• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Who should I vote for?

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
Tomorrow is Super Tuesday and I vote. I still haven’t made up my mind.

Biden? Bernie? Klobuchar? Or Warren?

Give me your best arguments for one of them.

TIA!

TIA!

My plan is to vote for whomever has the best chance of beating Mango Unchained. At this moment, it seems both Biden and Bernie are about equal in that respect. Since I prefer Bernie, he will get my vote. We vote next week.

TIA!

What would be the most important issues to you when deciding who to vote for?

IMHO, trying to triangulate around who best beats Trump is a fools errand. Last time around, Hillary Clinton was a lock to beat him. I read little to nothing into head to head national polls right now.

TIA!

I think any of the people you mention in your post would be competent leaders and probably have roughly even odds of beating Trump, except that the two female candidates won't get enough votes tomorrow to stay in the race at all. What issues are fundamentally important to you?

Sanders

1. polls consistently show him having the best chance to beat trump
2. he is not taking corporate/dark money
3. will fight for actual change, not just talk about it then try for half-measures that end up getting watered down
4. he actually means what he is talking about. There are no old tapes of him supporting the opposite of what he is saying now, he is as you see him
5. I like warren too, but she has been falling behind and is currently unlikely to get the nomination.

If state level primary polls are to be believed, likely only Sanders, Biden and Bloomberg will be left standing after Tuesday.

I think the difference between Biden and Sanders can best be summed up as a vote for Biden would be a return to the trajectory of the Obama years, and a vote for Sanders would be a rejection of that trajectory. It really is a question of whether you believe the Obama years took us in the right or wrong direction, after allowing for the co-ordinated (and unprecedented) partisan opposition he had to deal with.

It also depends whether you vote narrow self interest or are concerned about issues that affect others. As this virus spread demonstrates, sometimes self-interest means caring about the issues that affect others. I don't want to catch it (a significantly greater danger now that it has descended on Tampa) simply because I got it from someone who either couldn't afford to get it checked out, or wasn't entitled to sick leave.

If state level primary polls are to be believed, likely only Sanders, Biden and Bloomberg will be left standing after Tuesday.

I think the difference between Biden and Sanders can best be summed up as a vote for Biden would be a return to the trajectory of the Obama years, and a vote for Sanders would be a rejection of that trajectory. It really is a question of whether you believe the Obama years took us in the right or wrong direction, after allowing for the co-ordinated (and unprecedented) partisan opposition he had to deal with.

It also depends whether you vote narrow self interest or are concerned about issues that affect others. As this virus spread demonstrates, sometimes self-interest means caring about the issues that affect others. I don't want to catch it (a significantly greater danger now that it has descended on Tampa) simply because I got it from someone who either couldn't afford to get it checked out, or wasn't entitled to sick leave.

More, Biden is clearly out of touch and fairly senile. Almost as senile as Trump. He's not doing so hot.

So the real discussion is do you want a senile old man, a greedy old man, or Bernie (who is also an old man). Personally, I think the best 'old man' is neither the greedy nor the senile ones.

I do not believe Biden will be anything like Obama. Obama selected Biden because he was the conservative token to "moderates".

Speaking for myself, both of those issues are irrelevant because both Biden and Sanders are too old and in poor enough health that their candidacies are irresponsible.

I think Biden is a decent man but I don't see him as Obama Lite and I think that's the best one can say of his candidacy. I think he's a decent human being who has a lot of relevant experience and I think he's respected in Congress and on the world stage--and yes, those are very important qualities. See our current situation for reference if you need convincing. He has sufficient real life human experiences that I think make him capable of relating to ordinary human beings. I admire and respect him.

I see Sanders as a self centered egomaniac who is not well liked or well respected in Congress nor on the world stage and yes, that matters: see our current situation. In addition: I think he lacks a certain level of integrity seeking out the Democratic nomination while not actually being a member except in name only/when convenient for him. I think integrity is important. Sanders' brand is also that he's held these beliefs for so many decades! In that I see: a) someone who is incapable of acknowledging areas of weakness or of admitting when they are wrong and b) someone who is incapable of actual growth, personally and ideologically. I'm significantly younger than Sanders but not so much younger that I don't remember very well men like him who were self proclaimed leaders of a progressive new way and who SAID they supported women/women's rights/feminism and persons of color but who, in reality, had some really ugly regressive views about women. See recently surfaced essays that Bernie wrote in the 70's when he was a full fledged adult by all measures.

