• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why are we here?

Anyone have a specific answer to this question beyond "divine plan"?

Why are there at least 100 octillion stars, or 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars, in the universe relative to a "divine plan" all about humans on one planet around just one of those stars?

I think there are only two possible answers to this question - random noise or the whim of the one above all. If you accept the first, then there is no further questions. If you accept the second, then the next question is what was His purpose? It would be hard to believe that all reality was done on a mere whim. Consider that...

I think there are only two possible answers to this question - random noise or the whim of the one above all.

Those are answers to a different question than "Why are we here?" Namely, the question "How did we come to be here?"

If you accept the first, then there is no further questions.

Actually, you can just not accept the second without accepting the first. And by the way, not accepting that a magic sky-daddy created us does not mean that one can't have questions.

If you accept the second, then the next question is what was His purpose?

Which would be asking "Why are we here?"

It would be hard to believe that all reality was done on a mere whim.

Why? Suppose there is a creator God. Why would you expect its reasons for doing anything to conform to your wishes as to why it did those things?

Consider that...

It seems you're posting in spurts...or if you're asking me to consider something, what exactly is it you want me to consider that you think I haven't already considered? (Your post contains nothing new at all).

It would be hard to believe that all reality was done on a mere whim. Consider that...
Wait. You said one of the only possible answers was a whim, then you find it hard to accept one of the only possible answers?

And, like, you can't think of any other answers than those two? Like, maybe there isn't one above all, but six or so, above many?
Would it make a difference in your evaluation if it's possible that God number one made stars, and god number 2 made people?
Or a committee of seven collectively holding position number five, after Cosmos, Time, Forces, and interior plumbing?

But then again, maybe you have some evidence on hand that forces you to trim it all down to two options? Or were you just buying into the dominant dichotomy you were exposed to socially during crucial developmental years?

To understand all the function keys on my universal remote?

I would say understanding your remote
No, wait.
Wow.
Like, a UNIVERSAL remote.

Maybe someone dropped his remote. And it's someplace he can't reach.
The purpose of the UNIVERSE is to FIND the UNIVERSAL remote.
All of creation is one big yardstick set to sweeping under the fridge or the piano to retrieve one object and about a hundred dried up Cheerios, two hair scrunchies, a candy wrapper and that thing that fell off the speed dialer a million years ago.

I would say understanding your remote
No, wait.
Wow.
Like, a UNIVERSAL remote.

Maybe someone dropped his remote. And it's someplace he can't reach.
The purpose of the UNIVERSE is to FIND the UNIVERSAL remote.
All of creation is one big yardstick set to sweeping under the fridge or the piano to retrieve one object and about a hundred dried up Cheerios, two hair scrunchies, a candy wrapper and that thing that fell off the speed dialer a million years ago.

You're welcome

I didn't say so... I asked.

But that's not what I said.

Then what do you think you said? "To understand" is vague, to say the least. To understand all the function keys on my universal remote?

I would say understanding your remote may be a sort of fractal. If that helps you, go for it.

Several posts in now and still I'm no closer to understanding what is is you think we're supposed to understand, or why you think that why we are here is to understand whatever it is that you can't or won't say we're supposed to understand.

To read posts. To meditate on what others have to say, and to in turn post our own thoughts and replies. Its known as 'communication'.

Some are inclined to use the opportunity to pontificate about matters they know nothing about.

I think there are only two possible answers to this question - random noise or the whim of the one above all. If you accept the first, then there is no further questions. If you accept the second, then the next question is what was His purpose? It would be hard to believe that all reality was done on a mere whim. Consider that...

Nah, there is only one possible answer to this question - "I don't know, and neither does anyone else".

If you want to pretend that you know, you might be able to fool yourself; but you are not fooling me.

You don't know, and your claim to know that it is 'the whim of the one above all' is so obviously unfounded in anything but your desire to avoid admitting that you don't know as to be proof positive that you really don't know.

Perhaps a better and more fundamental question is 'Why are people so reluctant to admit that there are things they don't know?'

It would be hard to believe that all reality was done on a mere whim. Consider that...
Wait. You said one of the only possible answers was a whim, then you find it hard to accept one of the only possible answers?

Picky, you know what I mean.

And, like, you can't think of any other answers than those two?

They all can be reduced to these two.

Like, maybe there isn't one above all, but six or so, above many?
Would it make a difference in your evaluation if it's possible that God number one made stars, and god number 2 made people?

No, it would not.

Consider the question -- what might the whim have been that led to us being here?

Nah, there is only one possible answer to this question - "I don't know, and neither does anyone else".

If you want to pretend that you know, you might be able to fool yourself; but you are not fooling me.

You don't know, and your claim to know that it is 'the whim of the one above all' is so obviously unfounded in anything but your desire to avoid admitting that you don't know as to be proof positive that you really don't know.

Perhaps a better and more fundamental question is 'Why are people so reluctant to admit that there are things they don't know?'

So your answer to the question of "why are we here?" is that it is as a result of random noise?

So your answer to the question of "why are we here?" is that it is as a result of random noise?

"I don't know, and neither does anyone else"

No mention of 'random noise' there.

You don't know; I don't know; Nobody knows.

It's really that simple.

Why is this so hard for you to accept?

I didn't say so... I asked.

But that's not what I said.

Then what do you think you said? "To understand" is vague, to say the least. To understand all the function keys on my universal remote?

I would say understanding your remote may be a sort of fractal. If that helps you, go for it.

Several posts in now and still I'm no closer to understanding what is is you think we're supposed to understand, or why you think that why we are here is to understand whatever it is that you can't or won't say we're supposed to understand.

I don't think you're serious.

Remember the words of the King of Hearts: "If there's no meaning in it,' said the King, `that saves a world of trouble, you know, as we needn't try to find any."

Back
Top Bottom