• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why Atheists Get the Idea of "Faith" Wrong

faith being believing in something which can not be proven.
this is the crux of the argument. He disagrees with this definition.
No, the religious disagree with that definition. Contrary to what many atheists assert, the religious do not define faith as belief in what can't be proved. So what I disagree with is what the atheists here claim is the meaning of faith according to the religious.

Since this is evidently so hard to understand, let's take it in steps. Do you realize that the religious do not define faith as without reason or evidence? All you need to do is search the internet for what various religious sects say about faith. I guarantee you that you will find few if any that say faith is without reason or evidence.

Once you've done that, then we can go to step 2.
Yet you repeatedly say both religion and science have the same kind of faith.
The issue here is that there is a dichotomy between religion and science. Religion historically hasn't played fair with science. But here is the key...

The founding fathers of science all had faith in Christianity.
They had faith in God through Christianity, not faith in Christianity. Different things.
.. but they didn't let that interfere with their science work and their efforts bear laws with their names on them.
They believed that the universe was comprehensible, rational and consistent and that experimentation meant something because of their faith in a law giver & creator. As Kepler is said to have noted "we are thinking God's thoughts after him".
Some of them tried to prove god through their science, but couldn't. Why? Because science demands reproducibility,
When scientists can reproduce the conditions in the early universe and repeat the Big Bang. What (some) scientists demand and what science requires can be different beats.
which is inherently contradictory to FAITH. This is where the two things verge.
Which takes us back to the OP.

He is arguing that atheists are incorrectly attributing their own definition of the word faith to religious peoples.
Why has it taken 497 posts to say this?
Atheists have created a self serving definition of the word 'faith' apply it to theists and then wonder why theists may not agree with them?

He is arguing that atheists are incorrectly attributing their own definition of the word faith to religious peoples.
Atheists have created a self serving definition of the word 'faith' apply it to theists and then wonder why theists may not agree with them?

How have atheists done this, specifically?

Since this is evidently so hard to understand, let's take it in steps. Do you realize that the religious do not define faith as without reason or evidence?
It's the quality of the evidence and the soundness of the reasoning that matters most. Not all evidence and all reasoning is equal. Kids believe in Santa based on their evidence, which is what the adults and their parents and their friends tell them. It's very reasonable for the kids to believe these things parents tell them. And then those presents show up. And then the kids grow up and decide there's better evidence which makes them change their minds. Belief in Santa was reasonable and evidenced when they were younger. Disbelief in Santa was reasonable and evidenced when they got older. See how it works?
If you want to change the topic to comparing the quality of the logic and the evidence used by religion to the quality of the logic and evidence used in other spheres like science, then go ahead without me. I'm here to argue that, contrary to what many atheists here say, the religious generally do base their faith on logic and evidence. Granted, religious logic may be fallacious, and the evidence is flimsy, but they do use logic and they do have evidence nevertheless.

Am I wrong? This sounds like the old "atheism is a religion, too" argument.
What's so terrible about categorizing atheism as a religion?
In one word? Dogma... the lack of it.
OK. What's wrong with dogma?
Or, alternatively, “religious beliefs are as logical as scientific ones.”
If you disagree that religious beliefs are not as logical as scientific ones, whatever that might mean, then argue your case.
Are we talking religious beliefs like gods control the weather (faith) or religious beliefs like the Earth was flooded 4500 years ago in a massive event that killed most life on Earth (faith) or religious beliefs like their is a God and it created the universe (faith)?
Faith isn't a set of beliefs but the conviction that beliefs are true.

How is a conviction different to a belief?

I'm here to argue that, contrary to what many atheists here say, the religious generally do base their faith on logic and evidence.
That's probably true today, though I haven't seen many atheists say it.

It's a consequence of the rise of logic and evidence since about the C17th; Prior to that, the religious generally ignored logic and evidence, as they weren't in wide use by anyone.

Now that blind Freddy can see that logic and evidence are the only effective means to knowledge, suddenly the religious want to claim that they use those tools; And even want to claim that they were using them all along. But they're really not; They're just trying (as always) to dress their beliefs up as as good as or better than the secular knowledge that is used in people's real lives.

