• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why create the damned?

The 'woo' comes in when you act like it's real

And the evil comes when one demands that others honor it as if it is real.

That is a general observation Williams, not a comment about you and your beliefs.

Absolutely. But I don't think my ruminations have acquired the status of 'beliefs'. I am just trying to figure out what is going on with my noodle. I'd rather, obviously, 'believe' that I've been touched by something extraordinary than that I just need medication. I've tried the medication - lithium, prescribed by psychologist - and I became deeply depressed**, so I abandoned it. Long story there, not appropriate for thread...

:joy:

**Maybe depressed is not the right word. Let's say, for the sake of total disclosure, that I became completely and utterly bored, and my passion for life in general was diminished. If being bi-polar - if that's what I am - can keep me interested and engaged with life, and, most importantly, keep me writing my poems and working on my music projects, then I take that as a plus for the time being.

Last edited:
OK, Keith, I hear you. Points accepted.

Only one thing, though: What if it IS real?
Well, that's just it. What if any of it's real?
What if we're in the Matrix?
What if we're god's ant-farm?
What if i'm real but you're part of the decor?
What's the reason to concentrate on one 'what if' at the exclusion of all others?
Humans are REALLY GOOD at fiction. Seriously, look through the library, the bookstore, the fanfiction archives. We make all SORTS of shit up, all the time.
Why pick one and be intrigued about the consequences? I'm far more intrigued about the inspiration.

I mean, graphic Precious Moments slash fiction is out there.
The Enterprise Away Team beams down to Gondor. To Soddom. To the filming of ST:TNG.
ST:TNG/X-Men crossover novels and graphic novels.

It almost seems like we're designed to make shit up. But then, attributing that trait to agency is just another example of making shit up!

Hmmm. There might be a story in that....

Of course I'm worried! Who wouldn't be! What if the universe actually IS run by a sadistic super being? I don't think that's the case, as I've been careful to point out.

'Heh' is one of the more annoying cliches on the Internet. It's close to 'um', and 'erm' in sheer lack of creativity and communicative power.

If the universe is being run by an evil being, well, let's face it, odds are you are screwed.

I would submit that a god who is worried about any insults I might throw in his direction has definite security issues. :)

Maybe He feels threatened by you?

If the universe is being run by an evil being, well, let's face it, odds are you are screwed.

I would submit that a god who is worried about any insults I might throw in his direction has definite security issues. :)

Unlikely, as even my son is not threatened by me. And my wife......fuh-fet-about it.

Someone on another forum TRIED to say that dogs and cats will warn you before they bite. What he ended up saying was gods and cats will demonstrate when they feel threatened.

I just imagined a child with Jesus backed into a corner, throwing lightning bolts, or hurricanes, and the parent saying 'He's more afraid of you than you are of him.'

It almost seems like we're designed to make shit up. But then, attributing that trait to agency is just another example of making shit up!
Attributing it to something without agency is an example of making shit up.
There is absolutely no evidence that any non-conscious reaction has ever existed ever.
And this observation is significant, why?

I mean, it is possible for fallacious reasoning to produce the correct answer, if only by accident.

So, however we got the opinion that the universe includes unconscious, undirected events...

Back
Top Bottom