touching all at the same time, which is particularly unsettling given that his character is a classic stalker/creeper dude.

I've seen the musical as stage performances as well, and never get tired of it.
Unless it has a scene where the phantom kicks someone in a hole shouting "THIS IS OPERA", I'll pass.

Boy in the striped pajamas 7/10

The komendant was an odd casting. Doesn't quite feel menacing enough. Best ending ever to anything. No spoilers, so I won't say more.

I do think it's a bit light. The scenes are just shot straight. There's very little use of symbolism and linking scenes. Gives it less of an emotional impact

The book was very much like that. Minimal emotional manipulation. I liked that it was stark.

It was written for upper primary school and left it to kids to make their own decisions.

London has Falling 7/10. Good action for a generic film.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 8.5/10. To hell with the critics, it's fun! Only spoiled by the main fight between the two heroes and the generic action after that.

Back
Top Bottom