Faith isn't really a way to attain knowledge but to be confident in knowing something.
So, in what way does the word “faith” add to the language and communication of ideas that the word “confidence” doesn’t? Are these simply interchangeable synonyms?

When’s a religious person uses the word “faith” can I just assume they mean “confidence”? That would definitely simplify my understanding of religious thought.

Last edited:
Faith Defined

The Bible gives a short definition of faith in Hebrews 11:1:

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

What do we hope for? We hope that God is trustworthy and honors his promises. We can be sure that his promises of salvation, eternal life, and a resurrected body will be ours someday based on who God is.

The second part of this definition acknowledges our problem: God is invisible. We can’t see heaven either. Eternal life, which begins with our individual salvation here on earth, is also something we do not see, but our faith in God makes us certain of these things. Again, we count not on scientific, tangible proof but on the absolute reliability of God’s character.

Where do we learn about the character of God so we can have faith in him? The obvious answer is the Bible, in which God reveals himself fully to his followers. Everything we need to know about God is found there, and it is an accurate, in-depth picture of his nature.

One of the things we learn about God in the Bible is he is incapable of lying. His integrity is perfect; therefore, when he declares the Bible to be true, we can accept that statement, based on God’s character. Many passages in the Bible are difficult to understand, yet Christians accept them because of faith in a trustworthy God.
~from here: https://www.learnreligions.com/what-is-the-meaning-of-faith-700722

These Christians use faith to attain 'knowledge' BY feeling certain.

Their feeling of certainty isn't faith. It's faith that makes them feel (unjustifiably) certain.

Reactions: DBT
So Unknown Soldier now tells us that the “faith” that religious people use consists of confidence or trust in their conclusions based on logic and evidence. Of course, this is pretty much the same method used by the non-theists; ergo, both sides use faith! And it’s really mean of non-theists to say that “faith” means something else for religious people than it does for them.

Needless to say, but saying it anyway, this sort of rhetorical prestidigitation is deeply unpersuasive.

Once again — Unknown Soldier says he didn’t see this — the bible says, in Hebrews 11 verse 1, that “faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.”

Now there are different translations of this passage. One, mooted above, speaks of “the certainty of things unseen.”

The certainty, no less! Even scientists never claim certainty in their conclusions, only more or lesser degrees of probability.

Check that again: “Faith is … the (evidence? certainty?) of things unseen.”

And what are these unseen things? God, of course, and heaven, eternal life, the whole shebang.

Now obviously the biblical claim of what constitutes faith bears nothing in common with Unknown Soldier’s definition of faith. Which raises the question: who appointed him the spokesman for how religious people define faith, and who appointed him the knower of how atheists believe the religious define faith?

Did he conduct some sort of scientific study on these matters? I bet not.

Here’s what I suspect is probably true: most religious people don’t really give a hoot about word-splitting definitions of abstractions like “faith,” “evidence,” “rationality,” etc. I think most of them believe what they believe because they were raised to believe it,

I think those Christians who do take a vital interest in these abstractions would hew more toward the biblical definition of faith and shun the one that Unknown Soldier puts into their mouths — which, if correct, shows the irony of this thread; that it is Unknown Soldier who is telling religious people who subscribe to A that really they subscribe to Not-A.

I commend the biblical definition of faith: “…the evidence/certainty of things unseen,” the idea that faith itself is the evidence/certainty of the conclusion. Is this definition circular? Of course. Is it irrational? Maybe not. Rather, if I were religious, I would support the biblical definition, but argue that this definition is not irrational but rather arational. That is, I would hold that religious belief is beyond rationality and irrationality; that it’s beyond evidence, logic, reason and the like —.that it’s mystical. Faith is Kierkegaard’s blind leap in the dark.

Religious belief is mythos not logos, though Jesus said he was the latter, but that’s mythos metaphor I”d say.

If a religious person argues like that, I’m fine with it. They may even be — who knows? — right. I only object when the religious try to clumsily support their faith with logos, with evidence and argument and science. This is where they go badly awry, and we see pathetic spectacles like religious people trying and failing to refute evolution based on science and math or argue for a young earth based on science and math. They go badly awry because they are wrong about the science and math, but more importantly because they have missed the point that their religion is mystical and arational and has no need of science or argument or logic or evidence.

