• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why do Christians outnumber atheists?

Here's what one source has to say:
In 2019, a Pew study found that 65% of American adults described themselves as Christians while the religiously unaffiliated, including atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular”, is 26%. According to a 2018 Pew report, 72% of the "Nones" have belief in God, a higher power, or spiritual force.
If you ask atheists why they are outnumbered, they'll typically explain their being in the minority results from the tendency of people to be irrational and superstitious. They'll tell you that atheism does not offer hope of immortality, miracles, or revelations, and lonely, hurting, insecure people need these things to find a way through life.

But there are other reasons there are so few atheists and so many Christians. Perhaps Christian apologetics convinces Christians that they are right to believe in God and the Bible. Besides, atheism does not have a good history or at least atheists do not have a good history. Stalin, for example, did far more evil than any Christian ever did.

So it really shouldn't be too hard to understand why Christianity is in the mainstream of society and atheism on the fringe.

I don't know any atheists who say the things you attribute to us.

I would note that if 40% of the French are atheists and there are any other religions at all, then atheists very likely outnumber Christians there.

I do know that your country was founded by people who went there because their home territory discouraged their degree of bigotry.

Then there were several centuries of draconian suppression of anyone who wasn't devout enough to suit the prevailing public opinion. If you can be Christian or die, or be shunned, the majority will give lip service, even if they have been able to shrug off the beliefs they have been raised in since birth.

So your question would more properly read "Why do Christians outnumber atheists in the US?"

The answer is that entrenched positions are hard to unseat.

On the topic of "lousy mathematical intuition": --

40% of the French and 30% of the Dutch report having no belief in any sort of spirit, god, or higher power. Are these two nations cesspools of evil?
Those percentages both fall short of 50 percent. Religious unbelief is then in the minority among the French and the Dutch. So it looks like atheists are also lousy mathematicians.

Oh my. Is this perverse conception that 0.51 is somehow, almost magically, MUCH larger than 0.49 a mainly American confusion? Or has this confused arithmetic ignorance infected the other Anglophone countries?

In the US many elections are decided 51-49 or thereabouts. Regardless of whether it's Red 51 to Blue 49 or vice versa, the headlines blare: The Voters have Spoken! Wrong again; what the voters are trying to say is that they're tired of the partisan divisions enforced purposefully by elites and opinion-makers.

An extreme example of this exotic belief that 40% is a MUCH smaller number than 55% is a news story I read (in Singapore?) two decades ago or so. The headline was something like "Indians favor religious tolerance!!" The basis for this in the article was a poll that showed "only" 40% of Hindu Indians favored mounting a genocidal campaign (or such) against Muslim Indians.

Neither Hitler (a Christian) nor Stalin (raised as a Christian) killed millions of people. Their followers did that, and most of those were Christians.
From what I read Hitler was not Christian. He initially rejected religion as part of his system, but realized he could make political use of Christians.

In Mein Kemph he wrote 'Jews killed Jesus'.

Christianity was declining. It was more like Christian leaders jumped on hsi return to traditional German values political platform.

I suppose one could say it may depend on the mutual agreement in context as per discussion DBT.

If "Christians" are said to have done such atrocious things with the suggested notion that this"represents" Jesus (who otherwise says to love your neighbours and your enemies etc.). Then by the same notion and mutual language context... this should also be acceptable to mean Stalin acted on behalf of atheism.

Stalin acted on his political ideology, which incorporated atheism. He didn't declare war on theists as in Christians against Muslims during the Crusades, etc. His actions were politically and ideologically driven, power and control, shaping society according to a communist manifesto.
I can agree with the statement, as you say : Stalin didn't declare war on theists. But I seem to have a little dilemma with some of the contexts in some posts. For example from what you say in the above... it doesn't absolve Stalin from declaring war on his own people, committing atrocities.

Interesting. Do you have a page number?

I happen to have a machine-readable copy of a translation of Mein Kampf in which Hitler mentions 'Jesus' zero times. Yes, that's Zero with a Z. (This translation could be incorrect or incomplete?)

Or was Mein Kemph a Hitlerite tome distinct from Mein Kampf?

If you ask atheists why they are outnumbered, they'll typically explain their being in the minority results from the tendency of people to be irrational and superstitious. They'll tell you that atheism does not offer hope of immortality, miracles, or revelations, and lonely, hurting, insecure people need these things to find a way through life.

