• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The Day The Earth Stood Still the original S/F epic is far superior to the remake. Although the modern effects were out of this world, the original version was much more plausible therefore better in my view. 7/10 for the original 5/10 the sequel.

That film is Christian propaganda. Klaato is Jesus. Do you still like it as much now?
:eek: You kidding me!!!!

It's the Biblical story of Jesus with the names replaced. There's nothing subtle about it. If you watch it again, with this in mind, I promise you that the allegory will stick out like a sore thumb. It's really in-your-face.

Or Google it. I did a quick google of blogs and reviews talking about it's Christ allegory. 53 200 hits. I'm not the first to spot it.

A Jesus story? So who in the bible is Gort supposed to be? And Klaatu didn't die. Didn't even come close. So much for the Jesus angle.

- - - Updated - - -

No, they don't give a good reason why Magneto

needed a stadium lifted except to wow the audience.

He wanted to keep people away from the White House and since he didn't fly any of the ticket agents over, none of the cops or anyone can enter the stadium.

Except he can easily

disarm and discourage anyone with metal, so why would he be worried about cops?

- - - Updated - - -

The Negotiator starring a galaxy of fine stars like Kevin Spacey, Samuel L. Jackson and others too numerous to mention. It's a 1998 thriller where a good guy cop [Jackson] is charged with the assassination of his partner. He in desperation to clear his name takes hostages while trying to find out who killed his partner and the conspiracy to frame him.
Highly recommended for those who may have missed this gem. 9/10

Saw this years ago. It was a nice little police drama. Very much enjoyed it.

- - - Updated - - -

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
3/10
So this is the sequel to the big hit the Hunger Games
And I guess if you like the first movie this this one should be right up your alley
But for me the villains never really evolve to meet the new ideas of the brewing revolution, seeming to react with all the subtlety and intelligence of a 5 year old stealing a smaller kids lunch money
Which means they are not really menacing or interesting when the "big twist" happens
The "Love triangle" is just laughable and silly
And the whole "Hunger Games" bit is even more drab and sanitised then the first with most deaths being off screen and the contestants mostly just being faces with little to no personality behind them (Even more so then the first movie)
For the first film this holds true. The second film however, was very seriously about them being faces. They have to sell her image as a face to help drive a rebellion. The runner of the games also needed to sell her devotion to the other faces and how she wouldn't betray them. She is the face of the rebellion. Her image is critical!

Agree.

And there is no 'love triangle'. She's a teenage girl. She doesn't know what love is or what it even feels like. She has more important things to worry about. She only knows she cares about the people in her life and if that proves a conflict, she's not really worried about it.

The Wolverine
4/10
So this is the second of the Wolverine stand alone movies
and it is ok
It has good ideas and good themes running through it and it it an interesting idea for Wolverine to work his way around (essentially the soul crushing emptiness of immortality)
But the execution is kinda sloppy
The characters are all uneven, the plot is disjoineted and doesn't flow very well and the action scenes can be a bit of a drag
So it has the potential, but doesn't use it very well

X-Men: Days Of Future Past
6/10
This is a movie that I liked but felt it didn't reach as high as it could of
The whole idea of going back to stop the sentinals oddly left me feeling like they could have seen more of the sentinals and explored their beginnings more
And Bolivar Trask gets a great scene where he says he doesn't hate the mutants but admires them, then his character just kinda fades into the background and it isn't explored
I felt maybe if we got more action, and explored Trask more then the whole Raven/Eric/Charles trio it could have exceeded First Class
But as it was it does well and is definitely a good movie, but doesn't get quite as high as it could have

Godzilla
5/10
So this is the new American Godzilla movie
And IMO it works as a monster movie, but kinda fails at being a Godzilla movie
Mostly because Godzilla is relegated to the background of his own movie
Now I know it is ultimately the humans (Or Aliens, or Fairies depending on the Godzilla movie) that are needed to drive the plot forward and that is fine
But this movie focused way too much on Military McMeathead even to the point of cutting into Godzillas screen time
I also felt the MUTO's fell kinda flat
One was a poor mans Rodan and the other was a poor mans Destroyah, neither particularly memorable or interesting
So it isn't a bad movie, and it is an entertaining enough monster movie
but it isn't a Godzilla movie until Godzilla himself is given the space to really strut his stuff
For the first film this holds true. The second film however, was very seriously about them being faces. They have to sell her image as a face to help drive a rebellion. The runner of the games also needed to sell her devotion to the other faces and how she wouldn't betray them. She is the face of the rebellion. Her image is critical!
I meant they are "faces" in that the characters have no personality beyond their face, I don't remember anything about any of them and none of them had any personality worth mentioning
All the fighters beyond Katniss and Peeta are just a cardboard cutouts, completely interchageable and devoid of anything memorable or unique

I did get the whole idea of "destroying her image" and that part made alot of sense
Agree.

