• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Not sure where the Monty Python references were either.
i disagree that it loses steam but that's because i thought the ending was lovely, as it pivoted from the black comedy aspects into a look at two very sweet relationships: one just starting, and one in its twilight years.

the references and quotes were sprinkled throughout the movie, many of them quite innocuous on their own but when you realize there's like 15 of them it becomes a pattern.

Alita: Battle Angel - 8/10

I read the manga it was based on years ago. (an excellent series) They changed some of the elements around, added a new character, pulled in a couple things from later storylines. But overall they managed to pull it together rather well. My wife hasn't read the manga, and she also thought it was pretty good, and hopes there is a sequel.

For those not familiar with the story, first off it is going to be a big CG action film so if that is not your thing you can skip it. It takes place a few hundred years in the future. After some devastating war there was only one floating sky city left. That city's trash drops down into a pile beneath it called the scrapyard. Most people live on the surface in a city built around the scrapyard. Dr. Ido, an exile from the sky city and expert cyberneticist searches the scrapyard for usable spare parts, and finds a cyborg girl (her head and upper torso anyway) and is surprised to find she is still alive. He revives her and builds her a new body. She has no memories so he takes her in as a kind of daughter. Eventually we find out in her previous life she was a warrior, master of a martial arts style developed for cyborgs called Panzer Kunst. Alita is sweet, caring, kind, and will gladly rip you a new asshole if she feels like it.

When stars become Have Been. Kurt Russel must've been desperate to accept a role in this weird film. Bone Tomahawk.

The plot: Four men set out to rescue a group of captives.

3/10

The Final Countdown

I think it was made in 1980. I've seen it before, but not for a long, long time. It still holds up.

It's an interesting potential alt-history flick that backs off at the last minute to let history play out as it was "meant to."

A modern aircraft carrier passes through some kind of weird storm that takes it back in time to December 6, 1941, the day before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. The ensuing dilemma about whether or not to prevent the attack is interesting and entertaining.

Alt-history is such a great untapped genre. I wish they would make more movies where the whole scenario would play out. For example, although Red Dawn isn't a great movie, and certainly not realistic, the premise was still quite intriguing. Why not the same thing with a Cold War WW3 scenario where the Soviets really do invade the west, or where the allies decide to attack the Soviets with the A-bomb immediately following WW2, etc. These types of novels are pretty popular and the popularity of The Man in the High Castle, even though it's slow and has a horrible main protagonist is proof that more of these types of movies/series could work.

Oh: 6/10 for the movie.

The Final Countdown

I think it was made in 1980. I've seen it before, but not for a long, long time. It still holds up.

It's an interesting potential alt-history flick that backs off at the last minute to let history play out as it was "meant to."

A modern aircraft carrier passes through some kind of weird storm that takes it back in time to December 6, 1941, the day before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. The ensuing dilemma about whether or not to prevent the attack is interesting and entertaining.

Alt-history is such a great untapped genre. I wish they would make more movies where the whole scenario would play out. For example, although Red Dawn isn't a great movie, and certainly not realistic, the premise was still quite intriguing. Why not the same thing with a Cold War WW3 scenario where the Soviets really do invade the west, or where the allies decide to attack the Soviets with the A-bomb immediately following WW2, etc. These types of novels are pretty popular and the popularity of The Man in the High Castle, even though it's slow and has a horrible main protagonist is proof that more of these types of movies/series could work.

Oh: 6/10 for the movie.

I remember watching that. It's actually a good film. What I miss about the 1980'ies sensibilities is when the characters are faced with something utterly bizarre and other-wordly, then just accept it and move on, as if it's no biggie. I had a lot of fun watching that.

Tag on Netflix. I couldn't complete watching this crapola to the end. I finally decided kill it at 52 minutes in to a 1.40 minute non comedy, non drama, non anything. Why do they insist on making these shithousen movies?

One month every year, five highly competitive friends hit the ground running for a no-holds-barred game of tag -- risking their necks, their jobs and their relationships to take one another down. This time, the game coincides with the wedding of the only undefeated player. What should be an easy target soon becomes an all-out war as he knows they're coming to get him.
Release date: 14 June 2018 (Australia)
Director: Jeff Tomsic
Box office: 78.1 million USD
Based on: It Takes Planning, Caution to Avoid Being It; by Russell Adams

1.5/10

Tag on Netflix. I couldn't complete watching this crapola to the end. I finally decided kill it at 52 minutes in to a 1.40 minute non comedy, non drama, non anything. Why do they insist on making these shithousen movies?

One month every year, five highly competitive friends hit the ground running for a no-holds-barred game of tag -- risking their necks, their jobs and their relationships to take one another down. This time, the game coincides with the wedding of the only undefeated player. What should be an easy target soon becomes an all-out war as he knows they're coming to get him.

1.5/10

I liked that movie, I would give it a 5.

The end credits show the home videos of the real people involved in the story and how many of the things they depict actually happened.

Captain Marvel 7/10

I enjoyed the movie pretty well. The only real complaint I had was that the fight CGI wasn't terribly good, which was a problem that also plagued Black Panther IMO. They did a great job on the Skrulls, however.

