• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Is there a separate thread for those of us who want to share our thoughts of how horrible Star Trek Into Darkness was? And it wasn't just offensive to Star Trek fans, but all intelligent movie-goers.

On the other hand X-Men: Days of Future Past was quite enjoyable, despite its flaws.

I for one ALWAYS enjoy the "everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot" point of view.

I liked Star Trek Into Darkness. And I liked Wrath of Khan.
I didn't think it was a bad film, just an unnecessary one. The only worse thing than time travel now is a remix.

What bothered me a bit was Khan killing the big bad Starfleet guy. It just cleaned that up too easily for Kirk.

Is there a separate thread for those of us who want to share our thoughts of how horrible Star Trek Into Darkness was? And it wasn't just offensive to Star Trek fans, but all intelligent movie-goers.

On the other hand X-Men: Days of Future Past was quite enjoyable, despite its flaws.

I for one ALWAYS enjoy the "everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot" point of view.

I didn't think it was a bad film, just an unnecessary one. The only worse thing than time travel now is a remix.

What bothered me a bit was Khan killing the big bad Starfleet guy. It just cleaned that up too easily for Kirk.

I never take Star Trek very seriously. I like the re-boots because they inject great special effects and action into an otherwise lame (to me) and pretentious and cheesy TV show from the 60s. I must confess that when I was a kid watching Star Trek in its original run (around age 8-10), I preferred Lost in Space to Star Trek.

Now you will never trust my opinion on anything :(

The Housekeeper
2/10
So this is a French movie about a divorcee who ends up falling for his much younger housekeeper
This movie had an interesting premise, good acting and some good presentation
But when it comes to the final package it just lets itself down in so many little ways
Firstly characters come and go, bringing in plot points which are not relevant, are never resolved before they disappear into the ether and so it can be really distracting to go "oh the ex wife is back.... and now she is gone 5 seconds later never to return"
Secondly there seem to be some scenes missing, and I mean missing because at times the plot just seems to jump ahead and miss vital plot points (Like the beginning of their relationship which builds slowly the initial attraction until BAM they are suddenly madly in love)
This happens several times and each time it feels jarring to just have events suddenly spike in a different direction without any real warning
And Thirdly the male lead can come across as a little....stalker-ish in the early parts
I get that they are trying to make him kinda desperate for meaningful contact with people (And breaking through the rut he is in), but his actions sometimes seems a little creepy, aadd in the abrupt shifts and sometimes it is even worse
So while there is stuff in this movie to love, I think it's flaws just drag it down way too much to be worth watching

The Astounding She Monster (1958)
5/10
So this one is about an alien who comes to earth and people start getting killed
And it is alright for what it is
The small cast all work well, none are given anything really sudstantial to work with but they all just seem to have a bit of fun so I didn't mind
The effects are not too bad, although the film quality wasn't great and you can often see lots of little mistakes (but then to me that made it better, if you don't like really bad effects though then this movie might not be for you)
The plot is pretty simple, and it's biggest problem is that it is "People go inside, alien attack, people go outside, alien chases them back inside" repeated about 5 times
But if you have nothing else, or want a bit of old timey sci-fi you can do worse then this

The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1959)
7/10
I really liked this movie
Essentially it is about a scientist trying to pioneer medical research into transplants and saving people who are recently dead
So when his girlfriend is decapitated in a car crash he uses his new techniques to keep her head alive until he can transplant it onto a new body
And overall it delivers a solid and entertaining movie
The main entertainment for me was Virginia Leith as the head in a tray who was easily the best performance of the movie
Although the other actors all play their parts well througout the movie
The effects can be a little hit and miss, with the end monster being great up until the point that you see him on screen but the whole head on a tray bits were done surprisingly well and didn't look over the top or too corny at all
And the script can get a little preachy about "the daaangers of mad science" but the script delivers enough to cover this well
So I definitely give this one a recommend as it is well worth a watch

Well I was home alone on Saturday and so I watched 'The Wedding Date' (A rom com), bitterly disappointed. I expected it to be more along the lines of a comedy like 'The Wedding Singer', but it wasn't. Both lead characters looked and acted like lumps of wood with no enthusiasm for the part let alone each other.

2/10.

I'm about a third of the way through "The Unknown Known," Errol Morris' film on Rumsfeld. I decided to take a break, partially because it is getting late, and partially because now I want to punch my television to get that smirking bastard's face off of it.

