• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why can't men decide whether to leave their stupid jacket open or closed?

How about a magnetic clasp?

Somebody engineer the shit out of this fucking thing, already.

I'm on it!

Meh. Just don't wear a suit, problem solved.

I always feel like an idiot in the damn things. Thankfully I only have to wear them to interviews. I even find them to be optional at weddings and funerals, for the most part.

Personally, I think we should do away with suit jackets and instead promote a nice pullover style garment, like a Star Fleet uniform. Formal and commanding, yet comfortable.

Then, we could watch them do the Picard shirt tug every time they sit down or get up, instead of fumbling awkwardly with buttons.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teTxexINY38[/YOUTUBE]

Personally, I think we should do away with suit jackets and instead promote a nice pullover style garment, like a Star Fleet uniform. Formal and commanding, yet comfortable.

Then, we could watch them do the Picard shirt tug every time they sit down or get up, instead of fumbling awkwardly with buttons.

Yeah. Nothing suits the American male like a form fitting pullover.
Be careful what you wish for.

It was stark one time at an annual shareholder's meeting of a large company, where one by one the officers were asked to stand and be recognized. The men, every single one, stood and dressed in front of us. NOT ONE thought to button his coat beforehand. The only exception to this was the sole woman, who managed to find an attractive suit that fit while buttoned and sitting (hey! how do you suppose she accomplished that? Why do women's suit coats not require this vanity? I didn't think about that until now). And it does just look really silly. Hear your name, stand, dress yourself, bow in the half-second that's left, undress yourself again, sit. So the whole "but it looks better when it's buttoned is completely destroyed by the fact that we have to watch you button it while our eyes are turned to you and you only just barely get it done before our eyes are turned away, and then in order to be comfortable in your stupid coat, you have to undo it again before sitting.

It's a stupid garment that does that to it's wearer.

Love the link, BTW. "Art of Manliness"

Nothing men can do about it.

And this is, of course, not true. Any more so than it is for bustiers and spike heels. You can change your style. BUck the system. Set a trend.

Er, how thin was this woman? I'm a bit of a pudgy partridge right now and I unbutton my suit jacket when sitting down because it's fitted and strains across the buttons while I sit. Then I button it again when I stand up.

Yeah. Nothing suits the American male like a form fitting pullover.
Be careful what you wish for.

Why? Fat guys look just as round in suits as they do in t-shirts. Anyway, Star Fleet uniforms are not that form fitting, except in TNG season 1, which I'd like to forget.

The only exception to this was the sole woman, who managed to find an attractive suit that fit while buttoned and sitting (hey! how do you suppose she accomplished that? Why do women's suit coats not require this vanity? I didn't think about that until now).

Er, how thin was this woman? I'm a bit of a pudgy partridge right now and I unbutton my suit jacket when sitting down because it's fitted and strains across the buttons while I sit. Then I button it again when I stand up.

Oh, I totally get that. As I said, I do that with my pants.
Just kidding - I don't, I buy pants that fit no matter what I'm doing. And when I have a bit of a paunch invading, I go for something that fits with that. I'm all about comfort, not just looking good in one pose. And have some suit-coats, too.

Which is why I find these men and their claims that "they can't help it, because... fashion!" humorous. :)

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teTxexINY38[/YOUTUBE]

The actors were well aware they were doing this. You would too if your two piece outfit was made out of slinky soft stretchy material which would slide up every time you sat down.

They didn't do this the 1st season because their uniforms were one piece jumpsuits.

But comfort and convenience in going to the bathroom made moving to a 2 piece costume outfit after the 1st season, de rigueur.

Oh, I totally get that. As I said, I do that with my pants.
Just kidding - I don't, I buy pants that fit no matter what I'm doing. And when I have a bit of a paunch invading, I go for something that fits with that. I'm all about comfort, not just looking good in one pose. And have some suit-coats, too.

Which is why I find these men and their claims that "they can't help it, because... fashion!" humorous. :)

I have home comfort down: Merino wool from Minus 33 feels like sex.

For outdoor comfort, I'm currently transitioning from belt to suspenders and seeing no downside, especially with my pants. Minimalist shoes and rose colored sunglasses are also excellent choices for comfort.
They take a bit of getting used to but minimalist shoes become very comfortable in short order. They're like slippers for outside.
Rose color sunglasses are the best all around sunglasses there are. Other than intense or direct sunlight, they function very well, especially going from sun to shade.

I love the minimalist shoes. I found there was no "getting used to" period because I'm so accustomed to walking barefoot most of the day. Love the larger toe-box so my tootsies aren't ever cramped and they can "splay" naturally when I walk. Now, if only, instead of a "sneaker-style" top they did some faux-leather look that I could wear to the office!

I love the minimalist shoes. I found there was no "getting used to" period because I'm so accustomed to walking barefoot most of the day. Love the larger toe-box so my tootsies aren't ever cramped and they can "splay" naturally when I walk. Now, if only, instead of a "sneaker-style" top they did some faux-leather look that I could wear to the office!

The minimalist shoes I like to wear are stiletto pumps.

The more you go barefoot, the more your toes splay out, the bigger your feet get. Check out pics of native folks who've never worn a shoe. Not a single dainty foot among any of them. I've always hated having - or imagine having - big feet, so I do what I can to keep those dogs well kennelled.

Sit down, unbutton. Stand up, button. Just one button. It's a rule.
What the fuck a tie is for is beyond me.
The implication is that a man in a suit's ass is up top, and shit from their "mouth" is flying towards heaven (tails up).

In other news, there's a man in a suit's ass.

Can't help thinking this is a first world problem thread.

You OP just reminds me what I hate to wear jackets anyway.

Last edited:
But Rhea, doesn't it give you some relief to know that there a few fashion problems that plague men?

Only if it translates into wholesale correction of fashion plagues!

I'm going to start unzipping my dress when I sit down. That'll fix 'em.

Oh Rhea, come now! Don't you know that men's MASSIVE penises are constantly getting in the way of EVERYTHING!?
You have no idea of the burden.

Sit down, unbutton. Stand up, button. Just one button. It's a rule.
What the fuck a tie is for is beyond me.

It conceals the fasteners on the button-up shirt you are wearing with it.
But my wife insists on calling it my leash.. .which I am strangely fine with.
but I'm still waiting for the day she ends a sentence with, "...and leave your tie ON"...

I am looking forward to the day when there is thread "Why can't men decide whether to leave their stupid pants zipper unzipped or zipped?"

I am looking forward to the day when there is thread "Why can't men decide whether to leave their stupid pants zipper unzipped or zipped?"

You know, it's a safety thing, really. My poor son found this out when he was helping me move a counter-top during renovations last year in his boxers. When we finally put that 7-foot long piece of butcher block into place, the unzipped portion of the program did not help him. For some reason he was really upset that I couldn't keep from laughing. I tried, i really REALLY tried. But come on, kid, you got your penis stuck in the counter! Who does that?!?

(for those male readers doing the "sympathy cringe" right now, it was just a corner of it, so to speak, skin only. He's fine now, judging from the noises emanating from his bedroom at night, due to which I have to turn on the radio each evening to protect my sensibilities.)

Back
Top Bottom