• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why do Christians outnumber atheists?

Unknown Soldier

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Truth Seeker
Here's what one source has to say:
In 2019, a Pew study found that 65% of American adults described themselves as Christians while the religiously unaffiliated, including atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular”, is 26%. According to a 2018 Pew report, 72% of the "Nones" have belief in God, a higher power, or spiritual force.
If you ask atheists why they are outnumbered, they'll typically explain their being in the minority results from the tendency of people to be irrational and superstitious. They'll tell you that atheism does not offer hope of immortality, miracles, or revelations, and lonely, hurting, insecure people need these things to find a way through life.

But there are other reasons there are so few atheists and so many Christians. Perhaps Christian apologetics convinces Christians that they are right to believe in God and the Bible. Besides, atheism does not have a good history or at least atheists do not have a good history. Stalin, for example, did far more evil than any Christian ever did.

So it really shouldn't be too hard to understand why Christianity is in the mainstream of society and atheism on the fringe.

“Atheists do not have a good history“ because … Stalin. (Note “atheists” plural vs. ”Stalin“ singular.)

I suppose this is another example of your flawless logic and reasoning that you are constantly praising yourself for. :ROFLMAO:

Stalin, for example, did far more evil than any Christian ever did.

Stalin learned how to create a religion based the Catholic paradigm. It wasn't theist, but it was nearly indistinguishable.

Stalinist Russia had their ineffable higher power, the proletariat. They had their prophet, Karl Marx (conveniently dead). They had their High Priest, speaking for The Proletariat and Marx, Stalin. Then they had their Curea of Cardinals, the Politboro. And the Church, also known as The Party. Swear allegiance to the Party and High Priest(Pope) or you'd have trouble.

Die and you'll just become a barely remember statistic, like all the other victims of religious leaders through history.

Stalin did what religious leaders have done, practically forever. Made his interests the same as the interests of the "higher powers", and got on with authoritarian tyranny.

Stalin may not have been a theist. Can't say. But he definitely learned how to create a religion around himself.
Tom

Christians do not outnumber atheists.

The USA has about five percent of the world population, and is an extreme outlier with massively greater levels of Christianity than the rest of the planet.

And even in the USA, most people who claim to be Christians don't go to church on a typical Sunday.

The number of people worldwide who act as though they genuinely believe in any God is tiny. The proportion of those who are Christians is about a third.

The figures published by various researchers are inevitably nonsensical; They reflect the fact that religious believers care about inflating their perceived numbers, while most atheists don't give a shit either way.

How do you even begin to measure the numbers of Christians? If you ask people, they'll lie. If you look at church attendance, it varies wildly throughout the year.

Who out there genuinely believes that religion is of vital and central importance to all things, and yet doesn't bother going to church if doing so would mean missing the big football game?

“Atheists do not have a good history“ because … Stalin. (Note “atheists” plural vs. ”Stalin“ singular.)

I suppose this is another example of your flawless logic and reasoning that you are constantly praising yourself for. :ROFLMAO:

I groaned when I saw the asinine comparison with Stalin. OP should ask a Mod to edit his post -- to remove its astounding and ridiculous claim. (Or, should we do a comparative body count starting with Adolf Hitler and Leopold II of the Belgians, both of whom claimed to be Christian?)
But there are other reasons there are so few atheists and so many Christians. Perhaps Christian apologetics convinces Christians that they are right to believe in God and the Bible. Besides, atheism does not have a good history or at least atheists do not have a good history. Stalin, for example, did far more evil than any Christian ever did.

So it really shouldn't be too hard to understand why Christianity is in the mainstream of society and atheism on the fringe.

40% of the French and 30% of the Dutch report having no belief in any sort of spirit, god, or higher power. Are these two nations cesspools of evil? To the contrary, I'd say the USA is the bad outlier among the developed world, and its preposterous evangelism is part of its problem.

We have no idea how many Christians there are because we cannot trust someone’s answer when asked what their beliefs are. I thought you already established that on a previous thread. Therefore the quantitative comparison can never be verified.

We have no idea how many Christians there are because we cannot trust someone’s answer when asked what their beliefs are. I thought you already established that on a previous thread. Therefore the quantitative comparison can never be verified.

Also,
Nobody knows what the label "Christian" means.

It's a vague abstraction people make up to suit their own agenda. It could mean anything. It could include philandering billionaires who consistently lie and steal while Walling out "the least among us", if that suits enough "Christian" people to keep them in power.
Tom

In 2019, a Pew study found that 65% of American adults described themselves as Christians while the religiously unaffiliated, including atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular”, is 26%. According to a 2018 Pew report, 72% of the "Nones" have belief in God, a higher power, or spiritual force.
If you ask atheists why they are outnumbered, they'll typically explain their being in the minority results from the tendency of people to be irrational and superstitious. They'll tell you that atheism does not offer hope of immortality, miracles, or revelations, and lonely, hurting, insecure people need these things to find a way through life.

Did Stalin act on behalf of atheism?

I suppose one could say it may depend on the mutual agreement in context as per discussion DBT.

If "Christians" are said to have done such atrocious things with the suggested notion that this"represents" Jesus (who otherwise says to love your neighbours and your enemies etc.). Then by the same notion and mutual language context... this should also be acceptable to mean Stalin acted on behalf of atheism.

Stalin, for example, did far more evil than any Christian ever did.

Stalin learned how to create a religion based the Catholic paradigm. It wasn't theist, but it was nearly indistinguishable.

Stalinist Russia had their ineffable higher power, the proletariat. They had their prophet, Karl Marx (conveniently dead). They had their High Priest, speaking for The Proletariat and Marx, Stalin. Then they had their Curea of Cardinals, the Politboro. And the Church, also known as The Party. Swear allegiance to the Party and High Priest(Pope) or you'd have trouble.