And there is no 'love triangle'. She's a teenage girl. She doesn't know what love is or what it even feels like. She has more important things to worry about. She only knows she cares about the people in her life and if that proves a conflict, she's not really worried about it.
I kept getting the feeling they were trying to push the whole "Peeta loves her. Katniss loves whatshisface etc"

The Day The Earth Stood Still the original S/F epic is far superior to the remake. Although the modern effects were out of this world, the original version was much more plausible therefore better in my view. 7/10 for the original 5/10 the sequel.

That film is Christian propaganda. Klaato is Jesus. Do you still like it as much now?
:eek: You kidding me!!!!

It's the Biblical story of Jesus with the names replaced. There's nothing subtle about it. If you watch it again, with this in mind, I promise you that the allegory will stick out like a sore thumb. It's really in-your-face.

Or Google it. I did a quick google of blogs and reviews talking about it's Christ allegory. 53 200 hits. I'm not the first to spot it.

A Jesus story? So who in the bible is Gort supposed to be? And Klaatu didn't die. Didn't even come close. So much for the Jesus angle.

It was a while since I saw it, but I'm pretty sure Klaatu did die, and then came back from the dead... temporarily. Gort even explains this in the film in case there's somebody in the audience who doesn't pick up on the Christ allegory.

It's an allegory. The lion, the witch and the wardrobe is also a Christ story allegory. C.S. Lewis has been quite upfront about this. His story still has characters that don't appear in the actual Bible. I have no idea who Gort is supposed to be. The disciples?

I thought that Gort was supposed to be analogous to the killer robot that Jesus sent against the Pharisees.

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" (original) might be a Jesus analogy, but Klaatu would be a real-world and potentially very effective Messiah. Not one of those faith-based, "you'll only know the truth in the afterlife (ha-ha)" type of messiahs.

And instead of supernatural power, he has extremely advanced technological power. Straighten up or Gort'll blow you up kind of power.

Does every character necessarily have to fit into an allegory for something to be an allegory?

Gort could simply be the wrath of God. Which actually would fit better.

That was my interpretation. Along with Klaatu's death and resurrection, his "human" name (Carpenter; why be subtle?), the US Army filling in for the Romans, etc., it seemed pretty straightforward, even when I first viewed it when I was 12.

Edge of Tomorrow: 7/10

this would be an 8 or maybe even a 9 if the final 3rd of the movie were a bit stronger (it's a bit weak for multiple reasons) - but other than that, this is a GREAT summer sci-fi movie.
it was tense when it was supposed to be, surprisingly funny and charming throughout, very well done in terms of cinematography, just overall a very good execution.
highly recommended, it's basically Ground Hog's Day and Starship Troopers put in a blender.

Edge of Tomorrow: 7/10

this would be an 8 or maybe even a 9 if the final 3rd of the movie were a bit stronger (it's a bit weak for multiple reasons) - but other than that, this is a GREAT summer sci-fi movie.
it was tense when it was supposed to be, surprisingly funny and charming throughout, very well done in terms of cinematography, just overall a very good execution.
highly recommended, it's basically Ground Hog's Day and Starship Troopers put in a blender.
You say it is 7 of 10 but bring up Starship Troopers?!

The only thing that I'd trust for this film is that Blunt is in it. She is good. But don't think I can get over the Cruise factor.

Check out the original story that the movie was based on: Farewell to the Master, by Harry Bates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farewell_to_the_Master

While I enjoyed the original movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still", the original story is different, and does not have the Jesus overtones.

From the Wikipia article:
"visitors from the Unknown" emerge: a "god-like" person in human form and an 8-foot (2.44 m) tall robot made of green metal.

God-like, eh? Nope, no Jesus overtones there :rolleyes:

:)

"visitors from the Unknown" emerge: a "god-like" person in human form and an 8-foot (2.44 m) tall robot made of green metal.

The whole thing about the guy with all the power. Mysterious. Hard to undestand. But with a murdered and human mouthpiece.

Nicole Kidman got a real pasting as a plastic actor who should stick to soapies as her acting in movies leaves much to be desired. In fact the movie Princess Grace would have been a lot better had any other actor but her played Princess Grace.
2.5/10

Jesus was a robot made of green metal?

Dude, the New Testament sounds awesome!

He had bread and fish-replicators, anti grav-boots and everything. Not to mention the turn-water-into-wine ray gun.

robojesus.jpg

Captain Phillips - A pretty strong drama, if somewhat fictional, about the actual hijacking of a Cargo vessel by Somali pirates. I thought they did a good job of at least offering a little bit to the side of the pirates, who were pretty much fished out of a job and desperate. I have never been impressed with Hanks acting. I think he is over-rated. Not a bad actor, just not a great one. However, his acting once on the Navy vessel was unbelievable. It is incredible that Obama wasn't impeached for deciding to take action. He killed three people who had their second amendment rights violated! 3 of 4

Under Siege 2 Not as good as the original. Steven Segal is the American James Bond. It's ok for fans of action thrillers, as long as you don't expect too much. 5/10

Back
Top Bottom