I don't know any atheists who say the things you attribute to us.
That's strange. I know of plenty of atheists who explain religion the way I post above. For example, Sigmund Freud wrote:
...a large portion of the mythological conception of the world which reaches far into the most modern religions is nothing but psychology projected into the outer world… We venture to explain in this way the myths of paradise and the fall of man, of God, of good and evil, of immortality and the like—that is, to transform metaphysics into meta-psychology...
I'd strongly recommend that you do some reading on the topic of what atheists say about theism and religion.
I would note that if 40% of the French are atheists and there are any other religions at all, then atheists very likely outnumber Christians there.
I'd rather not argue statistics. They're always available to support anything you want to assert.
I do know that your country was founded by people who went there because their home territory discouraged their degree of bigotry.
Can you elaborate? There are plenty of religious bigots in the USA.
Then there were several centuries of draconian suppression of anyone who wasn't devout enough to suit the prevailing public opinion. If you can be Christian or die, or be shunned, the majority will give lip service, even if they have been able to shrug off the beliefs they have been raised in since birth.
This doesn't make much sense. Can you clarify?
So your question would more properly read "Why do Christians outnumber atheists in the US?"
Worldwide Christians outnumber atheists by a very wide margin. People generally don't like atheism, and I'm beginning to see why. To evade the negative connotations of the label "atheist" I've decided to refer to myself as a truth seeker instead.
The answer is that entrenched positions are hard to unseat.
I assume that's your answer to my question in the OP. I don't believe that that the atheists on this board are going to change people much. Their conduct explains some of the difficulty of "unseating religion."

I find questions like this to be incredibly short-sighted and usually not really thinking in order to seek truth. There's usually a proposal or agenda, but even barring that an implied conclusion that doesn't consider so many real variables but especially that we are at a particular moment of time, inside a trend.

• Consider an Italian Catholic in 1900. They ask why are there so many Catholics in Italy? It's because the nature of Romans is to prefer Catholicism. We are kind people and fight for God. (or whatever).
  • Consider people in US in 1930's. They ask why are there so many Jews who play basketball? They get an answer that it's because Jews are sneaky people. This lets them steal the ball very well in games like this.
  • Why are there so many Greek diners? Oh, it's because there is something in the genetics of Greeks to make diners.
  • Why is English the most popular language on the planet? It's because English is so easy to learn. That must be it!

The authors hardly ever stop to think to consider history, imperialism, special circumstances of populations, or how these things change over time and why.

In the case of Christianity, a better answer than short-sighted proposals about inherent nature of humans is to consider the history of imperialism and colonialism. That is why Christianity is so popular. Then, consider how much it is forced on youth, to what extent this is so, how much does culture pressure people and how free are they to think and receive secular education. With more freedom and more people speaking out without terrible consequences, we see an upswing in declared atheism.

That said, it is probably an interesting curiosity to wonder if there is a maximum we can achieve of atheists in the world or if there is some religiosity that will always exist in the population. We cannot really determine that due to serious confounding variables and lack of an ethical methodology for massive social testing of the question.

In 2019, a Pew study found that 65% of American adults described themselves as Christians while the religiously unaffiliated, including atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular”, is 26%. According to a 2018 Pew report, 72% of the "Nones" have belief in God, a higher power, or spiritual force.

But there are other reasons there are so few atheists and so many Christians. Perhaps Christian apologetics convinces Christians that they are right to believe in God and the Bible. Besides, atheism does not have a good history or at least atheists do not have a good history. Stalin, for example, did far more evil than any Christian ever did.

So it really shouldn't be too hard to understand why Christianity is in the mainstream of society and atheism on the fringe.
the belief in "something more" just fits observations better. For me, it aint no deity. Lennon style politics to stop religion by many online atheist just causes more problems in trying to help deity believers past that type of god to me. I think many atheist are "religionist" with how they believe. But thats just me.

Interesting. Do you have a page number?

I happen to have a machine-readable copy of a translation of Mein Kampf in which Hitler mentions 'Jesus' zero times. Yes, that's Zero with a Z. (This translation could be incorrect or incomplete?)

Or was Mein Kemph a Hitlerite tome distinct from Mein Kampf?
That was in the 70s. There were two versions printed of Mein Kemph. One for Germans and a sanitized version for global publication.

The sanitized version was read in the USA and in our government.

What are you arguing? Hitler was not antisemitic and he was Christian? Or

Nazis were covered in a political science class. Nazis made use of Christian symbolism in propaganda.