In my view, if you are looking for a good progressive candidate, Warren is a much better candidate. She's on the old side, yes, but she's significantly younger than Sanders is and much more vigorous and has no known health issues, unlike Sanders. Unlike Sanders, she's also built a very strong reputation for working well with others and across the aisle. She's a much better bet, imo, than Sanders if you are interested in advancing a progressive agenda. Their agendas are nearly identical but hers actually has details and plans, not just broad Trust Me I remind you of your cranky old grandpa only 'progressive.' Warren is tough minded and strong enough to stand up to McConnell and Graham and Putin and others who oppose US interests.

Klobuchar is a solid bet if you are more interested in a centrist. She is also tough, strong, She's also the youngest still standing and I think that is not inconsequential. She has significant relevant experience and background that indicate that she is willing and quite able to tackle difficult issues and to work with others to get resolution. I like her and admire her.

I would be happy to vote for either Warren or Klobuchar, who are vastly different candidates but who have shown themselves to be persons with integrity, grit, and ability and willingness to put the people of the United States first and foremost in executing the duties of POTUS. They've done so in their service as Senators and have won the admiration and respect of other Senators and congresspeople.

I'll vote for Biden with some misgivings or for Sanders with a great many misgivings, holding my nose as I mark my ballot.

Since it's a foregone conclusion that Michael Bloomberg is evil incarnate because, you know, he's the "B" word and after 78 years on this planet he does not pass the 2020 purity test. As we used to say in the Navy, "One aw shit wipes out a whole lot of atta boys". So, he's a scratch from the get-go.

Now Elizabeth Warren, the non-fiction version of Bernie Sanders is old but still quite sharp. She is my darling from years past. If she has a fault, it is she is too much the politician, trying to be all things to all people and too willing to amend her ideals as she goes. She doesn't have a prayer. For now, I think she mostly peals away the sane ones from The Bern. So, stay in Elizabeth.

Amy, my second choice after Pete is sadly a dead woman walking. Here again, if my vote was the statement of my conscience, if I absolutely would not compromise my integrity, I'd vote Amy. Luckily, I not afflicted with such nonsensical thoughts. I'm am afflicted with the reality of Trump though so this go around, screw my integrity.

I don't know if the thought soup coming out of Biden's mouth is cognitive decline or just some aspect of his childhood stutter from nervousness. Time will tell. But he is the safest, I don't want my country to slip into an autocracy vote. So, Joe it is.

Sanders. Sanders, Sanders, Sanders. Just when I thought he couldn't get any more regoddamndiculous, this statement comes out of his campaign of not wanting Bloomberg's help going forward. I think he'll get it whether he wants it or not. Bernie may have his head up a unicorn's ass but Bloomberg knows what's at stake here. But, If you have dreams of good quality healthcare for everyone, good quality education for everyone, the climate put on the right path in ten years or less, and all the other great things we dream about dashed before your very eyes in the halls of Congress, I suggest you vote for Bernie Sanders cause AOC said so.

Oh, and Don't forget Tulsi. She's still in it to do something with it.

But, If you have dreams of good quality healthcare for everyone, good quality education for everyone, the climate put on the right path in ten years or less, and all the other great things we dream about dashed before your very eyes in the halls of Congress, I suggest you vote for Bernie Sanders cause AOC said so.

If the choice is between someone from the moderate wing who won't fight for these things and haven't delivered them in the past (indeed, takes money given to ensure they won't fight), and someone who will fight for them but can't possibly deliver them, then what hope is there for the millions of people who desperately need these things but can't get them?

I watched a John Oliver segment last week about universal healthcare. They featured an American woman who has to decide between heart medication and insulin. She desperately needs both but can't afford them both. She chose heart medication and is prepared to accept getting diabetes down the road because diabetes won't kill her as quickly as not taking heart medication will. This is where we are at. As a country. It's not acceptable to me, and I don't understand why it isn't acceptible to others.