Die and you'll just become a barely remember statistic, like all the other victims of religious leaders through history.

Stalin did what religious leaders have done, practically forever. Made his interests the same as the interests of the "higher powers", and got on with authoritarian tyranny.

Stalin may not have been a theist. Can't say. But he definitely learned how to create a religion around himself.
Tom
That's essentially correct. As you know I've argued with some success that there's a wee bit of theistic belief in the dark recesses of the psyche of the most adamant atheist. Stalin's acts' amazing similarity to the violent tendencies of the Abrahamic God provides us with evidence that I'm right.

Did Stalin act on behalf of atheism?
I'm not sure if I understand your question, but Stalin appears to be a hybrid speaking like an atheist while living like a theist.

If you ask atheists why they are outnumbered, they'll typically explain t
I think you are utterly wrong about what atheists typically say. Please produce some reliable evidence of this.

Meanwhile, *I* say it’s because Christians have a long history of killing atheists, beating them up, shunning them and ruining their businesses, so the atheists are pragmatic and say, “yah, I‘m a christian,” to make them go away.

Meanwhile, if you measure the number of Christians as those who will get to heaven by following Jesus, and you use Jesus’ own criteria:
16Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18“Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,’ c and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’ d

20“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
I think we can say the number of actual christians in America or the world is likely fewer than left-handed blonde Asians with type AB- blood.
22When the young man heard this, he went away sad,

I groaned when I saw the asinine comparison with Stalin. OP should ask a Mod to edit his post -- to remove its astounding and ridiculous claim. (Or, should we do a comparative body count starting with Adolf Hitler and Leopold II of the Belgians, both of whom claimed to be Christian?)
I'd reply to what you've said here, but it doesn't make much sense. Besides, you're responding to a post in which I'm being misquoted.

40% of the French and 30% of the Dutch report having no belief in any sort of spirit, god, or higher power. Are these two nations cesspools of evil?
Those percentages both fall short of 50 percent. Religious unbelief is then in the minority among the French and the Dutch. So it looks like atheists are also lousy mathematicians.
To the contrary, I'd say the USA is the bad outlier among the developed world, and its preposterous evangelism is part of its problem.
You'll need to substantiate how "preposterous evangelism" is wrecking America. Personally, I find TV evangelism to be harmless entertainment assuming that people make no donations to it.

I think you are utterly wrong about what atheists typically say. Please produce some reliable evidence of this.
Well, it would make life easier for us all if you quote my entire statement not cutting off the part you want me to comment on.

Anyway, I stated in full:
Unknown Soldier:
What I'm saying here is what I think is common knowledge--it's based on my many years studying the debate on God. If you want to know what influential atheists have said about theism, then I'd recommend Freud.
Meanwhile, *I* say it’s because Christians have a long history of killing atheists, beating them up, shunning them and ruining their businesses, so the atheists are pragmatic and say, “yah, I‘m a christian,” to make them go away.
Now where's the evidence for this?

I think Rhode Island was an exception, colonies had state religions supported by taxes.

Under the long reign of the RCC it was taught in schools to kids.

For kids in the USA being taught Christianity form birth was the norm.

I wathced a documentary in atheism in America, highlighted was one outspoken family from around the 20s or 30s. Not as bad as being overtly gay, but it could get you into trouble,

That Christianity has been dominate in Europe and the Americas should be no surprise. It was forced on people.

Something from the British royal weddings. The couple is enjoined to have Christian babes or something like that.

As you know I've argued with some success that there's a wee bit of theistic belief in the dark recesses of the psyche of the most adamant atheist.
Everyone here, except apparently you, knows that you have argued that with absolutely no success at all (unless your objective was to make people think you a fool, in which case, mission accomplished).

Well, it would make life easier for us all if you quote my entire statement not cutting off the part you want me to comment on.

I cut it off because the part I was arguing against was your ridiculous claim that “atheists typically say” something.

And whatever that something is, you’d need better evidence than

What I'm saying here is what I think is common knowledge--

It’s not. You think wrong.
If you want to claim it’s common knowledge, then you’ll need to produce some evidence of how common and by what measure.

it's based on my many years studying the debate on God.

And I have many years of study in this also, and I see evidence that proves you wrong.
So if you want to make a claim that “atheists typically say” something, then pony up the evidence or walk backwards.

If you want to know what influential atheists have said about theism,
We’re not talking about influential atheists. You claimed “atheists typically say”
Freud is not a typical atheist.
Now where's the evidence for this?
Where’s the evidence for me saying that? Me just saying it. Right there. In front of you. That’s my opinion on why there are fewer admitted atheists in America. Me and my atheist friends.

I suppose one could say it may depend on the mutual agreement in context as per discussion DBT.

If "Christians" are said to have done such atrocious things with the suggested notion that this"represents" Jesus (who otherwise says to love your neighbours and your enemies etc.). Then by the same notion and mutual language context... this should also be acceptable to mean Stalin acted on behalf of atheism.

Stalin acted on his political ideology, which incorporated atheism. He didn't declare war on theists as in Christians against Muslims during the Crusades, etc. His actions were politically and ideologically driven, power and control, shaping society according to a communist manifesto.

As to Christian atrocities it is not what Jesus said it is what Christians do in the name of religion and Jesus.

Christians quote from both the Old and New Testaments. The problem is Jesus in the gos[els invokes the OT, Moses, and the prophets.

Yes atheism combined with political ideologies have commuted atrocities and are oppressive. Soviet Union, China, North Korea.

Historical Christianity combined with politics has been oppressive. Today abortion and gay rights.

My usual point in all this that while Christians clam a moral high ground, it is not seen to be any better than 'atheists'.

The rationalizations ensue. Christians commuting socialites are not really Christiann.

Back
Top Bottom