Hitler first rejected organized religion, then played to them. A modern example is Trump.

To an autocrat like Hitler any organization of people is a threat.

The religious beliefs of Adolf Hitler, dictator of Nazi Germany from 1933 to 1945, have been a matter of debate. His opinions regarding religious matters changed considerably over time. During the beginning of his political life, Hitler publicly expressed favorable opinions towards Christianity.[3][4] Most historians describe his later posture as adversarial to organized Christianity and established Christian denominations.[5][6] He also criticized atheism.[7]

Hitler was born to a practicing Catholic mother, Klara Hitler, and was baptized in the Roman Catholic Church; his father, Alois Hitler, was a free-thinker and skeptical of the Catholic Church.[8][9] In 1904, he was confirmed at the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Linz, Austria, where the family lived.[10] According to John Willard Toland, witnesses indicate that Hitler's confirmation sponsor had to "drag the words out of him ... almost as though the whole confirmation was repugnant to him".[11] Hitler biographer John Toland offers the opinion that Hitler "carried within him its teaching that the Jew was the killer of God. The extermination, therefore, could be done without a twinge of conscience since he was merely acting as the avenging hand of God ..." Rissmann notes that, according to several witnesses who lived with Hitler in a men's home in Vienna, he never again attended Mass or received the sacraments after leaving home at 18 years old.[12] Krieger claims that Hitler had abandoned the Catholic Church[13] while Hitler's last secretary asserted that he was not a member of any church.[14] Otto Strasser stated critically of the dictator, "Hitler is an atheist." for his unsettling sympathy to "Rosenberg's paganism."[15] Hitler privately assured General Gerhard Engel in 1941 that "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so."[16]

Perhaps a more interesting question than that posed by the thread title is this slight variation:

Why don't Christians outnumber everybody?​

I mean, it needn't be Christians; And if it were, it should be more specific:

Why don't Protestant Christians, Northern Conservative, Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912, outnumber everybody?​

Basically, the implication of the OP is that atheism must be wrong, or somehow less useful than Christianity, because otherwise it would be dominant. But if we start with the ad argumentum position that any given theistic belief system is right, then we inevitably reach the conclusion that it should not only be dominant, but overwhelmingly dominant.

Why would anyone be an atheist (or a Hindu, or a Muslim, or a Jew), if Christianity worked?

If Christians actually had a way to magically influence reality; If prayer actually worked, then it would be both bloody obvious, and a massive incentive for anyone not a Christian to convert.

And if it only works for the sect that has the doctrine exactly right, then that sect would inevitably become the dominant (indeed, the only) sect on the planet.

Maybe not overnight - if the benefit of following the exactly correct path is fairly small, then it could take several generations before everyone decided to convert. But as evolutionary theory shows, even a tiny advantage will be strongly selected for given sufficient time.

There's an old saying, "Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?", used as a motto by various godfearing people, including the Dukes of Sussex, and the Spence clan of Scottish lowlanders, which translates to "If God is with us, who can be against us?". It's a good question; Clearly rhetorical, the only possible answer is "nobody".

But it cuts both ways. If anybody is against you, it implies, God therefore is NOT with you.

So, my answer to the question in the OP is a counter question.

Why don't Christians overwhelmingly dominate the entire planet?​

On the topic of "lousy mathematical intuition": --

40% of the French and 30% of the Dutch report having no belief in any sort of spirit, god, or higher power. Are these two nations cesspools of evil?
Those percentages both fall short of 50 percent. Religious unbelief is then in the minority among the French and the Dutch. So it looks like atheists are also lousy mathematicians.

Oh my. Is this perverse conception that 0.51 is somehow, almost magically, MUCH larger than 0.49 a mainly American confusion? Or has this confused arithmetic ignorance infected the other Anglophone countries?

In the US many elections are decided 51-49 or thereabouts. Regardless of whether it's Red 51 to Blue 49 or vice versa, the headlines blare: The Voters have Spoken! Wrong again; what the voters are trying to say is that they're tired of the partisan divisions enforced purposefully by elites and opinion-makers.