The Brain Eaters
4/10
This movie has mind controlling aliens (Who aren't aliens but the space ship is never properly explained)
Overall it isn't bad
The actors are all serviceable enough, the effects are decent for the time and the script is nice and solid
But it was just not that interesting, it plays it quite safe and in the end nothing really stands out as memorable
So not bad, and you could watch worse, but you will probably forget this movie as soon as it is finished

Poseidon Rex
0/10
Boring, boring, booooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrring
This movie is bad in pretty much every way
And it isn't even entertaining bad
All the actors just look bored
All the effects go way beyond cheap
and the plot just kinda meanders without any real care for what is going on
Just avoid this movie

Dracula has Risen From The Grave
3/10
I was kinda disappointed in this one
Although Christopher Lee is pretty epic in the role of Dracula and brings alot of menace to something as simple as staring he is criminally underused and the attention stays for far too long on other much less interesting characters
And that was the disappointment for me
For the first half of the movie Dracula appears only 2-3 times mostly in shots of him doing nothing
And when he finally does get to do stuff it is a "too little too late" kinda deal as the main pair has already bored you out of your skull
So we get a rushed ending which doesn't satisfy
I am still tempted to try other Lee Dracula movies as he was good
but this one just didn't hold up very well

All Cheerleaders Die

Not exactly as exploitative as I'd have preferred, but still an entertaining horror-comedy from beginning to end. Good performances all around, impressively brutal violence, and a plot that moved fast enough to prevent me from analyzing the magic like that one critic.

8/10

:realitycheck:

Semi Pro 2008 starring Will Ferrel and Woody Harrrelson. A hapless basketball team try to strike back. It's a spoof of sorts but fails to excite. The overrated Ferrel over acts as usual.

As comedies go if one hasn't anything else to do like clipping your toenails etc, may be worth a peek, but doubt you'll watch it all. 4/10

Last weekend I watched a documentary that kept popping up on my Netflix feed. It was called "Milius," and it did not disappoint.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2370224/

The names of the film makers who came out of the USC film school in the early 70s are well known. Coppola. Spielberg. Lucas. And the renegade of the group that never got the fame, money, or credit, John Milius.

The writer behind Dirty Harry. Apocalypse Now. Conan the Barbarian. Red Dawn. Director, producer, surfer, right wing gun nut, and Hollywood original. His successes were as epic as his failures, and he might very well have been the last maverick allowed to run free for a moment before corporations took control of the film industry.

Hoping someone here can give me the title of a film from a few plot points.

A voiceover talks about "carers" and "donors" while a woman watches through glass as a man seems to be being prepared for surgery. There are other surgical scars on him, and I felt that he was about to donate something he couldn't afford to lose.

Then the film regresses to her childhood in a strange boarding school where you know you will get explanation for the odd occurrences later but then the timer ran out. 1978, but a different reality from ours.

I would really like to see the rest of this film.

Nevermind. Never Let Me Go. It's amazing how little information Google needs to point you in the right direction.

John Q

Acting is fine, nothing amazing. It's about a father, played by Denzel Washington, who holds people hostage in a hospital because the hospital refused to treat his son. I'm not really sure how to rate it, but it seems to portray the father in a positive light even though he threatened to kill innocent people and I despise the mentality of doing anything for family or loved ones.

The Amazing Spider-Man Was this remake really necessary? Shithousen of the first degree. 3.5/10

Sony has to release a Spider-Man movie every few years or else lose the rights to the character.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Mr. Watterson

Lovely little documentary for Calvin & Hobbes fan.

Frozen by Disney, 2/10.

Granted that I am a little old for the target demographic, my wife and I watched it because we hear all about it in our theater circles. What a boring, formulaic bunch of pablum. Even the bulk of the songs were just lame. Totally disappointed.

I liked Star Trek into Darkness too. Wrath of Khan was also enjoyed by me.

I liked Star Trek into Darkness too. Wrath of Khan was also enjoyed by me.

Look, I'm not saying that you can't enjoy Star Trek Into Darkness. I'm just saying you didn't enjoy it because it was a paragon of Star Trek storytelling. Nor did you enjoy it because it had a coherent, logical plot or stimulating dialogue.

Back
Top Bottom