Alita: Battle Angel - 8/10

I read the manga it was based on years ago. (an excellent series) They changed some of the elements around, added a new character, pulled in a couple things from later storylines. But overall they managed to pull it together rather well. My wife hasn't read the manga, and she also thought it was pretty good, and hopes there is a sequel.

For those not familiar with the story, first off it is going to be a big CG action film so if that is not your thing you can skip it. It takes place a few hundred years in the future. After some devastating war there was only one floating sky city left. That city's trash drops down into a pile beneath it called the scrapyard. Most people live on the surface in a city built around the scrapyard. Dr. Ido, an exile from the sky city and expert cyberneticist searches the scrapyard for usable spare parts, and finds a cyborg girl (her head and upper torso anyway) and is surprised to find she is still alive. He revives her and builds her a new body. She has no memories so he takes her in as a kind of daughter. Eventually we find out in her previous life she was a warrior, master of a martial arts style developed for cyborgs called Panzer Kunst. Alita is sweet, caring, kind, and will gladly rip you a new asshole if she feels like it.

Mune: Guardian of the Moon

Finally got around to watching this before it disappears from the Netflix lineup, and I am very glad I did. It's a gem.

The story follows a familiar outline: a young person is called upon to perform a very important task and must rise to the occasion. But the world in which it takes place is truly inspired. The creatures are marvelous, the way the world 'works' is interesting and entertaining, and the Temple of the Moon is sublime. I wish the storyline had been a bit stronger but I don't mind a simple, straightforward tale when it's told as beautifully as this one.

8/10

1.5/10

I liked that movie, I would give it a 5.

The end credits show the home videos of the real people involved in the story and how many of the things they depict actually happened.

I'm afraid I didn't, nor did I want to see the credits. It's bad enough I wasted 50 odd minutes of my life which I'll never get back watching this Rotten Tomatoes nominee.

Immortel (Ad Vitam)

I've seen it before, but am watching it again. Where do I start?

It's a dystopian science fiction film (my favorite) made in France in 2004. It's about half early CGI (think Final Fantasy) and half live action. It looks dated on that front, and it's frankly bonkers. Near as I can describe it, the ancient Egyptian gods have returned to Earth in giant pyramid space ships and have re-inserted themselves into our society. One of them gets involved with a blue-haired genetically engineered woman named Jill (played by the radiant Linda Hardy) and Nikopol...a criminal who was imprisoned in stasis, then set free and possessed by the god. The government is after them both, and then it gets really weird.

I give it 3 bags of popcorn out of 6 Twizzlers.

The Matrix

Watching it currently. It is leaving Amazon Prime tomorrow so my brain went "better watch it now!" despite the fact that I have the DVD.

Wild to think that it's been exactly 20 years since it debuted. It was groundbreaking in so many ways, and it still holds up. I'm gonna keep watching and pretend the sequels didn't happen.

8/10

Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange is a 1971 dystopian crime film adapted, produced, and directed by Stanley Kubrick, based on Anthony Burgess's 1962 novella A Clockwork Orange. It employs disturbing, violent images to comment on psychiatry, juvenile delinquency, youth gangs, and other social, political, and economic subjects in a dystopian near-future Britain.

One weird MF of a movie. Stanley Kubrick weird!

4/10

The Dirt, 8/10; Netflix movie based on the autobiography of the band Motley Crue. A very entertaining movie about the glam rock, hard partying band. Not much emphasis on the music which suited me as I am not a fan. The acting performances were all good and the movie clipped along at a good pace.

Immortel (Ad Vitam)

I've seen it before, but am watching it again. Where do I start?

It's a dystopian science fiction film (my favorite) made in France in 2004. It's about half early CGI (think Final Fantasy) and half live action. It looks dated on that front, and it's frankly bonkers. Near as I can describe it, the ancient Egyptian gods have returned to Earth in giant pyramid space ships and have re-inserted themselves into our society. One of them gets involved with a blue-haired genetically engineered woman named Jill (played by the radiant Linda Hardy) and Nikopol...a criminal who was imprisoned in stasis, then set free and possessed by the god. The government is after them both, and then it gets really weird.

I give it 3 bags of popcorn out of 6 Twizzlers.

Based on an amazing comic book by Bilal. Was one of my favourite growing up.

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies 6/10

A little low budget with actors I've mostly never heard of, it's exactly what the title implies. It's Pride & Prejudice, even to the point of having identical lines at times, but with the addition of zombies. Entertaining enough and kind of fun if you've seen or read the original story without zombies.

The Human Centipede 2 (6/10)

Fun idea that this is based on a man watching the Human Centipede 1 and wishes to replicate it. Which makes it a quite different film. Also, great idea that it's seen from the perspective of the "psycho". That said, it's not particularly ground breaking. The perpetrator has the most evil mother conceivable. Severely mentally ill. Which pushes her son over the line.

spoiler:

Also fun that he fails completely as well as managing to abduct an actress from the original film who talks about her experiences being in the original film in this film. meta meta meta

Back
Top Bottom