An extreme example of this exotic belief that 40% is a MUCH smaller number than 55% is a news story I read (in Singapore?) two decades ago or so. The headline was something like "Indians favor religious tolerance!!" The basis for this in the article was a poll that showed "only" 40% of Hindu Indians favored mounting a genocidal campaign (or such) against Muslim Indians.
I'm not sure what the relevance is of anything you're saying here to what I said, but if you're going the challenge the truth of the claim that Christians are in the majority and atheists in the minority, then the last thing you want to do is document that fewer than half of the people in two countries are atheists! You know--less than half indicates a minority.

That's essentially correct. As you know I've argued with some success that there's a wee bit of theistic belief in the dark recesses of the psyche of the most adamant atheist.
If by “success”, you mean confusing illogical beliefs with a rational convincing argument, then I agree.

As to the OP, while I am sure that the statistics you quote for the US are accurate, they are misleading. Not only are there self-proclaimed Christians who do not practice the tenets of their denomination or sect, there are denominations that do not recognise other Christian denominations as Christian.

Besides, a majority opinion that X is true does not mean that X is actually true.

So, I think the OP is simply rather pointless

The percent of Christians in the Universe is probably .000000000083% of intelligent species. The percent of atheists is probably about 20%.

Yeah, we rock!

...at least until the religious crusades start across the space-time continuum.

So it really shouldn't be too hard to understand why Christianity is in the mainstream of society and atheism on the fringeT
Your first paragraph - Seriously, If you ask atheists a question about demographics -no one is going to go into the song and dance you outlined. That conversation just happened in your own head.

Your opening premise is pretty far-fetched.

I suppose one could say it may depend on the mutual agreement in context as per discussion DBT.

If "Christians" are said to have done such atrocious things with the suggested notion that this"represents" Jesus (who otherwise says to love your neighbours and your enemies etc.). Then by the same notion and mutual language context... this should also be acceptable to mean Stalin acted on behalf of atheism.

Stalin acted on his political ideology, which incorporated atheism. He didn't declare war on theists as in Christians against Muslims during the Crusades, etc. His actions were politically and ideologically driven, power and control, shaping society according to a communist manifesto.
I can agree with the statement, as you say : Stalin didn't declare war on theists. But I seem to have a little dilemma with some of the contexts in some posts. For example from what you say in the above... it doesn't absolve Stalin from declaring war on his own people, committing atrocities.

I wasn't suggesting that Stalin was absolved over anything he had done. Just that his motives were not driven by atheism. That, as his motives were political and ideological, it can't be said that atheism was the motivation for war, genocide and other atrocities.

I was reading on this topic before posting. Some scholars believe that the numbers of atheists are much higher than we think because so many atheists are in the closet out of fear of being ostracized. I have atheist friends like that. I've almost always been open about my atheism. It's been both a positive and negative experience. On the positive side, I've met other atheists who were in the closet before I told them I was an atheist. It also helped Christians realize that the harsh stereotypes they believed about atheists weren't true. My husband was also open about his atheism when still working and once a coworker told him that he had totally changed his mind about the things he had previously believed about atheists because he saw that my husband was a good person who he enjoyed working with.

There were times when I was verbally attacked, sometimes harshly, including times when it made the atmosphere in my work environment so hostile that I once asked for a transfer. Luckily the Christians in the new office where I worked as a QA nurse in home health, were much kinder and accepting of me as an atheist.

Being open about my atheism has overall been a good experience, so I agree with the article from WaPo that said, "We need more Atheists". Somebody posted it in the political section, but I will share it here if anyone is interested.

Why aren't there more atheists? For one thing, humans need community and atheists are hard to herd. Even when we start up organized groups, it can be hard to keep them going. I can't count right now how many atheist and humanist organizations I've been involved with over the past 25 years. Some have faded away. Some are going strong. The only one I'm currently a member of is our small local group and even though some of us have been friends for well over ten years, it can still be hard for us to organize our social events for one reason or another. But, I cherish these friendships and always have a good time when we get together.

Plus atheists don't evangelize or have churches to invite neighbors to, like Christians do. The exception that I know of is the Atlanta Freethought Society that actually bought an old church building to hold its meetings. It's a lot of fun going there, but we no longer feel up to the drive, so it's been several years since I've visited.

Enough with the Stalin bullshit. Yes, we all know that he was a horrific, cruel leader. There are good and bad people who hold all kinds of labels and who believe all kinds of things, when it comes to the supernatural. Fortunately, people like Stalin, Hitler and Trump are rare.