.. but they didn't let that interfere with their science work and their efforts bear laws with their names on them.
They believed that the universe was comprehensible, rational and consistent and that experimentation meant something because of their faith in a law giver & creator. As Kepler is said to have noted "we are thinking God's thoughts after him".
Some of them tried to prove god through their science, but couldn't. Why? Because science demands reproducibility,
When scientists can reproduce the conditions in the early universe and repeat the Big Bang. What (some) scientists demand and what science requires can be different beats.
You are missing the context of the comment. The point was not to disprove that a god created the universe. It was to distinguish between scientific thought and religious though. How very religious people were able to do as such and how faith wasn't the driver of their scientific findings, which is what the OP'er is claiming.
which is inherently contradictory to FAITH. This is where the two things verge.
Which takes us back to the OP.
Not really. Unknown Soldier says there is no divergence in faith as he wants to define it.

Yeah, more claims, no backup.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking about Smith's treatment of religious faith in that book. (I've read it at least twice.) I love the book, but I don't remember how he defines "faith" in it.

Although the idea of faith is central to Christianity, the Bible gives us little information concerning the nature of faith. We are told that men must have faith, and we are informed in rather gruesome detail as to what awaits those who lack faith—but nowhere are we told precisely what faith is. The biblical statement most resembling a definition is found in Hebrews 11:1: “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” While this is not very illuminating, it does suggest why critics of Christianity have likened faith to wishful thinking and emotionalism...

While the biblical authors are vague with regard to the nature of faith, they are extremely clear on other related issues, such as the role of reason and the necessity for blind obedience. By examining these topics, we are able to arrive at a better perspective as to the meaning of biblical faith.

The biblical antagonism to reason is one of its most striking features. The Bible is a paradigm of misology—the hatred of reason. This attitude permeates the Bible, beginning with the book of Genesis. Adam and Eve, we are told, were evicted from their blissful state of ignorance as a result of eating from the tree of knowledge....
Jesus was fond of delivering his messages in the form of parables, and at one point he admitted that he intended for these parables to be confusing...
The apostle Paul, who in many respects had more influence on Christianity than did Jesus, was quite candid in his hostility to reason....

--George H. Smith: Atheism: The Case Against God

I'm here to argue that, contrary to what many atheists here say, the religious generally do base their faith on logic and evidence.

Not exactly profound insight, but you are starting to get it. Chrtians who argued on the forum always have evidence to cite. You will hear it if you sample Christian TV and radio, which I do.

The central theme of religious debate on religion and science forums as well is us atheists questioning the Christian evidence.

Bigfoot believers use logic and evidence.

Since this is evidently so hard to understand, let's take it in steps. Do you realize that the religious do not define faith as without reason or evidence?

Again not profound insight ad not hard to understand, it is obvious. The question is what is cited as evidence. The resurrection story in the gospels is evidence.

Substitute trust for faith and we may be in some degree of agreement. Faith is a loaded word and can be a pejorative.

What's so terrible about categorizing atheism as a religion?
In one word? Dogma... the lack of it.
OK. What's wrong with dogma?
Religion is a myriad of dogma, atheism is a singular position on a single thing.

The two are not remotely the same. An atheists beliefs are not set in stone by being an atheist, where as being *insert religion* a lot of aspects on philosophy, morality, and ideology are established. It isn't written in stone, but being a member of a specific religion means a lot more about what they do, say, act, believe, than if someone is an atheist, where the world is their oyster for ideology.

In other words, religion is the world within an enclosed box, where as in atheism, there is no box.
Or, alternatively, “religious beliefs are as logical as scientific ones.”
If you disagree that religious beliefs are not as logical as scientific ones, whatever that might mean, then argue your case.
Are we talking religious beliefs like gods control the weather (faith) or religious beliefs like the Earth was flooded 4500 years ago in a massive event that killed most life on Earth (faith) or religious beliefs like their is a God and it created the universe (faith)?
Faith isn't a set of beliefs but the conviction that beliefs are true.
You keep saying that. It has been repeatedly shown to be either false or such a diluted definition to render the word 'faith' useless.

Person A: I believe a man resurrected 2000 years ago to save our souls from eternal damnation.
Person B: I think it is supposed to be 64 degrees tomorrow.
Person C: Wow, two people of faith.

Back
Top Bottom