As a coda, I read an article in The Intercept today about a Sanders line item back in 2000 to reintroduce the reasonable pricing rule for drugs (like say a Coronavirus vaccine) developed with public funding, that was rescinded by the Clinton Administration in the mid-90s. It was defeated in the Senate by Biden, amongst others. But sure, Sanders is the "egomaniac" and Biden is a "decent guy".

I see this all the time from moderates who think their flag-bearers are the people they see on TV saying stuff, and not the people they don't see in private doing things. Doing things matters a lot more than saying things. To me. In a Frontline documentary about the opioid crisis, they highlighted legislation Obama signed into law in his second term making it significantly harder to prosecute pharma executives for fraud. At the exact same time Purdue and the Sackler family were engaged in selling as much Oxycontin as possible to whomever, and were actively lying about how addictive it was.

TIA!

Biden, by process of elimination.

If you aren't an accelerationist: vote for Bernie Sanders. His base of support is the future of politics in America, and they, not he, are the most important reason to get him elected. The natural progression of money in the political process has led to Donald Trump, and the antidote is an incorruptible left-leaning Brooklyn Jew whose movement is either hyper-vigilant and makes history in the next four years (should he win) or becomes despondent and apathetic for a generation (should he lose). Choose what side of the next decade you want to be on, because this isn't the end, it's the beginning. He isn't immune to pressure from his constituents on things he's wrong about, and is the only good-intentioned candidate in the race.

If you are an accelerationist: vote for anyone else. Demonstrate to the new generation of young adults, growing up in the bubble of settler-colonial privilege and wanting to create a just world, that electoralism is a dead end. Help shake them free of the mantra bestowed upon them by their reactionary parents, that voting for someone to represent an evil empire is a viable path to turning it into a good empire. Also disabuse them of the notion that there is such a thing as a good empire. Show them that to confront the existential threat of climate change and the tide of ecofascism it brings, mass mobilization and protest will not be enough. Educate and agitate the disaffected liberals and social democrats who, after Trump's second term, will inch closer to understanding what needs to happen if we are going to survive as a species.

But, If you have dreams of good quality healthcare for everyone, good quality education for everyone, the climate put on the right path in ten years or less, and all the other great things we dream about dashed before your very eyes in the halls of Congress, I suggest you vote for Bernie Sanders cause AOC said so.

If the choice is between someone from the moderate wing who won't fight for these things and haven't delivered them in the past (indeed, takes money given to ensure they won't fight), and someone who will fight for them but can't possibly deliver them, then what hope is there for the millions of people who desperately need these things but can't get them?

You do what Obama did. You move the ball down field instead of lobbing a Hail Mary at everything. Do you doubt any of the candidates commitment to fixing and (Congress willing) expanding ObamaCare?

You do what Obama did. You move the ball down field instead of lobbing a Hail Mary at everything. Do you doubt any of the candidates commitment to fixing and (Congress willing) expanding ObamaCare?

People who are dying from lack of medical care but can't afford to get treatment don't have the luxury of waiting for the ball to inch down the field, and they aren't helped by Obamacare. If you care about them, and don't view politics as a football game that you watch from the sidelines, then join the millions of people who are trying to carry that ball into the endzone, and help them recruit more.

Sometimes a Hail Mary is the correct play. People are suffering and dying due to the US' fucked up for profit medical system.

Not to mention if Bernie gets elected and fails to get M4A enacted, he would still surely support major reforms to the system.

Klobuchar OUT
Too bad - she was my favorite Republican in the race.

Looks like the B team is going to represent the Dems in November. Like Ziprhead I sense Bernie and Biden as equally likely to Beat the Cheat (Bloomy can go build himself his own damn Whitehouse if he wants one that badly), and like Zipr I actually prefer Bernie as less senile and more likely to select a progressive VP. So there it is - I have convinced myself to vote for Bernie.

Klobuchar OUT
Too bad - she was my favorite Republican in the race.

Looks like the B team is going to represent the Dems in November. Like Ziprhead I sense Bernie and Biden as equally likely to Beat the Cheat (Bloomy can go build himself his own damn Whitehouse if he wants one that badly), and like Zipr I actually prefer Bernie as less senile and more likely to select a progressive VP. So there it is - I have convinced myself to vote for Bernie.

<gloating> ;)

Back
Top Bottom