Joseph Campbell was a mythologist who did a great job of explaining why humans are so attracted to religious mythology. He was raised Catholic, but started to understand that most religious mythology have similar beliefs and rituals, when it comes to a lot of things, so he spent his life studying and teaching mythology. His book, "The Power of Myth" is a good way to understand why humans cling to mythology.

Christianity is a diverse religion. Every sect seems to view it differently, while atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods. People who become atheists usually do it either after a lot of thought, assuming they've been raised in a religious home, or when something tragic happens in their lives and they suddenly lose their belief in god. A former neighbor of mine was a Pentecostal Christian until his young son died suddenly. He told us that he had been up praying all night to god to heal his son, but when the boy died, he realized there was no god to hear his prayers. Of course, those who were never exposed to religion, never have to figure it all out. I never told my own son what to believe but when I asked him if he believed in god at the age of 15, he said, "no". He's still an atheist and his wife is not religious or a Christian. I have no idea if she believes in god because it's never been important to me or to my son. She's not a Christian though.

I don't care if other people feel like they need to believe in religious mythology to have a better life. As long as they are of good character and aren't trying to influence government with their beliefs, like the White Christian Nationalists are. Those folks are an acute danger to democracy. They've sadly already accomplished many things that hurt innocent people, like for example, trans folks and other members of the LBGTQ community. They have also made it harder for women to have autonomy over their own bodies, when it comes to reproduction. They've banned books and insisted that teachers can't bring up certain topics in their classrooms, including the history of racism in the country. But you're worried about how atheist act? Spare me your judgmental attitude.

But, most people believe and try to live by the basic moral values that humans evolved to hold, often referred to as Human Universals, regardless if they are members of a religious group or if they are atheists/agnostics. I don't give a shit if I'm surrounded by Christians as long as they are decent people. I live in the Bible Belt where Christianity has been deeply ingrained in the culture. But, I've also met several atheists who attend church for their desire to have community as well as their own history of formerly being Christians. The 3 that come to mind were all Methodists. I've read that there are a lot of closeted atheists sitting in church on Sundays. Another one I knew always attended church with his Pentecostal wife, other than on the Sunday when we met for an interesting lecture and community. That was when the Humanists of Georgia remained intact. Eventually, they united with the Atlanta Freethought Society. So, don't kid yourself, we aren't the dominant belief, and we may never be, but there are a lot more of us than the statistics say because a lot of us are in the closet or really don't care to make a big issue of our atheism. I'm not here to argue with you about this. I'm merely stating an opinion based on years of interacting with other atheists and agnostics in real life and on the internet, as well as interacting and often making friends with decent Christians. One of my Christian friends refers to me as her big sister. She doesn't care or judge me for being an atheist and I feel the same way about her desire to maintain some aspects of Christianity, despite her dislike of organized religion.

Have a blessed day Soldier. ☺️ I even use some of the cultural expressions that were based on Christianity. I just view them in a secular sense because blessings can be secular. They can be gifts of friendship and charity. It's all good regardless of the origin of the expression.

The worse I experienced at work was finding pamphlets on my desk and somebody trying to convert me in the parking lot. We were talking and he suddenly started commanding me to come to Jesus. Anotjer guy did the same. He reared up like he was Moses down from the mountain, they really can get off on feeling biblical. I stood passively and said nothing. He said 'It should have worked, I had to try'. I said I understood.

I had Christian friends with whom religion was not an issue.

About 6 years ago when I was in an assisted living facility once a week somebody came in to hold a Christian meeting in the community room. Loud ranting fire and brimstone you coud hear all over the floor. Atheists are evil.

Then there is the being confuted on the street, haven't seen it in a while.

Never had an atheist walk up to me and try to sell me on atheism.

Part of why Christianity was successful was the gospel derived imperative to evangelize.

There is a Japanese island with an indigenous population, and the island is off limits. A Chrian out to spread the word went there and got killed.

People smuggle bibles into North Korea and float them over the border on balloons. Fanatical Christians.

During colonial periods Christianity was forced on native people. Central an d South America.

Here in the PNW the abducting and indoctrination of Native American kids in Christian schools. It is still an issue in the PNW, people are alive who went through it.

In the 19th century in Europe a Catholic cleric took a Jewish kid from his family to be raised Catholic. In the day it was an inernationl story. Civilian authrites held the cleric.

The famiy took it to court and lost.

A main reason why Chrtianity spread was by force. The RCC for centures had the power of enforcemnt. Today Christians continually press to have Chrtianity in public schools.

Back
Top Bottom